Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Perfidia posted:

Also, the best way to read LoTr the first time is to start with book two. The second read you can do it properly, but it's a whole different experience when you just get thrown into the action with no real clue what happened before, who these people are, etc.

Why the heck????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Imagined posted:

Another detail I love regarding Boromir is that, defending Merry and Pippin, he kills so many orcs that later some of them try to establish their bona fides by bragging about taking him down. "We slew the great warrior."

Boromir owns. Not his fault the ring corrupts everyone.

When Aragorn finds him it specifically mentions the amount of dead orcs lying around him as "20 at least" which is crazy :black101:

E) Not to mention he's all hosed up and filled with arrows but still alive and just chilling propped up against a tree.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 1, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I always thought Faramir got done dirty in the movies, but I haven't read his book parts in ages so I may be misremembering.

e] Yea I never minded it thematically for the movies, it just bummed me out cos he was one of my favourite characters back when I first read the books.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 2, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Mahoning posted:

Didn’t Ted Nasmith turn down PJ and Company for the LOTR trilogy? I did always think it was weird they didn’t hire him since he was probably the most well known Tolkien artist before the movies came out. But then I think I remember reading that they offered to him and he said no.

That's crazy to me, of course it's completely subjective but imo his stuff doesn't hold a candle to Lee or Howe. To be fair I grew up with all the Howe book covers, so they were always canon in my mind.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Yea those are dope as hell

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
:vince:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I'm reading ROTK and it's extremely rude how they brand Snowmane "Theoden's Bane" on his grave. Give him a break, a Nazgul sat on him. Done dirty, smh.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I wish the movie had Gandalf and Aragorn sassing the hell out of Ioreth and the herb guy in the houses of healing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I'm not really fazed about the show because I have zero expectations of it, except I can't stand the dude playing Elrond. It's completely unfair but there's something about his face I just can't stand :shrug:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
The orcs and nemesis stuff in those games was so good and so obviously the reason to play them that the bizarro story stuff never bothered me. I think also they were pretty upfront/aware of how ridiculous the story was, but that might be me misremembering.

I did always feel bad when an orc would cheat death only to become a drooling idiot, or straight up go mad with terror :smith:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Hammerstein posted:

The way I interpret it, is that "and so it came to pass" refers to "when the light of Valinor failed". Meaning the destruction of the trees (as well as the other events) made the Noldor chase after Morgoth. Galadriel also had no part in the kinslaying from what I read.

The character we experience in LOTR is the logical pinnacle of everything that Tolkien wrote about Galadriel. Would the author only make her good and wise so as not to contradict himself, when writing about her earlier years after he had published LOTR? I think not.

He's right though, there's no way it's intended to be read the way you're interpreting the line about "not perceiving shadow".

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Lol I had this on tape when I was a kid and it's so burned into my memory that it's the first thing that pops into my head anytime this topic comes up :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Just have him play every character