Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I've been using Kodi on my FireTV for years now, networked with my NAS (Radarr, Sonarr, etc). However, since the FireTV is not going to have Disney+ support at launch, I'll be moving to a different device.

The nVidia Shield seems to be the most recommended box. It seems to support Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Kodi, and Disney+.

Is this probably my best bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
The Shield is sold out on Amazon. The closest Best Buy that has one in stock is like 50 miles away. Crazy. I've ordered one on Amazon, where they're supposed to be in stock by October 18th. Thanks for the advice, everybody.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

FeastForCows posted:

Got a two-parter for you folks here:

I have a Sony Bravia X900(0)E and I'm looking at buying a Synology DS218+ so I can store my media on the NAS and stream it to my TV in the bedroom and the PC in another room. I have a whole bunch of questions about this setup, but the two most important right now are:

1) Will I need anything else besides the NAS and my TV with Kodi to stream to the TV?
2) Google Play or any kind of app stores are not a thing where I live (blocked), so I probably won't be able to download the Kodi app directly from the TV. I assume I can put it manually on the TV?

Thanks in advance.
I've got a Synology DS212 (an older version of what you're looking at), and no, you won't need anything else. Except drives, obviously. You'll need drives.

You should be able to side-load Kodi onto that TV, but you should google for directions about it. Should be pretty easy though.