Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I loving love this pen. I think being left-handed is loving up the nib, though. That's supposed to be a fine nib, and that is Waterman Florida Blue ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SnakesRevenge posted:

Noodlers pens unflexed are definitely thinner than a Lamy fine,

This I can confirm.

However, my Ahab's cap cracked around the lip within days of me receiving it. My Lamy Al-Star has not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luisfe posted:

The one I posted? It says "Hero 9035" in the cap.

Edit:I already got an Inoxcrom like this, but this one has a goddamn pug, haha.

Holy poo poo that is the most honest drawing of a pug I think I've ever seen. You can practically hear the little fucker snorting and gagging on its own tongue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Ahab I got with my bottle of HoD ended up being not too shabby. Biggest complaint I have with it is the cheap plastic means the cap is so incredibly easy to crack when you post it on the back end of the pen. My cap has a single crack maybe 1/2"-3/4" long and it keeps the cap from staying securely fastened to the pen when closed.

As for the nib, when. I received the pen the nib was black. I found out this was pain instead of anodizing or what have you because the paint started coming off within a couple days of use. Soon enough the surface variations with the lost paint meant the ink wasn't properly feeding through the nib and was instead 'pooling' in odd places. A paper towel was enough to remove the paint with next to no effort. Now it writes just fine and I use it for case notes at work daily. Maybe if I was writing a few pages in one go it might start causing a bolus of ink to start forming on the face of the nib since I notice the feed channel getting somewhat heavily loaded after a couple paragraphs. Overall, I'm happy with my Ahab. It isn't my only pen but I would say it's got a certain workhorse je ne sais quoi.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well that shows how much I know.

I use a rubber band around the cap to keep it secure. Not pretty but the pen ain't exactly my al-star or carene to begin with.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Heart of darkness is black as gently caress. It's advertised as being engineered to absorb as much of the visible spectrum as possible.

That being said, it certainly is an incredibly black ink. I've been dying to put it in my black/gold Fine-nib Carene, but it seems a bit too runny for the Carene. So, blue it is because I loving love this thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

poo poo, my Carene's had an accident and now it's writing like a firehose.

Used to be a fine nib.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tochiazuma posted:

Someone at my school liked my Lamy Safari so much they had to take it home with them.

Assholes.

Gives me an excuse to order some extra ink when I get a new one, since shipping costs a bunch no matter what!

Keep an eye on craigslist, fucker might try to sell it once the dumbfuck realizes it's a fountain pen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:buddy: If only it fixed my handwriting. I love this pen. I'm torn on getting some kind of reservoir for the HoD ink I have in an eyedropper bottle because it belongs in this pen but I don't want to waste the Tsuki-Yo I have in there now because it's a gorgeous ink too.

It's marked as a fine nib, but I'm not sure what precisely constitutes a fine nib as far as Carenes go. I'll see if I can't dig up the scratch paper I wrote on to find out how bad the nib was hosed. It was feathering on cheap printer paper and wet as hell. Used the otoscope to check the alignment after each press on one tine or the other.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shadysight posted:

So, I'm looking for a pen recommendation. I decided it might be fun to buy one of those ultra-cheap fountain pens you can find on Ebay. I picked this one up for $2.13, including shipping. Surprisingly, I really, really like the feel of it on paper, and the weight. It's main downside is that it dries out at the drop of a hat. Leaving the cap off for any amount of time ruins the flow, so it starts skipping, and it noticeably finer in it's lines. The only way to fix it then is to refill it. I've been thinking it would be awesome to find one that's similar but maybe better made. If you have a recommendation of how I might be able to make it work better I guess that would also be good.

General review of it: Aside from writing well, it's surprisingly heavy, especially for it's size. The thing is a good half an inch shorter than my Lamy, but weighs more. I think this is why I really like it. I do a lot of doodling with my fountain pens, and it's easier imagine carrying something like this around and using it on a regular basis.

Back to the pen itself, it also has a much smaller reservoir than the Lamy, even smaller than it needs to have. This would be a problem but it also is extremely easy to fill and clean, much more so than my other pens. I could in theory turn it into an eyedropper I guess, but I'm not sure I trust the construction for that.

It also kind of a bizarre tip. It's so short! But I like how it looks. I guess most of the nib is hidden the body?

Finally, you may notice it's some sort of Disney knock-off. It even has his face on the shiny metal band. I didn't know this when I bought it, but it's kinda fun.

It was called a "Standard Size Senior Collection Nib Pen GB-719D" in the listing, and it says Wenliang 719 on it's cap. I guess that's about sums it up.

Hahaha, Wenliang is written in Disney's signature script.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I honestly wonder if the overpriced kickstarter FP is the new cupcake shop/frozen yogurt shop/antiques picker store/nanobrewery.

People just riding the wave with massive bowls of poo poo as though everyone wants to visit them by default. This guy's just the latest, selling the most boring-rear end bland pen with a lovely nib as though nobody who ever got burned by getting a perma-dry Hero would notice that they're just getting the same dodgy quality for 3x the price plus you deal with some rear end in a top hat who thinks he can be the Steve Jobs of pens.

I guess props to him for having sufficient bluster to bilk almost a quarter mil out of hipsters who'd probably drop the drat thing out of their pocket protector during their bike ride.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What inks are of a similar viscosity to Waterman's Florida Blue? I made the terrible mistake of putting Noodler's Polar Green in my Carene and oh god.

I didn't just get nib creep, the loving thing might as well have goose-stepped around the page with ink-covered boots like some strung-out Nazi.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I posted earlier but I think it got buried:

Does anyone have any experience with inks that are similar to Waterman's Florida Blue in viscosity/flow?

My Carene is touchy as gently caress and while Florida Blue is nice, HoD and Polar Green (Noodlahs) dribble out like I'm expected to hang the drat thing in a hamster cage for drinking. Tsuki-Yo is somewhere in between.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Audax posted:

My safaris just cannot handle being tossed around a bunch. I keep them in a pad folio. I've been keeping a separate set of work pens since theyve been leaking significantly.

If you like the flat/round barrel shape and triangular grip you can get a Lamy al-Star, though the colors aren't as plentiful.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TWSBI Vac 700 in Amber. :swoon:

e: \/ Oh dear, I'm sorry about that. I got a little too excited.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 20, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have been living a lie.

I thought, wrongly, that Tsuki-Yo was the color of the face of God but I was betrayed, betrayed by my own poor powers of imagination. This failure will haunt me for the remaining years of my corporeal existence.

Ama-Iro has revealed itself to me and it is the radiant hue of divine communion made liquid. For a fleeting moment when I opened the cap, and I will swear this unto my dying breath, I heard the dulcet harmonies of the choir almighty. It is the glass-wrapped pinnacle of chromatic perfection and my eyes will never rest upon a greater glory in this life.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Demon_Corsair posted:

You really managed to misspell Bay State Blue there. And twice no less.

And you misspelled Blue Pen Dye.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KiloVictorDongs posted:

On the default ink converter in the Pilot Metropolitans:

I'm a big stupid baby, and I have no idea what this means. Is there a specific angle I should be pulling on the converter from or something? It feels like it's really stuck in there.

Friction fit means it's just stuck in there like you'd wedge a banana in a tailpipe. No threading or hooks or clasps, but try twisting a bit as that could help bust it free.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kessel posted:

The blind cap on all vacuum plunger fillers screws down to seal the ink chamber off from the feed. If you don't unscrew the cap, you can write with whatever is in the feed, but to write more than half a page you have to loosen the blind cap a bit so that ink can flow to the feed/nib.

On the flip side, vacuum fillers have advantages because of these quirks - they have enormous capacity (the entire barrel is the ink chamber) and can seal themselves for flights.

I have a Vac 700 and can't seem to get it to fill more than halfway or so. How the hell do you take advantage of that capacity?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

asylum years posted:

Oh, no. I dropped one of my pens six inches onto my desk, and it landed right on the tip of the nib. It's bent at like a 90 degree angle now. Luckily it's a Pilot Metro, so in the worst case I'll just buy another, but man, it sort of felt like watching my child get hit on the playground.

I'm going to try and re-straighten it with a flathead screwdriver. It's just the very tip of the nib that's sort of curled under; the rest of the nib appears as it always does. Don't really know what else to do, since having it repaired by a pro would cost more than just buying a new one in the event that I ruin it.

Much like seeing your kid get hit on the playground, you don't go straightening it out with a screwdriver.

You hire a professional to get it right.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

asylum years posted:

Cool, know anyone who will take care of it for less than the 15 bucks it would cost me to just replace the pen? Because I'm sort of tight on cash these days.

To be honest they'd tell you to get a new pen. Fountain pens employ capillary action to 'pull' the ink out onto the page. Trying to fix it with a screwdriver, or for that matter anything short of stuff like jewelers' tools (including a loupe) will just leave imperfections in the alignment of the tines and cause the pen to just drip ink all over the page, or get all scratchy, or simply not produce any ink at all.

E: just how close are those Chinese Hero knockoffs? Close enough that you could get the Safari copy and just slap an authentic Lamy nib on it? :v: Feed and reservoir are pretty easy to get right, it's the precision in the nib that's tough in a $2 pen I imagine.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 11, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Has there been any new amazing entrepreneur developing a converter compatible with old Waterman C/F pens?

I have a black barrel/brushed aluminium(?) cap one with the most beautiful accountant tip and while I have a cartridge for it and have been refilling that cartridge, I'd really prefer a converter because the line it puts out is amaaaaazing.

Seriously, it's super fine yet clear, and smooth as silk. The pen is probably 50+ years old and writes better than my Lamy does most of the time. My Carene is another story. I might need to send that one in for nib repair or just buy (:cry:) a new nib - which for the Carene means buying a new everything-below-the-barrel which is like $100.

But its such a pretty pen....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: /\ no, that's the way you should be storing it - nib up makes the ink flow back out of the nib/regulator. A crapped-up reservoir is easier to clean than a crapped-up section and nib :v:

I think the cap cracks unless you're a complete autist while posting the cap. I put a few rubber bands on there, fixed it right up.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 10, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Frosty Beverage posted:

I recently picked up a disposable fountain pen from my school store and I've sort of discovered I really dig 'em. Then I found out my dad has some old fountain pens he picked up in China a long time ago and he gave me one, never used.

I'm wondering what sort of general care tips I can get for handling an old fountain pen and if anyone has one like it, how I fill it. It's got this little rubber reservoir with a tube on the inside and it doesn't seem to come off or unscrew, at least not with gentle efforts.

That chrome/metal part, it goes over the rubber sac and there's a springy part you press in on the side (visible in photo) to compress the sac for inking. Barrel goes over all of that.

It's like a Hero I got a while back, and it's a royal PITA to ink properly because you're only partially and unevenly compressing the sac, so you only get like half-full at any time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Frosty Beverage posted:

Ahhh, I didn't even know that bit moved. I thought that was like a view area to see how much ink was left. Cool. Trying it out, I felt some pressure coming out of the writing end. Do I just dunk the tip in ink and pump it a few times to fill it up?

Yep.

As for inks, try finding some Waterman ink. They don't have crazy colors but they're very well behaved (they flow evenly out of the nib, not too dry, not all drippy) and great if you're looking for newbie-friendlyness.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PRADA SLUT posted:

I just wrote with a ballpoint pen for the first time after writing with only a fountain pen for two months.

It felt like writing with a loving crayon.

Must have had a good ballpoint then.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

It's been sitting in a shaded area. Ah well I might as well just buy some more noodlers blue ink.

Depends on whether it was stored open or not, too. I have a jar of Tsuki-Yo that I neglected for several months on a shelf and aside from ink gluing the cap shut requiring pliers to open, it's just fine.

That said, you should just buy new ink because why not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

I did. Noodlers eel blue is on the way! Noodler's is good poo poo right?

Yeah, it's great ink. Occasionally you may run across a pen (typically low-quality stuff like Hero) that writes exceedingly wet with it (I.e. too much gets onto the paper, nib creep, etc), and the guy who runs the brand is a bugfuck crazy goldbug-type guy*, but the ink is second to none as long as your pen gets along. Tons of colors, too.

*Dude's not sending :tinfoil: letters with each bottle or anything, he just likes to ramble a bit during some of his demo videos. If you don't care to view his YouTube videos you'd probably never know.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cobalt impurity posted:

Unless you bought any of the Bernanke inks and read the label. :v:

Some of his label designs are really somethin' else.

Yeah, I can't spoil every surprise :v:

Bernanke's label and the Rome Burning label are both hella :tinfoil:.

Rome Burning is a crazy ink though so it's only fitting to have a crazy label. orange-red which turns to purple in water EXCESS LIQUIDITY REVEALS THE PATRICIAN COLOR.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

At least it's harmless. He could make fertilizer bombs or something.

That's why it's so hard to get all angry and boycott-happy against Noodler's over the :tinfoil:ness of Nathan. It's good ink and unless you really want the niche qualities of Bernanke or Rome Burning it's just harmless rambling. You need to actually make an effort to find the tinfoil, most people just think Noodler's is just a quirky little ink company that pays attention to more than just color (polar, x-feather, permanence, etc).

At least he's not wrapping every bottle in bitcoin evangelist tracts. Hell, he probably thinks bitcoin is another layer of the bilderberg conspiracy to imprint the electronic payment mark of the beast on everyone or whatever.

Bottom line Noodler's is great ink and Nathan's kookiness is like the toy in the crackerjack box. Totally benign, but you gotta admire how unabashedly out there it is. The knife is a good way to "spread" the ink and get a big swath of color.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

But gently caress if it doesn't figure I find a blue color called 54th Massachusetts AFTER I order Blue Eel. What are his 'lubricating' inks vs. bulletproof inks?

Bulletproof is anti-fraud. It's designed to be utterly permanent on paper, can't bleach it out, scrape it off, chemically remove it, etc.

Lubricating inks, I imagine, are there if you really love fountain pens :v:.

Or maybe they're just a formulation that's supposed to be particularly well-behaved in pens with converters or plungers. That's my guess.

As for Nathan's kookiness, don't worry about it. He's kind of the perfect sort of kook, where he isn't trying to foist it on you in everyday conduct. If you really want to see what we're talking about, take a look at his Bernanke ink or Rome Burning ink. Both are a little :tinfoil: about central banking/THE FED/"the elites" etc.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 25, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

Why is my TWSBI mini getting loads of condensation inside the cap?

You capped it somewhere where the dew point was above the ambient temperature of the location you later visited.

Inside the cap you trapped some relatively humid air from inside your workplace and when you went to drive home in your cold-as-balls car you noticed the condensation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

I didn't get a kooky letter from the owner :/

Nathan doesn't send kooky letters, his is a polite crazy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

Goulet doesn't carry it. Where did you get it and how much?

Welp Amazon lists it as $300+! Guess I'm sticking with getting the Kaweco this weekend.

EDIT: ugh I hate this Noodler's Borealis Black. It's like a watery ink that creeps like a creeper out of my Sailor 1911 nib. Are there any thicker inks that won't creep like this?

Noodlers, if I recall, is known to be more creep-prone (creepier? :drac:) than most other inks. So almost any other ink will give you less-creepy performance. Waterman's is considered the gold standard in terms of behavior but obviously doesn't have the color variety.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Before you think your pen has nib/feed issues, try waterman's.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I lost my Vac 700 :smith:

There's some hope it's just somewhere I haven't checked in my car but as far as I know it is gone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I lost the cap to a TWISBI Vac 700 today :negative:

I lost an entire vac 700 a couple weeks ago. Don't feel too bad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I plunked down the whopping $18 for a Metro. Where might I get an EF (I quite liked my Vac 700's EF nib line until I lost the pen) nib?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blowfish posted:

The Metro F is probably about the same as the TWSBI EF already.

I couldn't find one with an F nib though and so the one I got was M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Noodler's
Waterman's
Iroshizuku (Produced by Pilot)

I assume there are many others, but you're almost certain to see Waterman's (a big and old name in pens) and Iroshizuku (seeing as though it's Japanese and Japan is one of the bigger markets for fountain pens) down there in Australia. If you never came across any other brands those two are exceedingly good brands to have access to. Waterman's doesn't have the rainbow of colors the others do, but what they do have is some of the best-behaved ink I've ever used. By that I mean it flows smoothly and evenly.