Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Glazius posted:

Those walkers are pretty zippy, aren't they? Are we able to research new weapons and unit types, or do they just show up on a mission-by-mission basis?

The walkers move at the speed of the slow as all gently caress. It's one of the reasons why I didn't build any before getting the factory into place in the next mission. We're not able to research new weapon type or get units before the game allows us to sadly.

Speaking of the next mission, have an update.

AT9 Walker "Sasquatch"
Slow as poo poo and ugly as sin. The go to unit for massive firepower and lots of armor. Useful in certain situations only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Lunethex posted:

The weapons on its arms are too far apart to make good use of against anything not just as wide (like a Recycler). Some of the more unique weapons are pretty decent on it though.

Yeah, the gun convergence is not that great on the walkers. You might have noticed in the latest video how it actually caused me to miss an enemy target at close range.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Welp, I finally had some more time to sit down and do a few practice plays for the next mission. In a surprising turn of events, it took all of eight minutes to play and beat. I have a feeling that you fine goons might be getting a double episode for Christmas.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Man, delay after delay. I do apologize about that. I just got done recording the tenth mission and it's also pretty short. I won't be able to do any of the voice over work until at least Monday but I will go ahead and see if I can get the next mission or two recorded as well. Keep an eye out in the next few days for missions 9 and 10 to drop and maybe 11 and 12.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

gregory posted:

Aw sweet! We've got some really interesting missions coming up, if I recall (as in, they add some rather unique objectives/ways to do them that are vastly different from "base build--collect resources--build huge attack force--destroy everything").

Most definitely. Specifically, missions 10 and 11 but I won't spoil the surprise just yet. I'm considering if I want to start the Soviet story before or after mission 13 as there is a bit of a game changer that kinda spoils the Soviet campaign if you are at all interested in the story.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

SugarAddict posted:

Holy crap, I thought I would never live to see the day someone do an LP of this awesome game. I have it and it is still pretty good by today's standards.
Edit: I have the N64 version which appears to be much different from yours.

Yeah, there are a number of differences as I recall but I never had the N64 version so I can't tell you exactly what they are.

:siren:Movie Alert:siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

hirvox posted:

I don't remember whether it was in this one or in Battlezone 2, but I think you can equip your gun towers with Flashes to dramatically increase their effectiveness, especially against faster targets.

Might be something worth checking out.

:siren:Did someone say "Double Update"?:siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

JamieTheD posted:

As much as I loved Battlezone, these two videos really prove how erratic the difficulty curve can be, and how being psychic can utterly break the challenge. Spoilers for those who didn't watch the videos.

Be cautious like you would in a few previous retrieve missions? Possibly lose because getting there faster is a much better idea.

Be quick in mission 10 like you were the last loving mission, get your poo poo wrecked by the walker.

Go after the third tug in M10? Lose the mission. Plot events, yay!

Still, good job, Cap, for getting through those annoyances with minimal hassle!

I still rather like these two levels. It was a very nice change of pace, even if the first time I played mission nine I tried to set up a whole drat base with gun towers and everything.

We are headed to Europa next and mission 11 just happens to be one I enjoy a lot. I am aiming for dropping it on Thursday as the mission is already recorded. I just need to do the commentary and editing.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Loxbourne posted:

The Walker has a giant weakness HK hasn't shown off yet. Fingers crossed we'll see it in an upcoming video.

Does it start with a T and end with humper?

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Panboy posted:

The thumper is both the best weapon in the game and the worst, As sometimes it really fails to work or just fucks up your own guys and your self. It's really situational but great for gun towers. And I just love the idea of it, Fire off a thump and watch was the world ripples ahead of you. Well that's the idea anyway. Old graphics don't really do it justice.

Kitty is there any chance you you post screen shots off the Briefings pre and post mission there's quite a bit of background story in them that expands on the lore of the game a bit?

That might require beating the levels again but you can always cheat and the intro briefs you can look up in the Mission archives.

I don't have any of the pre mission briefings out side of the videos but those can be paused because I am lazy. I do have every single mission win briefing up to this point though. I will see what I can do about sharing them.

:siren:It's that time again!:siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Time to wrap things up on Europa.

:siren:New Episode:siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Veloxyll posted:

FYI, it is Jupiter in the night sky.

Grizzlies - they are not terrain compatible.

Oh I know. I just didn't feel like re-rendering the video. I should do a annotation on the video via Youtube.

Kitty Burger fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 29, 2014

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Glazius posted:

Man, I'm glad your encounter-suit form doesn't take any fall damage. All those drops, all that bouncing.

On the other hand it's pretty funny how you only have one "land from a jump" sound, so swan-diving off the top of a bluff and going over a rise a little too fast sound exactly the same.

Actually, you can take damage in your environment suit. Most of the time, the gravity doesn't provide enough speed to hurt you though.

I just got done recording the first Soviet mission and should be getting that put out sometime in the next day or two.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Panboy posted:

Thats the sequel, They said they wanted wild life to be an important part of the game but they forgot at some point in the making.

I should mention that when I finish this LP and I do plan to before May, I will be doing the sequel.

Have a little something to get pumped for the Soviet campaign.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren: New Episode Incoming :siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

JamieTheD posted:

Ahhh, that was very pleasant, Comrade Commissar! I am certain that this campaign won't end with your name forever being forgotten because of some jackass higher up the chain than- :commissar:

What the heck killed the Walker, as an aside?

Pretty much. The walker was actually killed by the several grizzly tanks that pour into the passes after you kill the recycler.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
That is one of the things I remember most about this game when I first played it. I always found the Soviet units to be much more amusing with their dialogue. It's kind of interesting as the American campaign is played up rather seriously even though some of the units have stereotypical "USA, USA, WHOO" lines, the Soviets feel much more cartoony and pretty much a parody.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren: Another one for the pile. :siren:

Bit of a short one and I do apologize for that. I already have the next mission recorded so I should be able to put that out sometime next week. The goal is to get at least one video a week out so we can finish this sucker off and move on to the sequel.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

JamieTheD posted:

Ah, so that's what I was doing wrong all those years ago! It is, just about, possible to murder the Black Dogs via a combination of sniping and micro, but is definitely the wrong way to go about it, as you've shown. As short as this vid is, it definitely shows two things about Battlezone.

1) It uses some very nonstandard missions

and 2) It doesn't gently caress around.

Pretty much. Several of the Soviet missions have you using non-standard equipment and having severely limited resources. It forces you to start thinking more tactically about what the best option is and makes you use your forces wisely to overcome a task. This will be apparent in the next video.

Steelion posted:

So this is going a bit into the future, but when you play through BZ2, are you planning on going though Forgotten Enemies as well? It's technically a mod, so I wouldn't blame you if you don't, but IIRC it had a few of the staff from BZ2 helping out, so my understanding is that it's kind of an officially unofficial expansion pack.

I may? I am going to lean on the side of no since it is not an official expansion. It's all a matter of me being able to get it running and finding a place to source it from. I already had BZ2 on CD so that wasn't such a problem.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

gregory posted:

Oh man, when you went after the howitzers, was that two howitzers stuck inside of each other? It only turned to fire on you once you blew the first one up! Hahaha

Yup! I did have some audio I cut where I actually mentioned it. Seemed real silly at first when I was seeing two health bars for what looked like one howitzer at a glance.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren:It's happening!:siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

gregory posted:

You can see in this video exactly why they made the bombers so slow and hard to handle--with that kind of firepower, could you imagine what would happen if they were quick to move and turn? Sometimes, in missions where my forces are super built up and I've already got it in the bag, I love to recycle everything and just make a fleet of bombers to go into the enemy base. It's pretty ridiculous.

I would be interested in doing stuff like that if they were better at being damage sponges but they barely last longer than a regular tank.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Tasmantor posted:

God drat it, ep 7 has been blocked down under for copy right wankery. What money grubbing sad sack blocks a let's play video? I'm sure that it will do untold damage to their bottom line if they don't block, no wait that's loving stupid.

gregory posted:

It was probably a music issue. Trying to think back to that, it was probably the montage music during boring base building.

Unfortunately, even with acknowledging that the video did have music I don't own, I can't make it available for everyone. I probably should start looking into alternative hosting situations so that this doesn't happen again. Sit tight, Tasmantor. I'll see what I can do to make it so you can view the video.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren: Movie Alert! :siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Here's episode 7 for you, Tasmantor. Hopefully the few hundred meg file sits well with your internet. http://www.filedropper.com/m7

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Panboy posted:

There is an oddness though in the way the follow command can work, Some times if you are too far ahead of your dudes they wont engage enemy's and instead try to catch up all the while taking fire from all around, So sometimes it can be useful to stop every now and again to let em catch up, or Drive at half speed. (Press Q rather than W) its even in the game!

It's painful how often I have to drive at half speed because of my dumb AI buddies :smith:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren: Video Time :siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Loxbourne posted:

Your minelayer stopped laying mines because it ran out of ammo - the bar under its health turned black on your HUD.

I dimly recall that briefing line about snipers isn't just fluff. There are actual snipers scattered around this map, who can and will pick you off if you get stranded on foot.

I actually had the same problem in a previous run through the mission and even after refilling the minelayer's ammo, it wouldn't lay any more mines. Might have just been a random bug but I didn't even bother trying to resupply it in the final run through.

Never did see any of the snipers but I could believe that there were some out there.

gregory posted:

I must say I completely forgot how unbelievably dangerous a full APC can be.

What happened that second time you died? Did a chunk of your own exploding tank hit you and destroy you midair?

I think the recycler blew up just as I had been launched out of my tank and the resulting explosion killed me in midair.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
I ain't dead. New episodes are coming and I'm going to do my best to make sure the LP itself is finished by the end of this month.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Welp, I just nearly maxed out my hard drive. CCA missions 6-8 are recorded and just need some commentary. Mission 13 for the NSDF is also recorded and will get commentary. Gonna put out one video a day this week starting tomorrow. Gonna be wrapping this bitch up.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren:New Video Time:siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Loxbourne posted:

Did that mission bug out? I'm sure I remember more than just token defences.

It's quite possible. I started seeing some weird poo poo happen in the last few missions for the CCA.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren:More Mission Fun Time:siren:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
:siren: The last CCA Mission :siren:

I know I wanted to get out one video a day this week but with having to re-record the footage for the last CCA mission due to Fraps being a shitter and causing massive slowdowns and dropped framerates, this will likely be the last video for a few weeks. I've recorded up to Mission 15 for the NSDF campaign, just need to get to the voice over work.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

hirvox posted:

Incidentally, this video showed one of the minor features of the SP Stabber that's going to be important soon; The concussion from the hit will skew the target's view more than the AT Stabber. If you equip your personal tank with dual SP Stabbers, the few remaining missions will become a lot easier.

Funny enough, both missions 13 and 14 for the NSDF are rather easy, despite being so late game. I rarely can justify building an armory or having it sit on a geyser just to outfit myself with some SP-Stabbers for a tank I am likely to lose rather quickly.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Panboy posted:

The Armory comes in very handy for rearming and repairing in the field so that your tanks dont explode, I normally use them to fire some ammo and health ahead of me where I expect combat.

Mind you the enemy can grab that stuff just as easy as the player.

Also Flash cannons. The number one item.

BlackDog light tanks have phantom ir, Its a secondary weapon that makes you go invisible, so nope its Not a glitch.

The fury beeing the tank that he is lived so long, after running outa ammo in the first fight and you got so angry at him for being useless.

Yeah, I tend not to think far enough ahead to get the benefit of the armory. I really would like to show off the different weapons and in mission 15, we actually find a use for the mortar. I'm glad to know it wasn't a glitch or something where the light tanks kept disappearing on me. Come mission 16, I will make it a point to start double stacking SP-Stabbers because I am not disagreeing that they are awesome. I'm just not super good at this game.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Loxbourne posted:

This caught me by surprise on a replay years after I'd finished that campaign...but there's an alternate ending to that mission.

Build more Furies and bring them to the final battle with you. The, ah, outcome is quite different. Oh yes.

I smell a potential bonus episode.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Yeah, sorry about the lack of updates here. Things have been rather crazy and with the possibility of going back to school on the horizon, I am going to try and get the last few episodes out rather soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Welp, so much for getting those episodes out soon. I have the episodes recorded and have some free time over the next few days to get some commentary in but I'm recovering from some manner of throat infection so my voice isn't up to snuff. Would anyone mind if I shoved out one or two episodes with subtitles?

• Locked thread