Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

My local pen shop didn't stock either of the things I wanted: Pilot Parallels and TWSBI diamond 580. So I walked out with a bottle of Waterman Mysterious Blue and a frown.

Incidentally, Private Reserve has finally corrected the spelling of Avacado to Avocado! Also it's my favorite ink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Thanks; they're like $22.50 on Jetpens so at least the Amazon price is better than that. I was thinking about maybe going with Apica notebooks; they're fairly inexpensive and the one I have has very little ghosting or bleed-through so you can write on both sides of the page which is nice.

Coincidentally, I'm getting some pilot Parallels in from Amazon today. Can't wait to do 100% of my writing in fraktur and piss off all my co-workers

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Fall posted:

You can't see the ink level though. I say go for it.

I saw a youtube where some guy just refilled the cartridges with bottled inked using an eyedropper. That's my plan.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

That's awesome! What's up with the first one and the false (?) vent hole?

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Don't get waterman mysterious blue. It writes as a blue black but dries to a full on teal. I think maybe that's the mystery. Actually get it anyway because it's a great teal.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I got hooked with a $7 Jinhao and a set of Pilot Parallels.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

My brain says Aligator/Red/Chisel, Silver/Black/fine, and Bronze/Blue/Medium, but that's just me I guess :P

Ditto

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Looking for recommendations on an everyday writing brown. In the $15 range

Not Noodler's Polar Brown

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I have too many ink samples from Goulet so I started a thing:

So far the only conclusion I've come to is that Caran D'ache inks are terrible in my Safari EF nib and also stain skin like a motherfucker. Right now I'm on De Atramentis Cucumber which is just delightful but too light to use as a daily driver.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

unkle77 posted:

Bought both a TWSBI Vac Mini (M) and regular Mini (F) to complement my Eco (M), 580 (M) and Pilot Custom 74 (M), and since I'm using a different ink for every project in my plate, they're all daily drivers. The 2 minis are beautiful and perform beautifully. Wet, consistent, and comfortable for this lefty. I know there's better pens in the up to $65 price range, but I hold my pens with my thumb, index and middle fingertips touching the section so things like Lamys are out due to the triangle grip, and things like my Metropolitan have sections which simply aren't tall enough to grip comfortably with 3 fingers. I know TWSBI gets a ton of hate, but I love these Minis. I got a full fill on the Vac of de Atramentis Sherlock Holmes and it's already almost done after just a couple weeks. I love these pens!

This is exactly what I needed to hear. I hold my pens the same way and have the same problem on my safaris and metros. I think I'll pick up Vac Mini.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

The secret santa was awesome. Also, I'm in for pen pals. Also, I ordered an Ahab. Also, my wife said she'd get me a Vac700R for my birthday bc Goulet should get their first stock around the right time :)

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Does the Lamy 2000 share the same nib/feed design as the safari variants? I know it's hooded but could i swap a regular lamy stub nib into a 2000?

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Iznogood posted:

Not the Lamy 2000 gold ones nope. I cant even find a place that sells them. Supposed to contact Lamy directly. But I keep tweeking it and now well it's kinda perfectly smooth in all directions and perfect. so Im happy. That's what counts to me :-)

Sounds like a good learning experience and confidence booster. I still get a little cringy any time I have to adjust a steel nib.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I had this email exchange with Goulet, but I'm disappointed that they haven't responded to my last message :(

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I had been mulling between the Lamy 2000 and the Pilot e95s for some time because I like the idea of hooded/integrated nibs, but I can't really justify a >$100 pen right now.

So instead I jumped on that Vac 700R!

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

grack posted:

Safari sucks. There, I said it.

Dang bc i just ordered a petrol. Just kidding safaris rule!

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

[total edit] forget everything I said. Apparently regular post its are fine. I had been using some offbrand yellow post-it clone that feathered horribly. Found some genuine post it's and they are tolerable.

Geology fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 13, 2017

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

These are seriously fantastic. The yellow ones have been out of stock for months, so maybe email and ask what brand they are so you can source them elsewhere? Otherwise, pink is fine, as long as it works with your ink color.

Cool thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I have a whole dang bottle of Waterman Mysterious Blue. The color looks great coming out of the pen but it dries to a much greener hue which still looks nice but ugh I want that navy/Grey blue that it has while it's wet!

Incidentally it makes a good substitute for Lamy Petrol ink until I get my hands on some cartridges. As does De Atramentis Pigeon Blue.