Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
How do you guys break up different roles within the same project? As separate employments or as bullets within one employment. I just got "lead" added to my job/title recently and I'm wondering the best way to reflect that, since that is definitely something I want on their somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
This thread has inspired me to amp up my Linkedin usage. Well, this thread and the email I got from a recruiter yesterday.

I'm wondering what I should emphasize in my profile if I'm still relatively green and I'm mostly focused on getting a job I fit with, regardless of industry? My professional experience is limited (customer support, retail, and freelance writing). I had a ton of leadership experience in college (graduated last May), so I assume I should emphasize that?

My ideal situation is to get into an early-stage startup, or into a later-stage one if it's the right fit (the latter being more likely to happen on Linkedin). Right now, I feel like I'm more of a generalist than anything else, which is probably not the strongest image to give off.

Also, do you ever get recruiters who contact you about a position you seem very under-qualified for? The one that contacted me wants to speak about a job I feel I would enjoy and do well in. The weird part is that the job description calls for 8 years experience. I certainly don't have that much. I know experience is flexible, but this feels like a bit of a stretch? I've a phone call tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I thought this was an interesting read comparing recruiters on LinkedIn to guys trying to pick up girls on online dating sites:

http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2013/02/05/what-technical-recruiters-can-learn-from-online-dating/

My main takeaway was that "too many people trying to recruit me" is a problem I would like to have. I'm still at the point where I am reaching out to recruiters and trying to build up my network following the blueprint in the OP.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 26, 2013

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I just graduated college and started my first job, and I've been getting lots of connection requests from students I don't know at all. If this were Facebook I'd delete them, but should I accept just to grow my network? What are the negative consequences of having connections I haven't even met?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Absolutely none as far as I see.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just got onto LinkedIn a few days, so far so good but are direct messages a Premium-only thing? Through another website, I found a pretty nice job in a geographic area where I want to work and applied for it there (technically through that company's website). Today I see the same listing go up on LinkedIn and the recruiter listed her LinkedIn profile alongside it. I want to message her, not just for "Here's my resume, oh God please hire me" but also for "hey your job listing was kind of vague, could you describe the position in more detail?", but the only way I can see to do that is a Connection. Is there some PM feature I'm not seeing?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 27, 2013

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

zmcnulty posted:

I'm the admin of the (only?) SA-related group on Linkedin, Stairmasters. Would be great to throw it in the already-awesome OP if you can! 87 members at the moment.

I've sent you a request to join the group - sent a message too, but I don't have permission to do that, well, yet.

Rad R. fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 27, 2013

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
In the spirit of expanding my professional network - it always helps if you know someone who knows someone - I will be sending out many connection invites today.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I'm in the Stairmasters group, as of today. How do I know who's a fellow Goon? And as far as invites go, I'm all for it, but we do have to know who's who on LinkedIn.

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Thanks for this thread, I had a LinkedIn account that I used sparingly, but this thread has motivated me to make more use of it. I was accepted to Stairmasters, thanks! Feel free to connect with me if any one wants to.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
How much detail do you put in for each of your positions. Right now I have a very brief (one line) description. Should I put in more of a description, or is no one really going to read it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Spending some downtime at work playing around with LinkedIn, and I'm trying to get 100% on my profile. When I click "Improve My Profile" now the only things that pop up are to list my college coursework (gotta check my old transcirpts when I get home tonight) and to share my profile on Twitter/Facebook (already did), yet I'm still sitting at "Advanced". Will listing those courses put me at 100% or is there some other improvement that could be done? My video game instincts are kicking in and I must 100% everything :ohdear:

I also sent a request to join Stairmasters, should I send a message on LinkedIn to say "hey I'm a goon" or...?

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
My phone call with the recruiter didn't happen. Not sure why, but she just didn't call. So after a half hour, I got bored and went shopping. Fortunately, I've been making connections with a couple dozen Linkedin recruiters. I suppose the fun part is digging for the ones I want to contact, while waiting for others to contact me?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I've never found recruiters or headhunters to be particularly good with keeping appointments. They're in a numbers game for "sales," not a customer service role.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Just got onto LinkedIn a few days, so far so good but are direct messages a Premium-only thing? Through another website, I found a pretty nice job in a geographic area where I want to work and applied for it there (technically through that company's website). Today I see the same listing go up on LinkedIn and the recruiter listed her LinkedIn profile alongside it. I want to message her, not just for "Here's my resume, oh God please hire me" but also for "hey your job listing was kind of vague, could you describe the position in more detail?", but the only way I can see to do that is a Connection. Is there some PM feature I'm not seeing?

So I tried doing this but LinkedIn limits how many characters you can put in a Connection-making message. Should I just suck it up, make a Connection, and then directly message her about describing what she listed in more detail?

E: It won't let me make a connection if I select "I don't know [NAME]" :argh: Will it be weird if I select Colleague or something else?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 28, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

No one reads the connection messages. I always Approve contacts from my email so I never see them.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If anyone can think of a simplistic, non-time-consuming way I can verify applicants to the group are actually goons, I'm all ears. Monthly password or something? There's a text box where you can add a comment when you apply for the group, right?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
"I am protected"

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

If anyone can think of a simplistic, non-time-consuming way I can verify applicants to the group are actually goons, I'm all ears. Monthly password or something? There's a text box where you can add a comment when you apply for the group, right?

Just have them make a reference to :tenbux: in the comment when they apply and say something about it in this thread's OP.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
When you send a connection request and pick "groups" it will allow you to specify the related group, which in this case will be Stairmasters.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm not looking to get connected with every single goon, though. I think if you can just add a comment to the group request, it'll be fine.

Dead Pressed posted:

"I am protected"

We'll do this until the end of March. Hiro can you add it to the OP? I've added it to my post on p1.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 28, 2013

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Spending some downtime at work playing around with LinkedIn, and I'm trying to get 100% on my profile. When I click "Improve My Profile" now the only things that pop up are to list my college coursework (gotta check my old transcirpts when I get home tonight) and to share my profile on Twitter/Facebook (already did), yet I'm still sitting at "Advanced". Will listing those courses put me at 100% or is there some other improvement that could be done? My video game instincts are kicking in and I must 100% everything :ohdear:

I also sent a request to join Stairmasters, should I send a message on LinkedIn to say "hey I'm a goon" or...?

Do you have at least 50 connections? That is the one major thing that is not explicit, but you need in order to get to "All-Star" in profile strength.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Okay, so I'm in the Stairmasters group, but I assume not all members are Goons?
My profile is at "All-Star" strength, for what it's worth.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I just went through and requested connections with about 10 people in the group. I just picked people who are in IT/web jobs in the Austin (where I live) or southern California (where I want to live) areas. I put "goon" and my SA username in the message, so don't reject me!

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

sim posted:

I just went through and requested connections with about 10 people in the group. I just picked people who are in IT/web jobs in the Austin (where I live) or southern California (where I want to live) areas. I put "goon" and my SA username in the message, so don't reject me!

Connection accepted.

Totally unrelated:

<rant>

Being overly selective about accepting invites is missing the point. There's no downside to making and accepting invites - you do not get LinkedIn cooties.

Case in point: I'm on my second round of interviews for what is for me an absolute dream gig, entirely through LinkedIn connections. It's nice not having to go through the usual, throw your resume down an automated well and hope that you keyword optimized your resume so that a contract recruiter might possibly connect the dots and put your resume and cover letter in front of a hiring manager.

I'm curious as to the rationale for people who have their settings require an email address in order to send a connection request - as I see it, if you're limiting your network to people who you already know well enough that they have your email address, what's the point?

</rant>

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
You can easily tell who I am in the Stairmasters group, my company name is Rad Recorder. Yeah, that's where my username comes from. One of the reasons I joined SA, after years of following Photoshop Friday, Your Band Sucks and lurking around Punchsport Pagoda, was to connect with like-minded people. That's why I love SA, it filters out a lot of stuff I try to avoid online. And it's a better way to connect than Facebook, duh.

But the problem I often face on LinkedIn, and I hope to resolve that thanks to places like SA, is that I always get invites from people I know, who aren't in the same line of business as I am, or are working in a business I want to get away from. I'm in Croatia and want to travel, expand my horizons, find decent business opportunities, but LinkedIn keeps pushing me back into that same circle, based on the 'people you might know' formula.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

For anyone who previously submitted a group request to Stairmasters without "I am protected", don't bother withdrawing and resubmitting. It appears that your old request will just be reopened without an option to add said magic words. And if you try to message the managers you'll likely get a "Not authorized" error.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Sarcasmatron posted:

Being overly selective about accepting invites is missing the point. There's no downside to making and accepting invites - you do not get LinkedIn cooties.

So is it kosher to just blind invite tons of people from the group? Otherwise there is maybe 1 person in my industry.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Slig posted:

So is it kosher to just blind invite tons of people from the group? Otherwise there is maybe 1 person in my industry.

Absolutely. The thing about networks is they're crazy exponential and unpredictable. Adding 5 1st level connections can add hundreds of 2nd level connections, and tens of thousands of 3rds. It's also highly unlikely you'll ever need any of those, but you want to maximize the chances that that one special connection falls in your lap. Like Sarcasmatron said above, one connection can lead to dream gigs that bypass all of the usual HR hassle.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

I thought this was an interesting read comparing recruiters on LinkedIn to guys trying to pick up girls on online dating sites:

http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2013/02/05/what-technical-recruiters-can-learn-from-online-dating/

My main takeaway was that "too many people trying to recruit me" is a problem I would like to have. I'm still at the point where I am reaching out to recruiters and trying to build up my network following the blueprint in the OP.

Funny thing, when I was writing up the OP, I had a lot of the same techniques and attitudes in mind that also applied to my experience on OKC. A lot of them resulted from the discussions in the (now defunct) Online Dating thread. Much of it definitely does also apply to getting jobs on Linkedin; particularly in regards to crafting the format of your profile (quality of content and delivery over exacting and/or irrelevant or generic information), emphasis on efficiency of output and sprinklings of personalized details over careful and time consuming crafting of words, etc.

Get good at Linkedin, and you'd probably be good at online dating, in other words. At least if you're male; women don't really generally have to worry about getting people's attention. :)

zmcnulty posted:

I'm not looking to get connected with every single goon, though. I think if you can just add a comment to the group request, it'll be fine.

We'll do this until the end of March. Hiro can you add it to the OP? I've added it to my post on p1.

I'll put it in now.

Slig posted:

I was going to do this at some point myself. If it freaks one or two people out, it won't bother me if they don't accept it. I have a poo poo ton of connections so for most people it'd probably help them out a great deal. If they disagree, that's their choice and I'm not going to take it personally.

Rad R. posted:

But the problem I often face on LinkedIn, and I hope to resolve that thanks to places like SA, is that I always get invites from people I know, who aren't in the same line of business as I am, or are working in a business I want to get away from. I'm in Croatia and want to travel, expand my horizons, find decent business opportunities, but LinkedIn keeps pushing me back into that same circle, based on the 'people you might know' formula.

I'd just do member searches using keywords relevant to the business you want to be in. You can restrict it by location and then just send mass connection requests with the pre-written text in it. I doubt anyone active or semi-active on the site is going to refuse you.

The other option is to do searches for local chapters of larger professional organizations/associations or just local versions of groups involved in the industry you want to break into.

I wrote a lot of guidance regarding groups in the OP, because groups are so integral and necessary to success on Linkedin. Check it out and I'm sure you'll find some useful info.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
So I just sent connection requests to a bunch of people in the group, but doing it one by one got tedious after a bit so I'll send more later. I'm the handsome guy in the tux.

After a while, it stopped letting select "Group" as how I knew people. Not sure if that was a consequence of sending out a lot of requests at the same time or individual contact preferences. I just started selecting "Friend" though, so if that piques anyone's curiosity, that's why.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks, you've been quite helpful and this is one mighty useful thread. I've discovered some actual benefits of using LinkedIn. Thus far, I've been joining groups that usually don't go anywhere, or feature newly established geek-themed blog owners that want pro bono writers, or seek illustrators who 'need exposure'.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A recruiter looked at my profile! :woop: I saw that she posted a job in one of my groups and included her e-mail, so I messaged her to get more specific on where it is, and then she looked at my profile and I asked for a Connection and she accepted! It's a start.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is curious the character limit on connection request messages is about 300. I tried to send one to the director at another publishing company and I was ~400 characters over the limit on a 115 word message :(

So I guess the question is should I super pare this down hardcore or just send a generic invite and message her later if she accepts? Background: I interviewed with her for a job last year, but I did not have the qualifications she wanted. Now I do and I want to explain them a bit and ask her if she'll please keep me in mind for future openings.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
A marketing communications gig opened up near me, and I see the recruiter's info is open. However, even though I have both marketing and writing experience (online and in print), the fact the latter is mostly in enthusiast media winds up being a stopping block for literally every job in this area.

Seriously, even though I lay it out with the names of the publications (one is PlayStation: The Official Magazine) the question still comes up as to what I've written about in the past. When it comes up that it's enthusiast media, bam. Everything sorta grinds to a halt.

Should I just bite the bullet and message the recruiter saying that I'm interested in the position, but before I take too much of either side's time I'd just like to confirm my experience is congruous with the needs of the company?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Defenestration posted:

If anyone is curious the character limit on connection request messages is about 300. I tried to send one to the director at another publishing company and I was ~400 characters over the limit on a 115 word message :(

So I guess the question is should I super pare this down hardcore or just send a generic invite and message her later if she accepts? Background: I interviewed with her for a job last year, but I did not have the qualifications she wanted. Now I do and I want to explain them a bit and ask her if she'll please keep me in mind for future openings.

My email client just shows me "Bob Smith has requested to connect with you! Click HERE to accept"
To actually see their message, I have to go through a bunch of hoops. I always just Accept and let them message me again if it's about anything important. Similarly, I usually type a low effort connection request and, after I got accepted, send them my full message.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Sarcasmatron posted:

Just curious - what does connecting with someone you don't know (e.g. random person, someone in Stairmasters, etc.) actually get you? I would feel awkward asking a random person for support when they have no idea if I am a capable person or a corporate slacker. Conversely if someone I didn't know asked me for help I would be worried because I wouldn't feel comfortable effectively vouching for someone when I've never worked with them.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

kansas posted:

Just curious - what does connecting with someone you don't know (e.g. random person, someone in Stairmasters, etc.) actually get you? I would feel awkward asking a random person for support when they have no idea if I am a capable person or a corporate slacker. Conversely if someone I didn't know asked me for help I would be worried because I wouldn't feel comfortable effectively vouching for someone when I've never worked with them.

From the OP:

HiroProtagonist posted:

Linkedin is not Facebook, and the people who use it are not your friends--when in doubt, send connection requests.

Linkedin is all about professional networking and human interaction, not making friends and socializing. Like real life, getting a job is all about who you know. Linkedin facilitates that to an incredible degree by making it easy and quick to both find and accept useful professional connections. The key individuals who are sponsoring and recruiting for those job openings are often so busy that they would never in a million years have the time to do that networking if it were done face-to-face. With Linkedin though, all you have to do is click, click, click.

When in doubt, send a connection request (if it's possible). You never know who just might someday happen to be working at the company you want to apply to, or heading up the division that's expanding its team and needs a new member. At an absolute minimum, you will expand your reach and visibility with every new contact you make.

Since this comes up occasionally, I should mention that nobody will think it's weird to receive an unsolicited connection request. In fact, that's the way Linkedin usually works. In the vast majority of cases, it's not required nor necessary to explain to someone why you'd like to connect. Send requests, send them often.

Without getting too much into how or why, Linkedin facilitates making new connections if you share the same group. More profile information is generally available to group peers, and on top of that, any keyword searches (a recruiter searching for potential candidates by required skills or experience, for example) will return the most "relevant" Linkedin profiles closer to the top of the results. "Most relevant" in this case meaning the results with the most complete set of information available, which due to most peoples' visibility settings will either be their 1st (direct) or 2nd (shared group or connection) degree connections. This is a prime reason that having connections is a prerequisite for effective job searching.

:siren: Connections are required if you want the jobs to come to you. :siren:

In short, connections facilitate your personal visibility. The more visible you are, the more likely someone searching for someone to fill a role is to see enough of you to interest them.

If you're the proactive sort (and you should really cultivate that mentality whether it comes naturally to you or not), having connections also facilitates, or in some cases, is the only possible way to get to the point of being able to message the people that you really need to get access to.

There is never a downside to having more connections.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Fair point, in truth my question was not very hypothetical.

Any suggestions for dealing with an impersonal/mostly unknown connection that is asking for me to give their resume to our HR department? I don't want to hand it to HR and either say 'I have no idea if this guy is good' nor vouch for someone I do not know. This person I literally met once at meeting a year ago. Guess I could just say I barely know them and don't feel comfortable giving their info to HR which would be a semi-implicit recommendation.

Second question, has anyone ever been asked to provide an endorsement (the real kind, not the skill kind) for someone who is really terrible and most certainly does not deserve one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

'With sufficient motivation, Bob has the potential to be an accomplished worker" ie backhanded compliment. Alternatively, just ignore it or don't friend horrible people.

• Locked thread