Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Blood Boils posted:

Aragorn and Arwen are cousins

Elrond, Arwen's father, is the twin brother of Aragorn's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather.

Their kinship is far more cultural & historical than biological.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anshu posted:

Elrond, Arwen's father, is the twin brother of Aragorn's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather.

Their kinship is far more cultural & historical than biological.

They say that everybody of European descent is descended from Charlemagne, and that was only like 1000 years ago... I don't look at a painting of Charlemagne's court and say "ah, my cousins!"

Aragorn was born over 6000 years after Elrond & Elros. Probably just about everyone in Gondor was equally as much Arwen's "cousin" as Aragorn was.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pham Nuwen posted:

They say that everybody of European descent is descended from Charlemagne, and that was only like 1000 years ago... I don't look at a painting of Charlemagne's court and say "ah, my cousins!"

Aragorn was born over 6000 years after Elrond & Elros. Probably just about everyone in Gondor was equally as much Arwen's "cousin" as Aragorn was.

Friend of mine got into genealogy and was all "Hay look who I'm descended from!! :dance:"

I was like .....buddy

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah that's what I was getting at.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anshu posted:

Yeah that's what I was getting at.

When I drafted that post I wasn't sure it was clear enough that I agreed with you... my fears are realized: I was 100% in agreement with your post.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Tripping over yourselves to defend gross royalty elves, smh

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I like their story as told in the RotK appendix but I also like pretending Elrond said “yeah you can marry my hot, old daughter… if you’re the king of the whole world” as a kind of goof then he loving does it. I guess that’s too close to Thingol though. I guess that’s the big difference: they both set a seemingly impossible bride price but Elrond actually grooms helps him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Elrond is more closely related to Thingol than he is to Aragorn. He also grew up in the middle of the wreckage created by Thingol’s fuckery, he knew what he was doing and it wasn’t a joke. I don’t have the book in front of me but right before he says “you can’t marry my daughter unless you restore the kingship” he has one of those lines where he implies he’s doing what he hopes is God’s will.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, Olsen covered that in some detail (surprise). His stance is that Elrond is basically saying "well if there's still a world to be king OF, then sure you can marry my daughter".

Like him becoming king implies that Sauron's been defeated and only then is it worth even talking about planning a wedding.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The big difference, of course, is that Thingol gave Beren a task he thought was impossible, Elrond is setting Aragorn a task he is hoping is not impossible. Elrond is actually putting his faith in Aragorn.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Also Thingol is a dick head.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Dancing around his craftsmen "betcha can't murder me nah nah!"

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

sweet geek swag posted:

The big difference, of course, is that Thingol gave Beren a task he thought was impossible, Elrond is setting Aragorn a task he is hoping is not impossible. Elrond is actually putting his faith in Aragorn.

That strikes me as particularly appropriate, given that Aragorn grew up umder the name "Estel".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Elrond is also explicitly established in the story as THE loremaster in Middle Earth and he’d be not only intimately familiar with everything that’s historically happened since the world was created but understand the deeper implications of it all. Specifically the role of fate/providence in shaping what is and might be. During the Council of Elrond chapter he outright says that it is surely no lucky coincidence that such an assemblage of important people ended up in Rivendale at the same time despite each having an entirely different and seemingly unrelated reason behind it. So he’s a dude who clearly trusts that Eru in some shape or form still works to at least offer the Free Peoples a path to win against Sauron. So when he gave Aragorn his ultimatum regarding Arwen he did not consider it some hopeless task.

Thingol on the other hand was an insular dickhead uninterested in the comings and goings of anything outside Doriath and figured he could get around his promise to not kill Beren by making him do something that will surely do the dirty work for him.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Elrond is also explicitly established in the story as THE loremaster in Middle Earth and he’d be not only intimately familiar with everything that’s historically happened since the world was created but understand the deeper implications of it all. Specifically the role of fate/providence in shaping what is and might be. During the Council of Elrond chapter he outright says that it is surely no lucky coincidence that such an assemblage of important people ended up in Rivendale at the same time despite each having an entirely different and seemingly unrelated reason behind it. So he’s a dude who clearly trusts that Eru in some shape or form still works to at least offer the Free Peoples a path to win against Sauron. So when he gave Aragorn his ultimatum regarding Arwen he did not consider it some hopeless task.

Thingol on the other hand was an insular dickhead uninterested in the comings and goings of anything outside Doriath and figured he could get around his promise to not kill Beren by making him do something that will surely do the dirty work for him.

I actually think Thingol just expected Beren to give up. If he'd actually wanted Beren to die I think he'd have been angry when Beren returned handless, instead he actually seemed to be ashamed of his actions. That being said, Thingol wasn't exactly the sort of guy to dwell on the potential consequences of his actions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's all true, but on another level it's fun to step back a bit and think about how the fairy-story tradition Tolkien was playing off of was always from the perspective of a lost human getting abducted or tricked by elves, whereas stuff like the character portrait of Thingol let us think of it from his POV, and see his character flaws for what they are. To the abducted humans the actions of the elves surely always seemed inscrutable, doing things that seemed pettily vengeful or provincial or just malicious, not befitting their stature as royal supernatural figures; but maybe that's just because the elves they happened to meet were venal jealous dicks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

I actually think Thingol just expected Beren to give up. If he'd actually wanted Beren to die I think he'd have been angry when Beren returned handless, instead he actually seemed to be ashamed of his actions. That being said, Thingol wasn't exactly the sort of guy to dwell on the potential consequences of his actions.

I think it was Luthien escaping her imprisonment to go rescue Beren and then returning with him in the end that really caused Thingol to chill out. Especially because Beren told Thingol all the incredibly badass stuff they had done in the quest when he first got back. If Beren had just left and came back having been successful without Luthien having a role in it I doubt Thingol would have been so happy.

And remember, a key turning point is when the two sons of Feanor show up claiming that they have her held captive and essentially demanding that Luthien be betrothed to one of them. And Thingol hated Feanor and his brood far more than Beren. He was preparing to go to war with Nagathrond when Beren returned. And during Beren’s account of all that had occurred he obviously talked about how he took an arrow to the chest to protect Luthien from being shot by one of the sons (I forget which one). That’ll impress a possessive dad.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 2, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pretty sure it was Caranthir who shot Beren. He and Curufin were the two biggest jackasses out of the surviving Sons.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Pretty sure it was Caranthir who shot Beren. He and Curufin were the two biggest jackasses out of the surviving Sons.

But drat, what a contest. Even Maedhros had his moments. Though we don't know if the twins did anything dickish. In some versions didn't one or both of them die in Losgar?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

A Moose posted:

But drat, what a contest. Even Maedhros had his moments. Though we don't know if the twins did anything dickish. In some versions didn't one or both of them die in Losgar?

Amrod gets roasted in the ship-burning yes. It’s an etymological touch to explain why his name means “Fated”. In Shibboleth of Feanor I think

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Moose posted:

The twins participated in the sacking of Sirion and died there iirc.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah, Amrod getting crispy-crittered happened in a very late partial rewrite that didn't make it into the published Silmarillion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The real question is how many of Aragorn's ancestors did Elrond promise Arwen to previously?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sassassin posted:

The real question is how many of Aragorn's ancestors did Elrond promise Arwen to previously?

Not many, she hung out with her cool grandma in Lorien most of the time.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

sassassin posted:

'Father! How many of these mortal stiff's are you going to set me up with?'

'Look. One of them is bound to come good eventually. We just need to keep rolling the dice'

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Literally said over the guy’s creaking 102 year old corpse

“gently caress, again?”

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Aragorn fared a little better than his father Arathorn who got killed by taking an Orc arrow to the god damned eye. Poor guy.

Arathorn's father was captured by Hill Trolls lol.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just a line of bumbling doofuses who just live long enough to sire an heir before getting killed.

The Florida Men of Middle Earth.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 4, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Friends, as we gather upon the Aralawn to Aramourn our dear friend Arathorn, our hearts feel Aratorn; but we gain some measure of comfort from knowing that an heir has been Araborn, who in time shall be Arasworn to continue the work of the Rangers. Let us conclude the ceremony by blowing the Arahorn!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ara- is westron for Bat-

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Members of the house of Hador and their Dunedain descendants take more arrows to the eye than Skyrim guards take to the knees.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Aragorn's stated reasoning for taking the Paths of the Dead instead of riding with the Rohirrim to Minas Tirith is that he's in too big a hurry: the Rohirrim won't come there soon enough, and the Paths of the Dead will be faster. Of course, it also turns out that by going that way he also liberates the coastal cities and brings reinforcements to lift the siege, but those are only incidental, not the initial reason he went that way.

And yet he arrives there after Theoden and the rest. If all he really wanted was to get there as fast as possible, he'd have literally been better off riding with the main host.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Imagined posted:

Aragorn's stated reasoning for taking the Paths of the Dead instead of riding with the Rohirrim to Minas Tirith is that he's in too big a hurry: the Rohirrim won't come there soon enough, and the Paths of the Dead will be faster. Of course, it also turns out that by going that way he also liberates the coastal cities and brings reinforcements to lift the siege, but those are only incidental, not the initial reason he went that way.

And yet he arrives there after Theoden and the rest. If all he really wanted was to get there as fast as possible, he'd have literally been better off riding with the main host.
Would you have wanted to tell Theoden that you're ditching him to gamble everything on a longshot to try and shame some angry ghosts into doing something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WHAT did we learn about shortcuts??

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah, he only tells his boys about the prophecy. He even only hints at it to Éowyn. He knows what he’s doing and has seen their impending doom if he doesn’t stop the corsairs. If the horse lords could have mustered more and more quickly then they might have beaten the orc host prior to the arrival of the black ships but that wasn’t gonna happen.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

Yeah, he only tells his boys about the prophecy. He even only hints at it to Éowyn. He knows what he’s doing and has seen their impending doom if he doesn’t stop the corsairs. If the horse lords could have mustered more and more quickly then they might have beaten the orc host prior to the arrival of the black ships but that wasn’t gonna happen.

Yeah when he looks in the palantir he sees some poo poo and decides to change his course and take the paths. He not only sees that but he also has Elrond's sons show up who basically also tell him in so many words to take those paths.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah Elrond’s sons and the Grey Company show up and relay a message from Elrond that Aragorn must take the paths of the dead or everything is going to go to poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah Elrond’s sons and the Grey Company show up and relay a message from Elrond that Aragorn must take the paths of the dead or everything is going to go to poo poo.

Interestingly, it's not the first time it was suggested to him. When the resurrected Gandalf stayed in Lothlorien for a while to get his bearings, Galadriel sent him on his way with messages for Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Aragorn's message has a reference to the Paths of the Dead that makes me wonder if she was the original source of that bit of foresight:

The Two Towers posted:

Where now are the Dúnedain, Elessar, Elessar?
Why do thy kinsfolk wander afar?
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth,
And the Grey Company ride from the North.
But dark is the path appointed for thee:
The Dead watch the road that leads to the Sea.

If she was also keeping in touch with Elrond then he might have seen fit to reinforce the message a little more bluntly, but Aragorn might already have been thinking about it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I assume there’s some kind of elvish ring bearer group chat where they plan this cryptic stuff. No one responds to Saruman in the white council chat anymore and he knows what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Imagined posted:

Theoden and co. also do a truly legendary fast arrival between just doing it well and cooperating with the natives to avoid Mordor's rear guard, though. Aragorn has good reason to think the Paths will be faster, even if it turns out not to be.