Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I currently have a Kodi rPi2 for general media consumption and an old HP microserver for the wife's film screeners that are streamed across what seems is a different platform depending on who is distributing the film.

The microserver just updated to w10 and completely poo poo the bed so i was thinking of just getting a Celeron NUC and just using that for Kodi and the streaming, freeing up a wired port on the router.

Are the n3000 celerons gonna be enough to handle that, it'll pretty much just be Kodi, chrome and media player classic installed on the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've been running kodi since the original pi came out and have had zero problems with it.

Only recently upgraded to a NUC due to having the need to stream from a browser for my wife's work and every distributor using a completely different platform, with the majority of them not working right on a mobile browser.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Who doesn't order everything by folders anyway? That sounds like an absolute nightmare to browse.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Just use Confluence like every sane person out there.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

phosdex posted:

I had no real problems with kodi on the pi 2+

Yeah, I've had no problems with the pi2+ and haven't felt the need to upgrade to a 3 to run Kodi.

On the original Pi model B there was some UI lag, but i've never experienced it on my 2.

I have a small form factor PC in the main room for browser streaming and Kodi and sometime I just hate the fact that I can't control it with my tv's remote using HDMI-CEC. I'm yet to find a decent IR/bluetooth controller that doesn't poo poo the bed in some way or form.

I'd get a Harmony remote but I don't really need to replace all my controllers as I can do everything with my TV's remote.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 5, 2017

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I had a media pc for xbmc and web streaming in the living room and wanted to duplicate it in the bedroom and took a chance on a Steam Link to just stream the desktop from that computer in the bedroom. (it was $27 with a free $20 steam card thrown in)

I'm actually super impressed with it and even using it over wifi can play games with some minor hitches, wired would be perfect.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The XBMC on my Pi B+ has stopped recognising a SMB share to my pc. The odd thing is that it remembers shares to other drives in the same system.

I haven't changed anything on the pc, and yet the other version of XBMC I have in the main living room (which is pc based) can access the share perfectly fine.

E: I found the problem. It had updated the path of the shortcut to \\pcname\directory\directory\ when it should have been just \\pcname\directory\

Somehow it has done this itself as I've not touched anything on this install. Anyway problem solved.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 2, 2018

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
When I fixed the problem above it re scraped the directory and I got the same error about half way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone using the new Chromecast for Kodi and streaming apps?

My old Pi2 isn't cutting it with h.265 videos, it plays but stutters when theres a lot of stuff going on on screen.

It's only for the bedroom tv so don't need 4k and HDR, but for a new Pi it's about the same cost, and would be nice to have everything on one device rather than a Pi + ps4 combo.