Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

USA - as good as the poor parts of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Map showing Turkish expats’ vote percentages in overseas countries during the Turkish referendum on 16/4/17.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ekuNNN posted:

Map showing Turkish expats’ vote percentages in overseas countries during the Turkish referendum on 16/4/17.

im the japanese turks

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

USA - as good as the poor parts of Europe.

Spain and Italy- world champions of good politics, not at all winners of a genetic and dietary lottery

Also, kelvin is already the best measure of temperature for scientific purposes. Given that, fahrenheit is unique among non-metric measures as being the most useful daily scale. Consider 0f vs 100f to 0c vs 100c. Fahrenheit is far more descriptive and useful than celsius in terms of daily weather estimates.

"Twenties" c is somewhere between sixties and 80s fahrenheit, or in other words, celsius has a range of "warm" where fahrenheit gives you an idea of what sort of clothes to wear.

I've lived under both systems and studied biology so believe me I know temperature scales and for 99% of uses fahrenheit is better.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 25, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Rankine > Celsius

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

. Given that, fahrenheit is unique among non-metric measures as being the most useful daily scale. Consider 0f vs 100f to 0c vs 100c. Fahrenheit is far more descriptive and useful than celsius in terms of daily weather estimates.

as a brit (where we we use both) this is so loving wrong. farhenheit can suck a dick and i'm normally fine with imperial. the only reason you think that is because, like the rest of the brainwashed american race, you grew up with it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Whorelord posted:

as a brit (where we we use both) this is so loving wrong. farhenheit can suck a dick and i'm normally fine with imperial. the only reason you think that is because, like the rest of the brainwashed american race, you grew up with it.

im not american but ty

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Spain and Italy- world champions of good politics, not at all winners of a genetic and dietary lottery

Yeah it's definitely because of some kind of luck of the draw that these people live so long. But Americans would deserve it, with their big cars, well planned cities and 65 hour work weeks

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
drat americans!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, kelvin is already the best measure of temperature for scientific purposes. Given that, fahrenheit is unique among non-metric measures as being the most useful daily scale. Consider 0f vs 100f to 0c vs 100c. Fahrenheit is far more descriptive and useful than celsius in terms of daily weather estimates.

"Twenties" c is somewhere between sixties and 80s fahrenheit, or in other words, celsius has a range of "warm" where fahrenheit gives you an idea of what sort of clothes to wear.

I've lived under both systems and studied biology so believe me I know temperature scales and for 99% of uses fahrenheit is better.

Fahrenheit is dumb and bad and celsius is just fine for daily use because it's literally just the same thing but using different numbers and when you grow up with it there's literally no difference between "low 20s" and "low 70s" they're the same loving thing except one isn't insanely stupid in every other conceivable way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

vyelkin posted:

Fahrenheit is dumb and bad and celsius is just fine for daily use because it's literally just the same thing but using different numbers and when you grow up with it there's literally no difference between "low 20s" and "low 70s" they're the same loving thing except one isn't insanely stupid in every other conceivable way.

0-100 f describes pretty much "balls cold" to "balls hot"

0-100 c describes "chilly" to "literal global extinction".

It's not a worthwhile difference most of the time but sorry fahrenheit is better.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Are you saying symbols aren't arbitrary. heathen

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Oh, but you may have to estimate ballpark temperature in 5 degree ranges rather than 10 degree ones. With typical American math schooling, that's practically impossible!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not a worthwhile difference most of the time but sorry fahrenheit is better.
Whether the weather is freezing or not is actually a pretty useful thing to be able to tell, even going by your assumption that the weather is the only thing that matters in terms of every day use.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yeah that's why you use minuses values you div

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Whether the weather is freezing or not is actually a pretty useful thing to be able to tell, even going by your assumption that the weather is the only thing that matters in terms of every day use.

Yeah that seems like a very weird thing to neglect. Plus temperatures below 0f are common in a lot of places and temperatures above 100f are common in some places so uhh great, your scale is supposedly perfect for.... England? but not the only country where it's used

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

+50: balls hot
-50: balls cold

Oh no how hard was that

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Quickly seeing how close water is to boiling is very important for any tea connoisseur. :11tea:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Have you experienced freezing? Cuz between humidity and wind chill poo poo will be melting at "freezing" temps or freezing at "melting" ones.

I'm canadian. The jobs I have experience with are cooking and biotech. In biotech we use kelvin and in cooking we either punch numbers into a machine or use a scale of "cold" to "hot"

How is fahrenheit insanely stupid?

Again it's not a huge enough difference to be meaningful but if you wanted an objective choice, either K or K and F.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you call 0F balls cold then you deserve everything brought onto you, the scale notwithstanding.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

This map has a strong correlation with countries that have been to the moon 🤔

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Bobby Digital posted:

i'm guessing the people that built the rocket used metric tho

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have a new temperature scale that only measures the hotness of takes in pedantic discussions.

Thanks for the calibration data.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What

I immediately know what 30 or 20 Celsius means. Just because Fahrenheit fits more degrees into the same range doesn't make it more convenient, unless you need your weather reports to be precise beyond reason. And 68 or whatever degrees F is just as arbitrary a baseline (room temperature) as 20 degrees Celsius.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

What

I immediately know what 30 or 20 Celsius means. Just because Fahrenheit fits more degrees into the same range doesn't make it more convenient, unless you need your weather reports to be precise beyond reason. And 68 or whatever degrees F is just as arbitrary a baseline (room temperature) as 20 degrees Celsius.

No see it's insanely important to know the difference between 70 and 71 degrees fahrenheit, that's a useful thing that comes into play every day of my life. 20 to 21 degrees celsius? Woah that's too big a leap for me, we need some number in between those two.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Cool let me now pull my physics degree out of my pants and exactly rewrite your post, just the opposite way. 60-whatever Fahrenheit is who the gently caress knows what, wheareas any number of celsius above 12 is flip flops + shorts + t-shirt.

*glance at the thermometer* Oh no, it's 63 not 62 of the Most Patriotic Degrees, I must readjust the PG/VG ratio in my vape juice before venturing outside.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Due to the inferior Celsius system I leave the house dressed in a random selection of clothes every day.

35°, what the gently caress does it mean, better put on my mittens to be sure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Step up global warming so we can measure weather temperature in gas mark.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Bobby Digital posted:

The notorious space program of Belize.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Whorelord posted:

i'm guessing the people that built the rocket used metric tho

You really don't know poo poo about 'murica in the 60's, then.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

vyelkin posted:

No see it's insanely important to know the difference between 70 and 71 degrees fahrenheit, that's a useful thing that comes into play every day of my life. 20 to 21 degrees celsius? Woah that's too big a leap for me, we need some number in between those two.

70 and 71 is a big difference in terms of my apartment thermostat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby Digital posted:

Maybe those countries should've stayed there :colbert:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You would probably already be on Mars, if you used a sensible system of measurement, instead of that Mickey Mouse bullshit.

e: also, map --->

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 25, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
We hosed up a Mars probe in 1999 by writing software that expected pounds when the rest of the software used newtons. I think our homegrown Renault FT-17 also had issues cause we got the French plans in metric.

So no, we'd just be loving up any number of other measurements and killing people.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You may have "lived under" both but you clearly didn't understand it hence you dressing yourself wrong (which is an amusing image). I mean it's the same as not describing a long car journey in metres, it's not required.

When I see that the temperature on the weather forecast is 18c I have never once thought to myself "do you think that is 18.3 or 18.7"? It's really obvious what that temperature is.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
British people have no room to talk because they use stupid poo poo like stone all the time and they had the dumbest non decimal currency till 1971.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Can we go back to his ridiculous claim that people live longer in Spain and Italy due to "luck"? Clearly America has nothing to learn from these drat lucky nations. Its certainly nothing to do with healthy diets, socialized healthcare, or reasonable work life balances no siree.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yall are hella overreacting.

And yeah 20-30 and 60-70 are both vague but obvious and for different reasons but lol, if there's a wind chill or you own thermostat then yes the fahrenheit is slightly better

Idk how else to say it, both are fine but fahrenheit is genuinely better for daily weather monitoring, by a small but noticeable margin.

Blut posted:

Can we go back to his ridiculous claim that people live longer in Spain and Italy due to "luck"? Clearly America has nothing to learn from these drat lucky nations. Its certainly nothing to do with healthy diets, socialized healthcare, or reasonable work life balances no siree.

Yeah but compare them to Germany or the Netherlands or Sweden? No one including italians or spaniards thinks Italy or Spain are perfect models? But the still have higher life expectancies overall on the map?

diet and climate legit influence italians to live longer than norwegians, and given the geographic and population scales of the two maps combined with basic social studies, uh, a better conclusion would be that the worst parts of Europe and the worst parts of North America are similarly short-lived?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 25, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Blut posted:

I believe they won a dietary lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yall are hella overreacting.

And yeah 20-30 and 60-70 are both vague but obvious and for different reasons but lol, if there's a wind chill or you own thermostat then yes the fahrenheit is slightly better

Idk how else to say it, both are fine but fahrenheit is genuinely better for daily weather monitoring, by a small but noticeable margin.

Yeah but compare them to Germany or the Netherlands or Sweden? No one including italians or spaniards thinks those countries are perfect models? But the still have higher life expectancies overall on the map?

You can use fractions of a degree(for example: 23.7°C) and that's how you do it with lab equipment and anything else that requires this kind of accuracy. :ssh:

The imperial system is a lie and there are no advantages to it. You have been lied to your whole life.