Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Gandalf and Saruman only really have the power to manipulate others, Saruman with his words and Gandalf with his presence. To me it's fairly clear that Saruman's voice is so powerful it even works on Gandalf, right up until the point where Gandalf is taken prisoner (hence why he doubts Saruman but doesn't actually do anything about it until much later).

I find all the "wizard duel" stuff in the movies really off-putting, particularly that scene in Fellowship where Gandalf and Saruman fight. I actually find Galadriel-as-barely-contained-sorcerer to be more believable and in keeping with the books than wizard fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Spoilers Below posted:

Because Sam doesn't want it.

That's what I've thought, anyways. Out of all the various people in the book, every-loving-body Frodo meets wants the Ring for themselves, or is at least tempted very strongly. Gandalf, Gollum, Galadriel, Boromir... Even Frodo himself wants to keep the thing, in the end. But not Sam. He just wanted to meet some Elves, throw the thing into the volcano, and go home. :unsmith:

I think it also demonstrates Sam's psyche - he's so ingrained in his "I'm just a servant" mentality that he sees straight through the Ring's illusions. It shows him the hero he could be thanks to the Ring, and he knows pretty much instantly that it's entirely false and so rejects it completely.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

UoI posted:

Yeah, like holy wow I've seen a clip of it somewhere of just her acting the scene out and I got serious goose bumps.

I realise this is from a while back, but have you got a link to this? I'm coming up with nothing :(

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Revisiting Silmarillion-chat from a few days ago, I've actually always thought the story of Numenor would make a good movie. Especially if you got a really charismatic actor to play Sauron. Lots of great political drama between him, the king and Elendil, tense moments as the kingdom gradually falls apart, huge action set-pieces as the Numenoreans assault first Mordor, then later the lands of the Valar. And of course the huge wave that destroys the island, followed by the requisite happy ending with the founding of the kingdoms in exile.

If you wanted to tie it in to the LOTR movies, you could even frame it with Aragorn telling the tale to his son. Who wouldn't want to watch that?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I actually really like Akallabeth. I've always felt it was the best fleshed-out part of the Silmarillion, possibly because it has the most "real" feeling of the stories and most similar in prose to LOTR.

I reckon you could make a pretty good movie out of it, especially if you got a really charismatic actor to play Sauron.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Aren't most mythological stories ultimately tragedies rather than happy endings though? And as that's what Tolkien was obviously aiming for (with both LOTR and his other writings), it sort of stands to reason that his myths would be tragic as well?

Despite the victories of Aragorn's crowning, Sauron's defeat, Sam/Merry/Pippin running the Shire etc, in LOTR there's a very strong sense of tragedy and decline, that the world is permanently worse off overall, as the elves are leaving. And of course Frodo lays down his life in the final chapter to finally achieve peace.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Kassad posted:

Later on, in Moria, Gandalf uses a spell to keep a door closed against the Balrog. Probably he could also use a spell to blow open the door of a dungeon cell. He can't fly on his own, though.

The Balrog uses a counter-spell to force the door open (the door can't take the strain of the two competing spells and bursts into pieces), so that's definitely a thing that Can Happen.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Having Dikembe Mutombo sized elves towering over everyone else would look ridiculous though. I think the relative character heights from the movies are fine, in that Legolas is (barely) tallest, followed by Gandalf/Aragorn/Boromir at roughly the same height. The hobbits are all about the same, and Gimli's a bit taller than them.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

The line, "Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van" confused the hell out of me as a kid. Why hadn't the van been mentioned before? Wasn't it really bumpy driving over the plain? Where were they getting the petrol?

This is amazing.

I think the only genuine anachronism that slipped through in LOTR is where Gandalf's dragon firework "passed over Bywater like an express train", which always stuck out to me like a sore thumb. Once you notice it, you can't un-notice it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Murgos posted:

Well, "train" has been around a lot longer than the locomotive. Maybe he mean a long train of wagons pulled by oxen at 2 or 3 mph? One that's not stopping at this station just, you know, more slowly?

Or possibly express as in being pulled by fast horses rather than plodding oxen? Dozens of fast horses pulling metal wheeled wagons at 10-12 mph would be a hell of a racket and quite scary to rural shire folk.

It's not a particularly apt metaphor for magical firework rockets whizzing past your head though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Levitate posted:

we could also probably enjoy some dope rear end books and not jerk off about the few anachronisms the author left in them (though I'm sure this thread is down with that)

We can do both, OP

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Murgos posted:

Lightning bolt? Avalanche? The sound Fatty Bolger makes when cannonballing into the Brandywine?

You fool, that's what got us into this mess in the first place!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Would happily cut someone's hand off for this

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Wait, wasn't the writing on the inside of the Ring? This picture may be tricksy...

It glowed so much you could see it from the outside!!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

ZeusJupitar posted:

When I first read The Hobbit I imagined a newt-man, complete with snout and tail.

The first time I read The Hobbit, it was a paperback with a picture of Smaug on the front cover. It was fairly abstract too, not entirely clear that it was supposed to be a dragon.

So I read most of the first couple of chapters assuming that Bilbo was supposed to look like the thing on the front cover :v:

In my defence, I was about 9 years old at the time

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I was thinking about this today, actually. A friend of mine (who I've definitely mentioned before) has been rattling on for years about the Wheel of Time, taking any opportunity (as he did again this weekend) to segue the conversation into how much he enjoys that series and by contrast how much he hates LotR. Along with the "Jordan was actually in war, so his battles actually feel real, unlike some people" that I've talked about already, another point was "Jordan wasn't afraid to have ablative characters, like here's one guy you've been following along with the whole time and whoops, he just got his eye gouged out! Or this other guy, let's blow his hand off! And you'd think they're going to reset it somehow, but they don't!"

And I decided not to say something snarky like "Yeah, nothing like that ever happened to Frodo". Because even though at his goading I went and read the whole drat WoT series earlier this year, and even though I have a million negative things to say about it and counterexamples to his accusations about Tolkien (one of which was "It's just the same old cliché elves and dragons and unicorns and poo poo"), I realize that the more important thing to take from the conversation is that all he's trying to do here is get me into his world. And I can respect that. This is him showing a chink in his armor, allowing himself to be an obsessive nerd about something potentially embarrassing for a macho-man type to be into. I'm not about to start laying into him about it.

Your friend sounds like kind of a moron to be honest. Genuinely - why does he think one set of battles is more realistic than the other? It's not like he's been in a faux-medieval battle to judge! And criticising someone who essentially invented a genre for being unoriginal and cliche, really? That honestly makes no sense.

Tolkien definitely isn't perfect and neither is LOTR, but in another context those arguments would basically just be console warrior bullshit and derided as such.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Would it have been a mistake to have Frodo and Sam die on Mount Doom? Apart from making the LotR sadder, would it thematically or in terms of morality diminished the story?

Frodo essentially dies on Mount Doom anyway, he doesn't really do anything afterwards aside from making Sam his heir and going to the Havens (which is an allegory for death).

Sam dying I think would be a mistake, his journey is about development, growth and self-discovery and I think thematically his death wouldn't make sense. Though he does die at the end of the appendices so

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

VanSandman posted:

After a long, fulfilling life of scholarly work (Sam works on the Red Book, right?) and peaceful political leadership.

Well yeah but that's what I mean - he wouldn't have accomplished any of that if not for his experiences with Frodo, and as a fitting conclusion to his story it makes more sense thematically than having them die together on Mount Doom.

I've always understood the whole "ship into Valinor" thing for mortals as an allegory for death and the journey to heaven/the afterlife, is that not the case? And in the movie they even give Frodo's internal description of Valinor ("far green country under a swift sunrise") to Gandalf, who uses it to describe death to Pippin during the siege of Minas Tirith.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

No, Valinor was a real island, the seat of the Valar and most of the elves. Though after the second age it was made impossible to get to via regular means for mortals, save for special circumstances.

Yeah I know that it physically exists but was removed from Arda after the attempted invasion by Numenor. But I mean in an allegorical sense, it's a one-way trip to a heavenly place. I don't think any mortal ever returned?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lorien was probably my biggest gripe. I don't mind the design that Jackson & co came up with, but the way Tolkien describes the city and its occupants, I expected something very different.

I'd also pictured Bree as a small village rather than the densely packed down we got. Though I understand why they designed it that way!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I wouldn't worry about it, just keep reading dude. It's all fairly explicit in the sense of "what you see is what you get" - it's not like Game of Thrones where you have to read between the lines from several POVs before really getting what's going on (and even then you can read it several times and completely miss something).

As others have said, it's mainly from the Hobbits' POV and they're pretty clueless about the wider world and its history. The reader being in the same boat is a totally valid way to read it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Wait, there are people who didn't like him?

I thought he was perfect right from the first flashback scene :shrug: If there's any person alive who looks more "elvish" I don't know.

When he was announced I was a bit :crossarms:

I actually think they went a bit too stern and aloof with Elrond's portrayal, though I totally get what they were going for. I can't imagine anyone else as Elrond at this point though.

Seconded that Liv Tyler was perfectly cast as Arwen, and I'm going to add Cate Blanchett as Galadriel too. The Mirror scene was just :tviv:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Except they were all filmed like 4 years before World of Warcraft came out :psyduck:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Doesn't it boil down to JRRT selling the film rights only as a last resort when he was strapped for cash? And that because he sold them unwillingly, his inheritors believe the movies shouldn't be made?

Either that or Jackson & co made changes to the "perfect" book, therefore it's an abomination and should be shunned.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Growing up, I always preferred Ted Nasmith's realism style of LOTR art over Alan Lee and John Howe's more Impressionist style, but yeesh. That's not a great one.

I'm a bit scared of going back to look at his other efforts now, lest my childhood get ruined :ohdear:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Interesting to see that these days he almost exclusively does Game of Thrones fan art, because of course he does

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm conflicted on a bunch of things. Especially Andruil.

I liked Arwen too, but I do remember a lot of backlash against her battle scene thing. I dunno, I don't have a strong opinion on it if I'm being totally honest.

Arwen was originally going to be at Helm's Deep, and they even filmed Liv Tyler in battle there. Holy poo poo that was a bad idea.

The movies aren't perfect, but I think looking back they're as good as we were ever going to get. It could've been an awful lot worse!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

elise the great posted:

I remember a lot of my friends were hacked the gently caress off when Arwen initially spoke in the first movie. Apparently her consonants were too soft and sounded Feanorian (???) but I am not a linguist in any way and mostly just laughed at them for giving a poo poo what her 'th' phonemes sounded like when IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GLORFINDEL UGH

Nerds are the loving worst lmao

Like I get being annoyed that Arwen replaced Glorfindel for the flight to the Ford, but the whole "let's pick nits endlessly in this because it's not up to our impossible standards" drives me loving crazy. Her consonants were too soft ahahaha

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Harsh truth: Glorfindel was a lame character and one step removed from a deus ex machina and Arwen replacing him is a massive improvement, not just in terms of like gender and poo poo, but also in terms of narrative and character development. Having a major character's love interest not show up till an appendix is not good writing, folks.

Yeah I agree, I think it was a good replacement, but I can understand why people didn't like it. It's a lot more understandable than many complaints about the trilogy tbh

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My complaint is specifically about the action sequences in the Mines of Moria where everything is collapsing and they're jumping from platform to platform, and the flood of skulls scenes in the Paths of the Dead. Both seemed really egregiously drawn from video games to the point where it broke my concentration on the film. With Moria you could almost see the scriptwriters going "ok, now time for a jumping puzzle."

It's not so much that it just looked like a video game as that it was Jumping Puzzles, The Movie, at least for those scenes. If I want jumping puzzles, I can go play Prince of Persia. I go to a movie for story and character.

I think in one of the director commentaries, they said the original script said something like "The Fellowship run out of Balin's tomb and down some stairs". The entire sequence was conceived in post-production and the little bits of live-action were done as pick-ups. Doesn't excuse it, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

On that note, if anyone hasn't watched the trilogy with commentary from Jackson, Boyens and Walsh, I'd really recommend it. Pretty great insight into a lot of their thoughts and why they made the changes they did.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tollymain posted:

imo valinor stopped being a place when the world was bent during the fall of numenor

where the gently caress do hobbits go where they die normally anyway

They already live in holes in the ground, might as well just fill in the hole after death and complete the cycle

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I don't think it was a fait accompli, necessarily. LOTR could've easily gone the way of the Star Wars prequels (or the Hobbit trilogy, really).

They aren't the greatest movies ever made, but they're about as good as could be reasonably expected I think. It could've been an awful lot worse.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Galadriel's Mirror scene owned and is a legit fantastic moment. I'll agree it's probably not how a lot of people read that scene, but it's a totally valid interpretation if you come at it from the POV of Frodo seeing a glimpse of what Galadriel wielding the Ring would be like.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yup, it's the entire crown of trees on the hill. He also forces waterlogged wood to combust during the snowstorm on Caradhras.

I'll agree the wizard duel was pretty stupid and cringeworthy though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Aragorn needs to release his tax records

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

#MakeArnorGreatAgain

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

What's the point of having all these superweapons if we can't use them?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

While we're being critical, he reminds me of that character from Goodfellas who says everything twice, says it twice, y'know

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Elrond just doesn't want to have to call another Council in a thousand years with the same faces asking the same questions.

"Where should we hide it this time?"
"Well, Anduin didn't work, and the sea didn't work. Maybe a really deep shaft in Moria?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I am just disappointed that someone said 'wait, spirits can choose to take whichever form serves them best' and then didn't immediately jump to Sexy Gandalf.

I put on my robe and wizard hat