Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
I just picked up a Rotring Rapid Pro and a Lamy Safari to mess around with, and had a question: anyone know of good resources centered around improving penmanship? Mine isn't absolutely terrible, but my legibility takes a major hit when I have to jot things down quickly (which, unfortunately for people who have to read my writing, is happening more and more), and figured I should work on remedying my doctor-esque scrawl while I'm still a student.
(Dunno if this is the best thread to ask, but I figured since it's about pens it'd be a good place to start)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
A family member seems pretty gung ho about buying me a fountain pen for my birthday, and is set on the Pelikan M205. It looks good, from what I've seen, but for $140, I can't help but think there are better choices. I'm kind of leaning towards saying "hey save money and get a TWSBI Vac 700 or 580" or if they're dead set at that price point, a Lamy 2000 or something. Has anyone had experience with a few of these, who can compare and contrast? For context, all I have right now is a Safari and a Vista, both EF.

e: As an aside, how often should I flush a pen if I'm using iron gall ink? I just got in a bottle of Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa and just want to make sure I won't gently caress up one of my pens if I wait too long.

Deviantfish fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 10, 2014

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips, ended up with a Lamy 2000 with an F nib that I'm pleased as punch with. I was also looking into the Custom 74, and kind of want a fancier demonstrator than my beater Safari, however it only comes in F and M. Internet rumblings seem to make it seem like the soft fine-medium nib is the bee's knees because it'll flex, however that isn't available as a demonstrator. Anyone have any experience with that particular one?

Deviantfish fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 13, 2014

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
Heads up, Amazon has certain models of the vanishing point (Most medium-nibbed ones, from what I've seen) for $85-90.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Yellow posted:

How easy is it to change the nib on a Lamy Al-Star? I received one for christmas from my parents, after they saw me using my Safari. The one they gave me came with a medium nib, and I already find the Fine nib on my Safari is too wide. I've already ordered a Very Fine nib, but I'm wondering if there is anything I need to be careful with when changing it?

Just put some scotch tape on the nib and pull. It's really, really easy.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Dylanthulhu posted:

My friend gifted me a Pilot Metro because he's a nice guy. I've got a bottle of Noodler's Black Eel coming in the mail. I'm wondering if goons can recommend me a dark green? Looking for a bit darker than this. http://www.gouletpens.com/N19039/p/N19039

I'm really really impressed with the pen itself. I'm used to my fingers aching but with this I don't have to apply a lot of pressure to get a firm line. My friend that got it for me has six fountain pens, I'm already shopping for more.

Private Reserve Ebony Green and Cult Inks Deep Dark Green might be interesting choices. Some folks have had mold problems with ebony green, though.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
If anyone is interested in grabbing Sailor Bung Box inks, Massdrop is doing a group buy of them. They're still not cheap, but it's better than figuring out the shipping headache yourself I suppose.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Switching gears: I'm looking for a nice dark grey, black, or blue to use in my Lamy Al-Star with an F and maybe EF nib. I will typically be using it for work, so whatever I go with needs to behave well on typical crappy copy paper. I would prefer to avoid Noodler's inks as I've not had great experiences with them in the past, and heard they don't play nicely with Lamy pen feeds, but I can still experiment. Any suggestions?

If you can get your hands on it, Sailor Bung Box 4B is the only dark blue/blue-black I've ever liked. If you're feeling more risqué though, Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, Sailor Bung Box Sapphire, and Sailor Yama-Dori (probably the darkest of the bunch) are all great choices and very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

Will the VP leak while retracted?

I've never had it leak, even after using it on several flights.