Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Tree Bucket posted:

...so what's your favourite thing about Tolkien? (I mean, there's a lot to pick from)

That he wrote two separate erplies to the Nazis who were inquiring with him about being of German descent so they could praise his writing as Truly German, and he sent them to his publisher and said "send whichever one you like." One was pretty much "thanks but no thanks" and the other was a verbal beatdown where he crushed the Nazis in only a way a brilliant professor gentleman could.

The publisher, unfortunately, sent the more diplomatic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

In any event oaths and swearing by powerful objects or people in Middle-Earth is a Big loving Deal, as evidenced by how the oath of Feänor and sons utterly and completely wound up destroying them.

I like the theory I read somewhere on the internet that the reason Elrond refused to allow any of the Fellowship to swear oaths to see the quest through to the end (beyond Frodo) was because he was fostered by Maglor and Maedhros, who both had learned how outrageously loving horrific an impossible oath could be.

Gollum swore a selfish promise on an item of immense power and it worked to his complete and utter ruin, but the salvation of the world.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, real challenge. Rate the names of the actors by how believable those names would be as actual Tolkien-written characters.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Given that Christopher was still in control when the streaming rights were negotiated, and how protective he was of his father's legacy, I'd imagine he got iron-clad contractual terms stating that they are not allowed to go too off-kilter from the source material. And this isn't a Game of Thrones situation where GRRM just stopped writing the books, Tolkien has unfortunately been dead for decades and his backstory is very, very clearly laid out.

E: From my brief googling now I'd expect that the Tolkien Estate is now under the control of Michael George R. Tolkien, and I'll let Wikipedia speak to him:

quote:

Michael George Reuel Tolkien (born 1943) is a British poet. He is the grandson of J. R. R. Tolkien, being the eldest son of Michael H. R. Tolkien. Michael Tolkien was educated at The Oratory School in Oxford and then Ampleforth College. He studied English and Classics at St Andrews University and later a B.Phil. at Oxford. He taught as Head of English at Uppingham School until 1992. He has several volumes of published poetry including "Taking Cover", "Outstripping Gravity" and "Reaching for a Stranger". He is published by Redbeck Press. Michael Tolkien has two daughters, Catherine, born in 1969 and Ruth,[60] born in 1982. He is married to the artist Rosemary Walters.[61] He sits on the board of the Tolkien Company.

So it might still be in relatively safe hands for now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I grew up with these terrible covers

I... I had forgotten these.

I read them until they literally started to fall apart, then got new versions (that have since been replaced with a Kindle version).

E: I distinctly remember the Fellowship of the Ring one, but not the second or third ones.

2E: Oh god, it's all coming back. The second book was purple, in my case.

3E: Bad covers. Bad covers in the deep. They are coming.

They are coming...

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 19, 2020

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Who wants to hear Andy Serkis read The Hobbit from beginning to end for charity?

https://www.gofundme.com/f/thehobbitathoncovid19appeal

He's at the Gollum part and of course he's done the voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

When I watched the first Hobbit movie I was pretty generally pleased because it felt like a Hobbit that tied in more closely to the Lord of the Rings, which I think is something Tolkien himself began writing but stopped after being advised that, even though it was very good, it was losing the spirit of the Hobbit in some ways.

The second and third movies though just had too many issues, especially the second, with pacing and dragging.