Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking for a new XBMC PC, it is to stream 1080p movies from my home server and also be snappy and responsive when in the menus, are there any in that list that I should avoid?

I like that, unlike NUCs, the Zboxes come with a remote, integrated wifi and support for 2.5 inch drives. I'd like to give Openelec a go but also have a good enough system to run Windows 8 in case Openelec doesn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are you running openelec? Any problems? I've read that the remote and sleep mode can be tricky to get working.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Even if it's not a huge difference, I'd like to have a power draw of 1w instead of 13w most of the time. I'll see if I can get it to work, as I did end up ordering an AD12. Thanks for all the advice!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My first afternoon with the AD12 has been a bit sobering, as I have had numerous small issues with it:

-on of the the rubber screws its standing on is a bit too short, meaning it's standing on just three of the screws and wobbles when you push down on it
-WLAN is too slow to stream 1080p
-the menus are, when using the remote control, a bit sluggish
-boot times are pretty long, 40+ seconds (openelec on USB stick)
-FAN is pretty loud

On the plus side, it does 1080p movies without stuttering and was pretty cheap.

I've only spent an afternoon with it but now I kinda wish I had waited for the Haswell NUCs to become available, oh well, live and learn.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

IUG posted:

Why not unscrew that one a bit to level it?

The Gunslinger posted:

Alternatively you can just pick up a little rubber foot leveler or one of those anti-scrape pads for chairs and cut it, dollar store stuff.

Don Lapre posted:

On the AD10 you can adjust when the fan comes on in the bios. I raised the minimum temperature and my noises went away.

You can replace the WLAN with a better card and get better performance.

Make sure you have the right screws in the right holes, on the AD10 they are not all the same.

Maybe I'll take another look to see if the screws are different lengths. It's not a huge issue since it has no functional impact, I was just a bit disappointed to see what I thought was poor build quality.

The Gunslinger posted:

As Don mentioned the default fan profile for the ADxx units is rubbish, bump up the min temperature quite a bit. I will post what I'm using when I get home from work, the fan never goes above whisper quiet when running OpenElec. The WLAN is lovely, just replace it or run ethernet. Menus should be fine, I'm using a Harmony and don't really have much delay. Try a different stick?

Boot times should be about 30 seconds from power to XBMC on OpenElec which is fair due to the kernel init, polling and all that.

If you could share your BIOS settings I'd certainly appreciate it!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Also on my AD10 I had to disable "common plugin cache" to get the thing to cool down to safe levels.

Can you elaborate a bit what this option is and where I can find it?

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Hey for the boot time, what kind of stick are you using? the boot time is relatively limited to the speed of the stick, so you might want to invest on one of those faster sticks if you need it to boot quickly. Mine boots really quick but I also picked up one of those EXXXTREEEME or whatever sticks that can read and write very quickly.

For the menu, you could always install YATSE which is a cool android app for phones and tablets to give a visual menu of videos to play. I actually delegated a more or less obsolete nook color to remote duty.
There shouldn't be too much of a delay though, can you identify if its cpu lagging behind or if its just a high latency IR reciever?

I'm using an old-ish USB 2.0 Stick I had lying around, if I were to change it, is there an easy way to migrate my openelec install or even just the database onto a new stick? I assume I can't just plug it into my (Windows) PC and copy it over. I did actually try YATSE and it was a bit more responsive, so I think it there's definitely some IR receiver lag there. I'll probably end up using a combination of the remote and YATSE. I should also not that all my media is on a network share, though I don't think that should have any impact on menu responsiveness since that stuff is all saved on the stick as I understand it.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I realize there are certain limitations that WIFI comes with, but I still think the WIFI of the AD12 is pretty poor. I have it plugged into one of these now: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA850RE-Universal-One-button-Indicator/dp/B00E98O7GC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382635799&sr=8-3 and that's good enough to stream 1080p movies.

I've since run into another problem unfortunately, that being that the scraper is incredibly slow, to the point where it takes about 30 minutes to scrape info for 5 seasons of TV and even just a check to see if there's new Shows on the hard drive takes upwards of 60 seconds.

Anyone know what could be the reason for this? I figure it has to be either a slow usb drive, slow WIFI or a poor connection to my home server.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The connection to the home server seems to be the culprit, I moved the powerlan plug to a different socket and that improved scraping speeds quite a bit. :)

Also, Gunslinger if you could let me know about your fan settings in the bios I'd really appreciate it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Gunslinger posted:

PWM/Temp Slope 5
Smartfan Off Temp 50
Smartfun Startup Temp 55
Smartfan Full on Temp 70
Smartfan startup dutycycle 40%

is what I use after playing around for awhile. Temps rarely exceed 45, totally silent in OpenElec. Remember that in the BIOS the CPU will be pegged so you can't really test settings there very well, it'll run full tilt and go into full on mode. Apply your settings and then boot into OpenElec then play around.

Thanks, I'll play with those settings this weekend. You do have an ad12, right? I ask cause on the default settings my temps seem to be 55°c and up when idle.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I bought a HDMI-CEC adapter for my openelec machine and it works really well, unfortunately there's no button mapped to update the library. Anyone know if that can be changed by messing with an xml file or something?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

kri kri posted:

Why not just run the library updater addon?

Do you mean this? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update

My system is in sleep mode most of the time so a periodic scan wouldn't help. I don't have library updates on wake turned on since there isn't always new stuff to find when I turn it on and library updates on my system take a very long time so I want to do them as seldom as possible.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I imagine having the area around your TV lit in colors that correspond to what's on screen is probably quite pleasant.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I bought a HDMI-CEC adapter for my openelec machine and it works really well, unfortunately there's no button mapped to update the library. Anyone know if that can be changed by messing with an xml file or something?

In case anyone runs into the same problem, I was able to reconfigure the buttons on my remote by setting up a remote.xml and putting it into "IP from my OPENELEC box/userdata/keymaps/". I used these website to learn about the possible commands:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=List_of_Built_In_Functions
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Opening_Windows_and_Dialogs

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Gunslinger posted:

Just remember that you can't resume from USB anymore.

Do you mean I can't use sleep mode (S3) when installed to a USB stick anymore?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Gunslinger posted:

I've had zero luck getting resume working with the Live installs since like beta 2 of Gotham. One of the OE devs talked about it no longer being supported awhile ago but I'm not sure if they ever changed their mind on it or not. I gave up and got a $35 SSD on Ebay instead.

Thanks for the warning, guess I'll stick with OE 3.2 for now.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

wolfbiker posted:

Because the computer is hidden away behind the TV and when it's shut off you can't turn it on from the remote control but when the computer's asleep you can wake it up with the remote?

It's not hidden away for me but you're spot on, not being able to turn it on via remote is dumb as hell.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How well does Kodi run on an Apple TV 4K? I'm getting pretty sick of my crappy Mi Box and I'm not sure if I want to get a shield.

Might wanna check out the Vero 4k at https://www.osmc.tv little less than a shield and the Kodi forums seem pretty high on it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

gabensraum posted:

Trip report: have wanted to have my kodi libraries synced for a while, and I can see the benefit to PlexKodiConnect et. al. since it's easy to set up, but since I already have everything else on my file server in docker containers, adding two new ones for mariadb and a headless version of kodi was going to be easy. So I thought I might as well, and avoid any potential addon compatibility issues with the plex or emby methods.

Works like a charm. Using kodi all over the place with no detectable latency issues, and since sonarr/radarr update the headless kodi instance any new things are immediately available on all devices.

I'm using the following images from https://tools.linuxserver.io/dockers and can recommend them all:
deluge, hydra, kodi-headless, mariadb, muximux, nzbget, radarr, sonarr

I'm interested in setting this up as we're, was there a tutorial you followed?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

gabensraum posted:

Not for the docker part, I'm afraid, since I've been using docker for a while and the groundwork was already in place. Once I'd set up the mariadb and kodi-headless containers as specified by their creators, I just followed Kodi's own guide to configure.
https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

Just so I understand this correctly, you were doing this to keep Kodi and Plex in sync right?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Kreez posted:

I've been spending too much money on HTPCs to run XBMC/Kodi for like 15 years now. I've currently got a little NUC I built only 2 years ago for hundreds of dollars gathering dust, because the little Android box my ISP sent me for free to run their budget TV service is better in nearly every way. One problem is that while it will happily do 4K in the Netflix app, Kodi struggles with even 1080p. It's watchable, but the slightest background process kicking off, or extremely high bitrate scene causes it to get choppy. I gather this is due to having newish hardware that isn't fully supported by Kodi yet

From an employee of my ISP on their forum:

I'm not clever enough to pick through Kodi development notes to see if this hardware is going to be better supported in v18. Anyone know where I'd look? Last time I asked a question vaguely like this on the XBMC forums I got screamed at for daring to bug the poor developers who do this for free and bla bla bla.

On another note, what is everyone doing with their costly x86 HTPC systems that have been made obsolete overnight by $10 Chinese Android boxes?

I believe Android is still unable to or has issues with changing the display refresh rate to match that of the video content, so non-android Kodi boxes or dedicated HTPCs still have a place at least in the enthusiast community.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is anyone else experiencing scraping problems with the movie database? I keep getting a "unable to connect to remote server" error when trying to update my library.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
More scraping issues right now:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331716

TMDB received a revocation request from the MPAA due to illegal streaming addons stealing Kodi's API key.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any recommended 3rd party remotes for Kodi? The one that came with my device broke so now I bought a FLIRC receiver to use with a different one, was thinking the official Xbox One media remote if anyone is familiar with that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can you integrate the Harmony hub stuff into Alexa routines? Like using the command "Alexa, watch movie" to dim the lights, turn on the TV, set it to HDMI 2 automatically and make the harmony remote control the kodi box instead of the TV? I got Kore installed on my phone in the meantime but as Thermopyle has said, remotes without physical buttons are very lacking to me from a usability perspective.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If you're in Europe, the Vero 4k+ is about half the price of a Shield and, since it's based on linux, doesn't have the issues that come with Android based kodi boxes:

https://osmc.tv/vero/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Falco posted:

This thread may be dead, but I'm not sure where else to post it.

It looks like our original FireTV kicked the bucket this weekend. It just refuses to turn on/be recognized by our TV, and I haven't figured out a way to resurrect it. We really just use it for streaming shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi (from a local NAS), and as a Plex player from a friend's offsite server.

What would you all recommend as a replacement box? We don't care about gaming, any sort of smart assistant, access to photos or anything like that.
A Fire Cube? Nvidia Shield? Roku?

If you're on a budget, the Vero 4K + is a bit cheaper than the Shield yet similarly capable when it comes to Kodi playback: https://osmc.tv/vero/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

TomR posted:

The Shield may be expensive, but nvidia has been updating the firmware the whole time it's been out. You aren't likely to get that kind of support from no-name Android boxes, no matter how comparable their specs are.

All of this is true and none of it applies to the Vero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My little Kodi player has broken down and I'm looking for a replacement. I assume the Shield 2019 is the best dedicated Kodi player there is? Is it worth it to get the Pro version?