Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FreudianSlippers posted:

My last common ancestor with Björk (the singer) is Guðmundur Stefánsson (1706-1782) farmer on the farm Strönd in the Landeyjar region of southern Iceland. Which makes us 9th cousins I think?.

Am I allowed to gently caress Björk or is it incest?

to be safe icelanders should only have sex with non-icelanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FreudianSlippers posted:

My last common ancestor with Björk (the singer) is Guðmundur Stefánsson (1706-1782) farmer on the farm Strönd in the Landeyjar region of southern Iceland. Which makes us 9th cousins I think?.

She’s nearing 60, so it’s sibling-level incest.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Norway is green here because it's rare, not illegal (at least as of 2012 and for a long time before that). From a statistical eugenics POV the only problem with cousins getting it on is if it's a common thing; if it only happens very rarely in a population, the concentrating effect on problematic genes is negligible and there's no real point in banning it. You get the Habsburgs only if you do that stuff a lot over time.

Once upon a time when I was in high school, I visited the house of a female classmate (we had a school project to work on, that's all; although with hindsight I realize I was an idiot and that shouldn't have been all). About a week later, I heard via my mother that this girl's grandmother had somehow learned that I'd been there and gotten in touch with MY grandmother just to make sure I was aware that I and this girl were in fact second cousins. (I have never had any idea about who is or is not my second cousin; I have like 16 first cousins and know who they all are, each of my parents have some similar number of first cousins, etc.) So while even first-cousin marriage was legal, to the older generation at least second cousins would be socially frowned upon and just not done (don't think anyone in my own generation would give a poo poo though) and nothing escapes the grandma network.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm not sure of the scriptural foundation but the church of england considered it incest for a long time and would annul any marriages found to be between a man and his deceased wife's sister - The government decided this was just inefficient so they straight up banned marriage that met the Anglican definition of incest (which excluded marrying your cousin) in 1835.

This led to decades of campaigning with people saying where in the bible does it say i can't gently caress my dead wife's sister and very moral upright Victorians saying it was morally repugnant.

They eventually legalized it in 1907

For those wondering why this was such a big deal in Britain remember that the only reason Britain is Protestant is that Henry VIII needed an excuse to divorce his dead sisters wife despite the fact the pope said it was cool for him to marry her.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

For those wondering why this was such a big deal in Britain remember that the only reason Britain is Protestant is that Henry VIII needed an excuse to divorce his dead sisters wife despite the fact the pope said it was cool for him to marry her.
Dead sister's wife??? Wow, never knew Britain was so progressive back then.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

No, for unrelated reasons (that are none of your business)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Were these death penalties really enforced? I have a hard time believing that early modern Scandinavia had a well funded Anti-Incest Death Squad raiding villages to find any cousins getting frisky.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
No one expects the Swedish Incestition.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

to be safe icelanders should only have sex with non-icelanders

[suicidal Basques]: No wait what this isn't what's supposed to happen at all!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

If only she hadn't died then Britain could have had it's first trans lesbian queen. Instead it'll need to wait for me to lead the revolution and let power go to my head.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Beyond my typo Catherine of Aragon does appear to have been kind of awesome and its hilarious that Henry VIII split with rome and triggered a century of internal conflict to try and keep his dynasty going and then none of his descendants hosed anyone so it died out in a generation anyway.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Beyond my typo Catherine of Aragon does appear to have been kind of awesome and its hilarious that Henry VIII split with rome and triggered a century of internal conflict to try and keep his dynasty going and then none of his descendants hosed anyone so it died out in a generation anyway.
The first truly English king.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

galagazombie posted:

Were these death penalties really enforced? I have a hard time believing that early modern Scandinavia had a well funded Anti-Incest Death Squad raiding villages to find any cousins getting frisky.

Early modern Scandinavian soldiers were barbaric war criminals who extorted German peasants by pouring searing hot feces down their throats.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Grape posted:

Early modern Scandinavian soldiers were barbaric war criminals who extorted German peasants by pouring searing hot feces down their throats.
That was the Swedes, who turned around and attacked the other Scandinavians.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grape posted:

Aristokraatit!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Danish armies were primarily German mercenaries until the mid-late 1700s.

As for cousincest, all marriages required two men swear you weren't related (or married to someone else, etc), or you could get a royal permit to marry your cousin/brother's widow/etc. I don't have any numbers, but it doesn't appear to have been hard to get such a permit (there are several in the registry of royal letters), aside from paying the associated fee.

In 1610, the punishment for blodskam (incest) in the 2nd or 3rd degree (for example a man and his cousin's daughter) was a steep fine plus exile.

I don't see the punishment mentioned in the code of 1683, only that it was illegal.

It became legal to marry 1st and 2nd cousins, as well as your dead wife's sister etc on December 27, 1770 and it was further relaxed on April 3, 1771, in order "to prevent the expense and waste of time of acquiring of permit". However, it was made illegal again on December 14, 1775 due "the king's consideration for the common wellbeing". It lists two categories, one (somewhat closely related) is never allowed, and one (less related) is allowed with a permit. As for punishment, it just says that it will be "hard".

https://www.nb.no/items/URN:NBN:no-nb_digibok_2014050824017?page=221 1770-12-27 (the website is Norwegian, but these laws cover Denmark-Norway)
https://www.nb.no/items/URN:NBN:no-nb_digibok_2014050824017?page=237 1771-04-03
https://www.nb.no/items/URN:NBN:no-nb_digibok_2009100803018?page=143 1775-12-14

The timing here makes in clear that the more permissive laws were made by Struensee, and the restrictive one came after his fall.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 24, 2021

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I had no idea that incest/cousin marrying was in the same topic category as fast food where goons just won't shut up about it.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

yikes! posted:

I had no idea that incest/cousin marrying was in the same topic category as fast food where goons just won't shut up about it.

Some people have been in quarantine waaaaaay too long if they're this interested in if close family members are off limits or not.

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I just like looking up history stuff, plus it helps with my genealogy research to know those things :shrug:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Post maps, nerds

Source: Some Greek on reddit

Bonus images:

https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1302365894564343808

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Deltasquid posted:

Post maps, nerds

Source: Some Greek on reddit

Bonus images:

https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1302365894564343808

Wonderful illustration that neither Greek nor Turkish nationalists consider Cyprus a legitimate independent country (or even North Cyprus for Turkish ones).

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
that feel when liberation project has been stalled since the 1920s (or, more charitably, the 70s)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

On second look I think the idea is that "Liberation Project" means territory that Greece would take control of.
And "Restoration Project" is areas they want to uh... encourage to be independent Greek states? Or repopulate with Greeks? (though Cilicia was heavily Armenian rather than Greek so???)

But I don't understand the nationalist that would be insane enough to want to reconquer Izmir and Istanbul (and southern Albania), but then would be like "no we won't take the other side of the Marmara".

It would be like Hitler wanting to annex Austria, but just wanted to help local Germans in the Sudentenland without taking it over.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greece in its entirety has a population of about 10 million people. Istanbul on its own has 15+ million only 3000 or so of that being Greeks.

So I'm not sure Greek nationalist dreams of reconquering it are entirely realistic.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

yikes! posted:

My favorite thread has taken a really loving dark turn

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Greece in its entirety has a population of about 10 million people. Istanbul on its own has 15+ million only 3000 or so of that being Greeks.

So I'm not sure Greek nationalist dreams of reconquering it are entirely realistic.

After the mapcolour changes all the people in Istanbul would suddenly be considered Greek. Bing bong so simple.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I've said it before but Greek irredentism is the absolute worst enemy of furthering the expansion of Greek territory and population.

Like that first map shows Cyprus as half orange (thus half "successfully" Greek majority), and implies a work in progress.
The entire island would essentially have been orange until Greece pulled a coup to take the island over and triggered the Turkish invasion that cleared the north of Greeks.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 24, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I know the reason is minimal population, but who the gently caress moves to northern Alaska?

Also it's a good non election map to show how "mostly red map" is a very different thing from "most people are red", since obviously the average should be pretty close to neutral, probably a bit over/more blue because they population is growing. Sure looks red though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Connecticut appear to be fully population loss states. Any others? I think maybe West Virginia and Kentucky but I'm not sure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tell that to Alexander. :helladid:

is that really the best crying greek flag we have?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Greek flag, crying Hagia Sofia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wiz's Crete LP was a beautiful and terrifying thing that deserves to be remembered.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Haven't participated, but the Eibocracy was the funniest poo poo ever.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Grape posted:

(though Cilicia was heavily Armenian rather than Greek so???)

There were quite a few Greeks in the port cities and villages along the coasts. The Armenians were dominant largely in the hills north of Adana or in the more ritzy parts of the cities.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Pennsylvania's only major gain looks to be Center County. Is everyone just going to Penn State and not leaving?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/EU_Eurostat/status/1364515663428026371

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 24, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajnal_line

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Except now Ireland and the Mediterranean are mostly leading with older average pregnancies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

BonHair posted:

I know the reason is minimal population, but who the gently caress moves to northern Alaska?

North Slope oil work.