Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Republic of Artsakh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Artsakh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's definitely part of it, and it makes sense that it'd be particularly popular in the South. It's basically exchanging the least respected ancestry with the most respected non-European ancestry around, that of the Cherokee specifically. Usually a Cherokee princess because that sounded like your ancestor was a cool white man who convinced a proud Indian woman of noble birth to settle down with him, as opposed to the ghastly idea of the sexes being reversed. The latter story is pretty much exactly what I've had relayed to me from the American side of the family, a story of an amazingly fat sheriff who married a(n unusually for these stories perhaps) Sioux princess. Sounded pretty plausible to me as a kid, but I suppose it is easy to believe a story that starts of with "this American, he was real fat".

I wouldn't be surprised if the above got a life on its own though, so people with no apparent black ancestry also started claiming "Indian princess" ancestors, with no understanding of the code. Based on how quickly political messaging can become dogma among the political class that peddles it over time, it doesn't seem like it'd take long for people to forget it was code - and not like anyone who remembered would go "Actually, when I say Cherokee princess that's just code for saying my great-grandma was black".

It was also a good way to explain away why you tanned really, really well in the summer.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Finally, Greece is back home with mother Bulgaria, where she belongs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Not pictured: bulging, massive continent spilling out and covering the rest of the north pole, linking up to North America, called "France".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RIP Slovaks.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Finally, Greece is back home with mother Bulgaria, where she belongs.

I think you mean BULGAliA

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Centuries of Byzantium and Bulgaria raiding each other, geez just get a room already you two

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

what the gently caress

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I blame the Ciechs.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Pretty sure that when Armenia was a client state of the Roman Empire, western Europe was uhh *checks notes* oh yeah, part of the Roman Empire.

Our ancestors only moved into Western Europe around the 5th century. Present-day Dutch and Belgian people have very little Roman ancestry and mostly descend from the Franks and the Frisians.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s beautiful.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Typical lazy topologists, ignoring Gibraltar and the plazas de soberanía.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Platystemon posted:

It’s beautiful.

Now do it again while remembering that Britain has land borders with turkey and spain. And also French new guinea exists.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

VictualSquid posted:

Now do it again while remembering that Britain has land borders with turkey and spain. And also French new guinea exists.

French Guyana but yes. We're all connected baby. Except Ireland Japan and the Caribbean

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I'm the Paraguayan-Chilean border.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
A lot of issues with that but it's very nice and could be well improved. (Like, how does Malaysia border Singapore, but Saudi Arabia doesn't border Bahrain? What about Kaliningrad? Nachichevan? As someone said, Ceuta etc.? What about territories, so we can include things like UK-Spain, France-Netherlands?)

Also,

VictualSquid posted:

No? The UK's sovereign base areas are in Cyprus and one borders Northern Cyprus but that's not Turkey. It's Northern Cyprus. Including a border with Cyprus makes a lot more point, did you mean that?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They go through the effort of putting Britain across from France and Ireland right next to it, but then every other island is just random.

It's a very nice looking piece of work though.

Oh yeah, and they went and said that all the seas connect so they're basically the same thing, but the Black Sea apparently doesn't.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 7, 2020

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We had our chance

But I don't want to have the state of Pontus! I don't loving want to have the state of Pontus!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

VictualSquid posted:

This is like one of those medieval maps that considered the known world from a bird's eye view. Even has Jerusalem towards the center with east facing up

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

But I don't want to have the state of Pontus! I don't loving want to have the state of Pontus!

I don't know if this is a reference to anything but I read it in a Mark Corrigan voice

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

East Malaysia is basically an exclave so if we're going to break the rules for them we need to break it for everybody.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't know if this is a reference to anything but I read it in a Mark Corrigan voice

It was a meme based on people complaining about Total War: Rome.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Is Ceuta really an exclave if you can get to it from the rest of Spain without passing in any other country's territorial waters, or even in international waters?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Golbez posted:

What about territories, so we can include things like UK-Spain, France-Netherlands?)

That's not how maps work, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently the bridge/tunnel between Denmark and Sweden doesn't count either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

:colbert:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

e. wait, this is better

Kennel fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 7, 2020

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
UKMT cross post.

https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1269644536281776128

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's not how maps work, though.

Please tell me how the map posted "works" but adding in the territories "doesn't".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because the map is not the territory.

I prefer this to the real world.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Guavanaut posted:

I prefer this to the real world.

The hard-to-grasp part is that with a precise north/south swap the Americas were much much lower on that map.

Something like this, I guess (Antarctica ignored, because it would make things worse)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 7, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kennel posted:

The hard-to-grasp part is that with a precise north/south swap the Americas were much much lower on that map.

Something like this, I guess (Antarctica ignored, because it would make things worse)

I don't know exactly how this would affect currents/winds but messing with the current system seems like it would screw Europe pretty hard. Spain is on the same latitude as like, New England and Britain is more like northern Canada. They're comparatively much warmer because of the way temperature travels now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

NYC spent more on policing in the last fiscal year than the individual military expenditures of 80% of the countries of the world.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If NYC was a country and the NYPD was its military, it would rank somewhere around 100th in the world in population and 40th in the world by military spending.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is very peculiar definition of country. Gibraltar, really?

Surprising to see countries like Georgia and Ethiopia on there, which have actual armed forces including tanks that have been in wars with neighbouring countries in the past 20 years.

This map gets stranger the closer I look at it. Repubic of Congo (Brazzaville) spends more on its military than DR Congo (Kinshasa)? Benin spends more than Kenya? How many of these countries are just "no data"?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Surprising to see countries like Georgia and Ethiopia on there, which have actual armed forces including tanks that have been in wars with neighbouring countries in the past 20 years.

This map gets stranger the closer I look at it. Repubic of Congo (Brazzaville) spends more on its military than DR Congo (Kinshasa)? Benin spends more than Kenya? How many of these countries are just "no data"?

American police spend enormous portions of their budget on procuring military hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Count Roland posted:

It's probably more outdated data than no data. Besides bad data, there's also the issue of significant differences in pay scales even for seemingly comparable countries and that equipment costs might vary greatly year to year for countries if procurement and maintenance are not consistent.

Wikipedia says:
RoC: 10K personnel(2014) $705 mil budget (2015)
DRoC: 150K personnel on 491 mil budget.(2015 French wiki) (but English wikipedia says 93.5 mil (2004)).