Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

CellBlock posted:

Pennsylvania's only major gain looks to be Center County. Is everyone just going to Penn State and not leaving?

That also appears to be happening with Central Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Deltasquid posted:

Post maps, nerds

Source: Some Greek on reddit

Bonus images:

https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1302365894564343808

It kind of got missed, but this is why TRT World were posting silly EEZ maps:

https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1301929984643211269

If Greece really wanted to be taken seriously, they shouldn't have used more than nine dashes to denote their EEZ. :colbert:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
What am I missing here? It looks like all of that delineated Med is closer to Greece than to any other shoreline. And since no part of the Mediterranean is international waters (i.e. it's all within 200 nm of some land) this is just... what you'd expect?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Albino Squirrel posted:

What am I missing here? It looks like all of that delineated Med is closer to Greece than to any other shoreline. And since no part of the Mediterranean is international waters (i.e. it's all within 200 nm of some land) this is just... what you'd expect?

TRT World is the Turkish government's English language propaganda media outlet. Guess whose maritime claims are most impeded by all those Greek islands.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Grape posted:

Except now Ireland and the Mediterranean are mostly leading with older average pregnancies.

Yeah, that's an interesting shift.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
new globe dropped

https://twitter.com/l3gsv/status/1365004005097824258?s=21

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

I was reading this as nanometers and I got really confused for a second there.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

idgi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe you just don't live, laugh, and love enough?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a work of genius. Everyone by now knows to look inside the globe for the good liquor, but nobody would dream to look for any in there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Someone in the replies posted this

https://twitter.com/caroleanne327/status/1365022082946449417?s=20

So at least they didn't destroy an antique for this.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that nobody sells a non-map version of one of those, because there's literally no point, but it seems like it'd be cheaper if you didn't have to get a good globe to paint over.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

After all the cakes that looked like mundane objects, it's refresshing to see a mundane object that looks like a cake.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pakled posted:

So at least they didn't destroy an antique for this.
I mean, I can't find any evidence of them existing before 1949, so yeah.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that nobody sells a non-map version of one of those, because there's literally no point, but it seems like it'd be cheaper if you didn't have to get a good globe to paint over.

Printing the map on it isn’t the expensive part.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The resulting... product is so hideous, vile and depraved that it doesn't matter if the original was from Walmart and cost 10 bucks.

Also I'm SPIRTS

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Not nearly as much variation as I would have expected. It would be neat to see this as a global map.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Apparently MENA if there were no Muslim conquests.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Rather respectful of post-colonial borders, that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

And no European either, I guess

e: lol yeah, they stayed independent but just happened to use the same borders as the colonizers that apparently never came

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
How did Egypt become Scandinavian?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Orange Devil posted:

How did Egypt become Scandinavian?

its not scandinavian, the cross isnt offset towards the pole, but it is a christian cross: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_flag

e: vvv yeah i dont think whoever made this map thought it through vvv

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Carthag Tuek posted:

e: lol yeah, they stayed independent but just happened to use the same borders as the colonizers that apparently never came

I'm trying to figure out how Israel fits into this, and where the Byzantine territories went.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
It's also a pretty extremely generous interpretation of Hebrew dominated lands at....any point in history really. Also I celebrate sinking Mesopotamia into the Persian gulf. Or is that some psychotic interpretation of Assyrian cultural extent?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
my favorite part is the generic supermarket brand NUBIANS

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

The idea of a Coptic Egypt (as opposed to an Orthodox one) without the Muslim Conquests is very silly.

But less silly than Mega-Israel I guess.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Two different interpretations of the Judge Dredd world

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It's also a pretty extremely generous interpretation of Hebrew dominated lands at....any point in history really. Also I celebrate sinking Mesopotamia into the Persian gulf. Or is that some psychotic interpretation of Assyrian cultural extent?

no its just a spirally flag with a white background so it looks like water

which turns out to be Dwekh Nawsha, a christian org that was founded in 2014 to oppose isis

so i guess thats why muslims never conquered anything on that map: they were all killed by amazing christians

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Carthag Tuek posted:

no its just a spirally flag with a white background so it looks like water

which turns out to be Dwekh Nawsha, a christian org that was founded in 2014 to oppose isis

It's the Assyrian Flag, which was designed in 1968.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah sorry :doh:

also mostly christian tho, so i stand by my "analysis" of the cartographers motivations

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the state of the oceans is supposed to be in Judge Dredd. So many postapocalyptic dystopias rely on the aesthetics of deserts and Californian wastelands that are extremely hazardous to drive or walk across, but they just ignore the water and assume it'll somehow disappear. I guess it also helps for isolating the new wasteland societies.

Part of how bad Waterworld hosed up is that it just poisoned the idea of a wet postapocalyptic world, leaving nothing to counterbalance Mad Max. There's genuinely fascinating ideas and plenty of real cultures to draw influence from, but one high-profile failure and nobody wants to make that risk again.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Kamrat posted:

Two different interpretations of the Judge Dredd world

ciudad españa is weird, the people from madrid are pretty self-constious about their city, they would not accept to call it anything else but madrid

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Had no idea the prohibition on Jews living in Judea was imposed by the Arabs instead of the romans.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the state of the oceans is supposed to be in Judge Dredd. So many postapocalyptic dystopias rely on the aesthetics of deserts and Californian wastelands that are extremely hazardous to drive or walk across, but they just ignore the water and assume it'll somehow disappear. I guess it also helps for isolating the new wasteland societies.
How about another map?

Essentially the same as the land: polluted, irradiated, and toxic. Though the Black Atlantic is worse off than the rest of the oceans. There actually have been a fair number of Black Atlantic stories in the comics.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Part of how bad Waterworld hosed up is that it just poisoned the idea of a wet postapocalyptic world, leaving nothing to counterbalance Mad Max. There's genuinely fascinating ideas and plenty of real cultures to draw influence from, but one high-profile failure and nobody wants to make that risk again.
I suppose you mean specifically in movies? Cost is also a major factor I'd imagine, Waterworld was the most expensive movie of all time when it was made. Far easier and cheaper to shoot your movie in a desert. Like Turbo Kid, a relatively recent indie wasteland post-apocalyptic movie was shot for only $70,000. In other forms of entertainment, the watery post-apocalypse does come up more. Like in video games, Submerged, the entirely underwater Aquanox series, or Brink. There's basically a Waterworld MMO in development. I've also seen the idea come up in books and comics, but nothing immediately comes to mind.

Which brings another map to mind:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Had no idea the prohibition on Jews living in Judea was imposed by the Arabs instead of the romans.

I know this is a dig at that map, but the Romans only ever barred Jews from living in Jerusalem; they were never prohibited from living in the rest of Judea, though that is a commonly held myth (which accompanies the narrative of Jewish exile from their homeland).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tweezer Reprise posted:

There should be a bunch of coastal Greek city states maybe, or those Greeks would have been ethnically cleansed by that point by the angry Copts and Aramaic speakers in the inevitable Eastern Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox mega violence.

Modern people would shake their head in hearing about the Middle East, "the loving Orthos are at it again aren't they". Like Northern Ireland times 100 and involving the OTHER two Christian branches.

This Israel would be allies with the Arabs, and possibly the entrenched Eastern Orthodox populations, in alliance against the Oriental Orthodox Palestinians and their co-religionists. Also would be in alliance of convenience with the Zoroastrians of Iran.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Carthag Tuek posted:

Without Islam I wonder what degree of "othering" would be in place for Western Euros that they would be comfortable grabbing up Christian land from people who aren't black (cough Ethiopia cough).
I mean odds are good the difference of sect would be more than enough.
Cyprus ended up a colony after all, and Lebanon in demographically part.
And Georgia and Armenia if we count Russia.

CommonShore posted:

I'm trying to figure out how Israel fits into this, and where the Byzantine territories went.

Before the Arab invasions there was enormous tension between the Eastern Orthodox Byzantines/coastal Greek populations, and the inland Oriential Orthodox populations who spoke Coptic, Aramaic, and stuff like that.
Either we can imagine the Byzantine empire managing to hold all that, or eventually that tension would give way and the Byzantines would be pushed out by the non Greek populations.

PittTheElder posted:

The idea of a Coptic Egypt (as opposed to an Orthodox one) without the Muslim Conquests is very silly.

Coptic is a language/ethnic identity not a religion though.
Copts are to this day Oriental Orthodox Christians.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 26, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh definitely yeah, there's no way europe would hold back even if everyone was christian. gently caress sake, there are centuries of european warfare using the tiniest details of christianity to excuse any powerplay you can think of

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Denmark for their flag when it fell down from the sky during a crusade. In loving Estonia, which was hardly a Muslim country. I'm sure we Europeans would manage to pull a racism.

I also love the idea that if Islam didn't happen, the obvious result would be Christians and/or some indigenous minority, not some other large scale empire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh definitely yeah, there's no way europe would hold back even if everyone was christian. gently caress sake, there are centuries of european warfare using the tiniest details of christianity to excuse any powerplay you can think of

Without quite as huge an other I can think that sect as huge rear end deal would maintain to the present day, I mean even now it's not like stuff like that doesn't flare up or still burn in some places.
Northern Ireland of course, but even the Yugoslav wars.
I haven't looked into it much, but how much inter-Christian sectarian violence has been around in Lebanon? Like between the Maronites and the other smaller groups? Is that even a thing?