Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Dammit Kaweco I should not have to adjust your nibs straight out of the package! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You may as well have a go at it yourself if you're going to replace the pen anyways. Try working on it with your fingers before pulling out the pliers, though.

Or you could replace it with a Plumix nib and get a sweet italic Metropolitan

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Apply 12000 grit sandpaper, write on the bottom of an inkwell and/or on rough cardboard with a bit of pressure. Should become less scratchy that way. Make sure to write not only at a normal angle, but like you're grinding the tip into a ball (so from all sides) so you don't accidentally grind one side flat like a pancake with sharp edges.

Given the circumstances wouldn't it be much more likely that there's still a minor mis-alignment issue that needs to be corrected?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kaweco Al-Sport comes to mind, lots of awesome (and cheap) nib choices but the small size limits how much ink it can hold.

Honestly, you could pick a pen you like that uses a friction-fit #5 or #6 nib and pick and choose what you want.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Yes, probably. It's quite hard to get the alignment back to being perfect though, even with a good-power hand lens to check there'll be some remaining roughness so it'll need polishing anyway.

True, but if the mis-alignment is bad enough you're going to be polishing off a good chunk of tipping material trying to smooth it. That said, you're absolutely right in that it'll probably need some smoothing afterwards anyways.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Recommendations, please!

I am looking for a reliable and sturdy cartridge-fed fountain pen for drawing and writing. I'd like the barrel to be medium or medium-large, as it gets tiring to hold a thin barrel over a long period. I would prefer the nib to gave a degree of flexibility, so that lines can be varied in thickness, though I know nothing close to a dip nib would be available on a fountain pen. I'm not especially interested in changing the nib. I'll work around what the nib produces rather than swap nibs. Price range $50-100 (buying it in UK). Would prefer to buy new as a guarantee would be handy.

Ideas?

Does it have to be cartridge based?

OR

Are you deadset on not changing out a nib?

If you're willing to compromise on one of these the choices in your price range change dramatically.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

No, I don't mind lever action (or whatever that is called) if that is a better product overall.
Likewise, I don't mind changing nibs. I am only a bit cautious as the move moveable/changeable parts there are the greater the risk of a joint failing. If the quality of build and performance is high enough then I'll consider any pen recommended here. :)

Look at something from Noodler's if you're looking for a modern pen with a flexing nib. The Konrad and the Ahab are pretty decent pens and more than usable as day-to-day writers as well. They use piston fillers. Not dip pen or vintage 14k flex but certainly not bad.

Alternatively, you could get something like a Jinhao X450 for ~$10 and install a Noodler's flex nib if you want a heavier pen. This would give you the option to use international cartridges as well as the included converter for bottled ink. There's no joint to speak of, the nib and the feed are friction fit in to the pen - you just pull them out with your hands and slide in a new nib. It's quite easy to do, video here -> http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/12/jinhao-x450x750-fountain-pen-nib.html

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

Apparently Noodlers nibs are a little too thick to fit in the Jinhao pens. They are thicker than the nibs from Goulet or the stock Jinhao nibs.

Well, I personally had no problems jamming a Noodler's flex in an X750, gave it to my dad and he loves it. Guess there might be some variation if you're saying it may be too thick.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Or you could try something like this: http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/wri...bs-new-nos.html

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Wait, it's not even a crappy piston pen?

It's a piston-filler

If anyone knows where I can get a grip section for a burgundy Parker 21 for a non-ridiculous price lemme know, yeah?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alder posted:

eBay has a bunch of old Parker FPs that are sold for repairs/as parts and I'd set up saved search to save time. Not like I'm kinda obsessed w/FPs or anything.

Oh and FPN/FPG have classifieds where you can set up WTB ads and so far I've had good luck w/finding certain items there.

Yeah, the problem is when I look at those place I invariably see the parts I want/need being sold for ~$30-$40, which is way more than I'm interested in spending.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lord Girlyman posted:

Is your 21 a super?

If it's not, richardspens.com sells hood/nib/collector units for and just the hoods for $8. They're all red, but the combined units look kind of burgundy to me.

If you're patient, you can usually find a junk P21 on eBay for less than $20. I purchased my 21 super for $11, and it was even restorable.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on those sites.

Also, couple of beauties showed up from an eBay purchase today. A Hero 200A and Wing Sung 400 with 14k nibs. The Hero is near mint, the Wing Sung is unused. Got 'em for the princely sum of $20 shipped for both.

Time to bust out the sugarcane paper.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Do they write?

They both write great. The Wing Sung needed some work on the nib, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Brian Goulet put out a video today comparing various modern flex/soft nib pens. Noodler's Ahab & Neponset, Pilot Falcon, Stipula Splash, and some $500 Omas pen. I am a little bit interested in the Neponset but ugh @ paying $75 for a Noodler's pen.

Pretty simple conclusion: Save the money and buy a Falcon

The Stipula really does look like a piece of crap, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Recommendations on an ink that's resistant to nib creep?

One of the Chinese 14k nib pens I got writes beautifully but the creep is horrendous.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alder posted:

I don't think that's possible as isn't it just something to do w/the FP itself though? I don't notice as you might be able avoid it by keeping your FPs upright in case.

Less "wet" inks tend to be more resistant to creep. I normally use Quink as it's quite well behaved, but this pen seems defeat even that. Or it's possible that the pen cap is creating suction when I take it off but this is an excuse to buy more ink.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nib creep status: Still Annoying

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Have you got a picture?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Push the feed (the black plastic part) and the nib back in to the pen with your fingers.

From your pictures it looks very much like they've been knocked out a little, which would account for the leaks and your ability to pull the nib so far up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

Wow. Thank you, grack. It clicked several mm back into there. The shaking leak problem still exists though.

It may have something to do with the ink you're using, or there's a messed up seal somewhere in the feed system because you're right, you should not be spraying ink all over the place. If you feel up to it you can try placing a small amount of silicon grease in the collar (where the nib and feed seat in to the pen) and see if that helps.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zorblack posted:

I didn't see this thread until recently, but I have always had a great fondness for excessively smooth pens such as rollerballs (I particularly love the uniball vision line). This led me to become interested in fountain pens after a brief dabble in a cheap calligraphy set.

I just picked up a Cross Stratford Fountain box set at Staples a few days ago for 20 bucks. It came with the pen and 6 disposable ink cartridges, and so far I have really enjoyed it. I'm wondering now if anyone has any experience with this pen. It's possible that it's extremely bad, and I just love it because fountain pens are amazing. If this is the case, I want to get an even better pen right away to feed my growing penlust.

Keep using it! Figure out what you like and what you don't like from the pen and then go from there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

that one guy posted:

Is there a nice/neat way to fill my pen (Metro, but any pen) with a converter? I dip the nib into the ink, squeeze the converter until I think it's full...then pull the nib out and wipe all the ink off? That part is always messy for me, is there a simpler way to do it that I'm missing, or is it just messy? Is there a good technique to use to reduce mess/wasted ink?

You could pull out the converter and use an eyedropper to fill it with ink instead of dunking the pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Anybody got some insight in regards to the current run of the Noodler's Nib Creaper? I'd like to try something with a decent amount of flex and the Konrad was a little big for my tastes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Besides the low cap-off time, it sounds very much like there's an air exchange issue in the feed of your Cross pen. This would definitely explain the sudden stop in ink flow after writing smoothly. It might be a good idea to pull the ink cartridge and give the feed and nib and good cleaning and see if that helps.

You can stick a little ball of sticky tack in the collar of your ink cartridge to prevent it from drying while you're cleaning your pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

khamul posted:

I recently bought a Jinhao x750, because although I've had troubles with Jinhaos in the past the possibility of swapping out the nib and having a nice writing, but dirt cheap pen was enticing. However, after swapping the medium Jinhao nib for a Noodler's fine no. 6, the pen only writes after forcing ink out with the converter, a laborious and messy process. Yet from how it writes when it wants to write, I'm still tempted to throw good money after bad.

Does anyone know if feeds are somewhat standardized as nibs are, so that a no. 6 feed can be swapped the same way that a no. 6 nib can be? Could I even put a whole Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy feed--nib assembly into the more substantial steel body of a Jinhao?

A) Did you clean the pen and feed first?

B) Did you try the original nib? I've personally found Jinhao nibs quite usable, and putting in a Noodler's non-flex isn't what I'd call an "upgrade".

C) If neither of those pan out it's likely the nib isn't laying flat on the feed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

khamul posted:

I cleaned the whole thing several times, and the Noodler's F nib was a drastic improvement over the Jinhao M nib. The problem is that neither writes well. I only used water to clean the pen though, but I think I'll go back and try a drop of dish soap and clean out the feed, and use pliers to fit the "shank" of the nib more closely onto the feed. I don't think the feed is made out of the same material as Noodler's pens so it would probably not be profitable to try to heat set the plastic. I guess I'll tinker with the nib and use some diluted soap to make sure the feed is clean.

Well, good luck. The feed is plastic and not ebonite so definitely don't try to heat set it. If you're going at the nib with pliers you should have a loupe or strong magnifying glass around to make sure you don't mess up the tine alignment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alder posted:

I have 2 and the plastic is way too fragile for any long term writing. Although still it's a good value, if you're not 100% certain of the FP hobby.

Remember you're here forever.

Wrap the top of the barrel and the bottom of the cap with a short strip of clear packing tape.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aergo posted:

My much beloved TWSBI mini has gone missing and I'm looking to try something new as a replacement. Is the Kaweco Sport comparable, or is there something else that is around the same size for less than $150? I am a lady with small hands, and the grip on the Sport looks like it might be too wide at first glance.

The Kaweco Sport isn't that wide and there are a whole range of different nib/color/material options in the line. If you want something compact you could also look at the Ohto Tasche or Kaweco Lilliput.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

My TWSBI mini EF nib is running kind of dry; I want to take it apart and clean the channel, but I can't tell if the nib and feed are pressure fit in the collar or not. Trying to tug it apart, there was enough resistance to tell me that they're cemented, but I might just be a huge man baby or maybe just missing the trick to them coming apart. Stephen Brown says they're pressure and just pops them apart, but they sure don't act like it for me. Do you guys have any experience with them?

They're friction fit but very tight. Screw out the nib assembly and soak it in warm (not hot!) water for about 5-6 minutes, screw it back in to the pen. Then, take a piece of non-adhesive shelf liner (the rubbery stuff with holes in it), and while gripping the sides of the nib just keep gently pulling and wiggling it back and forth and it should pop out.

Or you can try flushing out the feed with a 10% ammonia solution using a converter to force the solution in and out of the nib.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kreez posted:

My girlfriend uses a blue Kaweco Sport, and I don't think she's loaded up on cartridges or anything. I want to get her some fancy bottles of ink for Christmas, I know she'd love to just display them on her desk, and if she can use them, so much the better! I want to get her whatever supplies are needed (a converter?) so that she can refill her Kaweco with bottled ink.

If I buy this:
http://www.wonderpens.ca/Kaweco_Sport_Squeeze_Converter_p/10000654.htm

and a few bottles of whatever (do I need to worry about what type of ink? Or just go for cool colours and bottles?), is that all she needs?

Thanks!

That's the correct converter. If you're doing your shopping off of Wonderpens just make sure whatever you choose for ink is listed under fountain pen ink and not calligraphy ink.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Meh. It's $3.25. Not exactly going break the bank to try it out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Question - Does anyone here have a Moma Muji fountain pen? I got one and I love the pen. Writes well, comfortable, well made and some cool design touches but I cannot find a converter that fits. It looks like an international standard but I've tried 5-6 different international standard converters and none of them fit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Remora posted:

My googling says that Muji pens only take short cartridges so ... maybe Brian Goulet's suggestions here would help, since that is also a pen that only accepts short cartridges, or you might just be screwed.

Edit: And when I say screwed, I obviously mean get an ink syringe and refill the cartridges with whatever you want.

I have a blunt syringe already for that sort of thing, I just prefer converters.

I probably should've clarified earlier - converters fit fine in the body but they don't stay on the post in the feed because the post is too small.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

Apparently Muji changed production facilities for that pen at some point, too - some of the pens in the wild will take standard converters/cartridges and some won't, and it's down to luck of the draw which you get.

Well gently caress, that's kind of annoying. I still love the pen, though, and I've found that my surplus Faber-Castell cartridges fit perfectly so I guess I'll just refill those when they run dry.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: ^^^ Thank you! I'll look in to a Pelikan converter then.

Brightman posted:

Yeah, the TWSBI line is a pretty solid.

The TWSBI 530, 540, 580, Diamond Mini and Classic were all released with serious manufacturing and/or design flaws.

How in the blistering hell is that "pretty solid"?

grack fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 16, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ionicism posted:

Huh, didn't know that about Noodler's. I have one of his free pens that came with a bottle of Nikita, and I didn't think it flexed. Might have to dig that out.

So casting aside the idea of a starter flex pen, what's my best option under, say, $300? Is that still in the range of vintage, or should I look into having a nib modified for flex instead?

You can get a Fountain Pen Revolution Dilli with a flex nib for only slightly more than a Noodler's Nib Creaper and the Dilli has gotten some quite good reviews.

Edit: If you want vintage flex take a look at Peyton Street Pens. They stick vintage flex nibs in modern bodies for ~$100

grack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 17, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Luisfe posted:

This is the greates thing I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XpwLHPlhw

quote:

It rewrote the rules for pen design with its virile, majestic, imposing form

Uh....

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

A few years ago I bought a bottle of bulletproof black ink called "Heart of Darkness" that came with a pen where the "cartridge" was literally the body of the pen.

Unscrew the tip, use the eyedropper to fill the pen, screw the tip back on, back in business.

Was this their basic "Flex pen" that you find on Amazon?

I'm pretty sure that Heart of Darkness came with an eyedropper-converted Platinum Preppy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

My interest went very quickly from "I want one" to "nope".

Actually... Montegrappa's headquarters are about 30 minutes by car away from where I live.

I'll get my wire cutters and loot bag.

Obligatory disclaimer: just joking.

We wouldn't look down on you for breaking in to Montegrappa and looting the place.

We'd look down on you if that was the only thing you took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

My girlfriend got me a great Lamy Safari and I like the body much more than my Pilot Metro. But I like the metro's nib better (and the cartridge converter). Can I pull both the nib and the converter out of the metro and shove them in the Lamy?

No, they're not interchangeable.