Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, former colonial empires hold on to their last scraps of overseas territory so hard that gently caress it, why leave, free money and EU citizenship!

I do like it that as an EU citizen I can just go to South America without visa or anything and live and work in there as long as I want. A very small piece of South America, but cool nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cygni posted:

Most common location for a craigslist missed connection by state.

So, uh...American supermarkets must be pretty awesome places?

And apparently Arizonans travel to LA fitness clubs to find love...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Also wouldn't you be able to see the Earth curving up if you're in like, Panama for example?

Or you know, just look at a ship when it comes from the horizon.

It takes extra retardness to think that the world is flat when even in old times every lice-ridden clap-having scurvy-addled sailor could tell you that it's round.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GreenCard78 posted:

That's pretty much the point. Europeans didn't think about African ethnic and tribal considerations and drew things rather arbitrarily, thus dividing people by things they hadn't normally been divided by before (rivers) or grouping peoples together into a country who would not normally be grouped together.

The ethnolinguistic map isn't exactly the best ethnic map but it helps illustrate the idea. There is an estimated 2,000+ languages, not just dialects, in Africa. The languages are likely as diverse as the cultures and people.

E: The map doesn't say 2,000 itself, that figure is from a class.

Looking at that it seems to me that dividing things into states wouldn't have worked no matter what borders you made.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fojar38 posted:

I used to find the whole "X invades America" subgenre of historical fiction to be fascinating until I learned more about strategy and realized how unless the defenders have basically no army at all it's virtually impossible to invade the North American continent. I would much rather get involved in a land war in Asia than a land war in North America.

Eh, it's virtually impossible to invade any continental sized entity over the Atlantic or the Pacific. Normandy being exception due to ever-handy Airstrip One (and the fact that thanks to Soviet Union most of the army was occupied elsewhere).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also how it misses probably the majority of the world's Muslim population.

Probably? Indonesia alone has more Muslims then the Middle East.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wow, not too many places would be boss enough to have themselves burning to crisp in a flag.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hahaha at Delaware having the least number of national parks. No poo poo, it's loving tiny!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Aren't they missing a few?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Muscle Tracer posted:

This map always makes me want this other NYT map to be used to redistrict our states by population:

Let's live in N/S Cascadia, Blue Mexico, Cottonbelt, South Texas, New New England, Windy City, and Hawaii. Just imagine how good the exchange rate between $USD and LibertopiaBux will be!

Which (major) American cities are red? Because it looks to me like you would have some weird union of city-states and their surroundings VS red wasteland.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

univbee posted:

A delicious map posted on BoingBoing

Wow, what a lame road trip through the states that would make :ussr:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So uh, people do nothing but drink in Wisconsin and Illinois?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Meme Emulator posted:

Whoa, I've never heard of this one.

Bwahahaha

Los Angeles, California:

:) "So what do you call it when the rain falls while the sun is shining?"

:confused: "What? Nothing, I guess."

:) "Yeah, most don't."

New York, New York:

:geno: "Uhh, sunshower?"

:) "That's pretty clever!"

Buttfuck, Mississippi:

:rant: "WHY THAT'S THE DEVIL BEATING HIS WIFE THAT IS, OH LORD INDEED HE'S BEATING THA LIVING PISS OUT OF THE POOR WOMAN, MHM YES YES JUST SMACKING HER UNTIL SHE CAN'T STAND NO MORE!"

:stare:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wow, so the South really hasn't been dealt that good of a hand to start with, huh?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

"According to the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission, beer sales at Whiteclay's four liquor stores totalled 4.9 million cans in 2010 (~13,000 cans per day) for gross sales of $3 million."

Four liquor stores.

quote:

A significant part of Whiteclay's economy is based on alcohol sales to residents of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation

Yeah, you don't say :stare:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PrinceRandom posted:

A fun look at population density in the Arab League, and a comparison to the continental US in land area.

The Nile is freaking awesome. I wonder what Ancient Egyptians would say when they saw it now.

"Look, guys, the Pyramids are still standing!"

"gently caress the Pyramids! WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT?!" :catstare:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Sweden somehow ends up a single, solitary major city (landlocked, at that), a bunch of iron ore, wilderness and Finland? There's no way that could ever work, or for anyone to want it, friend or foe. It'd be untenable in the extreme.

PittTheElder posted:

It makes about as much sense as "The Three Sicilies" and Mega-Belgium (gods drat you Alt-History writers) or a breakaway Janissary state, who somehow control Constantinople but not any of Anatolia.

You all need to read it. It's a pretty good. I'm not saying that it isn't outlandish but it's immensely entertaining. Though I grant that some parts are meticulously researched while others...like most of the above...aren't, but the timeline is so goddamn long that the details seem completely passable while you are reading them.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

icantfindaname posted:

They basically took a map of what religion was in the majority in each county or whatever, drew a line between muslim and hindu and declared that the muslim counties were now their own country.

Also, East Pakistan / Bangladesh actually turned out to have quite a few Hindus living in it, and during their war for independence the West Pakistani army decided to kill a few million of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Bangladesh_genocide

Also West Pakistan basically instituted an anti-Bengali apartheid policy since although it isn't apparent from the map, Bangladesh has roughly the same population as Pakistan and a Bengali party actually won a majority in elections. West Pakistan just said "Ehh, nope". Really, not many people know how awful it was to be the East Pakistan of Pakistan...thanks British!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I am genuinely shocked the #1 in Alaska isn't a Subaru.

It's the state animal, isn't it?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VirtualStranger posted:

Most people I talk to seem to be under the impression that Ireland and Scotland are both the same thing. Rolling green hills filled with bearded red-headed men in kilts playing bagpipes.

And once in a while some catholic dude blows them up.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

Are you posting from ancient Greece?

He could be from Singapore!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PrinceRandom posted:

What is it about Java that makes it the most populated of the Indonesian Islands? Is it less mountainous or less jungled?

Rice + one of the most fertile soils in the world due to volcanic activity. It was also always the center of the region which also drew more people to it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Surely there will be no problem in some of the most largest and important port cities in the whole world suddenly becoming landlocked!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Killer robot posted:

For an extra bonus, combine it with draining the North Sea:

...so, just floating the idea of something like this would pretty much be taken as a casus belli for a first nuclear strike in Britain, right?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Family Values posted:

The xenophobes and racists are actually a (very) noisy minority.

And as far as I've understood (I'm not American) largely regionally concentrated in the South and Great Plains? I mean those areas are more rural and more rural usually means more bigoted - speaking as someone who has lived most of their life in a rural area.

Although the History of Southern United States is basically taught as the History of Hating Black People to a Bizarre Extreme in here so that might admittedly color my viewpoint.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Riso posted:

As long as nobody dies, it's "only" ethnic cleansing.

Well to be fair, when it's ethnic cleansing some people can die. I think you can start calling it genocide when you hit the percentage points!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shbobdb posted:

Not that America doesn't also have the latter, but the nasty racist skinhead/neo-nazi culture seems to have greater penetrance in Europe.

Well, it was born here.

Also, were Europeans. White vs black/brown is kid stuff. Back here we've gotten used to brutally eradicating people who look like us, speak the same language and are probably related to us, just for the reason that they happen to have a different way of worshiping the exact same deity. Or you know we might actually be countrymen for thousands of years right down to the oddly specific branch of another branch of an religion but some of the countrymen happen to adopt a slightly different political philosophy and there we go again.

I mean we could just stick with hating people based on their melanin count like you guys but it's just so easy. I don't think what Europe has been doing can really be called "racism" anymore as it's just some weird general unfocused hatred that shifts main targets every 20 years or so. Some constants remain (the Roma for example are just hated by pretty much everyone) but say a hundred years ago if you put a Frenchman in the same room with a Brit, a German and a Jew, held a gun to his head and told him that he has to slit the throat of one of the others, his only complaint would be that he wouldn't be allowed to do them all.

I know people tend to be all "Europe is oh so civilized compared to America" but really, compared to us you're a bright bastion of racial harmony and tolerance. We're just focused our particular bigotries to such weird, specific degrees and change them every half a century that it's harder to pick up. U.S. is basically a drunken teenager drawing swastikas in the subway. Europe is fifty identical clones of Arthur de Gobineau who all hate each other.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 5, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shbobdb posted:

The whole anti-Roma thing is so . . . strange.

They stand out. In Europe that means that they didn't even have a chance. Doomed from the start.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

JosefStalinator posted:

Before Weimar, a lot of princes, dukes, and sub-kings existed in Germany:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Deutsches_Reich1.svg

Bavaria had a pretty popular King and was the most culturally distinct German state, so it splitting off even after World War 2 (when they negotiated a separate agreement regarding the future of West Germany) is entirely a possibility. If Bavaria were to break off, some of the others might as well, like maybe Saxony, but I don't know enough about the rest to tell you if they had any feasible chance at separation.
Well, at least it was less of a clusterfuck then before.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/HRR_1789_EN.png

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Emanuel Collective posted:

Tangentially related, I always found this map fascinating and wish we had more up to date data.

Wow, U.S. has a lot more Catholics then I thought. I always thought that it was few million at best with lot of growth from new immigration, but drat. Largest religious denomination. That's actually pretty crazy how U.S. Catholics keep themselves quiet like that what with being nutty about religion standing as one of the first things someone thinks about United States.

EDIT: Five seconds after writing this post I remember that a shitload of Irish went to U.S. and had a shitload of kids. Duhh :downs:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DrBouvenstein posted:

Scandinavia loving loves metal. :black101:

Finland loves it more then Scandinavia. :smug:

Related, here's a politically loaded map:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baronjutter posted:

Czech republic is also one of the few countries in europe you can basically see from space without the need of any borders. It's surrounded on all sides by mountains/hills and almost looks like a huge crater in central europe.

Natural AND pretty borders...it's the dream :swoon:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SurgicalOntologist posted:

A bit late but yes, the 10%+ home language in southeast Massachusetts (and part of Rhode Island?) is definitely Portuguese.

Yes, I believe Brazistol County, Rhode Island is known for it's large Portuguese population! Lotta Portuguese there.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ofaloaf posted:

I keep hearing about how the World Wars just demolished a distinct German culture in the US, but the local evidence I've come across doesn't align with that.

Maybe a lot of stuff from German culture just became part of the American culture? It's the largest ancestry group in the U.S. I mean, Christmas tree, hot dogs, beer, hamburgers, organized gymnastics, beer, pretzels, and also beer. That's lot of important stuff that Germans have contributed to the United States.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Err, not sure what you're getting at, but if you think I'm mixing up Brazilian and Portuguese, the southeast Mass - Rhode Island area actually has a large number of Portuguese immigrants. There are some Brazilian communities closer to Boston, though.

(It was actually a bit confusing for me, since I grew up in an area with Brazilian immigrants, and of course people who didn't know better referred to them as Portuguese. Then I moved to Providence and at first I thought everyone was making the same mistake)

E: Or is Brazistol actually a local nickname for Bristol county? Never heard that before. I have heard the Fall River bridge called "the longest bridge in the world" since it goes from MA to Portugal.

It's a joke from a TV Show.

If you're too busy to watch it, basically a presumably German-American character tries to explain why he knows Portuguese despite being well, a German and...turns out he's one of the Boys from Brazil (a very different kind of German American, if you've read the book). That's where he claims to be from, even though obviously such a county doesn't exist (and he thinks RI's capital is Dallas).

Sorry, that was kind of dumb in retrospect. I just thought it was kind of funny that there are actually a decent amount of Portuguese speakers in Rhode Island. :v:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 14, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baronjutter posted:

My wife was utterly shocked that no one knows 24h time here an she has to convert everything to am/pm for anyone to understand. Her phone and computer show 24h and I still can't figure it out. I'll glance over to check the time, sit there doing math and then just give up and ask her. I have been educated stupid.

Don't feel bad, I still have to think really hard to understand an clock face. Nobody just ever taught it to me and there were always digital time displays around :shrug: So it goes both ways.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Reveilled posted:

Uh, Japan, everyone knows our island is a witch riding a pig, you can't just trample over our heritage like that!

:britain:

What's Northern Ireland then?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

What I really like about that map is that you can fit basically all of those points in Texas. :v:
America is huge. I've easily visited most provinces and major cities in my country, and yet some random Texan who has never left Texas has more travel miles under their belt.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GreenCard78 posted:

I was talking to a friend who the Midwest yesterday about the different areas of DC and the surrounding burbs. Got an email from him today with this in it:

http://mapurbane.com/washington-d-c-neighborhoods-revealed-beyond-politics/

Excuse me while I go purchase property south of the Anacostia.

E: There's also maps of some other cities, Toronto, LA, a few others.

Oh my god I love internet so much. I want to marry internet and make internet babies with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

From here, you can zoom in more there if you can't see too well.

What's uh, what's up in California? :stare: