Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I was wondering how people get so fond of a type of pen.

Then I remembered I have a 2mm pencil because I got so tired of snapping leads all the time.

Anyway, a few of the links in the OP are dead, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also question, re: any new pen: do they come empty or filled (particularly the Metro)?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I haven't ordered yet, which is why I asked! Rather know what I'm getting before I pull the trigger.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question two: is the ink that comes in that cartridge lefty friendly?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

I can't speak for lefty writing but I know Noodler's makes some quick drying inks for that purpose, but do your research (ie look up reviews or post here) before buying because Noodler's inks, especially the quick drying types, can be challenging.

Alright.

Does anyone have any more info? :v: I mean, I'm buying a metro as a gift for someone, and might as well grab one myself. I'm the lefty though. The recipient is right handed, and I'm getting them their favorite ink color in cartridges.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

Here is a Goulet article about six different inks recommended for lefties. 54th Mass is generally pretty well regarded.

Thanks! I know what's gonna happen now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hahaha nah. Pens ordered, one as a gift, and one for myself.

Also hey Grack!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wish you could buy empty ones. Ah well.

E: now watch someone link how to get them :v:

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 21, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As a newbie to this world, how is it bad?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How long ago did that switch happen?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I would love a vanishing point, but that price point is a bit too high at the moment.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yet another question, because I end up having a lot: how good is the included converter with the metro?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I find it interesting that the Metro is pretty much universally the "hey, start with this". Usually everyone and their mother has an opinion on "hey, this is the best starting point" for people dipping into new things.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm starting to see, without actually having my pen, why this is habit forming.

So many pretty inks!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Curiosity, more than anything, how much writing do you get out of a pilot cartridge vs a traditional ball point pen?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

A ballpoint pen is going to outlast pretty much any fountain pen, even at the highest capacity.* A larger tip or a wetter-writing pen will use slightly more ink than a finer or drier pen and thus you get less writing out of it, but the trade-off is that it adds character and consistency of writing that a ballpoint doesn't provide. It's hard to compare "how much" writing you can get, since it's affected by a number of factors. My VP with a stub nib only needs to be filled about every two weeks if I write consistently with it, about once a week if I'm writing a lot. My primary writer is a Vac 700R with a full body fill that can last for months, even as a wet writer with a stub nib. My little cheapo Platinum Preppy modded with an eyedropper fill and a super fine nib lasted almost a year as a work pen.

My fine Metro took about two weeks of near constant writing to burn through the original cartridge.

*I have actually emptied probably one ballpoint pen in my life so that's an estimate

Alright, I do do (hehe, maturity) a lot of writing, so we'll see how long the included cartridge lasts.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I got more writing out of a fountain pen than a ballpoint strictly because I don't lose my fountain pens :haw:

Now this I can believe!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, regarding ink: how toxic is it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

Protip: don't do like old TV shows and lick your nib to wet it if the pen is dry. I made that mistake with Organics Studio Nitrogen Royal Blue and my tongue was blue and tasted like I licked a penny for like an entire day.

For what it's worth too I hate that ink. I haven't used it for two years and yet some otherwise invisible spot on my desk manages to smear blue on my papers. It never, ever, ever fully dries. It is extremely pretty but it comes at a steep cost.

I've been known to lick my finger, then rub my pen on that to "unstick" ball pens in the past. Usually works too, which is silly when you think about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Captain von Trapp posted:

Some inks such as India ink won't hurt you but can screw up your pen. I think the pigment particles clog it or something. Only use fountain pen ink.

Will keep in mind!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kerbtree posted:

All bets are off on Noodlers!

Oh boy, any reason?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

Nathan Tardiff, the man behind Noodler's, is a crazy person who makes inks with some pretty extreme properties, like resistance to lasers, extra lubricantion, or freeze resistance. At one point he had a quick-drying red ink intended for lefties called Berning Red. I wonder if that will make a comeback this year.

As a lefty, in both senses :v:, I need that. I can get freeze resistance though, I'm in Wisconsin.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

This half hour screed introducing Berning Red is pretty much the full Nathan Tardiff experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXyBr3-af0
The man is a complete dingbat, but if you want the bluest blue that ever blued, Baystate Blue has you covered.

:catstare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pens came, loaded up ink, and both work!

The black Pilot ink dries actually pretty fast, so smearing won't be a problem, it seems :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No clue how long this cart will last, but it seems to be going quick?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

There's a big chunk of space filled with ink on the open cartridge that isn't filled on the unopened cartridge.

Right, the feed and the tiny bit of the cart itself. Gonna check tomorrow after work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, is it normal for the ink to be on the nib proper, not just the tip?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright! Day one of using it was fun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh no... an adorable clicky. My wallet started crying.

E: how good are platinum converters. Asking for a friend.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 27, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

I bought another Delta, and I didn't even really mean to do it.

And the Sharks are good, and I'm also the Queen of France :sparkles:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have it on good authority that the Curidas will go out mid February.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:v:

(I went to an actual pen store today, and decided well, since you're doing me a favor... I love purple)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The north African violet is a near perfect ink. Would like it to dry a tad faster, but I can use it on newspaper with minimal feathering.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, gonna shot in the dark here:

I've heard the Bernanke Black feathers very easily, as do my pilot cartridges, on "bad" paper. Is there a black ink that pretty much has the same properties as the North African Violet I'm loving: pretty quick drying time (quick enough for my lefty self), minimal feathering and bleed through. Not really worried about the other stuff Noodler's has.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, what's the main difference between a TWSBI Eco and 580?

Or, what justifies the extra 20 bucks or so?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

... I just realized that Noodler's Dark Matter is based off of ink used at Los Alamos. Which leads me to ask:

How quickly does it dry?

And how good would it be on say, copy paper? :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

Almost all of Noodler's inks have some kind of weird story behind them and are usually in reference to some historical event.

Yeah, I know, but this one is probably the most awesome, I feel.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

taqueso posted:

Stop making me want more ink!

..or don't

An ink that is a replica of the ink used at Los Alamos. Need I say more? I'll probably end up getting a sample of it.

Also, I'm loving my Eco over my Metro but I think it's more "I can see the ink and it's so cool!"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Going with the Staedtler as one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sankis posted:

Did Los Alamos have some kind of unique ink that they made there or did they just have vast quantities of quink shipped in or something? Like it's super cool that he looked at a document and copied the color but if they were just writing with sheaffer black it loses a lot

Did some digging and apparently it was a special formula for the purposes of rooting out spies. Like if pictures showed up somewhere, the ink would be identifiable or something. Similar to the Warden line he offers, I think.

howe_sam posted:

I can answer this! In a pen with a JoWo fine, it takes about ten seconds to dry on Rhodia. And on the worst paper I have at my desk (a real lovely reporter's notebook) there's almost no feathering or spread under normal writing pressure. A broader nib would probably be a poo poo show, but this is lousy, lousy paper

Dry time on the lovely paper? Otherwise sounds good to me!