Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's not politically-motivated per se, but it's certainly got its own bias to it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Thank goodness this map makes it clear:

Oh. Hmm...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lawman 0 posted:

Good thing the greeks and the turks kicked each other out of their countries so they can't claim each others turf anymore. :v:
Right? :eng99:

Right. :sigh:

Meanwhile, on the other side of Turkey...

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 1, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fister Roboto posted:

Always my favorite map/political cartoon:

I just love everyone ganging up on Austria-Hungary to steal his boots.

I'm not sure if that's the best part, or the obvious "MUSLIMSSSSS" down in Morocco.

Even the Japanese were all up on the "Let's make World War I countries into caricatures" thing:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Reveilled posted:

Here's the partition plan Yves Guyot floated for the event of a French total victory in WWI:

It's unlear if it's deliberate or not but it appears to suggest giving the entirety of the Brest-Litovsk area to Poland.

I like how France just unceremoniously claims all of Belgium. (Even though its neutrality is what brought Britain into the war).

Meanwhile, Germany's plans for Poland during World War II:

All Germans would move to Germany. Of course.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Farecoal posted:

I don't get it :saddowns:

54° 40' or fight!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My favorite part of this map is Hebrew Land.

Of course, there's a different (ethnicity) Land that is at least somewhat relevant even today.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Red_Mage posted:

I can when it apparently doesn't include NorCal and the Inside Passage. 60th parallel or strongly worded letter!

I'm surprised you'd accept Idaho. This might be a better setup.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nolanar posted:

From the looks of things, I guess regions without their own franchises generally default to "Steelers fans" or "Cowboys fans" depending on some arcane formula. I do like the voids where people presumably don't watch football (or don't answer surveys), and how certain fandoms stop dead right at the state line.

Mostly Cowboys fans.

EDIT: Whoops, that link was already in the original post.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Can you explain this one a little bit? Why did the Japanese mess up the U.S. and Central America so much while everything else is pretty much intact? I think it looks like it might be some sort of WWII era propaganda though.

They also call Canada "Faraway Land" and Argentina "Neue Karlsland"

EDIT: Good job talking about a creepy rear end anime.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 9, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Badger of Basra posted:

Big Thicket might be the worst fake state name I've ever heard.

The best part is that the state doesn't even contain the Big Thicket in its boundaries!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

LP97S posted:

Well it time to post the map that ends the thread.

Nice job with South Sudan, but it doesn't reflect Libya's new flag. Talk about politically-loaded.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 14, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Bringing us back full circle to the topic of politically loaded maps again, here's another map that says "Screw you Guyana. Love, Venezuela."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ecureuilmatrix posted:

...Algeria? Armenia? Ecuador? Laos? Liberia? Finland? Angola? Why Kazakhstan but not Uzbekistan? :psyduck: OH GOD SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Expeditionary forces from the Siberian Intervention maybe? There's a book, if you're interested.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dusseldorf posted:

I like the 'Japanese invasions of the west coast' fantasy on the backdrop of the fact that the Japanese didn't have nearly the logistical capability to invade Oahu alone.

Personally, I like the fact that practically every plan assumes that there will be a fifth column of "pro-Japanese"/"pro-German" support helping to lead the Japanese and Germans to victory.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

I like how New England's claim to fame is "most cancer." (Although, perhaps less surprisingly, Kentucky claims highest death rate therefrom)

Of course that's not the only "worst of" map which uses those exact same colors:

Funny that Kentucky's claim to fame is the same on both... (So is Wisconsin's and arguably California's, while Connecticut claims Rhode Island's claim and Minnesota (may) claim South Dakota's)

Also, if Kansas is the worst at poorest health, does that mean it actually has the best health? :psyduck:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ammat The Ankh posted:

How is Ohio the "Nerdiest State"?

Maybe it's the worst at being the nerdiest state, and is therefore the least nerdiest?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

prefect posted:

I tried figuring out what the grey bits in the bottom-left corner are, but I got more confused. (Thanks, ObamaWikipedia.) Is that part of Finland or not?

Sort of...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
A currently relevant politically-loaded map:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

Just saw this from my friend on Facebook:

This isn't a very good map. What are the metrics they use? As people have pointed out, it's not like Washington doesn't have seismic and volcanic activity on its own... Santa Fe and Farmington, NM are prone to drought and wildfires (more Santa Fe for the latter), and, for whatever reason, Milwaukee is moderate hazard while Sheboygan, one hour north, is low hazard?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fandyien posted:

So that one area on Egypt's southern border that nobody will claim because it's that useless has a population density of more then zero? That's sorta surprising.

Oh, it's not that it's useless. I suspect both Sudan and Egypt want Bir Tawil; it's just that they both want the Hala'ib Triangle more, so they'd rather stress that claim. Neither can actually claim Bir Tawil because claiming Bir Tawil would result in the other party claiming the Hala'ib Triangle ("Oh, if you accept your claim on Bir Tawil, then that means you accept OUR claim on the Hala'ib Triangle! Gotcha sucker!"), which is more valuable.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Squalid posted:

Someone remind me if Caucasian is an actual language family or just a dustbin collection of peoples who don't fit anywhere else

Northwest, Northeast Caucasian, and Kartvelian/South Caucasian are recognized families, with a number of linguists concluding that Northeast and Northwest Caucasian are related. Others unify even Kartvelian into a larger Caucasian family, but this "Ibero-Caucasian hypothesis" is not usually accepted, even by the lumper Greenberg (who used the questionable mass comparison technique to propose that all Native American languages other than Na-Dené and Eskimo-Aleut belonged to a single family: Amerind and grouped Indo-European, Altaic, and Uralic languages into a dubious Eurasiatic family)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

John Charity Spring posted:

I've taken a look through the thread but the sheer amount of posts is daunting, so I'll just ask. Does anyone have that gif map of international treaties and conventions, the point of which is showing how few the USA is a signatory of?

I saved it on imgur for just this reason (it's basically impossible to search Google for when you need it)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Peruser posted:

We signed almost all of those, we just can't ratify them because some people think we need the rights

Especially the right to execute children apparently

Oh and

Good job Ireland

Unless "well enforced" and "mostly enforced" are clearly defined, I'm not sure what the difference is and why Ireland is so special.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

tractor fanatic posted:

I wish there were more American irredentists longing for a 54°40 border.

Are there any who do so even remotely seriously?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PittTheElder posted:

On the other hand, he had no intention of acceding to India either, since the Indian Congress had made it very clear that the princes of the Raj were not going to be left to run their fiefdoms going forward.

It's worth noting that India also didn't tolerate the flip side and basically conquered a state that had the opposite problem (Muslim ruler, Hindu subjects) that tried to stay independent.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DarkCrawler posted:

Also West Pakistan basically instituted an anti-Bengali apartheid policy since although it isn't apparent from the map, Bangladesh has roughly the same population as Pakistan and a Bengali party actually won a majority in elections. West Pakistan just said "Ehh, nope". Really, not many people know how awful it was to be the East Pakistan of Pakistan...thanks British!

Pakistan pretty much always poo poo on the Bengals, right down to their name: Punjab, Afghan, Kashmir and baluchiSTAN. No one thought to include Bengal in there.

Of course the anti-Hindu thing hasn't exactly died out. Just earlier this year there were massive anti-Hindu riots when some of the people responsible for the aforementioned bloodshed were convicted and sentenced to death for war crimes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Soviet Commubot posted:

A map of US counties by NFL team allegiance (gathered from Facebook). I think this was done the last year the Steelers won the Superbowl, so that would explain the pockets of Steelers fans around the country. I'm really interested in why New Orleans is so popular so far east and what's up with the random things like that county in Florida where people are either Giants or Bears fans.

Probably Giants because [old people from New York]. What's also fun is how every county with a majority of fans supporting the Oakland Raiders is at least 150 miles from Oakland.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 8, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trench_Rat posted:

what is the deal wiht the one hindu island

Indonesia has historically been under India's sphere of cultural influence. Most of the areas currently Muslim were once Hindu, before Buddhism and then Islam arrived from India to supplant it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

rscott posted:

They grow that much coffee in the Baltics?

My favorite part of that map (that clearly indicates its bizarreness) is how the minimal coffee growth so carefully follows the Russia/Kazakhstan border.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's interesting because, again, something is up with Russia: an FAO document on Alfalfa mentions that "Currently, alfalfa production is mainly distributed in temperate regions such as the US, Canada, Italy, France, China and south Russia in the Northern Hemisphere, and Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand in the Southern Hemisphere.", but the map is empty in both China and Russia.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Squalid posted:

To stay on topic here are some religious maps

Anybody know what's up w/ that shinto-buddhist slice of cambodia? Weird.

Can't say. But the situation in China is a bit more complex; the Muslim Uighurs and Hui seem to not be depicted at all.

Squalid posted:

Europe on the verge of the 30 years war, or possibly right after, not sure.

Before. Hussites were the proximate cause of the war and effectively no longer existed by its end.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ah you are right. I was confusing the first defenestration of Prague with the second. Even so, Catholicism was reestablished in Bohemia after the Battle of White Mountain, so it's still pre-Thirty-Years-War.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 31, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

stereobreadsticks posted:

Your example is among the more grievous but drat there's all kinds of mistakes here. Sri Lankan, but not Indian, Tamils are tribal religionists? Taiwanese are Christian? No Christian presence in Korea? No Islam in Xinjiang? No mention of Judaism in Israel? Tibet and Mongolia as Mahayana instead of Vajrayana Buddhist? It's not just way off, it's way off in bizarre ways.

I personally like how the edge of "Christianity" in Russia slices into China, revealing a small concentration of Buddhists in Manchuria for no readily apparent reason.

EDIT: And Armenia is Muslim.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

AlexG posted:

Part of the plan is that it's no longer Lake Chad so much as it is replacing the entirety of Chad with a giant freshly-dug lake.

And then another one for/instead of the Congo basin.

So still nuts, just differently nuts.

At least link a map if you're going to make those claims:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

tractor fanatic posted:

Mercator still has the very useful property that it's conformal, and is the only rectangular projection that's both conformal and maps lines of latitude and longitude to horizontal and vertical lines.

Which is why Google Maps uses a Mercator variant and not another cylindrical projection. As long as you need conformality and maintenance of cardinal directions, you're pretty much stuck with Mercator.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 10, 2013

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fojar38 posted:

Why is North American internet usage so inconsistent?

Seems to me that the American usage drops as soon as the stock markets close.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Squalid posted:

This whole conversation just happened because you guys are confusing yourselves with vague terms. Race is a kind of ethnicity created to suite the context of assimilationist colonial society. It has an arbitrary relationship to a person's genealogy, as demonstrated by Sandra Laing. That both her parents were European had nothing to do with her race. Ethnicity is mostly defined by self-identification or social perception, and because the dead can't share a perception with the living, drawing lines between two peoples as far removed from one another as ancient and modern Egyptians is mostly about nationalistic pissing contests.

All that said while I haven't read anything about Egypt in particular I'd be very surprised to hear the Arab conquest had much impact on the Egyptian population. History often gives us the idea that waves of invaders periodically cleanse the land in big genocidal waves. But genetic studies tell us that that is almost never the case.

Genetic map of Europe. Axes represent genetic difference from north to south and east to west. Overlap between states represents greater genetic homogeneity. Note that Ireland and the UK are much more similar to one another than they are to Denmark or Norway or Germany. This is overlap is not due solely to the Welsh and Scots, the English are more similar genetically to the Irish than they are to other Germanic people. This is because the bulk of both nation's DNA comes not from invaders arriving within the last few millennia but from the first human settlers to the islands. Of course the Y chromosome has a different history in Britain, but that represents a small portion of total DNA.

Similarly, the Hungarians are very much a part of the European chromosomal block while the Finnish are not. This despite the fact that, linguistically, the Hungarian language is far closer to Finnish than any other European language (If it's even loosely related to European languages at all; Finno-Ugric languages have not been accepted as having any relation to Indo-European languages).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kainser posted:

Burma and USA are the only truly free nations in the world :911:

You forgot Liberia. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
What good is projecting to Goode Homolosine if it won't add the splits in the right places :colbert: