Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I've been running Noodler's Heart of Darkness in a Pilot Metropolitan, and I've noticed there's almost always a sticky, gummy feeling to the barrel. I can kinda wipe it off but it comes back really quickly. Am I right in assuming that's something about the Bulletproof-ness of the HoD creeping onto the grip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

sb hermit posted:

Have you checked the cap to see if it leaked into it?

I don't see HoD being any more or less difficult to use as other inks, except that maybe it takes a bit longer to dry. But I find that Pilot Metropolitan pens tend to leak a bit, so I always wipe the barrel and the interior of the cap about once a week.
Oh good call on that. I twisted some wet paper towels through the cap and they came away inked. Maybe the click when I cap it is shaking drops loose. Also good call on the ink swap. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

Thanks y'all!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
RE: My weirdly sticky Metropolitan. So I think I narrowed down at least part of the issue with the sticky feeling - I wasn't doing a good enough job cleaning the nib and grip off when refilling the pen, and I think I was also being sloppy putting it back in the cap. I've been trying to treat it more carefully, be more diligent with the cleaning, and insert it into the cap more carefully. And while it didn't completely solve the problem, it's much less of an issue than it was.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Okay now I think I pinned down the sticky ink issue. I'm at a conference this week so I put the HoD in a TWSBI Eco, and suddenly I'm getting issues with that pen too. Never had issues with it before, including with a different Noodler's (Lexington Gray). But thinking about it, I realized the paper I'm writing on isn't the most absorbent (Midori MD) and I've heard that diluting Noodler's inks is something people do. So I thought, maybe the undiluted HoD is putting so much pigment and whatnot down that it's sitting on top of the paper instead of soaking in. I tried being WAY more careful about not touching places I'd written already, and I diluted out the ink (almost too much, I suspect Lexington Gray is just diluted HoD or something). And bam, instant problem solution. No more sticky.

I need to figure out the right dilution for this ink on this paper going forward, but at least I know what the problem is now.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Keetron posted:

At this point I would start shopping for reliable inks, such as anything from the Iroshizuku line.

Yeah I'll starting looking for a replacement. At the very least I have a bit of PR black somewhere. It just hurts to have this enormous bottle that I just can't use without hating the writing experience.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

I AM GRANDO posted:

I just used organic studio nitrogen for my first non-cartridge writing experience and it is both wonderful and terrible. I should have read about it before choosing that one. It’s on my kitchen counters somehow.
now try some bay state blue, really round out the "it gets everywhere" experience

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

LionArcher posted:

Friendly reminder (I've seen the brand brought up a bunch in the last few pages, and I have a few bottles myself) to not buy Noodlers anymore. The creator is a psycho alt right racist.

Oh! Thanks for the info, I didn't know. I was vaguely aware of that whole ink names debacle? I had thought that got cleared up though.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Looked more into it and uhhh.... drat okay that went harder than I thought. Should have paid more attention to it. Agree with the sentiment that it felt like a non-apology and a weird overcorrect on those names of the other inks.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
It kills me how hard it is to get a waterfast red. Is it something chemically about the dyes available that make red that makes them so water soluble?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Chip McFuck posted:

Which ones have you tried? For something that's waterproof, you'll want either a pigment-based or iron gall ink. Something like Platinum's Pigment Rose Red or DeAtrimentis Document Red would do the trick.
Just window shopping right now. I have half a bottle of PR Fiesta Red I'm still working through. The DeAtrimentis Doc Red, or the Doc Dark Red, was one I was looking at though. Glad to hear it's recommended!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Picked up a bottle of the Sailor Kiwaguro and I'm really enjoying it. Not a huge fan of how it has some residual smear until a few minutes have gone by but nothing's perfect I guess. I use these inks for my lab notebook so water resistance is a huge plus for me in general, and this has that in spades.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Anyone here ever get into binding FP-friendly paper? Ive been using Midori MDs as lab notebooks but the size and number of pages is a bit of a pain. I would love to have a notebook that is 1) large, 2) lots of pages, 3) FP friendly paper, but it really seems like that's a "pick two" situation. If it's in the 200 pages range it's usually A5, if it's larger it only has like 20 pages, if it's large with many pages I'm looking at something that will bleed and ghost like an rear end in a top hat.

So I was thinking, what if I got some loose paper and bound together what I needed? 200 sheets of tomoe river or something, glue bound like a cheap composition book?

Actually, hang on, I just noticed the Kokuyo binders and looseleaf. This might be just what I need. nevermind the A4 binders only hold 100 pages.

SixteenShells fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 26, 2022

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Doesn't strictly have to be bigger than A5, I was leaning that way mostly for the page area. I run through ~180 pages of A5 in about three months. The number of notebooks is manageable now if I have to refer back to older volumes but it won't always be.

I'll look into the nanami! 400 pages of A5 would be great actually.

And I say "lab" but it's all desk work for now. Might not always be though.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Okay the Seven Seas Writer might be my next notebook when this one dies. Would be nice if it had grids or dots but I can't have everything! Thanks so much for the rec!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

howe_sam posted:

Friend, have you heard the good word of the Seven Seas Crossfield?

Also, Clairfontane makes a 96 sheet A4 notebook, and that paper is super FP friendly.
Oh you are a lifesaver. I was expecting there to be a variant of the Writer type with different paper markings, I didn't even think to check the other listings.

I will also take a look at the Leuchterms! I have an L1917 A5 that I was using as my Elden Ring journal and sketchbook and I did like that experience and appreciated the page numbers. Don't know why they slipped my mind when looking for bigger notebooks.

Thanks y'all!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I've done similar things to pens by tapping them too hard against the paper. Ruined a wing sun demonstrator's nib that way.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
The ink stain from where I spilled two mls of sailor nanoblack on the work sink is almost gone, lol. That sure taught me to only uncap my travel bottle when I'm actually ready to fill

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
seconding the platnium 3776 specials. these ones are really quite beautiful. https://www.jetpens.com/Platinum-3776-Century-Fountain-Pen-Urushi-Maki-e/ct/6350. And jetpens reminds me, anyone have experience with those visconti pens? some of those special editions that come through are intriguing. orders of magnitude beyond my budget though.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
As much as I love the Lamy Safaris, I wish replacement parts weren't almost as expensive as a whole pen. I have a black Safari I bought in 2010 and now a red safari I got in the mid teens where the inner liner of the cap gets worn out and doesn't seal. No click when I cap it so it falls off easily, no seal so it dries out quickly. At this point I might go screw cap only.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I mean I did get hours of daily use out of my Safaris for years with no issues until the cap seal gave out. Forty bucks for a sturdy daily driver that lasts that long is a drat good deal IMO. I have no complaints about actually using my Safari, it's just the end of life is a little awkward

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
safari spotted!

from here

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
If you can't ID the cartridges, worst case you can refill the cartridge with a syringe.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Had some Preppy highlighters dry out in my pen cup over time. I rescued them with a syringe and water, but is there a way to prevent that from happening? Silicone grease on the threads? Or just keep doing what I'm doing?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I use the Sailor Kiwaguro as my daily ink (TWSBI Eco EF) but I specifically want the water resistance. It shades toward gray if I write too quickly or have the page tilted so the ink pools, but you really have to look for it, it's pretty dark! Dry time's kind of a pain but it's manageable, only an issue at page-turns in busy seminars. It's probably overkill but I give it a real good water flush every time I kill a barrel of ink.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Haven't tried them myself but an acquaintance picked one up as their first fountain pen and were pleased with it.

Edit: One thing that gives me pause is the marketing copy focuses a lot of the aesthetics and trappings of the pen and not so much on the guts. You have to pay attention to find out the nib material and I don't think they mention anything about the feed. Basically, there's information I'm used to seeing in pens marketed to pen nerds, that I don't see with the Scriveiners. Seems like they're trying hard to position themselves as an entry-point to fountain pens. Doesn't make them bad necessarily, but it does feel a bit weird.

SixteenShells fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 23, 2023

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I've had an idea in my head for a pen rest akin to the crab one, but it's a possum. One of these days I'll try and sketch one out and carve it out of wood or something.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

RichterIX posted:

Also after a while the cap started feeling loose and doesn't click when I cap it, so it's just empty now.
Every safari i've had does the same thing eventually. I've tried looking for replacements for the rubber sleeve in the cap that's the culprit but new caps are expensive enough that it makes more sense to get a whole new pen.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Pure curiosity: is it known what the binders are in FP-friendly pigment inks like Sailor Kiwa-Guro or Platinum Carbon?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I still have plenty of bottles of Noodler's inks kicking around to finish but when they run out I'll be looking for non-Noodler's replacements. The appeal for me with Noodler's was always the permanency, not the colors or other properties, but these days I'm using the sailor nanoblack for permanent writing.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
1 for work (TWSBI Eco with black ink), 2 for art (TWSBI Eco and a Pilot Metro, with grey and red inks). Plus two brush pens with black and grey. I used to keep Safari's with Red and Blue around but i found I wasn't using them enough to get through a full converter's worth before it dried up significantly.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

sb hermit posted:

Nice choices. TWSBI Eco and Pilot Metropolitan are probably the only two pens I can unreservedly recommend to new pen users. My Eco always writes smooth and the Metro has a small reservoir but has a classic look and is really easy to clean.

Yeah I'm pretty satisfied with my lineup. I wouldn't mind having fancier pens but I much lean toward function over form, so these are fine for now. My laptops are beat-to-poo poo thinkpads, for example. It's a pretty cheap lineup but it's nice knowing I have pens that can take some abuse and still treat me well. One of these days I'll save up for one of those midrange gold-nibbed pens.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Keetron posted:

Just have to ask, what brush pens do you use for fp ink and how do you like them?

The Pentel pocket and the Pentel refillable. they're just cheap synthetic bristle pens, i'm not actually good at art, so I don't spring for the good brushes. I use Noodler's Lexington Gray in one, it works great, and I plan to use Noodler's Heart of Darkness in the other once the cartridge it came with runs out.

Edit: Oh yeah the second part. They're fun to use! I don't know what I'm doing but I enjoy doing it. I was doing a roleplay journal last year when I played Elden Ring and using them for sketches and whatnot. They haven't given me any ink issues so far, but even if they do, they're cheap.

SixteenShells fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 17, 2023

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Keetron posted:

I am familair with the pentel pocket brush, did you just use it until the cartridge was empty and then filled it with a blunt syringe or did you get a converter for it? And the pentel pocket brush is really good value for money and the favorite tool (at least for a while) of the late Kim Jung Gi.

Yeah I just flushed the cartridge out real good with a blunt syringe, but I was going black->grey. Might be dicier to change colors too.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
ooooo that looks pretty!

side tangent I go back and forth on demonstrator pens - I find a closed pen barrel just looks nicer somehow to my eye, the demonstrators remind me of see-through plastic kids electronics from the 90s/00s. But the utility you get from seeing how much ink you have left, and the opportunity to really showcase a beautiful ink before it even hits the page? you just can't get that otherwise. And the slowly building anticipation from seeing the reservoir slowly deplete over time, gauging how long you can push it before you should clean and refill - it's very engaging.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Muir posted:

You might find a sweet spot in pens with ink windows (e.g., Lamy Safari, Lamy 2000, some Pelikans, Sailor Realo).

I've got a couple Safari's bouncing around and you're right, the ink window's pretty sweet. I'm a little burned on the Safari caps wearing out, but I should give those others a look, thanks for the recs!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mortons stork posted:

I can confirm, ink window on the safari owns. I can tell if I'm gonna run out today, sometimes if I flip it I can estimate how many days I got left.

The Sailor writes absolutely wonderfully but having to unscrew the body to see how much juice I got left is a pain.

Definitely want to get myself an Eco soon! :stoked:

The Ecos are my daily drivers, the capacity is amazing and they perform really well for me, and the price is low enough that if I gently caress up the feed with a sludgy ink, it's not the end of the world. Definitely a recommend from me.

effika posted:

That's a plus for me, OP.

:hmmyes:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
yessssssss one of us one of us

which did you get?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

DicktheCat posted:

I actually genuinely think they'd be better for a lot of people like me that draw or otherwise stress their hands for a living. My left hand is coming along really good, too!

same as gently caress. i started in college when i realized all my notetaking was hell on my hands.

ergonomics are serious business! RSI damage is cumulative!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
[Rand-ishly] Who is Mr. D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

HarmB posted:

This is very generous of you!

I thought this was me, but looking at receipts, it looks like I got my ECO over two years ago. Just never went off the deep end with ruining my budget with FPs. More like filling my collection with budget FPs(yay Varsity!). I think I'm the odd one in this thread at least.

i'm right there with you on the budget lineup. Couple ECOs, a Metro, bunch of Safaris, a Jazz somewhere. I drop poo poo too much to justify a nice pen