Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Isn't this one technically incorrect, though? I thought that Great Britain was only the big island, and didn't include the fiddly bits like Mann and the Hebrides and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Just want to add that I like this map but it's way too liberal with what it includes in each region. If it's not contiguous, don't count it in the same region. That simple rule would eliminate all the ridiculousness (Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and... is that Boise?!?). Then the natural assumption is, hey, maybe Minneapolis, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Memphis are actually microregions (aka "regions") and not part of some far away megaregion. Also New Orleans, because Gulf Coast doesn't fit with the others.

E: Also on what planet is Hampton Roads part of a Northeast megaregion but not Albany?

Gulf Coast is actually pretty closely integrated, culturally. Up until the southern Texas part, it's all variations on a French Catholic inspired theme. That region is the part of the US that cares about Mardi Gras, with Mobile and New Orleans having the oldest and best known parades, respectively. Sure, there are some scattered celebrations north of there, but almost every decent sized city from Pensacola to Galveston either has its own Krewe or is very close to a city with multiple Krewes.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

Was it really? Wikipedia disagrees, and the name could mean "iron", and mean that he was a blacksmith or that he was named after a famous warrior who had "Iron" as a nickname.

Edit: Iron Ruler is pretty boss name, but I think that the best ruler name is The First Emperor.

You're confusing Temujin and Genghis Khan. Wikipedia states that Temujin means iron something-or-other, Genghis Khan means Universal (Or if based on the word zheng, as the alternate theory there states, True/Just) King.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Also, units. There's a difference between minutes and hours.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

From a utilitarian standpoint, it's because humans don't remember like computers. It's easier to go, "It was a beige SUV with one of those new plates on it, you know, the ones with a beach? and the number was something like HUNT3R or something," than to remember the actual exact plate number, no matter how clearly the plate is marked out. It's not just machines that read these.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

BBJoey posted:

I feel like you may not grasp how Gulf states operate their migrant worker programs.
They come and stay and live as long as the average Bahraini born, right? That's what the chart shows, so obviously, that's what happens, and not something horrible, cause that would be terrible.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The technology required to be able to pick your child's hair color would also enable you to pick their skin color I think. Looking forward to every moderately successful darker skinned person investing in their children's future by making them light skinned.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Alabama: Thank God for Mississippi New Jersey!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

What's wrong with "you all"?

Listen to yourself!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

I only count 2 coastal counties.

There's at least 5 in Alaska, but the boroughs and census areas in the south are hard to make out. Unless you're being pedantic with your use of county.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

How in the hell is it simultaneously wrong to encourage people to start families, yet morally imperative to discourage them? Just let them decide on their own.

It's entirely consistent to say Thing A is immoral, Anti-Thing A is moral. Guavanaut is just working from the postulate there are too many people.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Texas is adjacent to the South, but it really is its own unique flavor of hosed up.

If you were a traitor state, you're in the South. That's just how it is. Though Kentucky, West Virginia, and Maryland sometimes get lumped with us.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 18, 2015

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

I like how the Turkgeorussmenia empire is united with China west of Mongolia, but separate to the east.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

So China is the largest country with one time zone, that's something people might know. But what's the smallest country in multiple time zones? Gotta be an island nation, right?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

never trust an elf posted:

American English are very much a democrat voting bloc

Pretty sure by American English they meant WASPs.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

If .su was included somehow, how big would it be on that map?

About half the size of Ireland's .ie, if wikipedia's numbers are to be trusted.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

twoday posted:

The addition of colors is creating black and not white

But they are adding CMY, not RGB, so black is the correct outcome. Come on, they teach subtractive color theory in like 2nd grade, you're being needlessly pedantic and even worse wrong.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Florida got fat.

I think that came from eating Alabama.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

I think JosefStalinator was talking more about the arbitrary ranges for the 4 colors, like <64, 64-<75, 75-<81, >81, where the distance between markers isn't even consistent. I assume they have the same number of cities in each division, or something like that, but can't be arsed to count.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

computer parts posted:

It seems to only apply to island nations.

Though how "Core-peripheral" is different (e.g., Iceland) I don't know.

Reykjavik is, with its suburbs, like two thirds of the country. Most of the core-peripheral countries seem to be ones with primate cities.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Probably using metro areas instead, since that gives a more realistic size comparison between cities with different levels of annexation.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Whorelord posted:

i'm guessing the people that built the rocket used metric tho

You really don't know poo poo about 'murica in the 60's, then.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

cebrail posted:

When has anyone ever claimed that Mozart was German?

There's literally a wikipedia article about it since 2013.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah, don't make a mountain out of an anthill!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Since when? Duterte certainly doesn't like the US, but the country still rates the US higher than anyone else, including the US.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Duckbox posted:

I love that non-gun owning Wyoming is apparently the Greenland/Western Sahara of electoral politics.

Alternatively, everyone in Wyoming owns a gun.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My question is what is that spatula or fly swatter in the Appalachians and what does it signify?

It's a horse whip, goes with the jockey hat in Tennessee.

Why they're in Tennessee in stead of Kentucky, though...

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

boner confessor posted:

the whole map is fuzzy for geographic locales, check out the lighthouse nestled in the foothills of the appalachian mountains and magnificent chimney rock, located on oregon's pacific coastline

But they nailed Mardi Gras; centered on Mobile, as is only proper.

Well, actually, looks like Mobile Bay, which got filled in. Nevermind.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Chunk-e-friend is pretty clearly piggly-wiggly, and Obelisk Market looks familiar but I can't place it.

Minotar is apparently Giant, which I've never heard of.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 11, 2017

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Funfact: Lovecraft was literally afraid of the Antartic continent and used it as the setting for some of his stories.

And seafood, and women, and Jews, and people who weren't Anglo Saxon, and

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Saladman posted:

That's only a map of most of the paved roads in Iceland, and there are even some paved ones that are missing.

Without you saying that, the map showing most of the paved roads (instead of just major roads) wouldn't even have occurred to me. Iceland is an impressively small country.

e: Though I guess, paved means major there, then.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Maxwells Demon posted:

The Rockets really could only have moved to Vandenberg, CA or Cape Canaveral, FL and had a more appropriate name than the location of the NASA control center.

Well, and Rocket City.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's a dumb map:

Country labels were moved to get the same rankings on population and area, i.e. the label for the Xth most populous country is placed on the one that is the Xth largest. This puts Mexico in Algeria and India in Canada, but the USA, Brazil, Ireland and Yemen get to stay where they are.

And the Vatican, surely?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Grand Bassa's looks like some sort of error. Like cut and paste almost worked.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

This is what sharks are smooth as hell would have looked like if it wasn't at all funny.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Catboy Autonomist posted:

World map from around 1910 with colours indicating how well-surveyed/mapped specific areas were. Not sure what was going on in Uganda/southern Kenya, though.

Any idea why it's centered on 40 degrees?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I assume it’s a joke about the bad styling.

Read what they posted one more time.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I always laugh when people assume "Canada" is a lily white country.

Y'all are, though? I mean, a 14% non-white population is less than England. Y'all are whiter than Minnesota.

Whoops, yeah.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 10, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

What's the spike up through Africa, about 30E? The Nile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

in america i hear they eat their own doo doo and drink their own pee pee

Bear Grylls is British