Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I used this program to make the nfo files for everything I have. I started because I had a bunch of stuff I ripped with no info that would scrape wrong and this was so easy to use I just did everything.

http://www.tinymediamanager.org/

I also use the show_name/Season #/S01E01 folder format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I think you can press c on the show name, where you would normally press enter to see the season/episode lists. There is options in there to rescan or remove it if you have to. If you remove a show and then scan for new content it will read the nfo files.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
My Celeron NUC will decode H265 in Kodi. I don't know if it has hardware support or not though. Rick and Morty at 1080p, so I dunno if cartoons are extra easy on the CPU and maybe a live action movie would lag.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Well that solves that mystery. I don't know what powerful means in HTPC context, maybe a Celeron is high end compared to an ARM box.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I have a couple of android boxes and a NUC for my main TV. My kids are 6 and 3 and they can both use the NUC but have trouble with the android boxes. Just because the NUC responds instantly to input and the android boxes have enough lag that they push buttons over and over and it skips all over the menus when it catches up. They are a little bit old now so maybe newer ones are better.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I just updated to Kodi 16.0 – Jarvis and I have an exciting new problem. When I turn my TV off and on again with Kodi running it makes the UI huge so I can't see anything but the upper left corner. I switched from fullscreen to fullscreen window and that didn't help. If I exit Kodi and start it again it works fine. I have my computer plugged into a surround receiver and then into the TV if that matters. I was doing some reading and I guess the new version supports UI scaling or something to that effect for use on Android devices with crazy high res screens but I can't find any settings to turn that off, if it's the problem. Is there an IRC channel for Kodi or anything?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The computer doesn't change resolutions on me, Kodi is going crazy with UI scaling. It only started when I updated to version 16. I've updated a few versions on that PC and this is the first time I had any problems. I can play a movie and stop it, alt-enter twice or restart Kodi and that fixes the problem. For now I just set the inactivity timer to exit Kodi after 20 min. I use the computer for other stuff on the TV too so that's fine for now. I can remote start Kodi with my remote anyway.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I just did a test. If I am at the main menu using the default skin and I turn my TV off and on again the UI zooms in. If I don't fix it and turn the TV off and on again it zooms in more. I did it 3 times and the little weather info thing in the corner ended up filling the whole screen because it zooms in more and more each time. I went to the system info screen and it was reading 1920x1080, and it still zooms in on that screen, still says 1920x1080. But, if I go to the system info > video screen and turn the TV off and on again it doesn't zoom in. Very strange.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I looked at the Kodi forums. I was reading about how to turn on debugging logs and crap but I haven't got around to it. It's not a real pressing problem but I'd like to fix it eventually. I was hoping if I wait a bit someone else will have the same problem and find a fix. :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
If you PC can handle it then it should sound the same. I noticed the audio stays synced to the video better if I let the PC decode it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Windows does have some things like refresh rate switching that some Android boxes don't support.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

nexus player and shield support refresh rate switching if they are on android 6.0.x

Good to know. It'd be nice if there was a rundown of features that was kept up to date somewhere.

Edit: I also love my NUC. I run Windows 10 for Netflix and emulators and stuff. It may be overkill but I'd rather have that then put up with slowdowns. It's only been quite recent that Android boxes have caught up to the performance of a weak Windows machine. I've seen a lot of people buy 2 or 3 Android boxes since I've got my NUC and it's not anywhere near the end of it's useful life yet.

TomR fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 29, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

My $99 Fire TV can play PSP games. I think you're underestimating how powerful Android boxes have gotten. (Also it's super nice to link official Android apps to the front page of Kodi instead of trying to come up with some hack solution to integrate them or make them play nice with a remote)

No I'm not. They are good now, but that's only recent. A NUC is still way more powerful, but most of that power will go to waste watching TV.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
A while ago I had a scaling problem when I turned my TV off and on again that started when I updated to 16.0. It was fixed in 16.1. Supposedly 17 is going to be a big update so I hope they don't break much.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This is a good tool too http://www.tinymediamanager.org/

Also I tried the Google music add-on for Kodi and it worked really well. It doesn't seem to have a lot of features yet, but I didn't have any trouble getting it to work. It's still in the experimental stage. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200640

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I also have a NUC N2820 running Windows 10 and Kodi and other than a Kodi bug scaling wrong that was fixed the first patch I've had no problems at all. I put an SSD in mine so it actually feels pretty fast. I've never noticed any slowdowns from any streams either. My kids use Netflix all the time and my wife uses TV station sites to watch whatever garbage shows she watches :v:
My kids also use it to play the Windows 10 store version of Minecraft with an xbox controller. Kodi has one of the heavier skins and it runs smooth as butter.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I think the NUC was a great buy.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I don't care for the new skin. I think I like to scroll up and down rather than left and right.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I have a Panasonic plasma TV and a Windows box running Kodi. I used to have everything set to full range color, but when I upgraded Kodi to v17 the option for limited range was exposed so I turned that on in Kodi and on my TV. I used a calibration video in Kodi to set my black and white points. For whatever reason the TV will show darker blacks with limited turned on, so this is good, except Kodi is making letter boxes grey instead of black. If I change the TV controls I can crush them to black but I lose too much shadow detail doing that. I can't find any info on how to fix this problem, but I have seen some others mention having it. Any ideas?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I did that. Before everything was full, but when I was able to set Kodi to limited I set both TV and Kodi. Overall the picture looks better because the video files don't need to be converted and for whatever reason the TV will display darker blacks. Just the letter boxes aren't as dark as the black in actual video.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I didn't know Kodi had those controls. What menu are they in?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks, I never thought to change anything in there. I just checked and they are both set to 50%.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made an MSPaint to show the problem I have more clearly. I exaggerated the difference so you can see it clearly, it's not that bad, but it is noticeable.

I always have the TV and Kodi set the same so it isn't a miss match problem. The movie it's self looks better under limited, but it's like Kodi is still running it's UI and letterboxes in full range or something. The TV has a few options to control the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. So I can crush the letterboxes to black, but that also crushes shadows on the movie.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This says not to do that: http://kodi.wiki/view/video_levels_and_color_space
Apparently setting all three to limited can result in washed out colors.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

TomR posted:

I made an MSPaint to show the problem I have more clearly. I exaggerated the difference so you can see it clearly, it's not that bad, but it is noticeable.

I always have the TV and Kodi set the same so it isn't a miss match problem. The movie it's self looks better under limited, but it's like Kodi is still running it's UI and letterboxes in full range or something. The TV has a few options to control the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. So I can crush the letterboxes to black, but that also crushes shadows on the movie.

I fixed this issue. I had to force the Intel drivers to full range for the desktop, and for video. Kodi and TV are set to limited. What was happening is the video was limited, which looked correct, but the letterboxs were limited in Kodi and also being limited again by the Intel drivers so black was washed out just on the letterboxs. So FYI Intel drivers have two places you can set color range.

Blacks look amazing now and I'm very happy. I've only had the TV set wrong for a few years :v:

Edit: I said I had the Intel drivers set to force limited on video, which was wrong. Both driver setting to full and Kodi and TV to limited.

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 27, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Have they sorted out the audio pass through issues on Android? Are the Android boxes capable of changing the refresh rate to match the video being played? I've been using an Intel NUC for quite a while but the hand me down SSD I put in it has finally failed. A new SSD costs as much as an Android box so I was thinking of getting one. The NUC has been great by the way.

Edit: looking at the Mi Box, seems pretty good.

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 30, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Did some reading and it looks like the Mi Box doesn't support refresh rate switching. The feature may be added with a new firmware and a Kodi update. It doesn't support all the audio codecs either. There are a few other features I can't find answers on but I think I'll just fix my computer because I know it works.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Should put this in the new OP too: https://www.tinymediamanager.org/

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm still using my NUC with MCE remote. Works great. I did just get one of them cheapo gyro mouse/remotes off amazon to use with netflix from the couch. It works "okay". I also have an app for my tablet that turns it into a giant touchpad for the pc and it works great but is a little clunky to wake the tablet and launch the app to move the mouse.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
http://kodi.wiki/view/Incorrect_and_missing_videos

#2 is what you are looking for. If the video didn't scrape into your library then it's in videos>files and when you press i it will bring up a search box. If it did scrape but it's wrong you will get the info screen with a description etc. On the bottom right is a button that says refresh (assuming the default skin). Pressing that will bring up the search for you to enter the proper name.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, the i button is info. It's not hidden or anything.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Sputnik posted:

Thanks for confirming this for me. Pre-17, this is exactly how and what I would have (and had been doing) done. I just grabbed my remote and checked it - If Kodi has identified any title name (even if it is wrong), i works as you describe, and had been for years. If Kodi doesn't recognize a title name, the i button does nothing. In file browser, in two alphabetically adjacent folders, an improperly titled one can be easily renamed and have it link up, while an unrecognized name won't work.

Given that this is clearly aberrant behaviour, I guess I'm stuck assuming (a) I hosed up a keybinding months ago and was too dumb to notice, although that doesn't explain conflicting effects in the same folder view, or (b) I hosed up installing which 17.x version of Kodi I'm on.

If you say that i works just like it's always supposed to, and I can have "notld.avi" correctly re-titled to "Night of the Living Dead," then I guess a complete reinstall is in order! That sounds like fun given the size of my library.....:smith:

It could be that whatever add-on does the searching is broken for you. Maybe go around forcing updates on things before you erase Kodi, just in case.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Kreez posted:

I've been spending too much money on HTPCs to run XBMC/Kodi for like 15 years now. I've currently got a little NUC I built only 2 years ago for hundreds of dollars gathering dust, because the little Android box my ISP sent me for free to run their budget TV service is better in nearly every way. One problem is that while it will happily do 4K in the Netflix app, Kodi struggles with even 1080p. It's watchable, but the slightest background process kicking off, or extremely high bitrate scene causes it to get choppy. I gather this is due to having newish hardware that isn't fully supported by Kodi yet

From an employee of my ISP on their forum:

I'm not clever enough to pick through Kodi development notes to see if this hardware is going to be better supported in v18. Anyone know where I'd look? Last time I asked a question vaguely like this on the XBMC forums I got screamed at for daring to bug the poor developers who do this for free and bla bla bla.

On another note, what is everyone doing with their costly x86 HTPC systems that have been made obsolete overnight by $10 Chinese Android boxes?

I think v18 is almost done, try installing the latest Dev build and see if it works any better.

And yeah the Kodi forums are something else. The answer is always a) there is already a thread for this (that probably doesn't have the answer and is three years old) or b) this isn't a problem with Kodi (when it totally is because it's fixed next update)

I have an Amazon fire stick I use for Netflix etc. but I still use my nuc for Kodi because Android platforms just don't do some of the things I need. It also works well for steam game streaming.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I have nothing against the shield, but my nuc still works great and I was using it for netflix with the windows 10 app, but the fire stick is cheap and easy to use. Kodi doesn't work well enough on the firestick for me though, and plex acts funny on it too sometimes. I even got cec working so you just press the home button and the TV comes up and my receiver switches to that HDMI input. A shield in Canada costs almost as much as my nuc did.

I have a second TV that has a built in plex app that works great so one day when I replace my main TV I may do away with boxes altogether and not use Kodi at all anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The Shield may be expensive, but nvidia has been updating the firmware the whole time it's been out. You aren't likely to get that kind of support from no-name Android boxes, no matter how comparable their specs are.