Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Luisfe posted:

Aw man, I accidentally dropped my favorite pen, and now the nib is bent to all poo poo. God drat it.

Fortunately, it was the cheapest pen I've got (The Universal Stylo Neon). Unfortunately, I can't find another one of those anymore :(

Oh well. Maybe I can fix the nib later on but god drat.

Post pictures. If it's a newer pen you can probably find a replacement nib easy enough since everything these days comes from the same 2 or 3 nib makers.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I think it's something with my batch of HoD. It seems to want to run down the tines on my other pen as well.

Noodler's inks are infamous for nib creep. It's probably something to do with Nathan Tardiff's special blend. I have a few pens I won't use Noodler's in (including my Namiki Falcon) because the nib creep looks "wrong."

Hello! I own 45+ fountain pens of various styles and ages. My collection is mostly vintage with an emphasis on vintage flex and British makes. I'm still hunting for a good full-size 52 (though I have two 52 1/2Vs that please me).

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

But if you want to split hairs, Zhivago is only partially-bulletproof - the black component is permanent but the green isn't.

Is stylos.se officially closed now, or are they still selling off their stock before closing? They had good prices on Rohrer & Klingner, even if you factored in shipping.

I like Iroshizuku because of their vibrancy and R&K because the majority of their inks are easy to clean.

(Apart from the Esterbrooks most of my vintage pens are a pain in the rear end to clean because they're lever-fill, so a bulletproof ink is going to triple my work. Esterbrooks don't count because you can just remove the renew point to get to the sac.)

[Edited because I can't spell Iroshizuku.]

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 27, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Rodney Chops posted:

I will try a bottle of Iroshizuku next. I have a technical desk job that varies between computer work and pen/map work. I leave my pen's cap off and use it a bit every few minutes. Starting easily after sitting for a while would be perfect. (Although the noodlers red-black seemed to be great for this also.) Pulling my hair out with the elysium one.

Have you considered a desk pen? I have a pair of Esterbrook desk sets I picked up for use at work and they did just fine with Rohrer and Klingner Morinda and Aurora Black. The only time I had trouble was when I went on holiday for a week and the red pen was hard to start when I returned; the black was still great.

I know there are modern desk pens available from the Japanese brands, and vintage Esterbrook desk sets were about $50 on the 'bay when I picked mine up last year.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

Arse, I got my Lamy 2000 today and I'm not happy with the nib :(

I usually write with a 1.1 italic nib so I got a broad nib for the 2000 because the sampler on gouletpens.com made it look closest to the line thicknesses I get with an italic nib. Now the 2000's arrived and I hate the broad nib - it leaves way too much ink on the paper so the drying time is excessively long and it makes my handwriting look very sloppy.

Looking at a two to four week turn-around time to get the nib changed to a fine by Lamy as it has to go back to Germany for a nib change.

Just buy another! You can never have too many pens!

I officially ran out of space in my two 22-slot pencases last month. I then bought another pen because I'm a sucker for Minuskin's "bargain" vintage posts.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

I really wish there was a better Noodler's stockist in the UK. There's only one reseller and they have such a small collection that's usually sold out. Gouletpens.com has a massive range and is always in stock but I get slammed with custom charged on top of what I've already paid. So frustrating because I love the huge diversity of Noodler's ink as well as the bottle/label design (Tiananmen Red has the best label I've seen yet).

Well, it's a trade-off... We get Noodler's, you get Pelikan Blue-Black (and possibly Mont Blanc Lavender, if the scuttlebutt I hear about that ink's disappearance over here is true), and easier access to one of the best iron-gall inks out there, ESSRI.

A member of my local FP club tells me one of his chums lives in Singapore and travels to the USA fairly frequently. Every time he flies back home, he has 10+ bottles of Noodler's ink in his luggage!

Last time I visited my family in the UK I came back to the US with one new bottle of ink. It was Noodler's Luxury Blue. :doh:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

I would honestly take Noodler's Heart of Darkness over the Namiki black. It's probably the blackest ink you'll use and is probably the best ink Noodler carries.

Interesting! I find Aurora black to be a deeper black than HoD, but my go-to black is X-Feather because sometimes ya gotta deal with crummy paper.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

If you want a vintage flex fountain pen I'd recommend camping Greg Minuskin's blog. He tends to post pens with flex nibs 2+ times a week for prices $50-100. He's a well-respected watch and fountain pen repairer and his wife does Spencerian.

For learning Spencerian or Copperplate I'd recommend dip nibs, hands down. Also look at IAMPETH for some old copybooks that will teach copperplate/Spencerian/round hand.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Those stone pens look like kit fountain pens to me, but I'm on my phone so I can't watch the video to see whether he mentions/admits the kit- or non-kit status.

If they're kit pens, you could probably find someone selling similar on Etsy and get it delivered next week, though wood bodies are more popular for kit pens because wood is easier to work than stone.

I don't like kit pens because they're usually too heavy for me and with the cheaper kits, the stock nibs aren't great. The more expensive kits have OK nibs and you could always buy a JoWo/Bock nib or a Goulet nib and substitute!

Ignore the above if they're not kit pens.

In other news, today is my birthday and I want to buy myself a gift. Options for a $100-$150 fountain pen? I prefer vintage pens and my collection has an emphasis on British and flex (I have 6 or 7 Mabie Todds, 3 Conway Stewarts and 4 Watermans) and I already have a Namiki Falcon.

Are the modern Conway Stewarts worth a look? I know they bought the name.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Oh! No way would I be buying a modern pen and looking for flex (Falcon and related speciality nibs excepted). Modern nibs can be springy and some can provide variation but in my personal book it's not the same as proper flex.

I just mentioned my Falcon since I figured otherwise someone would recommend it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thelonious Monk posted:

Anyone use a Namiki falcon? Using iroshizuku ink in it leaves a very nice line, but using the sailor nanocarbon black in it seems to make it a really dry pen. Any suggestions for a bulletproof ink that works well in this thing?

There have been reports of Noodler's bulletproofs melting the clear acrylic feeds in Pilots and Namikis, so I'd steer clear of Noodler's unless you're certain you're OK with that risk.

Personally I believe the best permanent ink is an iron-gall, but as far as I know, you won't get a deep black from any FP-suitable iron-gall.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Teach posted:

The others is a green plastic junk-show Parker that I've had around the house for years, but have only just got around to putting some Quink in to it. It's scratchy, and feels like I'm writing with a goose-quill, but it cost 50p, so I'm OK with that!

!

That's a UK Parker Slimfold (probably Newhaven?) and they're great pens, though not popular these days because everyone wants GIANT HUGE PENS FOR MANLY GRIPS.

Find a good nib-tuner to get it sorted for your hand and you'll have a great pen that just won't quit. John Sorowka sorted out mine - a 7-year-old me mangled the nib - and it's a great oblique semi-flex.

P.S. Take me to your junk shows.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Pull out the nib and feed. See the channel that runs lengthwise down the top of the feed? Run a Stanley knife or razor blade down it gently a few times to deepen the channel. Wash out thoroughly to get rid of any dust/bits you may have made, re-assemble and test. In very simplified terms, a deeper channel means more ink flow. Go too far, though, and you'll get a permanently dribbling pen.

If that doesn't get you enough flow there are other feed mods you can do with the same equipment, but just deepening the channel was enough for my last Ahab.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

xilixliadon posted:

Mixed baystate blue with bulletproof black for some very interesting results. The blue runs much, much further than the black.

Ah, the one family of Noodler's inks that Nathan specifically warns against mixing with others. You rebel. :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I use and like Clairefontaine, Rhodia, and Original Crown Mill paper. The Rhodia and Clairefontaine papers have sizing on them, which means if you run your fingers along it you'll notice that they feel a bit coated. Note that though Clairefontaine makes paper for Rhodia, the paper in Rhodia pads is different from the paper in Clairefontaine pads; they're different weights.

I find Rhodia and CF papers better for work with flex nibs or anything where you want thin lines to stay thin and not "spread"; OCM paper has a feel all its own that just screams "classy".

I've not tried enough Japanese paper to be able to judge it, and I'm too short on money and well-stocked with Rhodia right now to be able to justify trying some.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Get a nice vintage Parker '51.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

What will be the best way to loosen this thing up, especially if I don't really give a poo poo about saving any of the rest of it? Hairdryer? Heat gun? Open flame? A hammer? :haw:

If you're ever going to own or work on vintage pens, a heat gun will be invaluable.

(I will let your use of the f-word with respect to a steel nib go, even though it pains me.)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Steel nibs can be great - I love my LAMY and my Reynolds - but you can never make a steel 'flex' fountain-pen nib that performs like a vintage gold nib could.

The Noodlers Nib Creaper, the Stipula T-Flex, and the Platinum cool are marketed or purchased based on the mythical magical 'modern flex', but try them in the hand against a vintage gold nib and you'll notice that the feel so very different. The more vintage pens I acquire and use, the more firm I become in this belief.

For steel nibs I gladly use the word 'variation', but not 'flex'. Of course, that's just me!

(Note to self - scan pen/ink journal to share examples of vintage flex versus modern variation.)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

don't anybody sit on a throne and scowl down at the unwashed peons because their writing tool isn't as bendy in places as yours

You'll take my Sheaffer snorkel throne from my cold, dead, hands.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

You could also try some other irongall inks. Rohrer+Klingner make a good one, Diamine make one, and there's the old reliable ESSRI. ESSRI is my favourite iron-gall.

Just got back from my local fountain pen posse. Some dude brought his giant collection of pens; I suspect he had more than $15,000 worth of writing instruments with him. Some gorgeous Italian and Japanese pens in there, amazing range of celluloid colors, and a few Swans I wanted to adopt. I hope he doesn't continue collecting Swans though, he'll be pricing me out of the market.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

That pen they got for sale there with the ink, is it any good? Is it somehow designed for use with this ink or am I just thinking too hard about this?

Looks like a Parker Vector; they're common pens. Nothing special about the one on the site as far as I can see.

You can use commercial iron-gall inks with most pens; just don't mix with regular inks (and make sure to clean the pen well before you switch inks) and don't leave a full pen sitting for weeks with i-g ink in it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Nothing in that range is going to have swappable nibs like the LAMY pens do, but the Pilot 78G comes to mind because i have one.

They're on Todd's site - isellpens - and probably Amazon, too. They're asian-market only so Goulet etc wont have them.
Much less than $30, they have a plastic body. Comes with a converter for bottled ink and takes Pilot cartridges. The "B" nib is what you want; it's not really "B" - it's more italic.

The nibs might be swappable with the Pilot Plumix; I haven't checked.

But really in the $30-$50 range there are tons. What look do you like?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 13, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

MB Racing Green is out of production, so don't get too attached to it!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Duro posted:

The Mont Blanc Blue-Black is supposed to be really nice, though it might be Iron Gall

You're not a fan of iron gall? Tell me more.

I love 'em, and have some iron-gall blends mixed up by a crazy german pharmacist that aren't plain blue->blue-black (I have green->black, orange->sepia, turquoise->blue-black).

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Considering Nathan Tardiff's political views that's not far wrong.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Kheldragar posted:

Writing with it upside-down actually worked. And the funny thing is, is that soon after posting that, writing it the normal way didn't make me miss any letters or parts of letters. The problem was sort of like when I just start using a calligraphy pen after not using it for a while - the ink just won't come out. I noticed that in a lower case "t" (which looks like a + in my handwriting), the line straight down simply had no ink on it, but the line across did; as if it was dry for that stroke. I just started using it, so maybe I had to give it some time.

That's known as "hard starting" and can be caused by a nib flaw known as "baby's bottom". I'm on my phone right now but Richard Binder's site has a nice discussion of baby's bottom and how to fix it.

The easiest fix may be to grab a brown paper bag and draw a bunch of figure 8s. The brown bag is a wee bit abrasive and will smooth out the bum shape. Make sure to test frequently so you don't abrade it too much.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

aldantefax posted:

So I've tracked down three brick and mortar stores that have fountain pen displays and inks of various sorts in the SF Bay Area

Have you joined the SF Pen Posse yet? We usually meet in Millbrae.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

aldantefax posted:

poo poo, a posse? Hook me up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157316137670380/

Poom!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I'm not a big fan of blue inks - they remind me of school - but my favorite blue-blacks are iron-gall blue blacks. Since you're on Goulet anyway, try the R+K Salix.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

You probably have baby's bottom or your tines are too far apart. Review Richard Binder's Nib Primer for the basics; you can move on to his Nib Smoothing Workshop notes if you want to learn more about fixin' nib issues.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 7, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

Great idea! There's one for the parts of a pen, but I guess there are a few more esoteric words that would be helpful to have there. Feel free to toss in ideas of what I should add, folks!

Take your pick from the definitive glossary..

Seriously, I know I mention Binder a lot, but anyone who is interested in pens should spend a little time poking around his site, especially the glossary and articles. They are very well done and hugely informative.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Might be a Skripsert - did she have a case for it or have it as part of a matched pair?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

If Brightman's got the set still some of 'em are mildly sought after.

I personally never got along with post-lever Sheaffer's; I have a Craftsman just to round out the collection, but I don't really enjoy it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

Is there a solution I should be looking into to still have the fountain-pen-goodness but without the mess? Should I try an inkwell (warning: I'm a bit of a clutz)? Find a pen with a different filling mechanism? What should I be researching?

Cartridges?

If you want to keep using bottled ink rather than cartridges, investigate the TWSBI Diamond and the TWSBI Diamond inkwells. They are built to complement one another so you can fill the pen without really having to touch the ink.

Oh and you can attach an international converter to the TWSBI diamond inkwells, if you use a pen that takes int'l cartridges - LAMY's not one of that flock though.

If you fancy vintage, probably the premiere pen to avoid inky fingers is the Sheaffer Snorkel.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

Wipe the grip off with a tissue afterwards and it'll be clean and you won't get inky fingers.

Heck, if you buy LAMY ink, the bottles have a plastic container in the base that's full of blotting paper. I'm ont a fan of LAMY ink, but I do like their bottles.

I'm thinking about taking a picture of my collection (40+ pens, minus 4 Mabie Todds that are out being repaired). Any interest? I don't want to flood the thread with pictures no-one cares about.

I've got writing samples too, but they're in a notebook I'd have to scan.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Buy some ink-NIX, it's great at removing ink stains.

But if you get a Noodler's bulletproof or iron-gall on anything with organic fibres (e.g. a cotton shirt) it's never coming out. Those inks react chemically and the only way to remove them is with a laser (and even that's not certain; Nathan insists his BP inks are laser-proof).

I have a stash of empty int'l short cartridges and Pilot cartridges "just in case", but both are readily available with ink already inside them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

We used to have a similar problem in my industry with cleaning hands and they came out with the really powerful cleaner that worked wonders called MEK, and all the old timers started getting kidney and liver problems from the solvents being absorbed through their skin.

MEK is not uncommon in the vintage FP world, either since it can be used to mend cracks in, erm, either celluloid or acrylic, I can't recall right now. Got me a bottle in my little "home fixin' kit" next to the shellac and brass shims.

Note to self: don't drink alcohol after using MEK, yer liver's not that strong.

Pictures coming shortly; turns out I've got 43 fountain pens on hand and about 1 gram of photographic talent.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

All right! Here's part 1 of my little collection, along with labels so I can wax melodic about each one. Those of you who are on FPN or other FP boards may be able to work out who I am since I have a couple of 'one of a kind' pens. I politely request that you not go all Internet Detective on me since I'm quite boring.

If you would like a better picture or more info about a pen, let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Batch 1. This is a melange of "pens I'm likely to get rid of soon," "non-flexies," and "in use":

1. Sheaffer Craftsman. Touchdown (plunger) fill, open nib. As I've previously mentioned, I don't get along much with it but feel I 'need' it for a complete collection.
  2. Super fancy supermarchée pen: a Reynolds. I'll talk more about Reynolds on a later item.
  3. Cracked ice Conway-Stewart 27, owned by my grandfather. Lovely smooth nib, in a popular colour for collectors and with a wide gold band.
  4. Pelikan Pelikano from 1989. This was the sort of pen I used in school, though not the exact pen.
  5. Chinese made Cross Century II; an inferior version. Has a dent in the lid, which Cross refused to fix under their "lifetime" warranty.
  6. Peter Pan pen. The nib needs re-tipping, hence the label on the barrel.
  7. Custom-made celluloid by Shawn Newton; the first celluloid pen he ever made. The material is "purple web" and it looks boring unless it's in full light.
  8. Parker 45 flighter. One of my Dad's pens, I still have the box, warranty papers, and receipt from a stationery store in Bath. I believe he bought it in his last year of University or just after getting his degree.
  9. Chelpark piston-filler from India. I pulled out the flexish steel nib and swapped it with one from another pen.
  10. Esterbrook desk pen, red-tailed. An uncommon tail colour.
  11. Esterbrook desk pen, clear tailed.
  12. Esterbrook desk pen, black-tailed. Pen itself has a "State Farm Insurance" imprint.
  13. Parker '51 in a deep Burgundy, though the light makes it look red. Made in Newhaven in 1953, this was my step-grandfather's pen. The barrel was cracked, but I was lucky enough to source a replacement from 1954.
  14. Pilot 78G, black barrel, M nib. Originally glossy, I mattified the body with careful abrasion so now it doesn't show fingerprints.
  15. Mont Blanc Monte Rosa. One of my mother's school pens, the nib is 14C and capable of flex but the feed won't keep up. I have never seen another Monte Rosa in this model; usually they're older and have a gold-trimmed resin cap, or more recent and have a Parker 45 style hooded nib.
  16. Irish-made Cross Century II. An older version of number 5, with a gold nib and better-made overall. This pen was a graduation present from my grandmother.
  17. Conway-Stewart 58. Another of my grandfather's pens; I haven't used it since it returned from being restored but the nib is a Duro stub.
  18. Blue LAMY Safari. Another pen from my Dad, he bought this shortly before he was incapacitated.
  19. Red mottled Reynolds pen. Reynolds were a French pen brand, and their inexpensive stylo-plumes were my pen of choice in school. I could spend hours in the pen aisle of French supermarkets staring at all the pens on offer. I got rid of or lost all my fountain pens when I moved to the USA, and so had to seek out and buy replacements - at much higher prices, since they're no longer made.
  20. Flat-top Parker in "Black-Tipped Jade." This is from the year before Jade became an official colour in the Duofold range, so I can't rightly call it a Duofold. Currently inked with Squeteague; nice firm nib with a Lucky Curve feed.
  21. Waterman 21/2 V in black chased hard rubber (BCHR). Currently inked with Rohrer + Klingner Alt Bordeux. The nib gives good variation and the chasing and imprint are so crisp you could swear this pen was just made. Some bastard nicked the pressure bar, so it's been out of commission for a few months until I got a new one put in.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 18, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Batch 2. Flexies.

1. Esterbrook J, in a "root beer" brown. The nib is a 2048 Flexible Extra Fine Falcon, hence the weird shape/look. Esterbrook renew-point nibs are steel, so even the ones labeled "flexible" won't approach the flex of a good vintage gold nib; it's nicer feeling than the Noodlers flex nibs, though.
  2. My first restoration, a "Nova" pen most likely made by Mentmore. One of the fins is broken off the feed, so I don't flex it much when I use it.
  3. Mabie Todd Swallow in BCHR with nickel hardware. The barrel has a crack, which is a pain in the butt because hard rubber cracks can't really be fixed. One possible solution is to pop in a brass sleeve to reinforce it but since that's p expensive and the crack isn't in a load-bearing area I just pretend it doesn't exist. Should I ever want to sell it on I'd probably do the sleeving.
  4. Burgundy twist-fill Mabie Todd. Twist-filling died out pretty soon after it was introduced, and for good reason; filling with more than a mere dribble of ink requires slow and careful operation.
  5. Gold-filled Wahl in "Greek Key" design, with a #2 nib. This is a glorious pen, and if it weren't so gaudy it would be my daily user. The nib has incredible variation and snapback.
  6. Gold-filled Eclipse with a Twinpoint nib. The nib has a little crack above the breather hole so I don't push it.
  7. BCHR Eclipse, with a Pick nib. This is a Frankenpen, but the nib's a flexy stub so it's not the kind of unholy creation that gets hunted down by villagers armed with pitchforks.
  8. Aiken-Lambert "Lady Dainty" from Richard Binder's monthly pen tray. Snagging a pen from that tray is danged hard; you have to order within the first 3 minutes after it's posted or everything will have gone.
  9. British Parker Slimfold, from Newhaven. Either my grandmother or mother's pen, this came to me with a mangled nib that required some expert attention. Now it's a flex stub and a happy writer.
  10. Namiki Falcon, resin, soft medium.
  11. Conway-Stewart 58 in blue hatch. Another of my grandfather's pens, this one has the date of acquisition (June 1949) sellotaped onto the lid. During restoration I could have had the label removed, but it's been on there ever since my grandfather got the pen and the cellulose tape might have chemically bonded with the celluloid of the pen, or something.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

T-T-T-TRIPLE POST!!!

Batch 3. More flexies.

1. Red mottled hard rubber (RMHR) pen, branded "Ty-phoo Tea For Indigestion." These pens were available by mail-order; all you had to do was send a few shillings and plus clippings from Typhoo containers. The nib, a 14k Warranted, is very fine and very flexible.
  2. BCHR Ty-phoo tea pen, with a silver accommodation clip. The underside is very browned, most likely due to storage in a damp area. Again, a 14k warranted nib that's small in size but very flexible.
  3. Waterman 3, from Canada. The first owner of this pen took off the newer-style clip and replaced it with the clip from a Waterman 33. The nib's a nicely-behaved flexible Ideal.
  4. Peter Pan pen. Unlike the blue one, this one has a fully functional nib.
  5. RMHR/woodgrain Waterman's 42 1/2V. Small, pretty, flexible, woodgrain.
  6. Pick pen. Pretty much an exact copy of the Pick pen that gave its nib to the Eclipse in an earlier post, this was a Greg Minuskin purchase. Purchasing from Minuskin, like Binder, is more competition than consumerism.
  7. Eyedropper-fill Chelpark with an Indian steel "flex" nib (like the Noodlers flex nibs).
  8. Noodler's Konrad in Narwhal.
  9. Purple Reynolds pen (a sibling to the red Reynolds posted in an earlier batch), with a steel "flex" nib.
  10. BCHR "Higbee Company" pen. May have been made by Mabie Todd.
  11. RMHR Waterman 12 eyedropper with a slip cap.

And finally, some glamour shots:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Verdugo posted:

It's funny. I don't live in San Fransisco (or anywhere close) and I am a member of that group on facebook. There are some nice pens featured there, especially the custom ones.

Last time I went I sat near a dude talking about his custom Nakaya. He ordered a multiple-thousand-dollar pen, requests a kanji of his own name in maki-e, waits 6 months for it to be completed, and when he gets it the kanji is 5 degrees off from the center of the zogon when the pen is assembled. In his eyes the pen is ruined.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 28, 2013