Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I kinda want to buy a set because at regular price webnotebooks are expensive but I've never joined a Massdrop before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

vigorous sodomy posted:

Now I have these pens that total about $400 or so and 5 bottles of inks with tons of persnickity fancy paper I don't use. What do I do or how do I get back to writing?

You can always sell the FPs you're not crazy about and look for a new hobby?

Or you could take up journaling and collecting stationery while entertaining aren't really useful hobbies. FPs were a branching off point because I used to collect roller ball pens and notebooks too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

I would have no bloody clue as to where to take something like that in order to have it customized for "extra flex"; is it too different out of the box?

Nibs.com offers added flex for the Pilot Falcon purchased there if you're interested.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

blowfish posted:

Vintage? Mabie Todd pens. Somewhat affordable in the UK, overpriced in the US.

New? Pilot Custom 742/743/912 with FA nib. Kinda pricy but not ridiculously so.

Shh---I need all the MT Swans here. They are moderately priced but UK shipping kills some of the good deals.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm reaching the "too many drat pens" level horribly fast

Been there, done that. Although I am seriously considering reducing the total number of FPs to under 30 atm. I've gotten to the point where I don't recall which pens I used a few days or weeks ago.

atholbrose posted:

I want to say that maybe I should re-apply some silicon grease to the section threads, but thought I'd ask here if anyone'd had a similar problem.

I have a TWSBI Mini and sometimes I get inky hands for no reason too. You might want to call their CS to be safe. The silicon grease is really just for lubricating the piston.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Solumin posted:

:stare: I have 1 pen. Mind offloading some of those pens to me? :homebrew:

Heheh, I admit it's more like I see something new and sell off whatever FPs I never got around to writing with over time. Right now, I have a mental list of factors I want to consider before buying a new item. Reminds me, some serious collectors have hit over 2,000+

Jmcrofts posted:

Not sure if this will get me made fun of in this thread, but does anyone have good recommendations for a good ball-point or gel pen? I use G-2's at work but their performance is spotty sometimes and I want something that's more of something nice that I'll keep around and not just chuck when it runs low on ink.

I like Uni-ball gel pens and they come in fun colors and many sizes at $3 from Jetpens.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Webasaur posted:

I hate you guys. I bought a Pilot Metro, and I couldn't figure out how to write with it, because I kept turning it my hand, but I wrote a letter to my friend today with it, and I found out how to write with it comfortably, and it was awesome, and I wanted to keep writing, but I was already like 6 pages in, and this thing is just going to cause me to write everything down all the time, and I hate all of you. Thanks though.

Fake Edit: Seriously, how do I not have a cramp in my hand? This is insane.

Remember you're here forever...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

404notfound posted:

I loved the idea of Rouge Hematite, and I love Fuyu-syogun as a gray ink, so a shiny gray ink has got me all hot and bothered. Just wondering now how to best keep it in my pen without it gumming up the nib/feed or settling at the end of the converter...

Great photos and handwriting. I'm not a fan of specialty inks but looks impressive on paper.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Noctone posted:

Oops I went and spent over $400 on pens and ink yesterday.

Story of my life here.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Deviantfish posted:

Internet rumblings seem to make it seem like the soft fine-medium nib is the bee's knees because it'll flex, however that isn't available as a demonstrator. Anyone have any experience with that particular one?

It's OK, I don't write w/modern soft nibs and it doesn't really flex. I'd call it springy at best. Be careful not to be overly zealous and end up a w/sprung nib :sweatdrop:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/2j23ry/is_there_any_way_to_repair_the_nib_of_my_namiki/

And no they don't sell separate replacement Pilot nib units.

Alder fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 14, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meldonox posted:

So this one's a decent deal, then? I know that Lamy 2000 deal wasn't meant to be that great, but if this is, eh, I guess I've been interested in a fancier pen and a bottle of Fuyu-shogun for a while now.

Edit: also dang, does the rhodium/gold thing make a tangible difference? I usually go for white metal, but that gold accent work is pretty fancy.

No, not really it's just writer's color preference. I prefer silver over gold.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

strangemusic posted:

I want in on that Massdrop too. Fine vs Extra Fine? I DONT KNOW

I'm getting some Fuyu-Syogun though.

Depends if you like JP Fine nibs on their own. IIRC EF is extremely fine and there will be noticeable feedback if you don't mind during writing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Man, I really want a Mabie-Todd Swan. Why do they have to be so pricey and only available in the UK :(

Do you mean vintage or modern? IIRC the MT Swan company now is just a shell of it's former glory.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

aldantefax posted:

Slides out of the cap very easily though. Permanently bent a nib when one slipped out of its cap and hit hard tile. :<

I have one but I never wore it clipped to my clothes. It is a tiny FP though and somewhat overpriced when imported overseas. It writes very fine if not dry.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Can anyone comment on if they have had similar experiences going from medium to fine and with radically differing body weights?

It varies depending on each FP's nib and materials. For a example, I'm a fan of JP FP companies because most of their line up is HQ and consistent at good prices. Later on into the hobby I created a list for all my preferences down to weight and total length to save time.

I'm not too crazy about gold/red color scheme but I like the FP style.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kessel posted:

These notebooks remain one of the best ways to get Tomoe River outside of Japan (and are, per page, cheaper than most Japanese notebooks using Tomoe River.)

Agreed, the only downside is how it's a relatively thick notebook which makes writing new entries awkward for me. I prefer to keep my notebooks to <100 pages or less.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tulip posted:

So i went down to my local pen place to check for my next acquisition in the 50-100 dollar range, and the suggestion i got was for a Faber-Castell that i believe they had at 75 dollars. I never hear about this brand in thread, is there any thoughts that people have on the pens? Thing wrote like a dream, weight was a little strange.

Their FPs are C/C and steel nibs right? IIRC they are mid-range and come in a variety of finishes not limited to wood or metal. I'm familiar with their line of art supplies if that counts. Heavy FPs make my hand tired but YMMV.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

When did Goulet redo their website? I don't like it.

Also, the Falcon I ordered from Massdrop arrived yesterday. This is a seriously light pen, and definitely the scratchiest writer in my collection. But I think I like it, certainly can be neat to write with though. The beefier metal Falcon does hold my interest as a pen to buy at some point down the road, maybe in the medium nib?

Yeah, resin FPs tend to be very light weight. I know some people prefer the metal ver but I don't mind it. Not really supposed to be scratchy for writing though.

The Goulet site seems to lag a bit for loading all the giant images too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Bit of a strange question: what are some pens that have a metal-to-metal connection between the grip and the body (i.e., it's metal threading on metal, no plastic involved) and have a range of different nibs available?

Are you looking for all metal FPs? There is the stainless steel Lamy 2K which was a one sale a few days ago. Do you mean FPs which have metal sections then there are many cheap chinese fountain pens all made out of brass on eBay

The Parson Italix by Mr.Pen is a somewhat heavy FP w/a C/C filing system that is made out of brass or some other metals from the UK.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Slimchandi posted:

So I purchased a Pilot MR (UK metropolitan) plus some Diamine ink. Around £30 shipped. And I just found out the MR doesn't come with a converter so I need to spend another £7 before I can even write a single letter. I think cocktails was a cheaper hobby already...

Doesn't it come w/a free cartridge? So far all the C/C FPs I've purchased came w/one except for Chinese FPs which come w/their own converters. Even the $13 JP student FP had one. Inks don't expire though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

grack posted:

If anyone knows where I can get a grip section for a burgundy Parker 21 for a non-ridiculous price lemme know, yeah?

eBay has a bunch of old Parker FPs that are sold for repairs/as parts and I'd set up saved search to save time. Not like I'm kinda obsessed w/FPs or anything.

Oh and FPN/FPG have classifieds where you can set up WTB ads and so far I've had good luck w/finding certain items there.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

grack posted:

Pretty simple conclusion: Save the money and buy a Falcon

The Stipula really does look like a piece of crap, though.

Friendly reminder: Pilot Falcon is a soft nib *not* semi-flex.

Not towards anyone in particular but I got tired of people saying it's not really all that flexible which is the main point :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

grack posted:

Recommendations on an ink that's resistant to nib creep?

One of the Chinese 14k nib pens I got writes beautifully but the creep is horrendous.

I don't think that's possible as isn't it just something to do w/the FP itself though? I don't notice as you might be able avoid it by keeping your FPs upright in case.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

milpreve posted:

Mine still hasn't come! I ordered the Onett cover, so I didn't expect it yet, but I still hate you...

I just hope it comes by Christmas, because I ordered some gifts simultaneously. :ohdearsass:

I really, really wanted a Hobonichi cover more than the actual planner but not sure if it's worth the high price tag. Perhaps, would you review it when it arrives? Thanks.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

I got the tweed cover and the tweed feels awesome and it has nice pockets, but the leather's fake and that's a bummer considering how much it cost.

I started using the planner this week since mine starts in December and it's been great for all of 2 days. The timeline and grid on each day makes college stuff easy to arrange logically in a way that I can tell when and where I'm supposed to be doing things at a glance.

Thanks for the info and I'm mildly disappointed how it's fake leather too. Neat, IDK it started in Dec as I'm used to planners beginning in Jan. How do you deal with empty space/blank areas? I always think planners sound great in theory but then I realize welp there are days where I just don't have any plans, you know?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Annath posted:

So, somewhat related.

What's a good resource for learning to write with fountain pens?

I have a handful of cheap Pilot Varsity disposal fountain pens. They bleed through notebook paper, so I haven't used them in class.

However, I've decided that I want to improve my handwriting over winter break, and if I can learn to use a fountain pen, I'll be killing two birds with one stone.

FPN/Fountain Pen Network has a writing forum for improving handwriting or calligraphy. I find it helpful there back when I was looking into italic.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Italic nibs are nice but there's no need to pay much for it as many FP companies offer calligraphy sets too. Some examples would be Sheaffer No-nonense, Pilot Parallel, and Manuscript FPs. I suggest sets unless you have a nib preference and line variation is more noticeable in greater widths.

You can even install a italic nib if you switch the nib from a Pilot 78G to the Metro.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I'm primarily interested in tips about letter writing pads and envelopes, high end, pref. with some cotton content but not necessarily - watermarks particularly welcome. I had quite a nice pad of letter paper with a watermark made by...Woolworths. Yeah, that puzzled me too. Anyway, Woolworths went out of business in the UK so I doubt I'll ever see another pad like that.

So any letter-writing paper tips welcome!

Clairfontaine and Rhodia have nice writing pads for sale. There's literally no limit to how much you can spend on HQ paper. Three Candles is fine for letters and I just use normal envelopes. For tips it's important to be sure you're writing the recipient's correct address on the front.

Also, umm try not to forget about your pen pals and write frequently if possible.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

khamul posted:

I recommend the Platinum Preppy. They have a fine nib and write wet, but not too wet for composition notebooks as I recall. I still use one on a semi-daily basis along with my more expensive pens. They're easy to refill with bottled ink if you can't find the cartridges.

I have 2 and the plastic is way too fragile for any long term writing. Although still it's a good value, if you're not 100% certain of the FP hobby.

Remember you're here forever.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

rio posted:

Since Noodler's has more than one lower priced flex nib pen, which would be the best bet? I had an Ahab; it never wrote like I wanted it too, so I tweaked it. Got it to a nice gentle flex resulting in a wide line and then decided to go further and hosed the nib up beyond compare. Or, if there are other flex pens that are in the lower price range. Someday I'll save for a wet noodle, which is whY I would really love.

You can buy any number of cheap Indian FPs that are identical to Noodlers pens minus their logo. For serious flex there's dip pens for writing. I've gotten over the flex phrase and kinda just writing with anything else.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kreez posted:

I want to get her some fancy bottles of ink for Christmas, I know she'd love to just display them on her desk, and if she can use them, so much the better!

Fun gift idea but just a fair warning it's not ideal to display ink bottles unless empty because they do better in cool, dark, and away from sunlight which can break down or change the ink formulas over time. I like to keep the bottles in a desk drawer.

Swagger Dagger posted:

The F Metropolitan gets the same line size as the really fine Staedtler fineliners I've been using which is really impressive.

Welcome to the club :v:

Staedtler fineliners are nice but they tend to dry out faster than I expected for art materials. I too like Fine or XXXF nibs.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

No. It is just I mentioned in an earlier post wanting to have a nib with flex and I decided (after trying a few pens in the shop) to go for something more rigid. This time, at least.

Keep in mind how anything can "flex" if enough pressure is applied to it :v:

Whether or not you can un-flex it after is another story though. I think if you're curious about semi-flex there's always dip pens which offer max flex but not terribly expensive too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I used dip nibs a lot but was always frustrated by running out of ink early and cleaning every 15 min (using India ink). Also, using fine nibs on rougher paper (for drawing) is a nightmare with the tip snagging on fibre. Also it is hell writing anything at length if you are dipping every 1-2 lines. But in terms of flex and variety of line, yes, dip nibs are awesome. :)

I feel your pain :(

I've seen a few reviews of this company which allows steel nibs to be added to a normal FP body for cheap(er) flex:http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/277216-the-desiderata-pen-company-isopen/

I've not ordered one myself, as I don't use dip pens that often, but it could be worth checking out.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Noctone posted:

Bah goddammit, so way back when massdrop did the Falcon drop I ordered an SEF. That ended up not being available so I said ok I'll take an SM instead. Finally shipped out last week and I came home from a business trip today to find that they'd shipped me a vanishing point. :argh:

Merry Christmas and happy new years.

Although does that mean free gift included with purchase? I wonder if CS works over holidays.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mikl posted:

It's almost Christmas! Let me have my pens already! :argh:

Italy and South America are black holes AFAIK for shipping items and the only places I refuse to deal with due to missing packages. I've not had a FP stuck in customs yet ever from overseas yet. Hopefully, this trend will continue into the new years.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thelonious Monk posted:

Anyways, this makes the alba a solid daily writer. It was fairly easy to take apart, which means cleaning won't be a massive pain in the rear end. The piston mechanism feels robust, and is remarkably simple. The cotton resin feels nice in the hand as well. All in all, not a bad pen.

Omas manufactures lovely FPs and I just read a few reviews of the exact model but their prices are kill me though :v:

Someday their celluloid FPs will be mine.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thelonious Monk posted:

They're pricey even on the used market (the only way to go with these pens, gently caress msrp), but man they reallly perform when it comes to putting ink onto paper.

Welp, pretty sure I commented on your post in the other place then =)

I checked eBay because why not and I cringed at the prices even then for vintage or pre-owned. Someone brought in a variety of old Omas catalogs and the LE look very unique if not extremely rare. I think it's one of those moments where I wished I started following the hobby a few decades ago because the newer price tags are insane.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Did everyone send out their New Years cards yet? I still have to mail out 3 to pen pals but otherwise I'm good to go. This is one of those rare moments where I can practice my declining calligraphy skill and use cheery inks.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mikl posted:

I put it into a Prera, that's when I noticed the ink problem.

Also the Plumix feels really awkward to grip, it forces you into a specific grip rather than letting you hold it how you want.

Prera always wrote dry for me until I switched nibs w/another one. I own a PLumix and it's slightly easier than the triangular grip of a Lamy Safari as it's more rounded. Think of it as teaching proper writing grip :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thelonious Monk posted:

That's pretty clever!

edit: crappy phone pic inbound

Hmm is the Pelikan supposed to be disassembled? :derp: I never had much use for the TWSBI wrench as 99.99% of my FPs don't come apart at all.