Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I bought three different LAMY Safaris - Medium, Fine, and Extra Fine. All using LAMY cartridges - I can’t tell a difference looking at the lines I’m writing. The charts show a clear difference between EF and F and my own writing I can’t see any difference between EF and M. I have to be using the pens wrong, right? I’ve hundred times checked the nibs, they’re clearly labeled. What am I missing?

E: these are my first real pens, I’m asking to understand what’s going on and in no way criticizing the pens.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the quick answers! Tried a waxy paper - the medium is definitely thicker than the fine - and yes I had been comparing on notebook paper. The Extra Fine still looks identical to the Medium though. That’s really disappointing. I bought these partly to understand which size Lamy 2000 I’d want. Gross.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

catgirlgenius posted:

Same Great Paste, if you are open to trying Asian nibs instead, i can send you some of my "learner's" pens? make the whole thing feel like less of a wash, hopefully, and maybe get you thinking of other brands. realistically i'm never gonna use them now that i have found my favorites, so they were always destined to be given away. for free!

This is very thoughtful Thank You! I must decline, though. Even with the unexpected sizes the Safaris are going to be more than I need for a while.

Also that bat pen is awesome.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

After trying to understand by going back and forth between all of EF, F, M, and B for a few days the thing that really stands out to me is the physical feedback differences. Gun to my head I still can’t reliably see a difference between the smaller three (broad is certainly broad). I can certainly feel EF drag, F slightly less, M seems neutral-ish, and B glides.

Just-posting in case the tactile feedback would surprise any other beginners.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

grack posted:

Broader nibs put more ink on the paper, which acts as a lubricant. This doesn't mean EF nibs can't be smooth, it's that if all things are equal, broader nibs can be smoother

Also here's a new Delta. It's Dolce Vita Papillon

It's pretty and I like it.

That is a beautiful thing.

Can you please clarify about EF being smooth? Is it technique or gold/steel or a different maker or something else? I’d love to understand how to make a thin line with less of a feel to it.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I ordered two Safaris from Goulet on Monday. Today/Thursday at 6:34am I get an email saying sorry we don’t have aquamarine, here’s a refund for that and we’ll ship out the rest of your order. At 11:11am I get an email saying aquamarine is back in stock.

The aristocrats.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I tried Robert Oster Fire and Ice in a Safari with converter and could not make it work at all. Just scribbling the ink would make maybe half inch lines and then stop until a pick up and joggle. I have no idea what went wrong. Things I know for sure I’d previously used the same safari and converter with a different ink and it was great. Then I rinsed out the same pen and just a cartridge works great. Still have 30 samples to get through so I’m not fussed about making this one work.

Posting to get perspective. Is this common? I’ve done four converter loads of three different inks so far and this is the only hitch I’ve seen. I recall at least one recent conversation here about trying to dilute a trouble ink. I assume it’s usually all plug and play, no?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Diamine Black Ivy is blue in the bottle, and is still blue when first laid down. When dry it’s a lovely green as the name implies. It’s like a magic a trick and I enjoy writing with it.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

I tried Robert Oster Fire and Ice in a Safari with converter and could not make it work at all. Just scribbling the ink would make maybe half inch lines and then stop until a pick up and joggle. I have no idea what went wrong. Things I know for sure I’d previously used the same safari and converter with a different ink and it was great. Then I rinsed out the same pen and just a cartridge works great. Still have 30 samples to get through so I’m not fussed about making this one work.

Posting to get perspective. Is this common? I’ve done four converter loads of three different inks so far and this is the only hitch I’ve seen. I recall at least one recent conversation here about trying to dilute a trouble ink. I assume it’s usually all plug and play, no?

Posting to correct myself in case it helps anyone else. At the time I hadn’t understood about air bubbles and converters. I guess I thought they were magic or something. Learning to tap and twist/burp it solves everything.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Hello thread! I need a recommendation for a mid-tier pen that gives the thinnest possible line that’s still smooth and nice to use. My only current pen is a lamy 2000 broad so I’d rather not just get the exact same again unless they’re the super best somehow.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions but I clearly phrased it wrong. I was asking around non-luxury gold tips, yes. My bad.

NiftyBottle posted:

By mid-tier do you mean low-ish gold price, like the Lamy you have? Or around the price point of, say, a TWSBI 580?

While I tend to avoid finer nibs, ime Pilot makes very smooth (a bit too smooth for me) nibs that often tend towards finer nibs in a given size. Their modern gold nib pens may be a good option for you if you’re looking at that price point. Of those, I’d be careful about the elite, as it can run a bit large. The Vanishing Points tend to have smaller nibs IME, while the 74 and the 92 have standard eastern nib sizing.

If you’re looking for cheaper options, while I don’t have much experience with fines in the TWSBI 580 range, there are surprisingly nice Pilot 3A EF vintage pens on eBay for <$20.

In terms of nib sizing: the Lamy 2000 broad is fairly smooth. I know it’s your only pen right now, but do you have any experience with smaller/rougher nibs?

Thanks for the suggestion about Pilot!

Yes I’ve worked my way up through disposables and Safaris of all sizes. I love the smoothness of the 2000, it’s the only one I still use. Hoping to find the best EF counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Muir posted:

I had a run of several Safaris all with nibs that were misaligned out of the box. Even their higher end pens like the 2000 don't have nibs to my liking. The 2000 in particular has a very small sweet spot.

Thanks for saying this. I love my 2000 and it’ll be my daily until one of us dies but I’m glad to know “it’s not just me” with the sweet spot.