Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I just got into fountain pens myself and I saw Levinger Ruled pads recommended, and boy howdy I am in love. Those are like a dream, and actually make me happy to write longhand with them. I am trying it because a - I was curious, and b - I saw some writers prefer to write longhand because it slows them down enough to think about what's coming next.

I got a couple of Pilot Metropolitans and love them! Although I don't get what to do with the little plastic thing that came with it. The instructions say something about using a converter, but that can't be a converter, can it? It looks more like a spacer for shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dudeabides posted:

I saw some chat about Hobonichi planners a couple weeks ago and got an original Techo from Amazon just to wrap up the year (I'm trying to be better at planning my days out). It seems like there's more components to each daily page in the original compared to the English language Planner version. I don't have any understanding of Japanese characters, which I don't see being an issue for the general use of the planner, but do people in here find one more useful than the other in any regard?

Do you have a link to the product? No matter how much I search Amazon, the only thing that shows up is 2021 planners. :iiam:

I want to switch to one in 2022 and I can understand Japanese enough to use it, so the Japanese version is cool to me.

If anyone has a link to a reputable store, I’d love it. :wotwot:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The Electronaut posted:

Jet pens. Anderson pens. 1101.con if you want to order from Japan.

Perfect thanks! Was less expensive to order from Japan, and shipping was actually a lot cheaper than I was expecting!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dudeabides posted:

Mine is 2021. I figured I'd do a trial run and see if it was a good fit for the rest of the year and then I can splurge on 2022.

I see. It looks like the 2022 haven't been shipped over to the States yet from what I can see. Jet Pens says it's 'Out of Stock' but Anderson Pens says it's 'Coming Soon'. The Japanese store had nearly all of them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Got my Hobonichi Techo for 2022 and wrote my contact information in it with my Metropolitan, and man, I am in love :swoon:

Can't wait for the last week of December!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I have two Metropolitans and I really love them, but they are very smooth and I have weird skin so I end up dropping them a LOT. Which makes me sad. Haven’t bent a nib yet at least.

Any pens recommended that are similar quality or a little better that have a little less smooth barrels?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Anyone have feedback on Scrivener Luxury Fountain pens? I searched and found nothing, so are they trash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sankis posted:

It sounds like it may be a pen brand out of China or one that's at least made there. It's most likely a reselling operation. That's not to say they're bad. China has gotten really good at making pens (to the point where western brands actively try to sabotage them) so they're likely actually quite alright. As for the internals it sounds like they're just Schmidt nibs and feeds. That means they're likely good if a bit unexciting.

The only question mark id have is how good

A recent reddit I found with the same question (yours?) suggests Hong Dian Black Forest pens are also worth looking into.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at Hong Dian and saw it had a Calligraphy tip. It was only :20bux: so I got it. It's a pretty nice pen for the money. Solid and sturdy, says it's carbon fiber. It's meatier than the all metal Procyon pen I have. But it's not too heavy at all. Feels good and counter-weighted with the cap on the end. Cap isn't screw on, but it stays in place nicely, unlike some plastic pens in the $ range. The nib is really smooth, black anodized (I think). I haven't used a Calligraphy nib before, but I really like it. Didn't come with any ink, but that's fine - I have plenty. I put some Tsuyu-kusa ink in it and really like the results. When I get the angle and pressure down, it makes really interesting lines.

Photo tax: