Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
Membership pending for the goon group. :V

Very glad the OP made this thread - a lot of good advice too. I moved to NYC earlier this year and finally completed my LinkedIn profile. Joined a bunch of work-related groups. I got a job a week and a half later. My resume's no great shakes, either.

The caveat to all this is that you've got to live in a place that has jobs. People can't complain and say that LinkedIn doesn't help if they live in an area with no opportunity to begin with.

Nether Postlude fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

zmcnulty posted:

Personally I am pretty loose with connections, since adding someone on LinkedIn and actually providing a reference are two different things. A lot of times it can just be interesting to read resumes of people in a field you are interested in or with skills you want to obtain, to see how they use them. Or if they work or have worked for a company you are interested in, maybe he/she can just provide some idea of the culture and such. Hell there are plenty of other reasons to connect with someone besides recommendations. So if anyone wants to connect with me please feel free.

I am too. If anyone wants to connect with me, do a search of the group for the "user experience designer" in NYC and that's me. :j:

• Locked thread