Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'd like to post my gratitude to this thread--I've purchased my first ever fountain pen (gold Pilot Metropolitan with zig-zags) and I absolutely love it. It's made writing a wonderful experience. On that note, I'd like to ask for ink recommendations. I wanted a green-black ink and bought Noodler's Zhivago. I'm ambivalent towards it. It's a drab green color with black. I'm looking for a more emerald-black kind of color. I'm using Diamine's emerald for now. Does anyone have a good green-black ink recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is there any way to deal with ink that dries on the nib far too quickly? I got a sample of Noodler's Liberty's Elysium from Goulet last week and I've been using it in my EF Lamy 2000 at work. At work, I keep the cap off all day long and it's started to cake on the nib causing skipping and false starts. I really like the color, but like all the Noodler's inks I've tried, it's incredibly finicky. Is there anything I can do? For the time being, I've switched back to my standby: Rohrer and Klingner Konigsblau. The R+K is always well behaved.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

Yeah, cap the pen when you're not using it. Only takes a couple of seconds to uncap it when you need to write.

That's what I ended up doing all day today. I really need to have the pen uncapped for the way I work and how often I move around. I gave the Lamy a rest and brought my Noodler's Konrad inked up with Noodler's Henry Hudson blue. I really like Henry Hudson Blue, but it exhibits the same drying on the nib that Liberty's Elysium does. Sadly, so does 54th Mass. I think I'm going to have to ditch the Noodler's ink, which is a shame because I really like the Henry Hudson Blue.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

As nice as BSB is, I've never found it worth the headache to use over other blue inks. I'm currently enamored with Noodler's Henry Hudson Blue, Air-Corps Blue Black and Pelikan's Royal Blue. Give me a well-behaved and benign ink any day.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Private Reserve and Noodler's inks are lovely, intense colors, but they're really not worth the potential troubles. Both are heavy on the dyes and can tend towards clogs. PR inks are well documented to have mold issues. And the Noodler's inks--especially the absurdly anti-fraud proof and survive the apocalypse inks--can cause clogs because the chemicals used to attain the fraud proof ratings are particles which eventually will settle in a pen or bottle of ink. The extreme cases of bleeding and feathering Noodler's inks display are caused by the extreme amounts of surfactants put in the ink to keep their stuff from settling and clogging.

Just stick with J. Herbin, Pelikan, Waterman, Pilot or even Parker and Sheaffer inks.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

You're correct, I did forget Diamine. Diamine is great too.

I have some Noodler's ink that I do use. Both PR and Noodler's have some beautiful shades and fun properties. It is a part of the fun of having this hobby. I love trying out inks from all makers. You just have to be aware of the inks you use and be careful. Noodler's and PR inks do suffer because of the properties that make them so memorable. It's a clear trade-off.

Minenfeld! fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 27, 2014

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Which Lamy are you going to get though? The Safari, regardless of nib size, is not going to feel like the Metropolitan.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Rohrer and Klingner Leipziger Black and Diamine 1864 Blue Black are good. I tend to avoid recommending anything by Noodler's since the inks are a little iffy.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

How so? I get not wanting to risk BSB in an antique or an M600 but outside of wholesale formula changes they're consistent, stable and many mix quite well.

Richard Binder explains it better than I could. After much experimentation and playing with inks because it was fun (I've even tried the infamous BSB which is beautiful), I've come to the conclusion that I only really need Waterman inks for daily use. My Lamy's have thanked me. The Pelikan m405 has only ever had J. Herbin or Waterman ink in it. Not willing to risk that.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

If you're looking for a great blue-black, my favorite is J. Herbin Bleu Nuit or Diamine 1864 Blue-Black. Both well behaved, easy to clean and beautiful.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

howe_sam posted:

That would be news to the dude who sold me my vintage Doric, the dang thing was filled with some kind of blue ink. There was ink all over the place. On the whole though, neat pen and I would love a modern reinterpretation of it.

Speaking of which, out of Noodlers, Diamine, DeAtramentis, Iro, and Sailor which is the best choice for use with a vintage pen? Or is it more a matter of doing a good job cleaning between fills and not letting ink sit in the pen for a long time?

Diamine. Hands down.

Noodlers isn't necessarily even good for modern pens. The Iro is a little on the acidic side.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Binder is out of the pen business, but he recommends these guys. Greg Minuskin is a fuckin' dickhead, but he does work that's on the good side of average on vintage stuff. Can you post pics? There's a few of us with some amount of experience with the nuts and bolts and bits and bobs that might be able to offer some more insight.

I recommend the Indy-Pen-Dance people. I sent my Lamy 2000 to them. They did good work and communicated well.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I only have two pens inked: one white Safari with fine nib and a Vista with a medium. I used to have more pens but eventually I realized I just wanted to write and have my writing be reliable and not have to think about it. I've only got Waterman blue and green and J. Herbin Bleu Nuit in my drawer, but I basically only use the blue. I've had pens that cost several hundred dollars, but it's ultimately a pen and I need something that I won't worry about getting stolen or broken. The Lamy's are perfect.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The Safari works pretty well too. If they break the nib, replace it.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

For my first TWSBI should I get an Eco or a 580? I only have Lamys, which I love, but I'm looking to expand my pen horizons.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So, I've had Lamys and a TWSBI 580 for a while now. I wanted a new pen so, after looking around, I decided to buy a Metro since it's universally acclaimed. I've had it for two weeks now and I've gotta say...I'm not impressed. I bought the grey retro model in medium. It looks great but it doesn't hold much ink, it's a pretty dry writer with a variety of inks (I've been using J. Herbin and Waterman and not trying to gunk it up with Noodler's or some other crap) and the grip is fairly small and cramps up my hand. The nib is smooth enough but has a fair deal of feedback on any paper. In my Clairefontaine notebooks, it's an incredibly dry writer. I've looked at the nib under the loupe and it's aligned and the tines aren't touching--kudos to Pilot for making such a good nib in a cheap pen that doesn't come broken out of the box.

What am I doing wrong? Should I just get another Safari to go with my Safari and 2000? Maybe an Eco since the 580 has been nice?

Minenfeld! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 30, 2017

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

jiffypop45 posted:

I'm in the midst of a hardcore Linux study session for an Amazon Interview. My pen ran out of ink. Being the neophyte I am. I didn't think to order any in advance. Is there any hope of a brick and mortar store carrying fountain pen ink? If so what would they be? There's two local stores I saw that might work that I'll check out tomorrow but I couldn't find any on the chain office or craft stores in my area.

Don't work for Amazon. Their recruiters can't promise you enough to work in that toxic culture.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

jiffypop45 posted:

They can promise me several thousands of dollars to move me out of a state that is trying to ban me from ever using a bathroom in public as well as a lateral salary move/clearance sponsorship so I can retain my TS/sci. That's enough for now, I'm going in with the mindset I probably won't stay.

I went to the Asian bookstore and it was amazing in terms of writing supplies and fountain pens. I'll post pictures when I get home.

Ok, good reason. Your state sounds lovely. Get out of there. I have several friends that lasted anywhere from 6 months to 2 years working in Seattle in various positions. Keep a look out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So is Goulet not carrying Waterman inks anymore? I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything.