Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Arvedui Last-King died ~1000 years before Aragorn's time, but the branches of Elendil's descendants diverged before the beginning of the Third Age 3000 years ago.

But as stated Gondor explicitly rejected Arvedui's claim to the throne of Gondor, because Gondor only ever recognized direct male-line rulers so the crown could not pass through his Gondorian mother Firiel. Which is why their royal family died out and was replaced by Stewards after Earnur - all the males died and there was no candidate that wasn't from a female line at some point.

Which is stupid, but there you go.

But is 1000 years or even 3000 years that long when you take into account that most of them live for around 200 years or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah, I wondered about that a bit. Did he have any other weapons at that point?

He does have a foot of blade left on Narsil below the hilt. If he does have another weapon, it isn't mentioned. The only time he fights between Bree and Rivendell is on Weathertop, and there he fights the Black Riders with fire, a wooden brand in each hand.

vvv quite correct, and again he fights with fire and wood instead of metal vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 29, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He fights at the ford kind of

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

But is 1000 years or even 3000 years that long when you take into account that most of them live for around 200 years or so?
There are still Jacobites around and that was only 400 years ago, and this with both the rise of representative democracy-ish governmental systems and the finite lifespan of mortal Men. Aragorn himself was also a solid dude so if you're gonna have a King he seems like a good one.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Imagined posted:

That was in the movie. In the books Aragorn shows the broken sword to the hobbits in the inn at Bree. "not much use, is it, Sam?"

Dang, I even googled a bit to keep the movie interpretation out of my head. Time to reread the books I guess.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
From when he leaves Rohan onwards Aragorn fights the PR battle for the hearts of the people of Gondor just as hard as he does the battle against the servants of Mordor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He had a flaming brand at the ford

Probably just a piece of wood

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
that’s just the RingVision interpretation of semi-Anduril, Shank of the West

Gandalf disagrees with me but gently caress him. How the gently caress did Aragorn and a bunch of freaking hobbits catch up with racing horses and then stop and make a fire and light torches on a river bank

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 30, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

skasion posted:

Gandalf disagrees with me but gently caress him. How the gently caress did Aragorn and a bunch of freaking hobbits catch up with racing horses and then stop and make a fire and light torches on a river bank

There were ants running across the road.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

skasion posted:

Pretty sure elvish knowledge can get a fire going as quickly as you can assemble the wood

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

skasion posted:

Having played Dead by Daylight I can confidently say that the Witch-King of Angmar got decoyed by the scratches left when Sam ran off the road to drop a deuce.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah, I wondered about that a bit. Did he have any other weapons at that point?

Apparently not, considering he attacks the ringwraiths with nothing but a flaming stick and some gumption.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also attacks them with songs and poetry

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

presumably a regular sword would not do poo poo against the ringwraiths anyway so he probably would not use it . would be pretty weird for him to be the only Ranger walking around unarmed i na setting where Tolkien makes it clear lots of people are carrying around weapons.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it would be kind of badass in a certain way if the only sword he actually had was the broken Narsil. Like kind of super nerdy also, but still badass.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like he's been using it his whole life to kill orcs and fight Easterlings and Southrons as Thorongil, just stabbing people with a foot-long tantō type thing with a square tip

Chopping wood with it to make ranger fires

Every few weeks he has to stop in at the blacksmith's to get it sharpened up, the dude's like "So... is today the day? Wanna maybe ... put the blade back on this thing? Or at least like file a point onto this short bit?"

And he just smiles and shakes his head sadly

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh so that's why they called him Longshanks!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

skasion posted:

How the gently caress did Aragorn and a bunch of freaking hobbits catch up with racing horses and then stop and make a fire and light torches on a river bank

Very carefully

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

WoodrowSkillson posted:

presumably a regular sword would not do poo poo against the ringwraiths anyway so he probably would not use it . would be pretty weird for him to be the only Ranger walking around unarmed i na setting where Tolkien makes it clear lots of people are carrying around weapons.

Yeah, I mean even the drat midgets carried weapons, but not the heir of Isildurr.

Nessus posted:

Oh so that's why they called him Longshanks!

lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

There are still Jacobites around and that was only 400 years ago, and this with both the rise of representative democracy-ish governmental systems and the finite lifespan of mortal Men. Aragorn himself was also a solid dude so if you're gonna have a King he seems like a good one.

Europe actually has a surprisingly amount of former royal families just waiting for their countries to re-establish the monarchy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Alhazred posted:

Europe actually has a surprisingly amount of former royal families just waiting for their countries to re-establish the monarchy.

Well until that happens they're just rich families preserving their fortunes from generation to generation in exactly the same way as if that fortune were "the throne", so

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

Well until that happens they're just rich families preserving their fortunes from generation to generation in exactly the same way as if that fortune were "the throne", so

They do get extra fanboy hangers-on because of the whole "royal" thing.

And some of them are... well... this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Roger_Lafosse (who owns. Go big or go home!)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/loredraws/status/1277764683525754880?s=09

Yes, yes it does

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just what exactly is going on during the whole Barrow wight section in Fellowship?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just what exactly is going on during the whole Barrow wight section in Fellowship?

i always thought that part was strange. i don't really get how frodo ends up in the barrow, did the ghost pick him up and carry him there or something? it just seems odd

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

From the way the wight was acting, and the way one of the other hobbits reacted when awakened, I got the impression that they were mind-controlled to get in the graves, by convincing them that they were the long-dead warriors that were supposed to be buried there.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

but just before he passes out he sees a shadow coming down over him or something like that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The lich king animated them long back. They are still around

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gnoman posted:

From the way the wight was acting, and the way one of the other hobbits reacted when awakened, I got the impression that they were mind-controlled to get in the graves, by convincing them that they were the long-dead warriors that were supposed to be buried there.

Yeah, it’s this. They fall asleep, are enchanted by the power of the barrow (they try to leave but are unable to keep going away from it), and are put into a trance state in which they reenact the burial of the lords entombed there (to be followed by their ritual sacrifice).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kind of hosed up that the Hobbits have a Dead by Daylight LARP session before they even get to Bree yet people just kind of skim over that, possibly due to its proximity to Tom Bombadil, who is not Canon or Serious.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
the barrow wights are fascinating and creepy and I wish we knew more about them, I know "wights" are a thing irl but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They’re just dead guys who worship Satan

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“Wight” just means “guy”

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

"Beware the barrow-dudes" just doesn't have the same ring.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I couldn't care less about some dead wight guys

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Data Graham posted:

“Wight” just means “guy”

So the Isle of Wight and the Isle of Mann are the same place :aaaaa:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Well I've read that the barrow-wights were just evil spirits who flew into a nice old tomb of ancient men and then inhabited and animated their skeletons and armor to do evil stuff.

But the whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense. The hobbits get lost in fog and then a wight or wights hypnotize Sam, Pippin, and Merry and carry them into the tomb and undress them and redress them in wight finery but also Frodo got carried in there and then just sort of dumped on the ground?? Wights are loving stupid.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's Merry who doesn't immediately recover and still remembers the life of an ancient man who got killed by dudes from Carn Dum, who were followers of the witch king of Angmar, who Merry eventually helps to kill on the Pelennor. That's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wight lives matter.