Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

So I am a relatively recent convert to fountain pens. I did calligraphy as a hobby for years, and then slowly moved my way into fountain pens. I started with the cheap 20$ staples special, then moves onto a MUJI- which was lovely, with a few draw backs (namely way too light, and didn't use standard sized carts) and was lost. I started using the the Pilot Varsity disposable pens as an edc, but would prefer something nicer.
Hoping you goods can help me narrow down some options.
Wants-
·A bit on the heavier side- I like pens with a little heft.
·narrow nib- the MUJI was awesome because it wrote very smooth, but the lines were narrower than most other fountain pens I've used.
·it would be awesome if it filled with a little lever like a cartoon.
·durable- I'm a little clumsy.
·under 60$? I can go more if absolutely needed.

What can we recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Is the common thing for pens to be clear plastic? I hate the look of the clear plastic even with the convience of being able to see if it needs ink at a glance.

I swear I'm not tying to be difficult- this is a perfect example of me knowing just enough to be difficult, not enough to be of real assistance.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think that they look cheap.
What's funny is that I never considered vintage pens. My wife goes to a lot of secondhand/thrift/antique/goodwill type stores. I know that I have passed up boxes of old Parkers and poo poo, because my dumb rear end never considered looking for vintage.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Now that I am heading back to school, where I'll have access to a lathe and mill, I might gut a pen and put it in a new body.

I probably won't, because effort, but its a nice thought.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ended up antiquing today- passed up on a really cool vintage Sheaffer, because I was on the fence- it was more than I wanted to spend today at 48$. Had I known it was a cool rear end snorkel piston fill (which I didn't know was a thing until today), I might have changed my mind. Did end up paying 3$ for a vintage Shaeffer Imperial (looks to be an old model 1). Pretty nice. Also ended up finding my Muji in a weird place, and dug out my Cross. Just wrote a bit with each on different types of paper. I didn't rank them- it's like having a toolbox for different uses, readers, and paper. I know that my wife can't always read my writing when using the Cross, and I'm the cheap Manuscript Clarity. The larger nibs, and larger, lighter barrels encourage me to go faster than I should, leaving sloppy and sometimes extra strokes. Great for getting things out fast, but a page or so in, it looks like an illiterate Civil War trooper trying cursive. The Pilot will stay my pocket EDC for awhile- at least until they die, as to be less wasteful.
The Muji was a good, solid performer. Rides incredibly smooth on rougher paper, and does well with a variance of widths in the letters. The Shaeffer is a nice all around performance. I'd like it a little heavier, and the vintage material and construction feels way too wrong? I expect it to be brittle, but it's not. Great pen for 3$

Now to get the converters and different inks...

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Is there a place to buy just the parts to build your own? I see the kits online, but they seem universally garbage; I know I could cobble one together by scalping an already working pen

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yes! As long as we’re all crazy, then I’m... I’m normal.

Where do you go antiquing for fountain pens? Do you go to flea markets, or to storefronts? Do you find there are a lot of pens at one or the other type of place?

Supplies question: are there recommended types or weights or brands of stationery for doodling on and/or for writing actual correspondence? I have some nice, thick paper from a fountain pen calligraphy set I bought a while back, but the supply is limited, and I’d like to use it for its intended purpose.

We come across them regularly as we look around- I know for a fact I've probably looked over a hundred before it dawned on me that I should look while we are out. We don't go anywhere specific- just see them in cases from time to time. Today I saw 5 Shaeffers- three piston fill ones- all the same model, different colors, a basic metallic tone and red plastic, and the Imperial I ended up with, that I just wrote a card out with for my wife. She, honestly, is the entire reason I have one pen, much less the handful that I have. She contribute to my hobbies and is supportive and poo poo.

It's weird to date an adult.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dad Hominem posted:

To my knowledge Sheaffer never made a piston pen as they're normally understood (ie like a TWSBI 580 or a Montblanc 146). Imperials are either cartridge/convertor or Touchdown fillers. Touchdown fillers use rubber sacs, so they really shouldn't be used unless they've recently been restored. Thankfully restoration isn't too expensive, and is also not too difficult if you'd like to try it yourself.

Thank you- I called them piston from ignorance.
The snorkel tip models- I now feel bad I skipped them now.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Is there a goon consensus on universal ink converters?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Also, has anyone personal experience with the Zebra offerings? I love their ballpoints, but everything I'm seeing is saying they use proprietary carts, and there arent any adaptors yet.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not sure where I found it, but this is probably of interest to the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNPZ-f_IWDLz2S1hO027hRQ

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I ended up watching at least an hour the other night while on Ambien.

Letterlocking is dope.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

effika posted:

Jinhao 51a arrived and is a very good pen for $10 shipped with Prime. Only issue so far is that the cap is hilariously bad, just friction fit, no stops or catches. The clutch ring is for looks only.

But the nib is nice enough and it's very pretty and perfect for Halloween spooky times.

Writing sample on a Seven Seas Writer with ivory Tomoe River paper, and Diamine Oxblood ink:

You guys are bad influences.

Effika, I got a Jinhao 51a and Diamine Oxblood because of this post. Well, the ink was certain, but i figured why not on the 51a. I used it a little today on some lovely paper and it did ok.

I also picked up Diamine Shimmer Night Sky to play with. And a Delike (what name it was on AMZ as anyway) brass bent nib EF for EDC. I am writing a few letters tonight, so i will get a better feel, but incredibly smooth, responsive, and heavy. I like heavy pens, though using this in comparison to my MUJI or vintage Shaeffer, it is real easy to get sloppy.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I wanted to get a few converters for a few of my pens, got on ebay, and ended up getting more ink, 5 pack of converters and a 10 pack of Hero pens to give to friend. I mean, at a dollar a piece, even if only half work I'd be happy.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'll just console myself and say it was to replace my Muji that went MIA during class.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm now waiting on my hero pack of 10, Noodler's African Violet, a handful of converters, and now a cheap italic nib.
I have a problem.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Got my Noodler's ink today...and have nothing to put it in. New pens get here next week.

Such is life.

Also, decided to look up the pen from Demolition Man. Roto-ring something or other. 200$. More than I am willing to spend at this point.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Got in my 10 pack of Hero 616. Other than the fill method (not a fan), and being way too light for me as an EDC, it's pretty nice. Just tried them with all my regular inks (Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Shimmery Night Sky, Noodler's North African Violet). Ink flow was good, excellent 'skritch'/friction on paper, nice line control. They did seem to pull fibers from one of my notebook pages, but that could be the paper.

Overall, not upset at my 1$ fountain pen. Some of my pen pals are getting one, too. I mean, I got 10 of the loving things.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Catching up on the thread. Not sure what the last pen I mentioned was, but ended up heading to a local pen shop (Pippi's Pen Shoppe in York, PA) after many recommendations. Ended up coming out with a Lamy AL-star M tip (should have went fine), a TWSBI Go 1.1 (1.5?) and a bottle of Platinum Citrus Black ink. The ink I am really happy with- it goes on a mustard translucent, and dries a nice OD Green.

Nth-ing the Diamine Oxblood ink.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

... And my dog just ate my less than a week owned TWSBI.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

taqueso posted:

Man's worst friend

I'm bummed, but I'm only out 18$. She can eat a million pens, and I'd still love her.
(I know this was in jest. Just want everyone to know I still love Grootifer.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My preferred EDC pen has a swept/bent nib. Do they make an italic swept nib?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

grack posted:

New Delta day today!

Sterling silver cap and grip, and sparkly turquoise barrel with an 18k nib. Also I got a random Jinhao in the mail that I didn't order. :shrug:

You make me feel better about my small collection.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This stupid TWSBI Go with a 1.1 is now my favorite pen to write letters with.

Hopefully, my dog won't eat this one.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anyone use Platinum inks? How is the stupid plastic thing in the bottle? I get that it's supposed to assist in filling, but I find it easier to fill with out it.
Also, their Citrus Black is fantastic in my TWSBI Go 1.1. It sucks in my Lamy EF. It seems to like surface area to oxidize. It goes on a faded mustard and dries like an OD when it has some area.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

North African Violet is a wonderful color in every pen I've tried.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anyone have a recommendation on calligraphy pens- I don't like the dip type, and since using nicer fountain pens, the craft store specials aren't cutting it any longer.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I haven't checked this thread in a long time.
I thought you guys were full of poo poo about this becoming a hobby.

I now have my pen shop plug in my phone, and she is doing custom order poo poo for me. I've spent more than most people I know consider reasonable on pens.

I'm not complaining, except that I've had two different dogs eat two different TWSBI GO.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

grack posted:

And this is why they're called man's best friends

They have good taste in pens- unlike you.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

grack posted:

Excuse me, I only collect the classiest, most understated pens. I know that they're classy and understated because I purchase the gaudiest, weirdest looking pens with which to compare them.

I knew a goon had to buy that Stallone design.

Today I picked up a Noodler's Ahab, another Lamy safari (gift set in new color and nib!), a few bottles of ink- Noodlers Firefly Yellow (which elicited a very excited "Antifreeze colored ink! Yes!"), Diamine Brandy Dazzle, and Birmingham Pen Co Pittsburgh Bankers Ice Rink (blue ink).

Still on order- Lamy Calligraphy set and Lamy OBB nib.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 25, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This might be a great place to ask- does anyone know of a pen carrier that I can put on my belt? There doesn't seem to be much out there besides really nice leather that I will ruin, or cheap Mall Ninja looking stuff. I'd prefer a 2 or 3 pen set up.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Needs to mount to a belt. I don't like keeping them in pants pockets, and I don't always have provisions to carry in my shirt pocket.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

aldantefax posted:

can you mount this to a codpiece or a belt buckle

also: amazon says "Raine Tactical Gear - Tactical Pen - Raine Pencil Holder - Military Pencil Pouch - Tactical Pencil Pouch - Pen Pouch - Tactical Pen and Pencil Holder", so maybe this is your jam

e: Maxpedition actually does have some decent belt mount pouches and such that you can stash pens into or any other "ready access marking devices"

The Raine keeps coming up when I try various searches, but I have exp with that company, amd they don't make good stuff.

I find plenty of pouches and sleeves for pens, just none that do what I want. Lol.

At this point, it's going either home brew or commissioning one from some leather workers/holster makers I know.

meat glitter posted:

just tuck them into your hair scrunchie like a normal person sheesh

I'm bald as gently caress, and they won't stay in my beard.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Am I the only one who likes the plastic safari more than the aluminum ones? My first was an AL, but I've gone over to plastics since.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Keetron posted:

I have a safari that is a bad writer, only when I hold the pen "just right" it will feel as smooth as my other pens. Currently I am using up the ink that is in it and then I'll retire it for when one of my boys is old enough to use a FP because I will not care if it get destroyed. I also own a Logo that looks nice but feels weird and basically has the same nib. Both pens got filled with ink in the far past and then left for a year or two before I cleaned them out recently and filled up that one. I do not remember the logo to ever be smooth but we'll see and else it will go the same route.

If you want, I have an extra Lamy nib that I'm not using. I can check the size later, if you are interested.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just accidentally bought an Rotring Espirit- the old non-collapsing version. Oops. Threw an offer out I didn't think would get accepted.
loving EBay.

Why do I keep buying pens?!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

grack posted:

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Also, the Rotring Esprit is cool. I just wish Newell-Rubbermaid hadn't neutered Rotring (though they weren't doing well at this point).

I want a 900 (thanks, Demolition Man), but can't bring myself to pay what they go for at the moment.

Does anyone use Muji? I have one, and it's a nice, slim Everyday pen. It was the first 'nice' pen I bought.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Because my Google Fu is weak, or I'm just not finding the right words.

I have a Lamy OBB nib in route; are there any other pen brands I could shove the nib in?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dad Hominem posted:

The Safari type right? It might fit the Chinese clones but otherwise I don't think so.

It's a gold nib, but I think it's their standard size.

Oh well. I guess I'll get another Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had never heard of the dude before today. I didn't make it 10 seconds before I started skipping 30 seconds at a time to see the pen.