Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

(2017)

When I was looking for a map like this, most of them I found were just polling multiple countries on one target, or internal maps of a country's approval rating.

Either way, I think there seems to be a certain disconnect in certain areas between the quality of a leader and their local approval rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
The Russian word for horseradish (хрен) is a common minced oath for cock (хуй), so I wonder if that should really be colored sex-related rather than food

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Queen Elizabeth at 40-50%? :raise:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also I'm upset they didn't average the approval ratings of Emmanuel Macron and Bishop Joan-Enric Vives Sicília of Urgell so they could fill in the bubble for Andorra.

e: or do the multifactorial equation for the Swiss Federal Council :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Quorum posted:

Also I'm upset they didn't average the approval ratings of Emmanuel Macron and Bishop Joan-Enric Vives Sicília of Urgell so they could fill in the bubble for Andorra.

e: or do the multifactorial equation for the Swiss Federal Council :colbert:
This is what hatches are for. hosed up lazy map making.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Supposedly that map was actually showing heads of government, not heads of state.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I hate queen Elizabeth and I am one half of britains population

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The business with the Andrew formally known as Prince can't be helping either

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

PittTheElder posted:

The business with the Andrew formally known as Prince can't be helping either

The Firm is in overdrive seeking to make Harry look as bad as the nonce for committing the unforgivable sin of marrying a black woman.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Found in the wild

this is wrong

in spain we say "no me importa una mierda". (translated to "I don't give a poo poo")

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Czech one is also kinda wrong, it's "it's next to the rear end for me" or "je mi to u prdele".

"it's in the rear end" or "je to v prdeli" means "it's hosed".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iceland is also poo poo related:
,,Mér er skítsama" essentially ,,I don't give a poo poo" more accurately probably ,,I shitcare"

Can't even grasp what the one listed is supposed to be.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

TinTower posted:

The Firm is in overdrive seeking to make Harry look as bad as the nonce for committing the unforgivable sin of marrying a black woman.
Literally everyone with a leadership position in the British media agree, because they've all molested children, but few of them have married a black woman.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

King Hong Kong posted:

Supposedly that map was actually showing heads of government, not heads of state.

Finland is definitely the president (no power, ridiculously popular) rather than the pm (at the time around 30% popularity).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Does this imply you think the sausage one is inherently anus related?

to ask the question is to answer it

I thought that phrase belonged to Germany/Luxembourg but you're right, you can also say it in Dutch

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO at Malaysia, so fitting.

Pork barrel politics and all that.

e: It occurs to me pork barrel isn't the best choice of phrase given one of the ethnicities involved, no offense intended.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 22, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pope Hilarius II posted:

to ask the question is to answer it
"De worst gaat in de aars." - Old proverb

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Private Speech posted:

LMBO at Malaysia, so fitting.

Pork barrel politics and all that.

e: It occurs to me pork barrel isn't the best choice of phrase given one of the ethnicities involved, no offense intended.

when the DAP is in power it can be pork barrel

or pork rocket

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Yeah, I mean I'm sure there's smuggling between the US and Canada, but there's also huge amounts of smuggling between, say, California and Nevada, and they haven't bothered mowing the lawn for the entire border between the two states. Interesting that it is due to an old treaty; even ~$40m for annual maintenance doesn't seem too bad.

VV: Agreed! I'm sure Quebec would try to throw a wrench in any such agreement though.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 22, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's also a shitton of illegal immigrants between the US and Canada, mysteriously this doesn't bother the people of either country who are normally Very Concerned about immigrants in the two countries.

I illegally immigrated to Canada, worked illegally for a year, and then popped a u-turn around the border once I got accepted to a school. Got a student visa 0 problems. It's ludicrous that there isn't a schengen-esque deal.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's also a shitton of illegal immigrants between the US and Canada, mysteriously this doesn't bother the people of either country who are normally Very Concerned about immigrants in the two countries.

I illegally immigrated to Canada, worked illegally for a year, and then popped a u-turn around the border once I got accepted to a school. Got a student visa 0 problems. It's ludicrous that there isn't a schengen-esque deal.

The difference in firearms laws alone makes this a nonstarter for most Canadians I think.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Private Speech posted:

The Czech one is also kinda wrong, it's "it's next to the rear end for me" or "je mi to u prdele".

"it's in the rear end" or "je to v prdeli" means "it's hosed".

Also the Slovak "kašlu na to" = "I cough on it" is perfectly valid in Czech as well, it's just more polite than the rear end version. Personally I always use the lame "cough" version because I hate swearing IRL. I wonder how many other languages also have a such firmly set "nice" and "rude" idiom pair that he map can't represent.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Well, sure, but clearly that wasn't the one they were going for.

I mean for UK English you also have "I don't give a toss" and all, albeit that's not that much more polite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
politically-loaded maps:

steinrokkan posted:

it's just more polite than the rear end version

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

steinrokkan posted:

Also the Slovak "kašlu na to" = "I cough on it" is perfectly valid in Czech as well, it's just more polite than the rear end version. Personally I always use the lame "cough" version because I hate swearing IRL. I wonder how many other languages also have a such firmly set "nice" and "rude" idiom pair that he map can't represent.

It also works in German in context, my wife uses it regularly with her German colleagues and they understand it. 😀
I guess "Ich huste darauf" is close enough to "Ich scheiße darauf" (I poo poo on it) to be understood as a slightly weird euphemism (like "darn").
Other ways to say you don't care in German are: "Das geht mir am Arsch vorbei" (That misses/passes by my rear end), "Das juckt/kratzt mich nicht"(It doesn't itch/scratch me), "Das ist mir gehüpft wie gesprungen"(It's like the difference between skipping and jumping to me).
Nothing with animals, except for "Scheiss der Hund aufs Feuerzeug!"(May the dog defecate on the cigarette lighter), although that might be more of a regional thing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I found this series by some youtuber showing off horrible maps.

First vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTByPKpwl8

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0MwcDYjQCaPc1fWfuZzJ-XQuPKW_8Vyw

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The maps aren't wrong, they're just from another timeline.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Carbon dioxide posted:

I found this series by some youtuber showing off horrible maps.

I like how the "sword clashes" look like scissors.

The Bloodiest Scissorings of the Civil War

Alas that I should see my beloved union fall to petty tribadism

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What’s up with the cat in the second reich helmet and why does that trigger my nazidar so hard

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I did not realize that there was a significant pro-confederate contingent on Long Island.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ASAPRockySituation posted:

What’s up with the cat in the second reich helmet and why does that trigger my nazidar so hard

Right? Very much nazi furry vibes to that video.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
WW1 definitely seems to be a heavy focus of lots of young history nerds, so I wouldn't necessarily say it means pol Nazi.... but it would definitely be a point of data that made me worry for them and want to peek around their poo poo more to see the leanings.

When that kind of history nerdism really detaches from the human side of the history, and starts hyperfocusing on the military aesthetic and "coolness" of wars.... that's a canary starting to cough.

Grape fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 23, 2022

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ASAPRockySituation posted:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Right? Very much nazi furry vibes to that video.

Absolutely a furry, also absolutely on the American left.

I mean far enough on the American left to not also be a nazi.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I can confirm Denmark, Germany and IIRC Poland as completely correct.

Finland isn't. I wonder what kind of pinecone they asked.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pasco posted:

Absolutely a furry

Claims not to be a furry, but has strong opinions on Thundercats Roar.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
In German can’t you also say “Es ist mir Scheißegal” ? meaning it is to me poo poo-equal

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

In German can’t you also say “Es ist mir Scheißegal” ? meaning it is to me poo poo-equal

Egal is not equal, more like „I don’t care (about it)“.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Finland isn't. I wonder what kind of pinecone they asked.

I thought "Kiinnostaa kuin kilo paskaa" is pretty common but it could certainly be a regional thing.

Anyway, something like "Ei kiinnosta paskaakaan / paskan vertaa" or "Kiinnostaa ihan vitusti" must be a lot more common regardless, but the map looks like it was going for the quirkier phrases.

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 24, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zat posted:

I thought "Kiinnostaa kuin kilo paskaa" is pretty common but it could certainly be a regional thing.

I can't imagine anyone except a character in a badly scripted movie or TV show actually saying that. Who the hell takes the time to say all those words when they can say, for instance, "yks vitun maku" or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder how many other languages also have a such firmly set "nice" and "rude" idiom pair that he map can't represent.

Can confirm at least for PT-BR. They went for a middle of the road rudeness, where you can say something like "I'm barely loving myself" ("Estou pouco me fodendo") for a very rude version, and "I'm not even there" (lit. of "Estou nem aí") for one of the least rude versions, but still informal.