Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I have a handful of vintage Esterbrooks and some others. The reason I don't use them more is that they are inconvenient and messy to fill, and no matter what I do I always get massive ink stains on my hands. I did play with a Namiki Vanishing Point at the Fountain Pen Hospital which was cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I've been out of the fountain pen game for a while. I have a handful of 60+ year old Esterbrooks, most with the desirable nibs. I stopped using them because filling them was tedious and very messy. I believe the caps also had dried ink in them form decades of use, as ink residue would make its way onto my hands after capping from areas that seemed entirely clean.

About 2 years ago I was at the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC for some kind of exhibition and I remember trying out a Namiki Vanishing Point with the Yama Budo ink. It was nice, but I wasn't in the mood to pay for one. Now I have some extra cash from a bonus at work and am thinking of getting one. Good idea, bad idea? Are there better values to be had? Any flaws with the pen I should know about?

This vendor from Japan has it at a very low price compared to pretty much everywhere else I've seen online: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-NAMIK...=item20d83bd6e0

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Vanishing Points are great and a common recommendation to people looking for an everyday pen. The clip placement bothers some; if it does, there are a couple of vendors that will sell them with clips removed (this does affect the warranty/return process). You can get replacement nibs from vendors, and if you want one customised I know both Binder and Mottishaw will do custom grinds.

I can't tell if thats a regular VP or the Decimo; the Decimo is a little slimmer. Namiki are the fancy Pilot brand (e.g. Lexus vs Toyota); IIRC most VPs are sold under the Pilot marque in the USA and UK; you might find more deals with 'Pilot' than 'Namiki'.

(If you're looking to get rid of your Esties, I have a small family of 'em and they welcome new friends.)

Thanks for the info. I'm actually really in love with the matte black model (that's the one I played with) but it's just too much money. Are there any other similar pens, or is that really the only option for a retractable?

I'm gonna hold onto my Esties, I like the way they look :3: But if ever that changes I'll keep you in mind. I'd rather they go to someone that can appreciate them than some random on eBay.

I might actually finally get a wood lathe like I'd meant to and start turning pens.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

RustedChrome posted:

Sorry, I meant the Dialog.
One of those metal pointy things, you know.

That's a gorgeous pen :syoon:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

RustedChrome posted:

Just make sure you buy it from a dealer who will let you return it if the nib is bad.

I'll probably make another trip into the city and check out the fountain pen hopsital, where I should be able to inspect and maybe test them before buying. Actually I should see if they have any events coming up again where I can really play the field.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

milpreve posted:

In general, how does one do this? I made some ink with tea and gum arabic, and I want to write with it without risking my Metro. I also have some other homemade inks, like a lovely oak gall from a friend. But my Metro is my daily pen, and I can't afford another right now.

Never use iron gall ink in a fountain pen, you will corrode it really badly. Dip pens only for that. I imagine your homemade tea ink would be best for a dip pen as well, but I can't say for sure because I've never heard of it before.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

This is nonsense, FYI. Commercial iron galls are just fine in pens as long as you don't leave them unattended for 3+ weeks.
Fair enough, I was just repeating what I was told when I started fountain penning.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

duckfarts posted:

Anybody know of any budget dip pens, preferably for calligraphy? I found a sweet pen shop that sells some :siren:gold:siren: ink, but I'm told you can't load it into a standard pen(which makes sense).

How budget? I think J. Herbin glass pens are neat as heck, but they won't do if you're looking for flexy nibs. I think Sheaffer and Staedtler and a bunch of others offer very cheap calligraphy sets. Speedball offers ones in the sub :10bux: range

e: Look to get a box of Esterbrook "Assorted Drafting" nibs if you're really into it. You get a box of 144 of them in various types and sizes and then you just need to get a holder for them which should be simple

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

aldantefax posted:

Hey. Tell me about vintage pens. Estebrooks, Watermans, Schaeffers, whatever. The local Pen Posse has told me that if I want to look into flexy nibs and italics that vintage pens are ones not to sleep on. I'm looking for durable, easy to maintain, sub 70 bucks, flexy nib. Suggestions?

I'm not into flex nibs so much but Esterbrooks are one of the great values in fountain pens. They're well-made and though they have their followers they aren't a "big" name so even their best stuff doesn't go for too much money (though sometimes the rarest nibs alone can cost more than a complete pen with a still good but less magical nib).
I second this:

breathstealer posted:

Find an Esterbrook with a 9128 nib if you can. They're quite sought after and increasingly rather pricy but should still be within budget. As far as steel flex nibs go they're amazing, and much better than the Ahab I think.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

edit: I really need to find ways to write more.

Whenever you're at a desk or something just have paper there and write, doodle, whatever. I find it helps me practice my technique while also helping me think. I get fidgety when I'm bored so it's also good to have something to occupy my hands

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Placed an order and got a Platinum Desk Pen, but no base. I think I'm gonna try to make my own. Got an eyedropper Preppy also and some notebooks.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

My Platinum desk pen and other goodies should come in tomorrow!
I've been thinking of making my own base to hold the pen in and had a few ideas for a sort of non traditional but still classy looking stand. I'm thinking a wooden block with some lead weights in it and little rubber feet to stop it from sliding and an angled hole in the top with the pen cap glued into it

I want to paint it with the technique I used on this picture frame. I don't think the picture captures it perfectly, but it has a sort of glow to it that's just irresistible. Every person who's seen it in person loves the way it looks and I think it could work well for a desk item.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Gonna make your pen match your guitar? :v:

I'm just so in love with this style of finish I want to put it on everything :kimchi:

But I'm envisioning a more understated version for the desk set compared to the flamboyant guitar

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Got my Goulet order. I did receive Noodler's 54th Massachusetts as the free ink.
Also some tiny Apica notebooks for pocket usage.

The platinum desk pen feels nice, if a little too light. It looks good and I've just popped the cartridge in and will put it on a test run postehaste

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

lady flash posted:

The show was fun. I managed to complete my Esterbrook J collection and picked up a Pilot Metropolitan. 4 pens for $84! The black esterbrook was sold as parts without a nib but it has a good sac in it and I have an extra nib already.

I have a green Esterbrook just like yours. It's possibly my favorite just because it looks so cool. I'm going to have to dig mine out and take a family photo

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Has anybody tried the Platinum Preppy markers? Considering getting one and making it an eyedropper, but I can't find any examples of how they write. It would be fun to have some nice fountain pen ink in a marker for use where a normal fountain pen isn't appropriate.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

CoolCat posted:

Who recycles their old cartridges?

My brother refills cartridges for his Lamy Safari rollerball with a syringe. He says it works pretty well, but after a few uses they get gummed up and stop working.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Kerbtree posted:

Kaweco themselves have a tiny squeeze converter, Monteverde have a mini converter that iirc fits and I'm sure there's at least one more.

Coincidentally I was just looking into the Monteverde converter and saw a bunch of reviews from people that tried to use them in Kawecos but had no success. I kind of want a Kaweco sport but not if I have to buy cartridges.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

grack posted:

Kaweco does have a squeeze converter for the Sport series. Also all the plastic/resin Sports are great for converting to eyedroppers.

I've only had one eyedropper pen but it was annoyingly messy. Might try the squeeze converter though, thanks for the tip.

e: technically now I have another eyedropper. Found out that you can rinse out and reuse the Pilot Varsity. I had one near death on my desk, so I frankensteined it with a syringe and some black Noodler's.

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 1, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Aforementioned Pilot Varsity conversion is holding up well so far. No leaks, it starts up right away, and it's a great writer.

Now I'm looking at a Rotring Artpen in 1.1mm italic...

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I have a Pilot Parallel in 1.5mm on the way! I need some italic in my life.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I have to say I'm really not a fan of Noodler's anymore. Many of the inks are beautiful, but they're astonishingly temperamental. The only one I can say I still like is Noodler's Black, but I like Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black much better.

Side note: can anyone take a few pics of the feed and nib of a Pilot Metro? I have a frankenstein idea, but I'm not sure if what I want to do will work.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks, sorry I should have specified I need to see them outside of the pen so I can tell if the feed from a Pilot Parallel will fit.

(also if whoever can do that can also measure the diameter of the feed and how deep into the pen it goes that would be cool too c: )

e:

pienipple posted:

Haha! I ripped a chunk out of the cap liner but that moved it far enough up to fix the problem of the cap not seating.

Topher, here is a gallery of the feed and nib out of a metro, didn't want to post a bunch of huge images: https://goo.gl/photos/gmj16V1r8pKFfSLg7

Whoops didn't see that! Thanks! It does look like it's basically the same, but the parallel's is shorter. I think I'll end up giving it a shot if I don't like the body of the Parallel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

grack posted:

It would've helped if you'd mentioned you wanted an italic nib for a Pilot. The nib + feed from the Plumix is fully interchangeable with the Metropolitan and a bunch of other Pilot pens.

Ah, but the Plumix has too small a nib for my taste! And it lacks the whole Parallel gimmick. I'm blazing new ground for a reason!