Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

I would guess that a pretty significant fraction of people’s first exposure to The Hobbit was from someone reading it to them

Oh yeah my mom did that

She tried to read me LOTR afterwards but the Nazgul creeped me out too much and I didn't pick the book up for myself until my early teens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Reread LotR and I got a chuckle out of Saruman saying that the orc calls him sharkû and that it's possible that it's a respected title when in reality it's just an orkish word meaning "old man".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Reread LotR and I got a chuckle out of Saruman saying that the orc calls him sharkû and that it's possible that it's a respected title when in reality it's just an orkish word meaning "old man".

I also like that bit but I always read it as Saruman saying it with a bit of self-awareness and irony.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saruman doesn't know what those words mean though. I also liked that Gandalf started suspecting that something was going on the Shire when he noticed that Saruman had Shire leaf in Orthanc. But probably didn't aired those suspicion because it would probably distract the hobbits and scouring the Shire wasn't part of his mission.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alhazred posted:

And then he starts calling himself "Sharkey" after he goes to the Shire.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Again, though, people often adopt slurs and pejoratives to describe themselves.

To me if you end a sentence with "possibly", you're expressing doubt about what you just said, especially in the context of talking about your own slaves: "Possibly a sign of affection" vs "A sign of affection possibly."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I read "Sharkey" as being not entirely unlike "Gaffer"; a double-edged term of endearment, both respectful and patronising according to taste, for a much-reduced creaking old fart who now holds court for all and sundry (the latter being those who could not go out by another gate) so the Kids These Days can benefit from hearing his epic storytelling of his former glories.

Aaaah, there goes Sharkey again, bless, remember when he sent the host to Helm's Deep? Those were the days. Wish he wouldn't go on quite as much about them when there's still work to be done putting up these sheds, he loves the sound of his own voice you know...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah, I could totally see an organization where the boss is called "the old man" in english as a neutral, mixed, or endearing nickname. It doesn't have to be an insult.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

NikkolasKing posted:

Also by the time of the Third Age the old powers are pretty much waning and all but gone. Durin's Bane is the only other corrutped Maia we know of and it's stated Sauron knew of it but wasn't gonna try and mess with him or recruit him.

Been a while since I read the books; where/when is it explicitly stated that Sauron was aware of Durin's Bane?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Been a while since I read the books; where/when is it explicitly stated that Sauron was aware of Durin's Bane?

there were some mordor orcs visiting moria when the fellowship got there, but i don't recall how early did he know

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Dwarves getting thrown out of Moria was a major incident in the Third Age and the Balrog must have been notable enough in the annals to have earned the name Durin's Bane. Sauron probably knew one way or another that there was a great power beneath the earth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ChubbyChecker posted:

there were some mordor orcs visiting moria when the fellowship got there, but i don't recall how early did he know

Sauron sent a force of orcs to Moria the fifth year after Balin arrived (so, 2994) as per the Book of Mazarbul. However, the Tale of Years says Sauron began to send “his creatures” to Moria around 2480 as part of his plan to shut down traffic between Wilderland and the West. By that time the balrog had been up and about for 500 years, so if Sauron didn’t know about it by then, you’d have to assume he found out as a result.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If Gandalf hadn't caused the balrog to fall into the abyss, do you think it would have left Moria? Like, presumably it would have continued chasing the fellowship and captured/killed all of them and taken the ring, right? But would it have gone like "aight, back to my dungeon"? Or like... something else.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like you don't hide in a cave for 6000 years and then emerge into the sunlight just because you're extra mad at some intruders. If the fellowship had escaped but the Balrog was still alive, I imagine it would have annoyedly let them go

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like you don't hide in a cave for 6000 years and then emerge into the sunlight just because you're extra mad at some intruders. If the fellowship had escaped but the Balrog was still alive, I imagine it would have annoyedly let them go

The question is whether it would have gone after the ring. Maybe, but I think even a Balrog would think twice about going into Lothlorien without the having the ring beforehand.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SHISHKABOB posted:

If Gandalf hadn't caused the balrog to fall into the abyss, do you think it would have left Moria? Like, presumably it would have continued chasing the fellowship and captured/killed all of them and taken the ring, right? But would it have gone like "aight, back to my dungeon"? Or like... something else.

the real question is would it have flown back to it's dungeon or walked

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

depends on how foolish it is

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Balrog might not have even known what the ring was. It was in hiding long before Sauron even crafted the rings.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

The Balrog might not have even known what the ring was. It was in hiding long before Sauron even crafted the rings.

the balrog wasn't stronger than sam, so he would have coveted it

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It certainly seems to be picking up that there's something powerful coming through; whether that's "Maia hidden in meat casing" or "Maia power forged into artefact" or both is probably up for argument.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

the thing was just having a nap and got really cranky when some fool of a tuk woke them up

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Gats Akimbo posted:

It certainly seems to be picking up that there's something powerful coming through; whether that's "Maia hidden in meat casing" or "Maia power forged into artefact" or both is probably up for argument.

We know Gandalf passed through Moria prior to Fellowship, but I don't remember if a particular date was ever established for that journey--I want to say maybe it was during the hunt for Gollum? In any event, the context strongly implies that it was after Durin's Bane was wakened and that Gandalf didn't face it then, so I think it's safe to assume it was probably drawn to the Ring.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

If the Watcher could sense the ring, the Balrog probably could as well.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

GimpInBlack posted:

We know Gandalf passed through Moria prior to Fellowship, but I don't remember if a particular date was ever established for that journey--I want to say maybe it was during the hunt for Gollum? In any event, the context strongly implies that it was after Durin's Bane was wakened and that Gandalf didn't face it then, so I think it's safe to assume it was probably drawn to the Ring.

From the start of A Journey in the Dark, after they retreat from Caradhras.

quote:

I will tread the path with you, Gandalf!’ said Gimli. ‘I will go and look on the halls of Durin, whatever may wait there – if you can find the doors that are shut.’

‘Good, Gimli!’ said Gandalf. ‘You encourage me. We will seek the hidden doors together. And we will come through. In the ruins of the Dwarves, a dwarf’s head will be less easy to bewilder than Elves or Men or Hobbits. Yet it will not be the first time that I have been to Moria. I sought there long for Thráin son of Thrór after he was lost. I passed through, and I came out again alive!’

‘I too once passed the Dimrill Gate,’ said Aragorn quietly; ‘but though I also came out again, the memory is very evil. I do not wish to enter Moria a second time.

Gandalf would have come through separately, on the road that eventually led him to Dol Guldur. The Tale of Years has Gandalf in Dol Guldur with Thrain in TA 2860; one presumes he went to Moria shortly before.

When Aragorn may have gone in and why is unclear; he does confirm that he was not with Gandalf at the time, when he bolsters everyone's spirit by telling them that Gandalf's sense of direction is better than the cats of Queen Beruthiel.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

After Aragorn left the service of Ecthelion in Gondor he journeyed up the east bank of the Anduin and spent some time in Lorien. That’s the only time we can place him firmly in the vicinity of Moria before the book starts, and it’s before Balin showed up, so that’s probably when he had his unpleasant visit.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Trin Tragula posted:

From the start of A Journey in the Dark, after they retreat from Caradhras.

Gandalf would have come through separately, on the road that eventually led him to Dol Guldur. The Tale of Years has Gandalf in Dol Guldur with Thrain in TA 2860; one presumes he went to Moria shortly before.

When Aragorn may have gone in and why is unclear; he does confirm that he was not with Gandalf at the time, when he bolsters everyone's spirit by telling them that Gandalf's sense of direction is better than the cats of Queen Beruthiel.

Thanks for the cite--I was 99% sure it wasn't some weird edge case where Gandalf went to Moria in like the 16th century and hung out with the Dwarves, but I couldn't remember the exact reference and wikis were failing me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You would think Gandalf would notice the presence of giant loving balrog while going through Moria. Even Aragorn knows something not right in that mine.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

No one knew it was actually a Balrog and Gandalf didnt have any specific reason to suspect it was so he probably thought it was some other primordial evil thing that had always dwelled deep under the mountains.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Saruman probably knew.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saruman had probably already approached it with plans for overthrowing Sauron and make him the lord of the rings. He also probably mistook the balrog being:rolleyes: with it being:hai:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GimpInBlack posted:

Thanks for the cite--I was 99% sure it wasn't some weird edge case where Gandalf went to Moria in like the 16th century and hung out with the Dwarves, but I couldn't remember the exact reference and wikis were failing me.

I feel like there is 0 chance gandalf had not toured Moria in its heyday, he likely knew it decently well from that time. The istari arrived in what, like TA 1000, and Moria falls around a thousand years later.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I feel like there is 0 chance gandalf had not toured Moria in its heyday, he likely knew it decently well from that time. The istari arrived in what, like TA 1000, and Moria falls around a thousand years later.

If that's so, how come it takes him so long to get into the West-gate?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Trin Tragula posted:

his love of the halflings' leaf

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Trin Tragula posted:

i dunno man, it takes him 30 years to figure out isildur died wearing the ring, gandalf fucks up sometimes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Trin Tragula posted:

He says they used to leave it open.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gats Akimbo posted:

He says they used to leave it open.

That’s true, but his actual reason for not getting how it works is even funnier: he came through the other way, east to west. Turns out that from inside you just need to push

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skasion posted:

That’s true, but his actual reason for not getting how it works is even funnier: he came through the other way, east to west. Turns out that from inside you just need to push

WHO CLOSED THE DOORS BEHIND HIM

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oracle posted:

the orcs duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

They're magic doors so they probably close automatically after a time?

Or the Orcs did it, yeah.