Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Welp, i just bought my first vintage pen, a Doric on eBay for a not extravagant amount of money. This was probably a dumb decision, but I do so love faceted pens, and it's a pretty color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

Pelikan it is, then.

M600 in medium, to be precise.

Good pen, great nib.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

blowfish posted:

Fountain pens must be shipped empty because chances are they'll leak when bumped around and subjected to plane cargo hold conditions.

That would be news to the dude who sold me my vintage Doric, the dang thing was filled with some kind of blue ink. There was ink all over the place. On the whole though, neat pen and I would love a modern reinterpretation of it.

Speaking of which, out of Noodlers, Diamine, DeAtramentis, Iro, and Sailor which is the best choice for use with a vintage pen? Or is it more a matter of doing a good job cleaning between fills and not letting ink sit in the pen for a long time?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Heh, in his latest YouTube QA Brian Goulet gets salty about Japanese eBay and Amazon sellers who are undercutting him on price. Sorry for buying pens way cheaper than you can offer Brian.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Goulet also has one of the better designed web stores out there. And based on that Q&A I bought a bottle of Noodler's and hopped on that BOGO for the Jinhao x750s with number 5 nibs, so Brian's marketing works.

mikeycp posted:

What exactly are ink syringes for?
Filling pens, sample vials, and ink wells. I also use mine when I clean my pens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Any of you guys have a favorite pen roll or other pen carrying case?

The PenHabit guy (who was a year behind me in high school, small world) reviewed a couple NockCo products over the weekend. Their pen roll looks rather inelegant, but practical, while their three pen case seems pretty nice for that sort of case.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: Actually, massdrop seems like a real evil place for fountain pen people.

I have seven bottles of ink due to arrive from Massdrop in the next month, so you ain't lying.

Hopefully that, plus the three bottles I have coming in from Penchalet, and what I already own...forty-three bottles of ink is enough right? :ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

Or maybe some more R+K

This reminds me that Solferino is a dope purple and I should use it in a pen soon.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Antietam is dope like that :unsmigghh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Konrad is a piston filler right? Why not just use that?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of any European brands that make really great products. As far as pens go Lamy is the only one I can think of that is on the same level as the stuff made in Japan in terms of price, durability, and design.

Pelikan? If nothing else their piston fillers are impeccable.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Get the purple, live a little.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

RIP cool Bungbox bottles :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I have no need for another red ink, but I feel like I need to own that :bernin:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

^^^
Isn't there some trick you can do with a pencil eraser to tighten that insert, or am I thinking of a different pen?

Nanami has Seven Seas Writers back in stock, and the one I ordered just showed up. It is pretty much the perfect A5 sized notebook, except that my preference is for white, not cream, paper since I think it makes colors pop more.

Still, Emerald of Chivor is ridiculous, and R&K Solferino and DeAtramentis Aubergine are also displaying impressive sheen. I desperately need to empty a pen so I can try out Oku-Yama, that should be spectacular. Bung Box Hatsuyume Aofuji has been the lone disappointment so far, too pale a blue for cream colored paper.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Goons I'm in the market for a ~*fancy*~ pen to celebrate my quite frankly obscene annual bonus. Price is nominally no object but I'd rather not spend more than 500 or so. Currently leaning towards a 3776 Celluloid, so if anyone has any experience with one of those I'd love to get some feedback.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

atholbrose posted:

A pen I'm glad to own, and a wonderful writer.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I emptied my 4.5oz bottle of heart of darkness! Into an empty iroshizuku bottle, but still, that's progress.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I can't even imagine using one of those gaudy, diamond encrusted, gently caress-off expensive monstrosities. They look so uncomfortable to hold.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

My celluloid 3776 showed up today :woop:

I haven't inked it up yet, and probably won't until my order of Bung Box shows up, and I think the cap is a little too big in proportion to the barrel, but that material :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Noctis Horrendae posted:

What are you fellas' thoughts on the Waterman Hémispherè?

If you like slim, slightly overpriced, pens they're real good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This doesn't change the fact that I think those Homo Sapiens Florentine Hills demonstrators are drop dead gorgeous, and I'd love to own one. No way in hell I'd pay full freight for it though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

How old is the Metro?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So my birthday is coming up, and that made me do a rash thing.

For as much crap as Visconti gets, so far I'm really enjoying the pen. The nib, a medium, is maybe the smoothest i've ever used, and I mean come on, look how gorgeous it is.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

Hey, when Visconti gets it right the pens write beautifully, no argument there.

Yeah, that came across as maybe a little argumentative, which I didn't intend. I was trying for more yay, I got a good Visconti nib.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Holy cats, I just got in a bottle of Bung Box Saphhire and :stwoon: This is what a blue should be.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bung Box retails at Vanness for over forty bucks a bottle, so that drop is a decent deal compared to that. I think the bottles are cheaper if you buy direct from Bung Box via Amazon, but they also ding you on the shipping.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

You could always unscrew the nib unit and really flush out the guts of the pen that way.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's a screw-in nib unit on the large Homo Sapiens (and maybe the small one too). Technically it requires a special tool, there's a dude selling CNC'ed knock-offs on eBay for ten bucks, but I've been able to just unscrew the nib in my Blue Crystal just using my fingers like any Pelikan.

Brian Goulet did a quick how to in one of his Q&A's a month or so ago.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sailor Oku-Yama is dope, especially when you use it with a broad enough nub to get some sheen going.

R&K Solferino is a really nice, bright purple.

I've been playing around with a sample of Noodler's Habanero, it's a more orangey Apache Sunset, which makes it a little easier to read.

And then Emerald of Chivor, the base color isn't all that outrageous, but everything else about the ink is bananas.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CrimsonSaber posted:

Because plastic just *screams* quality. :agesilaus:

It's not plastic, it's :airquote: Precious Resin :airquote:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Paper plays a big role too. You want something that doesn't absorb all that much ink.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

Also I bought a Pilot 845. Seriously, it just jumped in to my Amazon cart and I couldn't get it to leave. drat you, pretty pen! drat you! :arghfist::saddowns:

Now there's a fancy pen, shame that I think ball clips look doofy. Still though, fancy.

After owning my Home Sapiens Crystal Swirls for about two months now I can say that holy crap this pen holds a lot of ink. Which is good because the nib is delightfully smooth and wet. I enjoy it so much I picked up a Florentine Hills on the cheap. Unfortunately lost the Visconti nib roulette with that one, up strokes are super dry and it's nowhere near as wet overall as the Crystal Swirls. Despite that I'm saving up for a London Fog, I'm just a sucker for those swirls. :negative:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Looks like a Metro to me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yep, you can fit one of Pilot's small converters in a Parallel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The barrel of the parallel tapers too much to fit a Con-70, if you really want the extra capacity eyedropper the sucker.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I pretty routinely bring my nicest pens into work because that's where I do most of my writing, and I feel fairly secure in doing it because I work in a fairly secure portion of the building and I trust my coworkers. However, all the nice pens come home with me every night. I do keep a couple Jinhaos, a Lamy Vista and a Metro in the pen cup at my desk

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Just an FYI, the Vac 700 is a pretty wide pen, so you can't get the nib all the way down to the bottom of a sample vial. That might hurt your ability to get a good fill depending on how much ink is in the vial. Of course you can always unscrew the nib unit and fill the pen via a syringe

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I love everything about the Lamy 2000, except for the fact that my hand tends to slide up the section and that makes it cramp up. Other than that, great pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yep, that Hawa'ii is a pretty pen. Though I'm still trying to figure out why they'd also offer it as a lever filler.

Setting aside some of its, uh, "quirks", I don't think I've ever held a more comfortable pen than the Homo Sapiens Bronze Age. It's my new black ink, long writing session pen. I should have enough pennies saved up next month for a London Fog to complete my set, love the ink capacity on those crystal Homo Sapiens

I also recently picked up a bottle of Akkerman Shocking Blue, and holy poo poo that is a gorgeous ink :stwoon: