Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
XBMC is now supported on updated Apple TV 2 running 5.2

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155388

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

snickles posted:

Dumb question, but is there a way to update to 5.2 without having to jailbreak again?

I don't believe so, but the jailbreak with Seas0npass is really pretty darn simple. I just did it and installed XBMC in under 30 minutes.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I've got a bit of a convoluted Apple TV 2 XBMC setup that I'm having buffering issues with. I've got the Apple TV hooked up to the TV/receiver running XBMC Gotham, and a desktop external hard drive connected to my Time Capsule as a network drive. I didn't seem to have many issues with older versions of XBMC, but lately I'm having a lot more buffering issues. I went ahead and set cachemembuffer=0 thinking that would help. I don't think the USB external drive connected to the Time Capsule is a very robust setup, but it's what I have available right now. These aren't 1080p quality files or anything, so I'm not sure where the buffering is coming from. I'm not sure if an actual NAS would work better, or even upgrading to an Amazon FireTV and root it with the hard drive directly connected, but the constant buffering issues are killing my kiddo and his precious TV time.

Falco fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 23, 2014

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Where/how is everyone storing their files? Especially those that use something without on board storage like an AppleTV or FireTV to run XBMC.

As mentioned above I connect an external hard drive through our Time Capsule to have access over the network. I know there are better setups, but I already had the Time Capsule so it didn't cost me anything extra.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Gozinbulx posted:

In my experience, dual core chips don't cut it for XBMC. Depends I guess on what GPU its using but theres no info on that.

Doesn't the Apple TV 2 only have a single core? It always seemed to run XBMC decently well.

I've been looking at the Fire TV for an updated XBMC box, but with this Fire TV stick, I wonder if it will do all of the same things at a lower price point.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Okay, I wasn't sure whether to ask this here or in the Fire TV thread, but I'm having issues with XBMC on my new Fire TV. I was able to get XBMC sideloaded onto the thing, but sometimes after opening up XBMC from the System>Applications menu it will either instantly boot me back to the Fire TV menu or it will do so after I load a movie. It seems totally random, and I haven't figured out a pattern at this point. Has anyone had similar experiences? I came from an Apple TV 2 that had horrible buffering issues, which I think is mainly due to my convoluted method of an external hard drive connected to a Time Capsule as a makeshift NAS. I always see rave reviews with using XBMC on the Fire TV, so I'm hoping this is just a setting or something that I have setup incorrectly.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Call Me Charlie posted:

Are you sure you sideloaded the correct version? Gotham 13.2 ARM is the one you want.

Yup, that's the one. drat I had to check thought, I thought I might have used the x86 version. I might just try reloading it and see how it goes.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wolfbiker posted:

What's all this stuff I read about Fire TVs with old firmware, not updating to the latest version, etc.

That's all if you want to root it, which allows you to connect an external drive to the USB port, use the Google Play store among other things. If you want to use it as designed, and load XBMC, you don't need to worry about that at all.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

r0ck0 posted:

How are they going to handle upgrades for end users? Will it be a fresh install with a tool to migrate settings and poo poo? Will they rename the directory if doing an inplace upgrade? Whats going on peoples?!

From their notes on the release candidate:

quote:

A Few Warnings and Notices

This release marks the switch to the new name Kodi. When you install this release candidate, your library and add-ons will be moved to Kodi, making reverting back to 13.2 fairly difficult. As such, it is recommended that you back up your library as well as your settings before installing Kodi.

Also, as Kodi is an unsigned application on OSX, you may need to go through a slightly different process to start it the first time. After you have copied Kodi to the Applications folder, you will need to “right click” or “two finger click” Kodi from within the Applications folder and select “Open” and then accept the warning. You should only need to do this the first time you run Kodi.

There are links to back up your library and settings within there as well.

Here is a link to the page: http://kodi.tv/kodi-14-0-helix-release-candidate-3/

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Atarian posted:

Just did this for my girlfriend yesterday. You install an app, then change the apps icon to the kodi icon, and launch kodi from that. http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/

This worked great, although I did have to change the event in Llama to point at Kodi instead of XBMC. Although it might be because I still had XBMC installed as well as Kodi.

Falco fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 4, 2015

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Isn't the primary difference where the grunt work takes place? I thought Plex required a more robust server than just an external hard drive connected to a router, and XBMC/KODI requires the hardware more on the interface/device end.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

kri kri posted:

Just came across this Harmony bluetooth profile for plex/kodi today.

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Hub-Based-Remotes/OpenELEC-full-bluetooth-support/m-p/1457311#M28039

Thought it might help some people.

This is really directed at those viewing Kodi on a Raspberry Pi or other computer based systems right? We just picked up a Logitech hub remote and synced it up with our FireTV and it works great with no tweaks at all.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
It looks like the Nvidia Shield is on sale through December 19th for $180 including the remote. If I didn't already have a FireTV, I would be all over this.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Spittin Wheelie posted:

Aw crap! Thanks for the info. Where did this come from?

Edit: Follow up question. How can I add my NAS manually if I can't add through UPnP?

Create NFS shares and still look for it manually? That's what I did on my QNAP. It took me a while to figure out how to select the folders for NFS, but once I found the check box it was pretty easy.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Looks like Jarivs RC2 was released today. I guess it's finally time to pull the trigger and get a Kodi, Emby, Sonarr setup working once and for all. I've used XBMC/Kodi forever, but never beyond just pointing Kodi to a networked folder. Now that I have a QNAP NAS, it's time to set it up a bit better.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

LmaoTheKid posted:

The new default skin looks awesome and will be a step up from confluence.

And looks similar to the Emby app which my wife really liked. Should save me a little cash once it's released.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

IUG posted:

I've not used Emby before, but I just looked at it (some YouTube video). It looks like I have to run an Emby server, which I don't see on Drobo. I see it's on FreeNAS and Synology, but I'm not familiar with those NASs. I don't need to transcode either, this is strictly in my local network.

Everything I've read here and on the Packrats thread is to not buy a Drobo. Just don't do it, and instead buy a Synology, QNAP or build a FreeNAS box.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I'm still on Jarvis, but does anyone know if the MPAA rating shows up anywhere when browsing movies? I would love to see this to help guide what my kid can watch.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Can anyone with a FireTV see if their Kodi app shows up on the recent apps lately? I have a full FireTV and have had Kodi installed the whole time I've owned it. With the recent software update that automatically pushed on the FireTV Kodi can only be accessed in from the settings menu. I am using Jarvis and haven't yet updated to Krypton.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Yeah I thought FireStarter was dead, but now I can't remember why I thought that.

Kodi was on mine up until this update, and now it got stripped off.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Falco posted:

Can anyone with a FireTV see if their Kodi app shows up on the recent apps lately? I have a full FireTV and have had Kodi installed the whole time I've owned it. With the recent software update that automatically pushed on the FireTV Kodi can only be accessed in from the settings menu. I am using Jarvis and haven't yet updated to Krypton.

Okay for anyone having this issue I finally figured out how to fix it. Of course I figured this out after nuking Kodi settings and having to set things back up.

From Redit: posted:

Finally got this working. In the end, I think this process should work (if Kodi doesn't show in the Apps menu (not recent apps))
Delete (do not choose archive, it has to be DELETED from your account) Kodi from your apps list from your Amazon account
Clear Amazon App store data and cache
Reboot
Sync Amazon content
Launch Kodi
It should appear in your Apps menu. Once it's there, you can make it a favorite and it should appear in recent.
The above steps worked on my recently updated firestick. Didn't need to reinstall Kodi or unregister the firestick.
Hope this helps someone else..

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody use a Harmony Hub with an Amazon Fire TV? The very brief research I did into it suggested that maybe it doesn't work so well.

edit: Kodi is installed on the Fire TV, to keep this thread-relevant.

Yup I’ve got an older fire tv with Kodi installed and it works great with that setup. It takes a tiny bit of fiddling at the beginning, but once its setup, your good to go.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I haven’t ran into the audio out of sync issues very often, maybe once or twice. But I’m having a helluva time where loads of my media flat out won’t play sound. Sometimes it works if we restart either the FireTV or Kodi, but it’s inconsistent. I haven’t found specific audio setting that seems to play it. If I open the videos in Emby, they work just fine. Has anyone ran into issues like that?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
This thread may be dead, but I'm not sure where else to post it.

It looks like our original FireTV kicked the bucket this weekend. It just refuses to turn on/be recognized by our TV, and I haven't figured out a way to resurrect it. We really just use it for streaming shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi (from a local NAS), and as a Plex player from a friend's offsite server.

What would you all recommend as a replacement box? We don't care about gaming, any sort of smart assistant, access to photos or anything like that.
A Fire Cube? Nvidia Shield? Roku?

Edit: To add to it, our TV is an ancient Samsung LCD, well before 4k and we don't have current plans to replace it.

Falco fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 23, 2020

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Dang, it sounds like the Nvidia Shield is the way to go. It's quite a bit more than I was hoping to spend compared to the FireTV Cube ($150-200 vs. $90).

How about any opinions on the Nvidia Shield TV vs. Shield TV Pro? It looks like the Pro is sold out everywhere.

Falco fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Thanks everyone. A buddy had an extra Fire Stick to borrow for now. Although long term I’ll look into picking up a Shield TV.