Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, help time. I have a pilot VP that I love, but never use. Why? Because when I fill it up, after about 10 lines it clogs up. I dip the tip in water, another few lines, Jams up again. The actual nib peace sounds like there is something loose inside of it.

So my question is, is there somewhere I can get it fixed? And if not, should I get the cap-less pen on Amazon? Is it somehow less quality than the VP? Is the stainless still nib worse? I love my VP love the pen, and it’s only 10 dollars more for a whole other body, plus a new nib/head. I figured I could just switch it with whatever body I’m using in that moment. But, if I can get this pen fixed...

Thanks thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

grack posted:

That is one horrendously ugly pen, but the (easily) removable clip is a big plus.

I think it looks fresh as hell, and will be my first pen purchase in like 3 years

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

But the G2 would let disposable pen snobs look down on you! You at least have to go for a Pentel EnerGel or something.

This is straight up my favorite non fountain pen. Gave them as a gift to a buddy going back to school in his 30’s, and he loveesss them.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I don’t waterman fountain pens get more love in this thread? One of my favorite pens is a waterman Paris from the mid to 2000’s. They’ve discontinued that line sadly.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Threads thoughts on the new sailor compass 911's coming out? I like the colors, and for $39 they look solid. I finally fixed my Pilot VP. I tried everything, and finally switching back to a cartridge made it a smooth writer again. I don't know why it's only the converter that makes the nib skip or not come out.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heath posted:

Did you have the little metal cap on while the converter was in it by chance?

What bit? the little metal thing that rattles inside the converter?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Sailor's steel nibs are really good and if they're anything like the Procolor line then they're going to be good pens. It's neat that they're packaging in a converter too, as that's usually not included.

Edit: Whoops, skimmed and misread some posts.

Good, because at $39 I can grab two, versus the sailor pro gear slim (I love the four seasons winter addition) colors I just love, but at $180-220... Yikes. My most expense pen is my Lamy 2000

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 13, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Doctor Dogballs posted:

it's because pilots converters are what we call in the industry jargon, "Toilet Garbage"

Are the Sailor converters better? I'm starting to really like some of the special additions of the Sailor Pro gear slim.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Welp after getting into the Pen Addict podcast I just ordered my first new pen in like 4 years. Never had a sailor, and after deep diving on their pro gear slims, and looking everywhere just snagged one of my favorite colors, (their four season line, I grabbed the spring one) from amazon for only a $100 instead of $180. Pretty stoked when it comes in on Friday. If I don't like how it feels in the hand it's a free return. if I do like it, their new galaxy limited addition pen the blue drawf will be had sooner rather than later.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

anyone want to join a group buy effort for the Sailor cocktail collection coming out in October? You have to buy the whole set for like two grand. I just want the 2018 tequila sunrise. Lol, I know it's a long shot just thought I'd throw that out there.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Reminder that Hobonichi's 2021 planner line up starts tonight on their websites. They are super awesome and their pages are fountain pen friendly.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I've settled on getting a sailor 1911 L (probably for Christmas) I'm excited. Just wish i was felt like I could splurge and buy like four colors. (I won't). Still, stoked.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Keetron posted:

I recently paid 85EU for a pen and it writes similar to a 25EU pen, which is just fine.
At what point will one start noticing a real difference and on what metrics is that difference most pronounced?

Pen Addict has a statement that after $300-400 range there is no difference, but taste, but to that point there can be. Really depends on the nibs from his point.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

meat glitter posted:

NICE!! i swore to myself i'd never spend more than $100 on a pen but the fresca blue 1911L is probably like my #1 bucket list pen or w/e

fresca blue is on my list, but so is the wicked witch of the west, the other blue, the key lime, and finally (the one I'll probably get) tangerine dream. If I do buy it. (Still not 100%) would the thread want pics? I'll go 1911L in medium nib. (I prefer non scratchy but not too big.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

gschmidl posted:

More expensive pens may not be about how they write but what they look like, e. g. the Nakaya Dorsal Fin which takes several months of work and curing. Or they're overpriced garbage from "luxury" companies.

yeah, from what I've seen. Though the sailor pro gear slim I tried was a very nice writer (just too small) for my hands, which is why i'm looking at the 1911L. Honestly, like others have said my "best" writer is the Lamy 2000. I figure pair that with a Sailor and really there will be no better "combo" of pens I could have for daily writers.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Keetron posted:

That is way over my price range, I'll stick to the sub 100 pens and it also means I am complete with 4 pens unless I find new colors I *need* in a pen such as a nice deep dark green.

You need to understand, I'm currently a single geek who works for himself, has no child support and a low rent situation who also has no debt of any kind in my early 30's. I can technically tax write this off as a publisher (my full-time job). If those things weren't the case, I would never, ever tell anyone to buy a pen above $100 unless it's a single grail pen like the Lamy 2000 or a single Sailor. But everyone do them. No money shaming in this hobby from me. (and other goons keep buying pens and showing photos, love seeing them all).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lastly, are the TSWBI Echo's fixed the cracking issues with the barrel? I was thinking of picking one up as well but I don't want a pen that has a known cracking/leaking issue.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

very tempted with the new stemi check to buy a sailor 1911 L (my grail pen) but instead I just got a TSWBI ECHO in all clear and calling it good. Going to maybe grab some new ink though...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

iospace posted:

I want the Sailor Habanero pen, but I can't justify yet another pen that much.

(plus I have something else I need to spend my money on so!)

I am trying to justify a 1911 (tangerine probably) before the prices go up. On Amazon the black one is $100 off... I just got my TSWBi echo and it’s nice but those sailor nibs...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

atholbrose posted:

I have a Royal Tangerine 1911 with a music nib. It's amazing. This weekend I go to pick up one of those cranberry sparkly 1911s with a Zoom nib.

And yes, Sailor nibs are really nice.

Pic? And how thick is that music nib?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

atholbrose posted:

The nib isn't three-tined, but it is a big, wide, squared-off nib -- kinda like a triple broad, as Sailor nibs go.

I am bad at pen photography, but here are these:

These are great thanks!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Feels like a lot of sailor 1911 colors are starting to vanish. I’ve been holding off buying the tangerine, but less and less places are carrying it. I may just pull the trigger. It is my grail pen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Sorry for the double-post but I have a question of my own:

I'd like to get into a smallish notebook "system" with some options for planners, blank notebooks, random other crap. I think I've settled on the Traveler's Notebook as the best option for what I'm looking for, but I'm curious about the covers. Are the actual Midori TR covers the best way to go, or are some of the knock-offs or Etsy store options better for less money? I'd like something leather, and that will last a long time with regular care, so I don't really want to save $30 on a knock off only to have the leather cracking in a year's time or whatever.

Bonus question, does anybody have a strong recommendation for any other notebook systems that I should look at?

The answer is the hobonichi techno.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heath posted:

I don't think the 2022 ones are up for preorder quite yet. They usually open up in mid September I think. Jetpens has a mailing list you can sign up for that will notify you when they open.

They’ve been up since Tuesday on the official website. How do I know? Because I placed an order for over $200 on Wednesday. (Including one for my mom). My main calendar is the larger cousin, (so I ordered a refill, Since the time traveling bird from last year is still the best big cover I’ve seen.) but I got new covers for the techo as notebooks. It’s also the last place that you can get the original Tom River paper. They have blank notebooks on their website.

The hot item that’s already sold out but will be restocked tomorrow is the animal crossing cover. I didn’t order one, but I’m tempted of making a second order to get one plus more blank notebooks. On the other hand, since sailor has a big sale going on on most of the main websites in America, I am kind of tempted to pick up a 1911 large at a discount.

It’s my grail pen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pixelante posted:

What's the magic about these things? I've heard a lot of chatter them. I prefer a planner where I can see 1 month across 2 pages. Do they make anything like that, or are they all one week per page?

Yes they have that. They’re very cool and the paper is amazing and you can get one cover you love or new ones every year. They come in small a6 and the larger a5 sizes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

iospace posted:

Got mine today!

Love it. Waiting on mine from Japan since I ordered a flower cover for my mom and it doesn't come out till the end of the month. I ordered like three covers, including that one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

looking for high Quilty click pen bodies for Pentel enerGel .07MM and pilot precise v5 needle tip refills to fit. I'm fine sanding down the end of the Pentel since they are long, but I gotta have those needle tips.

I'm looking at the Lamy CP1 click, but it looks pretty short. Any other suggestions? I already have a special addition Pentel metal body, and the pilot g2 metal body ones that work, but I'm looking more in the $40-70 dollar range for quality of body.

Basically, this will be my daily hobo notebook pen, which is why I'm fine with higher quality. (I use fountain pens for my journaling versus quick notes).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heath posted:

Would anybody have any interest in buying a Tactile Turn bolt action rollerball with brass finish, slim model? I've only had it about a month and I've come to the conclusion that I don't care for a heavy pen all that much.

Edit: I did not read the above posts

I actually should have clarified that. I really don't want heavy. Both of those suggestions are far too heavy for me.

Hence why I was looking at the Lamy CP1, but I'm just curious about if it could take the cartridge.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Friendly reminder (I've seen the brand brought up a bunch in the last few pages, and I have a few bottles myself) to not buy Noodlers anymore. The creator is a psycho alt right racist.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Me, maybe I should finally get around to getting a sailor 1911 Large in Tangerine dream. Looking online, poo poo, they’ve been taken off the market and only can find them new with extra fine nibs. )I prefer medium nibs.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

grack posted:

Well, looks like you'll have to buy a regular 1911 Large as well and swap the nibs.

I looked into that and didn't realize you could. Ugh. I guess my grail pen just got more expensive.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I am this close to purchasing a sailor 1911l ring less in the sick galaxy variant (I like the aqua one) because it’s cheaper at $260 than the other ones… lol.’

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Well I’m sure as hell getting the 823 pilot from eBay now, but the real question is do I also get the new 1911 ring less galaxy addition in the teal for only $260? Because that thing is sick

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://imgur.com/a/xX172oZ

Saw this on instagram, but what pen is this? Anybody know? I love the body/colors.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

It's an Esterbrook Camden from their premium Northern Lights collection. I think the acrylic is called Purple Alaska. What's cool about these pens is they have a matching colored nib.

those look great! thanks for the heads up. Ugh. Now I want a pilot 823, several Sailor's, and one of those... sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I get using Noodlers ink if you already own it, but folks, stop buying from a nazi please.