Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

FeastForCows posted:

I have a weird issue with Kodi. My Sony TV connects to my NAS to get the content for Kodi, separated into two folders for TV shows and movies. When I turn it on and start the app, I can't watch anything immediately, it will tell me that it can't connect to the network. I first have to go into the library and go specifically to the movie folder there, then I can go back and watch both movies and TV shows (if I start a TV show before doing this and just go back from the loading screen to do these steps, it will even start the show I clicked after I went to the Movies folder in the Library).

It's almost like it can't establish a connection until I go into the library and open the Movies folder there. The funny thing is that this only works if I open the Movies folder and then go back. Doing it with the TV shows folder first doesn't help.

Any ideas what the gently caress is happening here?

Edit: I also have it connected to my HTPC in the living room and everything works perfectly from there. The HTPC and the Sony TV are connected to the same WiFi.

What kind of drives do you have on your NAS? I once had a consumer USB drive hanging off a windows box that would sleep after so many hours of non use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Bonzo posted:

What kind of drives do you have on your NAS? I once had a consumer USB drive hanging off a windows box that would sleep after so many hours of non use.

Red WD's. When connecting from the HTPC (also via WiFi) it works immediately, so I can probably exclude that.

If I remember correctly, I didn't have that issue until I upgraded to Leia.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
So, Kodi 19 (Matrix) was released last week:

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-190-matrix-release

Probably going to hold off on upgrading for a while but it sounds like a solid update.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I usually test Kodi in a sandbox on major updates but forgot that my Android TV would update it automatically, and it upgraded my databases (that my other Kodi installs use) and I have problems with samba networking on all platforms. Others complaining about the plugin system changing and a lot of their favs not working.

None of this is unusual, it's a complex app on multiple systems with a big userbase. For now I've just reverted to my database backups and manually installed the 18.9 apk on my TV. I'll wait for 19.1 and test carefully.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 25, 2021

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
After upgrading to 19, the ridiculous solution to readding my existing SMB shares was to put a space in the username and password box in Kodi

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Meanwhile, if anybody using the Emby plugin and gets forced into Kodi 19, you'll have to go into the Public Testing folder in the repo and install the latest non-alpha version of emby-next-gen.

Also if your favorite skin stops working (I was using Eminence), you can try browsing to the install directory for the skin and editing addons.xml and editing the version number from 5.14 to 5.15.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yeah I had a couple problems, the smb one I fixed by making a passwords.xml file.

Another is that the upgraded databases were broken. Turns out the software was too old, I had to tell mariadb to update my existing DBs before I launched 19 and upgraded them.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Meanwhile, if anybody using the Emby plugin and gets forced into Kodi 19, you'll have to go into the Public Testing folder in the repo and install the latest non-alpha version of emby-next-gen.

Also if your favorite skin stops working (I was using Eminence), you can try browsing to the install directory for the skin and editing addons.xml and editing the version number from 5.14 to 5.15.

I saw these exact same solutions too, so far so good. None of the broken dependencies for Eminence seem to really matter because emby-Next-Gen handles it.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I think some of you use headless kodi, as I do, to keep the database updated for multiple client installs. Despite the external database paradigm being neglected generally I still prefer it to using Emby or similar database management tools, as when it works it's perfect.

Anyway, this contributor has patched one of the popular headless containers for v19 and I'm now using it with no troubles.
https://github.com/matthuisman/docker-kodi-headless
https://hub.docker.com/r/matthuisman/kodi-headless

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm pretty disappointed with how halfbaked the parental controls and profiles are.

For one, there are no real parental controls. You have to make another profile for your kid, and then import their own library. Sucks to be you if you're like me and have all your media in a directory, and not directories sorted by rating or something. (Who the gently caress would set up their library that way?)

If you do try to setup a kid's profile, there's still no parental controls. "Okay", I say to myself, "I'll just give her a blank library, and add the movies one by one. Just the G rated ones for now". Well go gently caress yourself, turns out profiles don't sync with the SQL database you may have setup. So a profile on my TV's Fire Stick aren't on my laptop. The hell if I'm going to try to add individual movies via the remote. I wanted to do it on the laptop where a keyboard would have been easier. But nope, profiles are per device only.

So there's no good way to separate or lock out the library for anything above a G or the TV equivalent?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Not that I've ever seen. I just created a Disney collection and a Kids Movies collection and sorted kids movies into those. Profiles would be much much better, but that worked for me well enough. TV shows though, good luck.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I guess smart playlists could be used for this maybe? Like create one filtered in rating and only have that as an option in the menu? But it still seems like a pain the rear end.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just let your kids watch whatever. They'll figure it out anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Getting around parental controls is a rite of passage.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I only wanted parental controls so I could put all the Disney stuff in her own profile. No need for her to see Dredd in her list of she isn't gonna watch it (she's only 5 months old).

She could have disabled the parental settings, had I set them up, when she was old enough to Google the Konami code.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Anyone try Jellyfin? Any trip reports?

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-kodi

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What does it provide over a SQL and poster / fanart / nfo files solution?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

IUG posted:

What does it provide over a SQL and poster / fanart / nfo files solution?

jellyfin is for more Emby/Plex.

Remote access, easier library management on multiple platforms, those kinds of things.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Photex posted:

jellyfin is for more Emby/Plex.

Remote access, easier library management on multiple platforms, those kinds of things.

Yeah, it's literally a community fork of Emby, from when that went less FOSS

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
It's coming about time to reinstall my libreelec with the next release (they're up to beta ... what, 3 now?). I don't currently use SQL for kodi so I'd have to start over fresh with a media scrape (and all my media will show as unwatched etc). I though I might take the opportunity to start a proper media database, and was looking at Jellyfin. Should be some way to import the local DB from a kodi, perhaps, but that's not important as long as I don't need to start over from scratch again for the foreseeable future.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm running Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV and having some issues with certain 4K HEVC shows barely being able to play. It almost feels like a bandwidth issue, where it'll play okay for a couple seconds, then start stuttering, then pretty quickly it's freezing for long periods of time and I can't even get the interface to respond. However, I tried playing the same files through the Emby app and it works just fine, which leads me to believe it's probably something with Kodi's settings. Has anybody experienced this issue?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm running Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV and having some issues with certain 4K HEVC shows barely being able to play. It almost feels like a bandwidth issue, where it'll play okay for a couple seconds, then start stuttering, then pretty quickly it's freezing for long periods of time and I can't even get the interface to respond. However, I tried playing the same files through the Emby app and it works just fine, which leads me to believe it's probably something with Kodi's settings. Has anybody experienced this issue?

Is the file small enough that you can copy it to the shield's storage and play it in Kodi? That would rule out networking issue.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So is the new Apple TV 4K still a messy hassle with Kodi stuff, especially if you don't own a Mac computer?

My Fire Cube has had a technical problem that nobody online reports ever existing let alone have a fix for it, so I'm thinking about throwing in the towel and getting a new box. I guess my only hesitation on getting the Shield is that if they come out with a new one this Fall that can play HDR YouTube I'll be kicking myself on dropping $250 CDN on the 2019 model now.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Apple TV does not have Kodi. It does has mrmc and infuse. Infuse is what I use.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I use the kodi emby plugin these days, but I think the difference is that out of box kodi will play the file directly over network while the emby client may well be transcoding and streaming, so using less bandwidth. Could be a network issue. You may also want to look into kodi config files to increase the network cache.

I do personally have a shield tv with kodi and wired gb network and have no problem playing 4k hevc.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 26, 2021

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Dyscrasia posted:

I use the kodi emby plugin these days, but I think the difference is that out of box kodi will play the file directly over network while the emby client may well be transcoding and streaming, so using less bandwidth. Could be a network issue. You may also want to look into kodi config files to increase the network cache.

I do personally have a shield tv with kodi and wired gb network and have no problem playing 4k hevc.

The day after I posted, I tried again with Kodi and it worked just fine, as it did last night and tonight as well. I've had the problem several times, but it appears I can't replicate it, so I'm just going to chalk it up to a recurring fluke. Maybe something is sucking up all the bandwidth, or maybe the Shield TV just has a bad night sometimes.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

kuddles posted:

I guess my only hesitation on getting the Shield is that if they come out with a new one this Fall that can play HDR YouTube I'll be kicking myself on dropping $250 CDN on the 2019 model now.

I can't recall where I read it, but the gist was that the Shield and Nintendo Switch share a processor family. As the new Switch didn't get a new chip there likely wouldn't be a new one for the Shield either.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The shield's hardware is still plenty good despite pushing 5+ years old. It's the software updates to have ads take up the majority of the home screen, make it harder to get to launch stuff you actually want, and add even more prompts to let google listen to everything you do that is making it harder to recommend

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Milkman posted:

The shield's hardware is still plenty good despite pushing 5+ years old. It's the software updates to have ads take up the majority of the home screen, make it harder to get to launch stuff you actually want, and add even more prompts to let google listen to everything you do that is making it harder to recommend

I love my OG Shield. The ads are a pain but I suppose it was inevitable. I believe there are lots of simple guide on how to launch directly into Plex/Kodi or just install a new launcher.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bonzo posted:

I love my OG Shield. The ads are a pain but I suppose it was inevitable. I believe there are lots of simple guide on how to launch directly into Plex/Kodi or just install a new launcher.

https://youtu.be/FgkSuCA6su4

I really like Wolf Launcher. I installed it months and months ago and haven't bothered to update it since, and it seems to work fine. I have it setup to be just a few columns/rows of icons and it's stupid easy. No ads, no auto-updating weird poo poo from apps that break.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, I've heard about Wolf Launcher and it would address the most annoying of it. Need to get off my duff some evening and get it set up on each of my shields. I just don't love the direction things are going in, even knowing this was probably all a matter of time buying into something Google. I guess it's been a blessing it was as friendly as it was for as long as it was.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Not sure if this is the right thread, but is there a Blu-ray/DVD ripping program that's generally considered the best to use? I was mainly interested in ripping audio from music DVDs, and I've exhausted most of the free trials out there. Now that it's time to pay for something, I figure I may as well go for something that handles video too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've had no issue with MakeMKV.
https://www.makemkv.com

It is free to use while it's in beta (it's been in beta for at least a decade), but the activation code expires after 1 month.

This forum thread lists the current activation code that you copy and paste for another month.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Edit: I have had issues ripping my John Wick Blu-rays, but that's because the disc will list dozens of files, each with the chapters in a different order, and you need to figure out which order is the correct one, which is a copy protection scheme easily solved with a Google search and not an issue with MakeMKV and its the only discs I've encountered it on.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 6, 2021

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use MakeMKV as well. Their forums will usually help you out when the studio tries to make the disk hard to rip.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I ripped probably about 90% of my bluray movie collection without a problem, Mac and PC, with MakeMKV. I had problems with my Samsung drive, and bought a $50 usb one off of BestBuy which did almost everything the first one couldn't.

I wish Kodi could play more menus though. So far I think it only worked for The Lego Movie and Lego Batman.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
okay thanks everyone, I'm giving MakeMKV a shot! From what I can tell, it doesn't let me rip audio directly, but there might be away to extract discrete tracks from the finished .mkv file with "MKVtoolnix" or something like that?

btw has anyone had issues with this makemkv.net site? I ignored some warnings from Windows before I downloaded the file. Warned me again before installing, which I ignored again, but then Windows refused to install it anyway with a "This app can't run on your PC" popup.

Did a little more poking around online and was directed to makemkv.com, which got me going without any issues. Should I have any malware concerns over that .net site? :ohdear:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Huh, that's what came up with DuckDuckGo. Google pulls up the .com site. Apologies.

I installed it so long ago, I don't remember what was correct. I'll edit my OP.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Is the consensus still that the NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2019 ver. is the best device for running Kodi?

My NUC6CAYH has been randomly freezing and only coming back up properly like once every four boots, and it can't do HDR since it's internally producing a DisplayPort 1.2a signal before a chip converts it to HDMI, so I'm getting ready to move on.

My experience with non-PC devices in the past have left me wary. Apple TV 2 was praised everywhere but the hardware was so abysmally bad it barely worked. I have a Fire TV Stick 4K too and it absolutely sucks for Kodi - laggy menus, very limited RAM/storage as usual, and refresh rate switching didn't work properly back when I was testing it.

I want something that plays any video you throw at it without complaining (H.264, H.264 Hi10P, H.265, AV1, VP9, etc.), can deal with 4K video, switches the refresh rate for proper 24p playback, supports HDR and ideally also supports CEC. I also want it to just run Kodi 24/7 instead of going back out to some lovely, laggy dashboard like the Fire TV.

Am I describing the SHIELD TV above, or is this yet another overhyped POS?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Keito posted:

Is the consensus still that the NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2019 ver. is the best device for running Kodi?

My NUC6CAYH has been randomly freezing and only coming back up properly like once every four boots, and it can't do HDR since it's internally producing a DisplayPort 1.2a signal before a chip converts it to HDMI, so I'm getting ready to move on.

My experience with non-PC devices in the past have left me wary. Apple TV 2 was praised everywhere but the hardware was so abysmally bad it barely worked. I have a Fire TV Stick 4K too and it absolutely sucks for Kodi - laggy menus, very limited RAM/storage as usual, and refresh rate switching didn't work properly back when I was testing it.

I want something that plays any video you throw at it without complaining (H.264, H.264 Hi10P, H.265, AV1, VP9, etc.), can deal with 4K video, switches the refresh rate for proper 24p playback, supports HDR and ideally also supports CEC. I also want it to just run Kodi 24/7 instead of going back out to some lovely, laggy dashboard like the Fire TV.

I use a 10th gen NUC in the family room and recently got a Shield for the guest bedroom. It works great and plays everything I have thrown at it with ease, I don't know that I've tried every format you mentioned yet though. I would definitely recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Keito posted:

I migrated from Kodi to Emby *forever* ago and I don't even remember Kodi, Emby is so much better. Is that an option for you? My 2017(?) Shield connected to my Emby server plays everything I have with no issues. CEC is supported; I only use my TV remote to turn the TV off.

It Just Works.