Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Can't you just choose the scraper to use when editing the content type setting on a show folder?

As for sickbeard, you can make it use xem by just editing one line in its tvdb data importer code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Structure your shows folders by scraper, I suppose:

code:
-->TV
---L--TVDB
---L--XEM
---L--[foo]
I had a similar problem with wanting a folder within a folder to be scraped seperately. Can't be done.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Craptacular! posted:

Structure your shows folders by scraper, I suppose:

code:

-->TV
---L--TVDB
---L--XEM
---L--[foo]

I had a similar problem with wanting a folder within a folder to be scraped seperately. Can't be done.

Haha, no. I'd rather go back to using NFO files at that point.

Thanks for the info, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Like I don't post enough in this thread, no I'm double posting. :downs:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Any tips for allowing remote access to media on an OpenElec HTPC? SFTP would work but that would be a security risk I imagine. The best option would be UPNP if possible, otherwise maybe opening up the SMB port might work? Just wondering if there's an easy solution built into XBMC/OpenElec so I don't have to reinvent the wheel/become a network security expert.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

jonathan posted:

For the cinema experience script I made a 14 minute demo awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COUXAcICpuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It could be added to the script info in the OP. Because pimping my own poo poo.

Cool and all, but how hard would it have been for you to put your camera on a desk, the floor, some books, a tripod, etc?

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Any tips for allowing remote access to media on an OpenElec HTPC? SFTP would work but that would be a security risk I imagine. The best option would be UPNP if possible, otherwise maybe opening up the SMB port might work? Just wondering if there's an easy solution built into XBMC/OpenElec so I don't have to reinvent the wheel/become a network security expert.

Someone wrote an article up on reddit awhile back on how to do this using webDAV if you care to find it.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

EC posted:

Here's the video posted in the previous thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8viUD5WPrCA

I think that this is the development thread for it if you want to follow along.
Thank you! This is amazing!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GateheaD posted:

Cool and all, but how hard would it have been for you to put your camera on a desk, the floor, some books, a tripod, etc?

Tough because it was a cell phone and I didn't have anything to place it on far enough away from my screen.

I have an HD cam somewhere I could redo the video next time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Your video card is not new enough to do GPU decoding and your CPU is probably not powerful enough to to 1080P in software with out dropping frames in high motion scenes.

If you are curious and want to try it with out any risk to your current OS install, you can download the LIVE CD to try it out.

So I figured out that my motherboard was actually PCI-e, so I switched out the cheap but new-er-ish card (Geforce gt 620) from the new computer I just bought (don't really need it for the stuff I use that computer for) which conveniently already has HDMI out and it runs 1080p fine.

With that figured out, I was about to do a fresh Windows install just to make everything a bit snappier.

However, now i'm reading about OpenELEC, which seems like it would be great for an old system (Pentium D) that is only being used for XBMC. Can I run OpenELEC just from a USB thumb drive? As in, I can completely disconnect the noisy and old HDD inside the box? All the actual video files would be streaming off the new computer over the network. Does it work like that?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Elysium posted:

However, now i'm reading about OpenELEC, which seems like it would be great for an old system (Pentium D) that is only being used for XBMC. Can I run OpenELEC just from a USB thumb drive? As in, I can completely disconnect the noisy and old HDD inside the box? All the actual video files would be streaming off the new computer over the network. Does it work like that?

That is exactly how it works. :)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The best thing is its free so there is literally no reason not to try it. I assume just about everyone has an sd card/usb thumb drive lying around.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Here's a fun one:

I deleted all my movies.

I have recovered them (anything under 4GB), but I have lost all folder structure and metadata - I previously sorted everything out automatically with Couch Potato v2, but Since it hasn't picked up all the movies are gone it's not auto renaming everything if I put it in the download folder.
Whats the best way to get them back into The correct folder, with the correct Meta Data and Correct SubFolders that doesn't involve me being prompted for every single movie (Such as typing them all back into Couch Potato v2 after a database clear.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

GateheaD posted:

Here's a fun one:

I deleted all my movies.

I have recovered them (anything under 4GB), but I have lost all folder structure and metadata - I previously sorted everything out automatically with Couch Potato v2, but Since it hasn't picked up all the movies are gone it's not auto renaming everything if I put it in the download folder.
Whats the best way to get them back into The correct folder, with the correct Meta Data and Correct SubFolders that doesn't involve me being prompted for every single movie (Such as typing them all back into Couch Potato v2 after a database clear.

Look through the supplemental software subforum for a media manager. There's apparently a new version of Ember, which will probably do what you want, but there's a bunch of them in there.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

EC posted:

That is exactly how it works. :)

I managed to install openelec. At first I was getting no video but I somehow managed to fix that through changing some bios settings and several reboots. Then windows file sharing was being very stubborn, but i got things streaming off my computer downstairs.

Now all that is left is the fact that I have no sound.

I'm running through an hdmi cable. This works fine under windows, so I know the cable, the TV, the video card, and the file are all good to go.

I see other people having similar problems but the solutions seem to be Linux stuff I don't understand and they don't explain. Help?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Found it: Thanks

GateheaD fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 6, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Elysium posted:

I managed to install openelec. At first I was getting no video but I somehow managed to fix that through changing some bios settings and several reboots. Then windows file sharing was being very stubborn, but i got things streaming off my computer downstairs.

Now all that is left is the fact that I have no sound.

I'm running through an hdmi cable. This works fine under windows, so I know the cable, the TV, the video card, and the file are all good to go.

I see other people having similar problems but the solutions seem to be Linux stuff I don't understand and they don't explain. Help?

Sounds like you just need to set up the audio settings correctly.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

kri kri posted:

Sounds like you just need to set up the audio settings correctly.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine

Right, so before I saw this I manage to change a few settings, and now I get audio for the menu noises, but not during the movie?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Elysium posted:

Right, so before I saw this I manage to change a few settings, and now I get audio for the menu noises, but not during the movie?

You're going to want to search the Openelec forums for your video card and find out what you need to edit to get HDMI Audio working.
For my G210 I had to edit a text file to manually tell it the hardware address for my video card for Audio operations.

It was quite simple, but I've used linux before so I wasn't intimidated.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

GateheaD posted:

You're going to want to search the Openelec forums for your video card and find out what you need to edit to get HDMI Audio working.

Thanks, found a guy with my video card that had some settings that worked (had to change from HDMI to analogue for whatever reason). Simple enough. This might not work if I get a better sound system but it works for now so good enough.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

YouTuber posted:

Is there a way to have XBMC use the Analog out on my RaspPi when playing music, but use the HDMI for Video? I'd like to be able to turn my TV off when playing music through the stereo. As it stands now I have to keep the TV on for sound to pass on the RCA out jacks to the stereo.

Hopefully I can help point you in the right direction at least..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86038

I have been using this on Windows with Eden for ages and it works perfectly - outputs HDMI to my receiver in DTS etc, and analogue to a stereo amp so that I can listen to music while playing on the PS3. There is a slight timing diffence between the two sources but I don't have any need to use them together so doesn't affect me.

However, it looks like you would need to build yourself for linux on the RPi, and it does not yet support Frodo, although people are beginning to discuss it at least so maybe that will come along sooner rather than later. Hopefully, because this is a showstopper for me..

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

hell yeah

garbear posted:

A little update for everyone. Emulators (on windows and linux) can now be installed from within XBMC using the new libretro add-on repository that I set up. EDIT: my github branch "retroplayer" is required.

Simply go to Get Add-ons > Emulators. The repository is automatically enabled in the current retroplayer source tree, if you compiled xbmc earlier you can add the file from a0a4b42 or install this repository add-on: https://github.com/garbear/repository.libretro/raw/master/release/repository.libretro/repository.libretro-1.0.0.zip

Themaister was able to get real-time rewinding working, which is awesome.

I'm in the act of evaluating a change in the rendering process from the one used for DVDs to the one used for textures. This is because RenderManager deals with YUV instead of RGB, and is geared toward the complexities of video timings and colorspaces. libretro runs at a constant framerate and returns simple RGB data, which is possibly more suited to rendering a texture control and doing a little double-buffering.

Finally, after this work gets merged (or before, if I feel like it) I'll rebase on FRODO so that skins and add-ons, like RCB, can be tested with RetroPlayer.

Looks like there's a nice batch of systems supported right from the start thanks to the libretro project.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

hell yeah

Looks like there's a nice batch of systems supported right from the start thanks to the libretro project.

So do these play completely inside XBMC?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I'm trying to make The Ultimate Badass Living Room PC for both gaming and XBMC. Is there a good option for getting XBMC and Steam Big Picture Mode integrated? It would be awesome if I could go back and forth with just the remote and game controller, without needing a mouse and keyboard for switching between the two.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

plester1 posted:

I'm trying to make The Ultimate Badass Living Room PC for both gaming and XBMC. Is there a good option for getting XBMC and Steam Big Picture Mode integrated? It would be awesome if I could go back and forth with just the remote and game controller, without needing a mouse and keyboard for switching between the two.

If you have a harmony remote you can use this tutorial and adapt it to whatever applications you want to use.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86738

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

hell yeah

If I didn't already have weekend plans, I know what I would be doing. Will definitely be trying this out soon.

Don Lapre posted:

If you have a harmony remote you can use this tutorial and adapt it to whatever applications you want to use.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86738

Will be adding this to the OP soon, thanks for the link.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

To use the emulator poo poo we need a windows compiled xbmc with support. Hopefully someone posts one soon.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well now I really need to upgrade my HTPC's SSD from it's measly 32 gig to something more substanial. Although, I wonder how sharing ROMs and ISOs over the network will work. Last I looked, wireless N was faster than a CD drive read speed for at least the PSX era.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

kyojin posted:

Hopefully I can help point you in the right direction at least..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86038

I have been using this on Windows with Eden for ages and it works perfectly - outputs HDMI to my receiver in DTS etc, and analogue to a stereo amp so that I can listen to music while playing on the PS3. There is a slight timing diffence between the two sources but I don't have any need to use them together so doesn't affect me.

However, it looks like you would need to build yourself for linux on the RPi, and it does not yet support Frodo, although people are beginning to discuss it at least so maybe that will come along sooner rather than later. Hopefully, because this is a showstopper for me..

That's exactly what I'm looking for, I'll check it out tomorrow when I have a few hours to fiddle with things. I'm running Frodo so that's another hurdle I'll have to do also but that thread is already discussing the options at hand. Totally appreciate it, I 've been looking and googling without any luck.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Is it normal for it to take forever to scan music? I tried it twice and it took hours to get most of the way and then stopped/froze both times on the same file (Radiohead - OK Computer).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Try going directly to that album and pressing INFO (I) and scraping it that way. If it freezes again, check the debug log to see what's going on.

Depending on how big your library is, it could take a while to scan.

synapseattack
Aug 29, 2008

I don't think SMB would work even if you did forward the ports. I highly highly recommend webdav.

Esk1 posted:

Someone wrote an article up on reddit awhile back on how to do this using webDAV if you care to find it.

Do you mean this one? http://www.reddit.com/r/xbmc/comments/16bc5z/best_way_to_implement_an_xbmc_serverclient/c7um7v8?context=3
I wrote it up and I use WebDav for my media access and mysql for the DB which is accessible from outside my network. I find this to be a very good way to implement external access.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Don Lapre posted:

So do these play completely inside XBMC?

Essentially yes. You get all the controls etc that you would get in XBMC (volume, pause, stop, rewind, etc) but for all these emulators.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

synapseattack posted:

I don't think SMB would work even if you did forward the ports. I highly highly recommend webdav.

Do you mean this one? http://www.reddit.com/r/xbmc/comments/16bc5z/best_way_to_implement_an_xbmc_serverclient/c7um7v8?context=3
I wrote it up and I use WebDav for my media access and mysql for the DB which is accessible from outside my network. I find this to be a very good way to implement external access.

A couple questions:
1. Is mySQL necessary here? What does it get you? If it's just for keeping track of what's been watched I don't really care.

2. What OS are you running? Your writeup skipped the part I need help with: setting up WebDAV (or some other service) in OpenElec. At this point I'm leaning toward getting an RPi for a dedicated VPN server so I can use UPnP as if I was on the local network.

synapseattack
Aug 29, 2008

A couple questions:
1. Is mySQL necessary here? What does it get you? If it's just for keeping track of what's been watched I don't really care.

2. What OS are you running? Your writeup skipped the part I need help with: setting up WebDAV (or some other service) in OpenElec. At this point I'm leaning toward getting an RPi for a dedicated VPN server so I can use UPnP as if I was on the local network.

1. Nope... skip it. It's for library management across multiple systems to keep watched items in sync.

2. I start off with a minimal install of Ubuntu Server so it's custom configured this is because I run the media server separate from the XBMC clients. RPi with VPN would be a cheaper alternative to building a NAS or Server so yea I can see that benefit.

Any idea what kinda speeds you are going to see with a RPi doing the VPN?

My client, by the by, include a jailbroken iPad and iPhone & 2 AppleTV all with XBMC, a media center PC with a mythtv backend and XBMC front end, and a XBMC client at the office for those slow days.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

synapseattack posted:

RPi with VPN would be a cheaper alternative to building a NAS or Server so yea I can see that benefit.

Any idea what kinda speeds you are going to see with a RPi doing the VPN?

Well if it's possible to run a WebDAV server from OpenElec (seems unlikely or at least too difficult for me to figure out without a step-by-step guide), that would be the best solution.

As for speed, I have no idea. I'm just hoping it's fast enough to stream -V0 mp3 and that I'll able to download/buffer video.

synapseattack
Aug 29, 2008

Well if it's possible to run a WebDAV server from OpenElec (seems unlikely or at least too difficult for me to figure out without a step-by-step guide), that would be the best solution.

As for speed, I have no idea. I'm just hoping it's fast enough to stream -V0 mp3 and that I'll able to download/buffer video.

Yea I won't be any help trying to figure out adding webdav to OpenElec, sorry. I've never even installed it. It's a linux base but I have no idea if there is any kind of package manager or anything to make adding things easy. Good luck with the VPN server on the RPi. Post back and let me know how it performs. I really like that idea.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

is Openelec your file server? Otherwise you would run WebDAV on your file server.
Millions of guides of WebDAV on linux out there

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
My XBMC dims my Philips hue lights when a movie starts and raises brightness when it's done. Ballin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My XBMC dims my Philips hue lights when a movie starts and raises brightness when it's done. Ballin'

I have mine set to a MiCasaVerde Vera and have scenes for specific actions.

Start Movie: All living room lights dim. Ambilight turns on. Fish tank lights turn off. Blinds close.
Pause Movie: Dining room light to 50% and bathroom light to 100%.
Stop Movie: Living room to 50% dining room and bathroom to 100%
Phone rings: Movie pauses, Living room light to 25%
Doorbell rings: Movie pauses, input siwtches to door cam, all lights to 50%, unlock door by pressing the blue button.

Home automation and XBMC is loving awesome.