Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

If your job is relatively in-demand then LinkedIn is great. Recruiters periodically pepper you with invitations to talk about opportunities, which you can take or leave as desired. Think of it in part as a resume that is constantly available for anyone to find. It essentially turns the job search equation around so that the jobs come to find your resume, rather than vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Rurutia posted:

The one thing that worries me about LinkedIn is discretion. If you're linked with your manager or boss, a sudden burst of activity can alert them to you looking for other jobs months before you're ready to say anything or are even sure you're leaving. I'm not quite sure how to deal with that, to be honest.

So keep it periodically up-to-date (once a month or so) and they won't ever see a big flurry of change. Not much can change between each month of your employment anyway.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Where the gently caress did my linkedin profile content disappear to? All of my job history, etc. has just vanished and it's saying i'm 'just beginning' on my profile completeness. What the gently caress?

I can't give an idea as to when this happened. It's just loving vanished.

fake edit: It's visible in the iOS app, but the webpage is just blank? see: http://i.imgur.com/zwFhg0V.png

e: Tried both Firefox and Chrome, the latter of which I wasn't even logged in on at the time so nothing weird there.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 3, 2013

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Yeh, actually. Poking around my connections are the same. Connections, Groups and Following appear, but nothing else. I suspect they fat-fingered the desktop view style, since the mobile app view style still displays the content fine.

Apologies for the language earlier. I wasn't looking forwards to rewriting it all again after spending hours doing it the first time.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

2) How do you get an easy to remember profile URL like I've seen some people with, e.g., http://www.linkedin.com/in/timcook? I don't even know where I can set a username like that and my public URL is something like http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-schmoe/12/345/6q7, which is really ugly and forgetful.

edit profile -> find the link under your profile and hit edit -> look to the right for 'customise your pbulic profile URL' and change it to whatever you so desire

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

For startup jobs, some companies occasionally post in Hacker News. More importantly though, you need to utterly immerse yourself in the 'scene' and make a reputation for yourself. That means lots of good posts on StackExchange, code pushes on Github, etc.

As said above, they're not going to have any desire to train you. You need to show your cred in technology stacks that they care about so they know you can hit the ground running. This means you need to keep up-to-date on the languages/packages of the month and be proficient in full-stack solutions depending on how early in the process you want to get in.

Basically, go make Hacker News your tech news site of choice and go from there.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

PrivateEyeball posted:

I'm trying to get back into the whole LinkedIn deal. I've made an effort before but I've ended up making little progress. I'm mostly focusing on finding jobs in two areas:

1) Startups. Any sort of startup. I'm in San Francisco, so it's a hotbed. But there aren't a ton of startups recruiting on LinkedIn to my knowledge.

In support of my earlier post, this popped up today on Hacker News:

Intern at a YCombinator company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I don't think I would ever give a copy of my passport to a company that wholesale agrees that MITM exploitation of email is a good idea. I struggle to give them even the basic info they ask for.

• Locked thread