Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

jonathan posted:

Problem is the nuc is used for torrents, plex server, jukebox etc. So It runs windows 7 most of the time, and then ideally i'd like to reboot with the usb stick in the drive for xbmc use. Is it possible to get a fast usb stick ? If not I'll likely just run windows xbmc.

There's this thing which is probably made out of surplus SSD nand from Sandisk: Wirecutter review Close to the same price as that 32gb mSATA drive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Legdiian posted:

What does this mean for us? Launching XBMC without going into SETTINGS->APPS?

At the moment this means the FireTV can now use external usb storage. You have to manually mount the disks each time though. Eventually things should get streamlined/they should be able to get a different launcher on there.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah it only works on the ATV2 and they're dropping support after Kodi 14.2 comes out.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Minty Swagger posted:

The newer android boxes are way more powerful too. I belive even the newest apple tv is still a single core 1ghz chip and even the fire tv stick has twice the ram and a dual core 1ghz chip for $30 less.

I'm really close to buying a fire tv set top to replace my htpc, the only hangup being that I need to explore how well the limelight app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limelight&hl=en) plays on it in general as my HTPC probably gets used more for gaming than video at this point on my end.

Anyone using this setup with an xbox 360 controller and it links up okay?

I haven't done much with limelight but it DID mostly work with pcsx2. I could mess around with it and steam for you some today and see how it goes. You're probably going to want to be using a wired connection though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Minty Swagger posted:

Yeah I currently run wired for my existing setup, I just wonder how the geforce experience thing works on non NVIDA optimized games and stuff like that, the steam streaming doesn't really give a poo poo on WHAT game it is which is cool and the integration of steam into XBMC is super easy. Maybe I should just leave it as is. :sigh:

WRT to games Limelight doesn't care and you can add the game executable manually to the geforce experience. It's what I did for PCSX2 when I tried it out that one time.

The Fire TV should be able to handle 720p60 or 1080p30 without too much trouble. 1080p60 is too much for it. They also recently made a change on the new geforce experience (version 2.1.4) that changes the way they stream games. This adds a decent amount of input lag on some devices and could include the Fire TV (devices with qualcomm based processors). You'll have to downgrade to 2.1.3 to get around that. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56839233&postcount=1699

edit: besides that new thing that may not affect the fire tv (can't find any info either way and I haven't used limelight in awhile) Limelight seems to work fine on the Fire TV.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 9, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Minty Swagger it looks like the Fire TV has 50 ms of video lag before you take the TV and network into account. Fire TV Stick's video lag is 20 ms due to different hardware (broadcom chipset). The Shield tablet or a nexus player is at 5ms. It's up to the device and how it handles H.264 hardware decoding latency. There's more information Here..

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 10, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EC posted:

Speaking of, what the hell is going on with Steven Universe S2 numbering?! They're so wrong, and it seems like an easy thing to fix.

Three steven bombs so episodes got shuffled around and moved out of their intended order, amazon and itunes doing their own thing for episode numbering, scene doing THEIR own thing for episode numbering and no dvds or blu-rays in sight.

It's kind of a mess.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

IUG posted:

Does anyone know how to get Kodi onto the main screen of a Fire TV? I just picked up a second one, and my living room one is setup perfect. I don't have to launch it through Ikono Art anymore on that Stick, it's in my menu legitimately. I remember I "Purchased" it off of Amazon, so I went to my digital purchase for it, but it won't let me push it to the new Stick.

I already sideloaded it, and it works perfect, but I don't have the icon for the front page. I have a feeling I did it from the App's page on Amazon, but it looks like they pulled it. I can see it in my digital purchase history, but when I click on it's name, it brings me to a 404 page.

Amazon removed kodi from the app store so you can't get it up on the main screen anymore without using llama or installing firestarter or something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Slash posted:

Out of Nexus Player/Fire TV/New Apple TV which is going to be easiest to get working with my Logitech Harmony One Remote(the IR one)?

(I realise AppleTV can't run Kodi, but it can run Plex which is just as good as far as i care)

I know flirc has support for the fire tv now on their forums/etc (at least for the old fire tv). Nexus Player will work after doing some things. Though that post is almost a year old so I wouldn't be surprised if there's better ways to support it now on the flirc forums as well.

We won't know what all the new apple tv will work with until it's actually out.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah they stopped selling them because they want you to buy something with amazon video (like their Fire TV for instance).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does the Shield have Netflix in HD? I bought a $50 Android box on Amazon, realized pretty quickly that Netflix doesn't do HD on off-brand devices, promptly returned it, and bought a Fire TV.

The shield supports Netflix 4K.

edit: Beaten. Oh well.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone have any success with Win10 and Kodi yet?

I can't even get shared folders to show up on my FireTV stick running 15.2 - I've shared them both in a homegroup and out of a homegroup, disabled the windows firewall, when I go to add location and select Windows SMB it doesn't find anything, other PC's on my network see the shares fine though. I don't get it why it won't come up now, is this some bullshit related to using a MS account for login rather than a local account?

Edit: Changed to a local account login and now everything is showing up fine...stupid windows 10

Yeah the november update for Windows 10 changed SMB sharing if you have a Microsoft Account.

For future reference you have to login with <computer name>\<username> where <username> is whatever is under C:\Users\<username>, and your MS account password. Local account it doesn't care and you can do stuff like in windows 8.1

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Cornjob posted:

A friend of mine bought the Shield, hoping to finally have a "kodi and netflix in the same box" solution. He thought it was the solution until he learned it would not recognize his 8TB drive. Deal breaker for him.

The shield can be a little weird sometimes with external drives. It can only read one partition so if for some reason there's a hidden partition on there it may see that instead or it may just not mount the drive. The shield should (after updates) support FAT32, NTFS, and (I think) exFAT external drives. He may just need to reformat the drive and make sure there's only one partition on it.

Alternatively it just doesn't support 8tb drives in which case he could try rooting it and mounting the drive with stickmount though not sure how easy it'd be to return the shield after it's rooted.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Depends on how the shield is setup and whether or not the tv/receiver/whatever supports EAC3 passthrough if you want to get Netflix 5.1 surround to work.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/840181/shield-android-tv/setup-help-for-netflix-5-1-surround-sound/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Plex costs like $5 per cellphone account that you want to use to cast it to your tv with the android/ios app.

The server is free, you just install it to the PC that's going to do the transcoding. Plex Pass stuff is only really useful if you want to get in on beta features or sync to mobile devices for use away from home.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I've had no issues with a dualshock 4. May just be a thing with some xbox one controllers

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EC posted:

I've been using Kodi since before it was Kodi and you never have to touch any of this shady looking poo poo unless you're looking for ways to stream content illegally.

I think there's less and less reason to use Kodi nowadays but I still like it over Plex for streaming local content, mainly because it doesn't constantly try to shove additional content down my throat.

I'd probably swap to Kodi so I wouldn't have to worry about PGS subs on 4K HDR stuff but Kodi just has weird framepacing/framerate judder for me on some files and that doesn't happen with Plex and I'm still not sure why this is the case.

Gonna blame some mix of not knowing how to setup kodi right, the shield tv, the x900f, or the random anime (and a few non anime) mkvs just being weirdly encoded.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EC posted:

It pretty much *just works*. I'd look up how to replace the stock launcher (I use the Wolf launcher and have no ads or other bullshit, just a list of icons) but that's pretty trivial to do.

I should get around to replacing the launcher on my 2017 shield tv. At some point I may need a new one since my current shield tv's ethernet port broke a little (stuff won't stay hooked into it. I've tried multiple cords so it's something on the shield's end). At least it's close to the router so wifi has been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EC posted:

I replaced my 2017 model awhile back, but I had the opposite problem: the ethernet cord wouldn't come out of the port. I never figured out if it was the cable or the Shield, I sent the box to a friend and he said he plugged it up and it worked fine.

I vaguely remember having that problem and I think "solving" that problem caused the new one. That or a cat knocking it off it's perch did it. I should have wall mounted the TV my setup is not great. Everything is behind the 65" tv and difficult to reach if you got to fix something. Nothing can sit in front of it due to the weird legs on the x900f (two big diagonal things) that barely have enough space to situate the soundbar.