Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

kitten smoothie posted:

Curious if anyone's used the premium stuff (mainly the "Job-seeker" package) and have any opinions on it?

It's not worth the money. I was given premium when I graduated from college as a parting gift from career services. It was convenient but I didn't notice an improvement in my job search from before when I had premium and now that I do not have premium. For recruiters its definitely useful because of the messaging but for seekers not so much.

E: The breakdown.

Who's viewed my profile: This is interesting but not very useful. Its nice to see who viewed your profile to gauge who it is attracting but the non-premium view is fine. You don't need to see the entirety of who looked at it to tell if its attracting who you want.

Full Profiles: I thought this was awesome because I could see all of those people who I was barely connected to but it really isn't needed you can always ask for an introduction from one of your higher connections.

Full Name Visibility: Useless, no one gives a poo poo what my common full name is.

Premium Search: It makes searching more convenient but you can make up for it by putting in more time to your searching and picking through companies/jobs.

Profiles Per Search: Pointless I'm trying to find a job not a person/profile, good for a recruiter.

Search Alerts: Also pointless if you are serious about finding a job you search every day. You don't need any more spam than you already get.

Reference Search: Also pointless, merely talking to people and asking them to introduce you to someone else is enough.

InMail Messages: Very nice for a recruiter, I found them to be useless as recruiters were already happy to respond to me.

Company Introductions: Again pointless, you want a connection with someone working for the company who can recommend you for a job not just "the company".

OpenLink: I turned this one once and immediately got messaged by someone trying to run an MLM so I turned it off right away.

Profile Organizer: Handy for organization but nothing you can't do yourself with simple files on your HD.

Priority Customer Service: Yeah this is BS you get the same customer service no matter what and its mediocre.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

close to toast posted:

Do you recommend reaching out to potential hiring managers before you've made any formal contact with them? I was researching a job yesterday and stumbled on the profile of the senior manager of the group I'm interested in joining. I also noticed that he looked at my profile this morning.

I haven't sent in the application yet (plan to do so by end of day), and I'm being recommended by another employee he's not connected with. Should I send him a request and/or a message expressing interest? I suspect the answer is yes, so my real question is how do I position it? Thanks!

ETA: He's also connected to my current CEO, ha!

I would make contact, make sure you research and understand what the senior manager has contributed to the company. Use that information to start a dialogue and state your interest in working with them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

HiroProtagonist posted:

Personally, I would see this as a little weird. By all means, research the company and pepper any solicitations with relevant information that you find, but researching someone specific is probably both more than a little difficult and may potentially come off as inappropriate to the person you're contacting. (read: easy to come off as creepy.)

They're representing the company, not themselves. I would suggest focusing your interest accordingly.

I should have mentioned I'm coming from a science background where knowing someone's work before speaking with them is essential. That probably doesn't apply for other situations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

StarSiren posted:

I might have missed it in the OP, but I didn't see a lot of information on this: what is the best way to handle the "current position" requirement?

I've been unemployed for a few months now, and LinkedIn keeps asking me for my current position. Do I say "unemployed"? That doesn't seem like the best way to draw attention.

I had this problem too, I put down "Fellow job seeker" at "my university" as my job title. I have yet to have it be treated as a negative or mentioned in an interview.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Browsing linkedin lately is anyone else noticing that more and more "entry level" jobs are requiring 5+ years experience?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Maybe its time to dust off SPSS but for some reason 6 months ago I didn't see nearly as many "entry level" jobs requiring ridiculous amounts of experience.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Does post count matter on linkedin? I see a bunch of people posting terrible facebook and text-like posts on linkedin, its the only reason I can think for people doing this other than stupidity.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

mcsuede posted:

Reasons for doing this:

1) Keep your name at the top of the "news" section on the linkedin homepage for your contacts. Basically increased visibility.
2) Personal branding, creating emotional connections through chatty posts.
3) Authority building through curation.
4) Stupidity / don't understand the network is not facebook.

That sounds a lot like good posting matters, I take it "likes" are the same way. Please tell me they don't have some sort of retarded reputation thing I haven't discovered yet.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I don't know what it is lately but there are a ton of people in my groups, alumni association and science jobs groups, that are horrible at posting. These are people with advanced degrees are born and raised in English speaking countries but, they lack basic English writing skills. To top it all off they spew opinions that are terrible enough to have originated from a lovely subreddit. I've called one of them on it and received a positive response from the community but, I'm not sure that should become something I do routinely. To put this in context a discussion was occurring about how honest you should be with results from your clinical trial and I called out a guy that said you can avoid compensating people for harm done during the experiment as long as you choose a population that is societally marginalized, like minorities/homosexuals. I would leave this group if it weren't for the presence of a bunch of recruiters I would like to connect with in hopes I can get in at a pharmaceutical company.

That's a whole lot more words than I intended but I guess is it a good idea to play politics in these little groups? That's basically in essence of whats going on there, get a strong enough respect from the community and stand a better chance of these recruiters giving you time of day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

After doing this for a long time I think linkedin has become much less useful in the job search. Anyone else have the same sentiment?

• Locked thread