Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

rio posted:

When I was looking up info on counterfeit Safaris I came upon a Chinese guy selling Lamy 2000 knockoffs that were clear and used Safari nibs. Except for being clear it looked very convincing. He wasn't selling them as Lamy pens though, just as copies. Googling around there isn't a ton of info but they are out there.

What was the price on these? I don't care much for counterfeits, but I'd be happy to write with a Lamy style pen that could change nibs. I'd have bought a 2000 already if nibs could be changed as easily as their other pens.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LAMY-2000-Hnadmade-custum-Transparent-Fountain-Pen-F-nib-/252286929138?hash=item3abd7908f2:g:uQoAAOSwuAVWwGbr

Only 20% more expensive than the real thing! I'll just stick with my VP.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Shake the pen repeatedly to get it working. If it only works intermittently, replace the battery.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

A long time ago I got gifted an early 90s Mont Blanc Meisterstruck 149. I'm fond of it because it's a transitional model with most of the features of the the mid-90s pens, but it has the two-tone 14k nib common to mid-late 80s pens.

Unfortunately, it's a Mont Blanc M nib, and both my cursive and my block letters are small to medium in size. I can only use this pen on finer papers that don't feather as much.

Also unfortunate - the pen appears to have a feed problem. It will write well for about 10 minutes, then become a dry scratchy mess. Manually spinning the piston filler to feed some ink will wet the pen again for about 10 minutes, but this is obviously a problem. I have soaked the pen twice with two good overnight soaks, and even tried to spread the tines manually myself. Neither fixed the problem.

So, I think I need to have it sent off to have some work done. I have already settled on Mark Bacas of nibgrinder.com to do this work for me. My dilemma is, do I send it off just to have a regular service done, or get him to throw on a custom grind in addition to the usual service? It's the broadest pen in my collection (I have a 1.1 stub Eco from TWSBI and a Vanishing Point in M), so I was maybe wanting to change it up by getting an architect grind for this pen. Good idea? Sacrilege to an old Mont Blanc? Please tell me your thoughts!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I just picked up a TWSBI Eco with the stub nib, and I don't think I'll ever go back to writing with a non-stub. It's just too good.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

grack posted:

I still don't get the little converter filled with silicone grease, though. That was a little weird.

Well, some people really "like" fountain pens. Can't say penis without pen, after all.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

grack posted:

I mean, the grease is for servicing the piston mechanism, just like TWSBI pens. I'm just wondering why it came in a little converter instead of, you know, a bottle or something similar.

Also what the hell are you doing with your pens?

For servicing the piston you say? You dirty boy.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

When mine is soft it does that sometimes also :shrug:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

KingColliwog posted:

I'd prefer to go with a more "legit" way of having more ink. I do not mind buying a new pen, I have some money I received for xmas and was looking for something fun to buy anyway. Anyone knows how the two pens I mentioned compare to a pilot metro squeeze converter?

I refill Pilot cartridges with no issues. It’s super legit actually, and my Vanishing Point lasts a lot longer than it would with a CON-40.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

What's the best kind of syringe to use for refilling Pilot cartridges, and can I buy one online?

I'm not super comfortable with lurking around a pharmacy trying to score a needle for my "special project."

I think I bought a pack of 5 inkjet cartridge refill syringes for $3 on Ebay. They have a huge capacity and super long needles.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The critical flaw of the 2000 IMO is that the nibs aren't replaceable. If they made a 2000 that took #5 or #6 nibs, it would be my next pen.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 18, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Asa-gao is perfectly acceptable if blue ink as acceptable. It is probably the best all-around regular blue there is.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

akma posted:

I used to use fountain pens frequently back in the 80s. Haven't used one since until a couple weeks ago. I was talking with my wife a little while back about getting a fairly cheap one, so she just set me up for failure by buying me a Lamy 2000 even though she should know by now that I will eventually lose it eventually. It writes well, but has a medium nib that I just feel is too wide. Can I buy a replacement nib to cover between now and when I lose it, or would it be cheaper/easier to buy a new pen with a fine nib, and keep the medium in reserve so she'll never know when I leave one at a job site or something?

Alternately, order 3x JinHao 750s for $10 on EBay, then use your Lamy carefully for a month. When the JinHaos arrive, ink them and find the 1 that writes best, and keep it as your daily driver. Now go to Goulet and get a #6 flex nib for $5, and a nice wide stub nib for $10. Enjoy life and never worry about losing any of your JinHaos.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Zenostein posted:

There's not much point to getting more cartridges unless you really like pilot brown or whatever, though. You only need one to refill, and it's not like this is an MR or something that'll take international carts. At least then you could get a little tin of Herbins or something.

Plus, a converter'll make flushing the pen easier.

I like refilling carts in my VP. They hold more ink, and I write a lot at work so I can keep a spare cart in my bag and not worry about spilling ink anywhere.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Zenostein posted:

Do you mean a spare unopened cart, or a spare refilled one? Because I'm not sure I'd trust a rotated plastic flap to keep the ink in the cartridge.

Definitely a sealed cart.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hey, I write with a fountain pen mostly. Can someone summarize what's going on in this thread bc I am so amazed that it's got so many pages.

To post here, you need to create a thesis on the relative value proposition of a Jin Hao fountain pen versus any other fountain pen of your choosing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I did my first big pen mod this past weekend. The flex nib took a lot of plying to get it to sit close enough to the feed, and the feed itself needed a good gouging. But I'm super happy with the result!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

How awful would a 1.5mm Lamy Italics be for everyday writing?

Utterly dependent upon the paper you use.

Cheap office supply store paper? Bad experience unless you write big.

Rhodia, or the like? Simple and nice.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Kessel posted:

I refill cartridges for all my VPs and Faber Castells. Can't be arsed with the terrible converter capacity on those.

Same for my VP. Only scrubs use CONs.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

NeurosisHead posted:

Guys I bought a Vanishing Point because Goulet had them on sale and were giving a way large bottle of Iroshizuku ink with them. I have a lot of nice pens, but this pen feels really good in the hand and on paper. Pilot does a drat good job.

My medium blue carbonesque VP was my first fountain pen, and is still by far my favorite. There are other pens that I like using just as much, but I love the shape, weight, and clickiness of the VP.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Asa gao is that perfect mix of professional and playful. No other blue straddles that line so well.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

Pretty sure the dusky pink one is the original and current formula, and that the more vivid, purpler blend was the temporary one.

In a rare coincidence, the pen I picked to carry today was inked with Black Swan in Australian. Here's a pretty true rendition of what my bottle looks like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Platystemon posted:

№ 6 JoWo nibs in your flavour of choice. They make Goulet and Anderson store brands.

№ 6 Knox nibs in your flavour of choice. Birmingham and Pen Chalet sell them.

If you want something interesting to experiment with, Zebra G dip pen nibs fit. Get the titanium‐plated ones because continuous contact with ink kills the chromed variety.

e: Nemosine nibs come in a few shapes the others don’t. I’m thinking of 0.6 and 0.8 stubs, in particular.

Edit: never mind, misread!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Got a Jinhao 599 medium nib, I like it so far. Thick enough lines to see some color variation, but not so thick my lovely handwriting becomes difficult to read.

Also got a Hero 907 Xfine and it's my new favorite thing. Heavy, thin lines. It's definitely more for flat color inks, I put a little Vert Olive in it and it's amazingly dark, nearly an olive-forest. Used that up and now it has Diamine Eclipse in it.

They both write just as well (the Hero writes better) than any of the $15-$50 pens I have. Way better than the Chibi 2s. I may just stick with cheap Chinese pens until I'm in a higher income tax bracket. Or my kid moves out. Seriously impressed.

Cheap pens from China are a revelation. Now if only I could find a place that sells feeds for them. The Jinhao "tongues" on EBay aren't sized correctly for the X750 and require a lot of sanding to make them fit :(

The best part about pens from China is that you forget you have tons of pens, and then they arrive and you realize you spent like $10 for 5 pens, which rules.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Syringe fill the CON. Works great especially on Sailor’s lovely shallow bottles.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Yeah but if you syringe fill the CON you can twist some ink out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Count me in as another satisfied VP owner. Just make sure to throw away your CON* and just fill cartridges with a syringe. You'll live a happier life. Also no possibility of air bubbles in your converter.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Heath posted:

I ordered a Wing Sung 698 after debating over it for a while. I hope it’s at least comparable to the Metropolitan, but I don’t ever know what to expect from Chinese pens. Can you swap a Pilot nib into it? They look nearly identical.

The 698 will clown all over your Metro in just about every way. If Lamy or TWSBi were selling it they could get away with charging $50 for it, easy.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Where are you getting $50 for a gold-nib 698? I'm seeing $14-20 for the demonstrators, more for the colored versions.

The 698 is a great pen though. Wing Sung in general is just pretty great.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

My last 3 pen purchases have all been Chinese.

Just something satisfying about paying like $5 total for 3 pens, waiting 3 weeks for them to arrive and totally forgetting they're coming, so when they do arrive it's like Christmas but each present only cost $1.75.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Pixelante posted:

Is the Monteverde deal that bad when it comes with the bottle of ink?

How lovely are the pens, anyway?

The pen is a dollar from China, so when you consider the deal you're paying full price for the ink and getting the pen for an extra dollar.

It's when you buy that pen by itself that you're getting fleeced.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Considering the recent Monteverde scandal, is it that Delta pens will be sourcing its bodies from China and exact clones of $200 Delta pens will be available on Ebay for $10, sans label?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

grack posted:

I got the "Cranberry" gradient, which is the red/purple. I'll probably get that bright blue one next.

I also just bought a 308 Hawaii. I am Hawaiian, but I like that the 308 takes #6 nibs.

I have a couple Jinhao X750s that I use weekly. I pulled the #6 nibs from those and installed some modified Noodler's Flex Nibs. The nibs work great, but the pens themselves start to chip and crack pretty quickly. I'm hopeful that the 308 will be a prettier and more resilient pen in which I can transplant my flex nibs.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

Well I don't really want to go over $100, but it looks like there aren't a ton of offerings in the $50-100 range. So I may just wait til I can afford a Vanishing Point or something.

I haven't used an insane number of fountain pens - just about 6 different models from various manufacturers. But my VP is my favorite pen, especially in Medium. Perfect size and weight, writes smooth as heck and holds a ton of ink if you syringe-fill cartridges. And such a satisfying click.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Vanishing Point Decimos are about one hundred dollars when imported from Japan.

There are also “special alloy” (read “steel nib”) VPs that are significantly less.

The steel nib VPs are about $80 in Japan, which isn’t a terrible price for the VP body. Consider that an 18k nib section is ~$80 on Ebay.

It’s the Pilot Custom series pens that are way, way cheaper in Japan than outside of Japan.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I got one of those PenBBS 308s, it's a really pretty pen. The nib is fairly smooth, though the feed is a touch dryer than I'd like, are the nib/feed units removable?

Yep, just get a paper towel, wrap it around the base of the feed and pull out with even pressure.

Or use a rubber band in place of the paper towel.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Paypal's prrrrrrobably not going to give you a refund based on a postal employee stealing your designer pen though. The seller definitely isn't. I hope I'm wrong but I fear that unless it miraculously turns up under the seat of someone's postal truck, you're boned.

You must not know Paypal very well.

They are the company where as a buyer, if you receive a package, open it and pocket the item, fill the box with rocks and then open a case with the shipper and then Paypal, you get to keep the item and the money is removed from the seller's account without their consent, 100% of the time.

As a Paypal seller, you can inconvenience yourself by removing your credit cards and bank accounts from your account when not transacting. That will prevent Paypal from charging your card or reaching into your bank account without your consent. However, your Paypal account will go negative and you'll be barred from transacting with your account until you settle the balance. In cases of large negative balances that go unpaid, Paypal will wait some time and then send you to collections.

A lovely company, that Paypal!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

inklesspen posted:

Got my PenBBS Hawaii and then I bent the "leaves" on the feed while trying to change out the nib. I still didn't manage to remove the nib from it; is there some special trick?

That red isn't part of the resin; it's because I filled it with Noodler's Qin Shi Huang. It still seems to write okay, and I have no idea how to fix this, so I'm gonna leave it as-is for now.

My secret is, grab a newspaper rubber band and double it over a bunch over the feed, then tug with steady even force on the sides (shoulders) of the nib.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I was just in Kingdom Note a few days ago. No loose nibs for sale that I could see, but they did have a Pilot Custom 743 with FA nib for ~$213 after removing tax, which is just about the best price you can do on that pen these days. By comparison, Itoya was selling it for list price, 30000 yen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Kessel posted:

Multiple people have reported their Conklin Duraflex nibs are garbage. I just wouldn’t buy

Am I crazy, or do I remember reading that the Duraflex nib is just a customized Noodlers Ahab flex nib?