Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

keep punching joe posted:

What are the stars in Tolkienverse? They seem to function the same way, there's descriptions of constellations and individual stars that match with our own (Northern hemisphere), and Aragon I think mentions that the stars in the South are different.

The original myth is that they are just pretty lights put up there by Varda, hence her epithet “star-kindler”. Later Tolkien considered this to be a purely mythic explanation and contrived alternative explanation which agrees more closely with fact—the stars are stars, heavenly objects with spirits of fire living inside them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i was being facetious earlier but this does drill down to my own personal choice to mostly ignore and not acknowledge the "real history" aspect of Tolkien's work and just treat it as a separate fantasy universe. Tolkien himself struggled to square everything, and to me everything makes far more sense as an isolated world created by Gods and their parent God.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

Arda encompasses the whole solar system so you’re good until you hit the heliopause, I guess?

That depends a lot on your definition of solar system. The gravitational influence of the sun extends far beyond that before it's superseded by that of other stars.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

keep punching joe posted:

What are the stars in Tolkienverse? They seem to function the same way, there's descriptions of constellations and individual stars that match with our own (Northern hemisphere), and Aragon I think mentions that the stars in the South are different.

one of them is just some guy on a space boat

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I realize that throwing shade on heroes is very on-brand for Gandalf, but I never caught before that he calls Theoden "Theoden the Old" straight to his face, and as far as I know he's the only person in the book to refer to Theoden by that title lol

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 30, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Old" has many meanings and Gandalf meant all of them at once, I suppose.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Just long delayed revenge for naming him Bad News Gandalf

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

skasion posted:

Bad News Gandalf

Now that's a username idea

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Imagined posted:

I realize that throwing shade on heroes is very on-brand for Gandalf, but I never caught before that he calls Theoden "Theoden the Old" straight to his face, and as far as I know he's the only person in the book to refer to do Theoden by that title lol

It’s a good goof to summarize the history of Rohan as “all the years from Eorl the Young to Theoden the Old”, classic Bad News Gandalf

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Just long delayed revenge for naming him Bad News Gandalf

I had never really thought about how hilarious it is that Theoden basically pulls a Trump on Gandalf by giving him a lovely nickname. Sleepy Gandalf is at it again.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ginette Reno posted:

I had never really thought about how hilarious it is that Theoden basically pulls a Trump on Gandalf by giving him a lovely nickname. Sleepy Gandalf is at it again.

you have it backward, Trump talks like that because he's translating from the original Anglo-Saxon

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Meduseld must always be a safe and special place. The followers of Gandalf Lathspell were very rude last night to a very good man, Gríma. Apologize!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I choose to read Sam's "I'll have that slave-driving devil anyway" as implying that Sam even feels some sympathy for the orcs who are being driven along with himself and Frodo, or at least recognizes a slave-driver as even worse than a typical orc, even if he's only commanding other orcs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Imagined posted:

I choose to read Sam's "I'll have that slave-driving devil anyway" as implying that Sam even feels some sympathy for the orcs who are being driven along with himself and Frodo, or at least recognizes a slave-driver as even worse than a typical orc, even if he's only commanding other orcs.

He's sympathetic that they don't have a kind Master to serve like he does.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwjoV_2JcZ0

Teaser for a teaser. Sauron taking notes from Sigmar and traveling by comet?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwjoV_2JcZ0

Teaser for a teaser. Sauron taking notes from Sigmar and traveling by comet?

yay black elves/dwarves/characters!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looks pretty bland and safe!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

euphronius posted:

Looks pretty bland and safe!!!

You want bland and safe? This is bland, safe and about 19 years out of date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYrJdAdi1WI

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It really does seem like, other than the graphics, like straight out of the Xbox 360 era.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So how many cliff faces overhung with waterfalls falling into a pool below are there in Ithilien that just blindfolding people on the way there would prevent them from finding it again or telling someone else where it is?

Imagine someone blindfolded you and led you to Yosemite Falls before uncovering your eyes. Don't you think you could describe the place afterwards well enough for someone else to find it if someone forced you?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Imagined posted:

So how many cliff faces overhung with waterfalls falling into a pool below are there in Ithilien that just blindfolding people on the way there would prevent them from finding it again or telling someone else where it is?

Imagine someone blindfolded you and led you to Yosemite Falls before uncovering your eyes. Don't you think you could describe the place afterwards well enough for someone else to find it if someone forced you?

It might work if the waterfall itself is shielded from view, e.g., being in an enclosed valley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U5Wa8igaDs&t=705s

But of course, with flying Nazgûl running air reconnaissance, that wouldn't last forever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ithilien is (was) way bigger than Yosemite also.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, more like the whole length of the Sierra Nevada. There's tons of rivers and waterfalls in there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember this is a continent.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
What's up with those watcher dudes in cirith ungol? Were they magic stones or actual magic dudes?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

What's up with those watcher dudes in cirith ungol? Were they magic stones or actual magic dudes?

They’re stone statues with a spirit or spirits inside. More machine than man imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Sentient stones imo, similar to the sentient trees of the Old Forest.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk

The Oath of Feanor at 2:01? :eyepop:

Also, they released a photoshoot of the Numenorean cast yesterday.

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1547412542154162176

From left to right, they are named as Pharazon's son Kemen, Queen Miriel, Pharazon, Elendil, and Elendil's children Earien and Isildur.

Entertainment Weekly helpfully adds that Anarion exists in the show, but is off screen. I guess that's good. I was afraid he'd been replaced.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 14, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can buy that as Pharazon for sure

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Looks good! Not thrilled about that Crouching Tiger/Matrix move at 2:02 but everything else seems solid.

And Galadriel's references to what she's "seen": Dagor Bragollach or War of Wrath?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i am so mad that i got excited for that GOD DAMMIT

The "scaled" armor looks like absolute dogshit though and is obviously plastic which is a glaring lazy out

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Holy poo poo that looks boring.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Data Graham posted:

I can buy that as Pharazon for sure

Yeah he looks great. Interesting that he’s named as regent Miriel’s “advisor”, so we’ll get to see a palace coup driven by Annatar/Sauron which is pretty cool.

Oh and I know this goes without saying since Twitter is a cesspit at the best of times, but 100% avoid reading any of the replies or comments. OMG SO WOKE, WHY CHINESE IN NUMENOR, etc

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the number of people who have literally created an image of everyone being blonde and white in Tolkien is loving bizarre and so loving stupid. he barely ever gives physical descriptions of that type, and Numenor and subsequently Gondor were literally Mediterranean-climate kingdoms and should therefore the people would look like Italians, Greeks, Syrians, etc.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

webmeister posted:

Oh and I know this goes without saying since Twitter is a cesspit at the best of times, but 100% avoid reading any of the replies or comments. OMG SO WOKE, WHY CHINESE IN NUMENOR, etc

It's been very funny watching the various FB Tolkien fan groups have to hold constitutional conventions for rules and/or just schism completely over the show

Yes, I have a Facebook in 2022. I deleted about 4 years ago but job made me reactivate for "networking" reasons. :rolleyes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean you've got the whole Vanyar/Noldor/Teleri physical descriptions being pretty explicit, and I would actually say it's not true that he "seldom" gives physical/phenotypical descriptions of Men or Hobbits or everyone; it's kind of a characteristic of his writing.

What is true is that these specific details are hardly important to the story, and they can change them all they want as long as it doesn't literally impact plot points (i.e. make them not make sense narratively).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is Sauron hot

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I mean you've got the whole Vanyar/Noldor/Teleri physical descriptions being pretty explicit, and I would actually say it's not true that he "seldom" gives physical/phenotypical descriptions of Men or Hobbits or everyone; it's kind of a characteristic of his writing.

What is true is that these specific details are hardly important to the story, and they can change them all they want as long as it doesn't literally impact plot points (i.e. make them not make sense narratively).

yeah maybe i was going a bit too far but in general he does not do hard and fast "they ALL look like X", and for many major characters details like hair color, etc are not even given.

and then to the major point, it does not matter anyway since even if tolkien said something its a meaningless detail.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

he's wreathed in flame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's Trees stuff and Helcaraxë stuff, and I'm super down for all those sweeping establishing shots and cities and things. There's a lot of "bigness" in this that seems like on another level from the WoT show.