Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Hatless posted:

... These are not your friends. Treat it exactly like a Monster.com resume.

A million times this, the recruiters that pick you up on here often have no idea of either the requirements of the jobs they put you up for or how your skills line up against the requirements.

The amount of times I have ended an interview early because the applicant served up by a recruitment agency was woefully under qualified for the role we advertised for is staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

I wouldn't be worried. Applying via one automated method often works out to be the same as if you applied via another automated method.

Try and get in touch directly with someone who works at that company and see if you can get them to forward you to an in-house recruitment professional. Best way to do that would probably be via Linkedin messaging.

e: and SimplyHired is definitely a legit job posting site if you were concerned about that too.

I wouldn't be worried either, as long as the info on your linkedin is correct it is what your resume would look like after a "recruiter" has fed it into their system.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Sarcasmatron posted:

The purpose of my LI profile is to give potential employers a representative snapshot of my experience, so by your definition it most certainly is my resume.

Forbes agrees with me.

There are a number of suggestions for how to deal with this issue. I have yet to see one that suggests saying you are currently employed when you're not. If you've got a link to one, I'd love to see it.

I always tried to think of my Linkedin profile as a resume that is always "on" where people can get a decent idea of my history / achievements.

I see other peoples profiles when I know they were terminated months ago and "haven't updated" their profiles, I think it would be fairly common. Not right, maybe even intentionally deceptive.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

PrivateEyeball posted:

Nobody reads the invite messages.

I do :shrug:
Then again I also don't add people I don't know.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Xandu posted:

Mine works fairly well. I'd say about 30-40% are stuff I'm interested in, and a lot of the rest are in my field, just not anything I'm anywhere near qualified for, like job postings for a director even though I'm near entry-level.

I don't know what it's based on, maybe the groups I'm in and the fact that my previous jobs are similar to what I'm looking for help.

This happens to me as well, you get ads for junior management and director level roles in the same email. I think it's just key words from your profile.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

KetTarma posted:

They don't want you to apply on your own as then the headhunter would not get paid.

And this is another reason I hate recruiters. They BS the candidates into thinking the job is easy, they BS the employer into thinking the candidate is highly skilled.
This works until the two parties meet and they both realize at about the same that the recruiter has taken them both for a ride.

this is a generalization based on my personal experience interviewing recruitment company identified candidates.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Particularly because as soon as you send a connection request, LinkedIn sends you to a page that allows you to one-click connect with people "you might know." With zero justification.

I hate this, I try to keep a close network of people that I actually have worked with, and then I get an invite from someone I have never heard of before in my entire life who turns out to be some distant connection to someone I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Saveron_01 posted:

They are decent, although the past few years their pay rates have remained stagnant, unless you have experience in a hot field.

I think that with the state of things globally this is probably a pretty common scenario.

• Locked thread