Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ashcans posted:

The weirdest thing about that (I mean besides the obvious) is that he's claiming descent from the Kings of Wales, not England. So even if he could prove it, all he would be demonstrating is a claim to the theoretical crone of Wales, which hasn't existed since it was annexed by England. I mean he could return to Wales and claim his birthright and try to raise an army to seize independence or something, but nothing about his claim entitles him to the throne of England. :shrug: Why would you go to all that trouble and not at least claim the right lineage?

Elendil wasn't King of Gondor, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Elendil was High King of Gondar and Arnor? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something.

Yeah, I was thinking Isildur, but now that I look at it he and Anarion were joint kings in Gondor while Elendil was alive, so that doesn't work either.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A while ago in this thread someone alluded to a post or article the argument of which was that the Silmarillion is a syncretic work blending the Numenorean demiurge Melkor into the polytheistic legends of the Gnomes and their war with the Orc-king Morgoth. Anyone have a link to that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

jivjov posted:

I think we'd need a virgin sacrifice. Good thing we've got goons to spare.

We shall burn like the heathen goons of old

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Were the Uruk-Hai bred to be smarter than Orcs? Did Tolkien mention it anywhere?

In "Morgoth's Ring" Tolkien says that Saruman bred "man-orcs large and cunning, and orc-men treacherous and vile". My suspicion would be that the former are the fighting Uruk-hai, and the latter are like the ruffians that help him take over the Shire, but Tolkien doesn't explicitly say this. In general though the Uruk-hai don't seem much smarter than regular Orcs so much as more professional -- and after all Orcs aren't necessarily very stupid to begin with. Nothing really suggests they're necessarily intellectually inferior to men, just without any intellectual culture or respect for intellectual pursuit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Yeah, that has been my understanding of it, but for some reason (D&D?) most online sources say that Uruks are more intelligent. And after all Orcs were said to be great at constructing machines and for war and torture, so they can't have been stupid as such.

Did Tolkien mean Orcs to be an analogy for modern technology obsessed 20th century Western men?

Nah, Tolkien doesn't really deal in that kind of clear cut analogy. But orcs are, as written, the disposable soldiers of an expansionistic military-industrial dictatorship, which is certainly a type of western man that was not impossible to find in the 20th century. "Technology obsessed" is pushing it though, orcs like making pointy objects to shank people with and such, they're not about to discover the integrated circuit or something. The kind of mechanized/"technological" societies that Sauron and Saruman want to create stem from their own godlike desires and knowledge and not from anything to do with orcs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Since when was Tolkien surprised by people reading that into it? His critique of industrial society is fairly explicit, it's not like some meta textual poo poo, all the industrial societies in the book are straight up bad things or at least deeply misguided. He made no secret of it being a major theme either ("Fall, mortality, and the Machine" being the main subjects of the book according to him).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Aren't hobbits also oddly technologically advanced for a race that claims not to like technology that much, at least in comparison to humans? That's the impression I got, maybe I'm wrong. :shrug:

Not especially, they like most western men don't have anything beyond wind and water power and completely lack organized industry or finance (though they do have coinage) or even an effectual governmental authority. Like most Men, they possessed things that we would consider forms of technology but were not a technological society.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Moria sequence contains some of Tolkien's most effective action writing and sustained tension so I'd be surprised if podman can't make at least half a dozen episodes out of it. When he gets to it in mid-2019, I mean. But it's still good that he really picked over the Gildor scene because it's extremely important to understanding 1) Frodo as a character 2) the Noldor as a people and 3) the Quest as a quest, and also because the adaptations have systematically ignored it because nobody kills any orcs in it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That guy is gonna die of old age before he gets to the balrog but yeah I want to hear his opinion on balrog wings

Napkin calculation says he should be finished with the trilogy in about five and a half years! Assuming he can keep up his present winged pace, of course.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Hobbit movies are mediocre to complete poo poo. The worst thing I can say about them is that they have no life of their own at all. Lines, scenes and characters are ripped wholesale from Jackson's LOTR and jammed in seemingly just because they could do it and figured there was money in it. Jackson's LOTR is crappy adaptation in its own way and each movie has some big problems but it's obvious trolling to say that the excrescence of cinema called the Hobbit trilogy is any better.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I agree, he is definitely not supposed to be old in the movies. The book harps on his age a bit so it's not like this was accidental either, it's a deliberate change like Frodo going from eldest to youngest of the hobbits.

I don't think the movies capture the feel of The Hobbit at all, they are way too focused on spectacle and take their vision of the world more from cartoons than from fairy-stories. The less "realistic" feel is obviously intentional but it just winds up being bizarre and distracting from any similarity to the book that might exist (take a shot every time someone falls more than twenty feet without serious injury). Even disregarding that they have a consistent problem of backreading stuff in from LOTR that just isn't in The Hobbit, like Smeagol, the Ring being evil/corrupting influence, or the entire Dol Guldur plotline and everything to do with it.

I guess another way to say it is that yeah, the LOTR movies have big problems as an adaptation of the books and yeah, they don't get half the flak for it that The Hobbit does, but that doesn't mean The Hobbit is a better adaptation, just that it was more obvious about it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I watched this yesterday, it sucks in its own special way. It opens with a "60 years earlier..." subtitle despite the fact that since the prologue was cut, the scene isn't sixty years earlier than anything. This probably should have let me know what I was in for. I don't want to fault the guys effort since it obviously took a lot of time and effort to chop and change this together, but I found the result boring and the name pretty odd since the result isn't all that much closer to Tolkien than the original movies. If I had to pick one thing wrong about it that sums up all its problems, it cuts the "out of the frying pan into the fire" scene, complete with eagles (making their later arrival at the battle into nonsense), but doesn't at all cut the lines where Gandalf and Thorin straight up say "out of the frying pan into the fire".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The main problem with Jackson's Hobbit adaptation isnt just that it's absurdly overlong and "scraped over too much bread", it's that it fundamentally rewrites the core of the story.

In the text, Bilbo defeats the dragon. He's the one who figures out the weak spot, he tells it to the bird, the bird tells Bard. That's why it's all, ultimately, Bilbo's story, a story about a small person who did big things.

In the film, Bard knows about the weak spot independently. That seems like a small change but it does violence to the core theme of the work. Everything else, ok, we can cut out Tauriel in a fan edit, no biggie. But that gets the story wrong.

Somewhat ironically each successive.movie Jackson made got slightly worse. In the first one, the only real major change was replacing gildor with Arwen, which honestly was an improvement in terms of narrative unity. By the second movie though Aragorn is french kissing a horse and Frodo is trying to hand the ring over to the Nazgul and Faramir is bad, and by movie three there's a giant green wave and they just cut the whole Scouring !

By the time we get to the last hobbit movie I almost felt that he was drawing more inspiration from Games Workshop than from Tolkien. The battle elk would be a great miniature.

Fellowship has much bigger changes than just Arwen replacing Glorfindel, almost all of the Shire scenes are cut. There's no sense of Frodo's character or why Merry and Pippin are coming along with him, they just run into them and decide to walk off to god knows where! No Gildor, no Maggot, no Crickhollow, no Old Forest nor Bombadil, no barrows, in fact virtually the only thing that isn't cut between Bag End and Bree (six chapters, almost half of Book I) is the encounter on the road with the black rider.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

It's an adaption .

You can't have 15 hour movies tho I would watch one I guess.

I'm not saying I can't see why the changes were made, but they were made. The perception that the first movie is the most faithful isn't strictly accurate. It isn't very faithful and neither are any of the other Jackson movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sometimes I think a series would be a decent way of adapting LOTR. It's not a super fast paced book and suffers for being crammed into 2 or even 3 hours, to say nothing of being interpreted as an action movie. Three seasons of ten hours each might be nicer.

sassassin posted:

I think we can all agree that the Tolkien estate is right to keep The Silmarillion etc. out of the hands of Hollywood.

The truest truth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

If you take out Eowyn there are 0 female characters in the first movie .

I mean they could have made Merry female I guess.

I hear Cate Blanchett was in there somewhere

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Marrying Faramir off served the same purpose, while allowing him to marry (back) into the line of Noldorian kings. Reading as an adult, Aragorn was quite the canny politician, albeit a good-hearted and noble one.

Indeed. I really enjoy the low-key consolidation of power that Aragorn is able to carry out. Tolkien doesn't approach it as an intrigue at all but it's quite remarkable how a pretender from a foreign country, his claim millennia old, with no wealth or army to speak of, is able to seize the throne based almost entirely on his personal relationships with the de jure ruler of Minas Tirith, the most powerful vassal lord in Gondor, and the nominally vassal king of Rohan.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't this basically the angle that The Last Ringbearer uses to argue the whole trilog y is elf propaganda?

I couldn't get through it but my understanding is that its Aragorn is a puppet of the elves. Which is certainly not without basis since Elrond does strongly back him, but the reason why he is able to make it good is because Eomer and Imrahil are on the spot with armies (Imrahil in particular takes the liberty of inviting him into the city) and Faramir doesn't resist his claim.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Aragorn is the only one with the right to summon the Dead men of dunharrow which is a big deal. I wouldn't say he is replaceable.

Additionally he's the only one with a claim to gondor and arnor. Faramir and Imrahil have no claim to Arnor.

Aragorn is a big deal !

Yeah I think the latter bit is especially important. Without Aragorn there is no hope for any political order in Eriador going forward. The rangers, or those few of them that survived the Pelennor, would be leaderless and far from home. The elves of Rivendell and Lindon are on their way out. That essentially makes the Thain the most important political figure west of the Misty Mountains! Even as Tolkien writes it, it's a little difficult to see how Aragorn reestablished a north-kingdom. One shudders to think how it could have been done without him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Arnor was reestablished and the capital was rebuilt

This much is clear, but Tolkien doesn't really say whether it was a functional state or more of a northern vacation spot for the King. The north kingdom doesn't ever seem to have been very populous or well founded: it doesn't seem to have had any major population centers besides Annuminas and later Fornost, which is more a fortification than a town (contrast Gondor with its major city and two large heartland castle towns, as well as the major port cities of Pelargir and Umbar and another fortified town at Dol Amroth). The fact that Annuminas was abandoned either before or at the same time as the partition of Arnor suggests that the kingdom, or certainly the successor principalities, had no especial use for it; possibly its construction was never more than a boondoggle on Elendil's part.

e: now that I dig at it I see Tolkien alludes to Rohirric settlers in Enedwaith during the fourth age, which does hint at a larger effort to revitalize and repopulate Eriador under the King.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 25, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oracle posted:

I don't remember where I read it but supposedly Tolkien was setting all this in a post-plague era, which is why you have such sparsely populated once-settled and civilized now returned to nature feel about the lands they travel through.

There was a very severe plague around the seventeenth century of the third age, which devastated the lands east of the misty mountains and wiped out the Dunedain of Cardolan, but doesn't seem to have affected Rhudaur (then ruled by Angmar, which makes sense since the plague was probably sent forth by Sauron) or Arthedain (furthest from the plague's source). This definitely brought about serious mortality in Eriador, as did the continuing wars between Arthedain and Angmar. So the road to Rivendell explicitly passes through depopulated country that has not held much but ruins for centuries. That said, it also seems to me like Tolkien never intended for the north kingdom to have major population centers to the same extent as the south, it's got a harsher climate and terrain, mostly forested with not much coastline.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Didn't he attack Ulnar decades before the War of the Ring, while under a pseudonym working for the Steward of Gondor?

Yeah. He made a major raid there, burned the fleet, and killed the Captain of Umbar. Of course if he hadn't they would have made a much more serious threat in the War of the Ring, but even knowing what he knew at the time it was a sound idea. Essentially the conquest or at least containment of Umbar is a necessity for the long-term survival of Gondor. If it is hostile it's a constant threat to Pelargir and the southern fiefs. If it can control the sea it can control Anduin and essentially reduce Gondor to Minas Tirith and Anorien. It's also probably somewhat important to Elessar's personal role as king of all the Dunedain that he control it, since it's a Numenorean colonial port originally.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

The history of Gondor is a history of subjugation of the southern coastlands.

It's interesting that the primary reason Tolkien gives for most of the "evil" men joining "the enemy" is essentially revenge (hillmen of Dunland etc.) They have legitimate grievances and no reason to believe their lot would improve had they sided with the "good" side.

Yeah basically. Numenoreans are of colonial origin and have never lost the sense of supremacy and (at best) the West Man's Burden that goes with it. Aborigines like the Dunlendings/Bree-men and the Druedain are on a certain level portrayed more sympathetically than the half-human westerners. That said, the southerners aren't wholly innocent of this either: the Umbarites ARE Numenoreans and share their ideology of manifest destiny, they're just on the satanic end of the Numenorean religious schism.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

I skip the mmo field trips hahahah.

Yeah this. Episodes are already super long without spending 35 minutes at the end listening to some poo poo about LOTRO

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Podcast dude's LOTR close read definitely isn't super insightful most of the time and tends to get insanely bogged down in minutiae. I don't think he is benefiting from having an unlimited amount of time to go through the text, he is lacking structure and economy. His series on the History of Middle-earth is a bit better because he can't spend more than a couple months on any individual book and has to focus on what is important instead of waffling about how much he likes a single verse of poetry for two hours followed by an hour of wandering around an MMO.

His Dune series is poo poo though. Really complete garbage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You're not going to ruin the gritty fanfiction novel I write set decades after the main LOTR books where a hard-drinking private detective on the streets of Minas Tirith is asked to investigate a strange murder and he slowly finds all these mysterious ties between the murdered man and shadowy figures/organizations based in Ithilien and it turns out there's this huge conspiracy to bring Faramir's son back to the city and crown him King of Gondor.

This is probably exactly where The New Shadow was going before Tolkien decided it was so stupid he would rather rejigger the entire mythology, gutting material he hadn't touched for over thirty years, to render elven cosmology non-geocentric.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Monglo posted:

I never had the impression that the Ring was sentient reading the book. It doesn't have a concrete personality, it gives a person immense power, and tempts to indulge in the temptation to use it, which could be argued to come naturally from the wielder. Why wouldn't you do something about the world if you had the capability to? Most of us would do it, right? Hobbits are just too lazy and dumb!

I don't think "sentience" is a reasonable term to use of the Ring but we are told outright it has agency, it tries to do things, it looks after itself, and it is totally capable of acting without its bearer's consent, even directly against its will. You don't need any knowledge of the immense power of the ring for it to work upon you; indeed, you don't need to know that it has any power at all. Smeagol wanted the ring for its beauty, enough that he was willing to murder his kin for it, even though he didn't have the slightest idea that it was anything other than a pretty trinket. Bilbo is made invisible by the ring without even realizing it! So clearly it isn't just the bearer projecting their own feelings into the Ring. I don't even think there's an ambiguity like how you could interpret Gurthang's speech to Turin as the crazed Turin projecting a personality onto his sword because he can't stand the responsibility for what he has done. The Ring has a will and can take independent action; whether it has an internal monologue or knows what it is, or that it is, is not ultimately relevant because we can see its behavior. At the same time, bearers don't always seem to perceive its influence on them directly: rather they experience a sense that part of them wants to use and keep the Ring, and with long use of the Ring that part of them begins to completely dominate their personalities.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

He feels real bad about using Frodo as the ring bearer.

He should feel bad, he ditched the ring on Frodo for the better part of twenty years while he knew that it was a ring of power at the very least. He stopped in a couple times to make sure that Frodo hadn't spontaneously degenerated into a light-fearing ghoul, which was nice of him I guess, but even Frodo gives him a little poo poo about it when he finally fesses up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

It's "let's you and him fight" backed up by three thousand years of religious dogma. The descendants of the kings of Numenor always seem to be susceptible to foreign prophets.

It's a cultural trait, they're descended from primitives whose reaction to meeting loving immortal warlords fighting an suicidal war against a god was "sweet, what can these guys teach us? Also, can we have sex with their women?"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

hannibal posted:

They actually discuss this during the meeting in Rivendell - something about throwing it into the ocean. But someone (Gandalf maybe) says no, they have to solve it here for all time, not punt it down the road for future generations, because they know the Ring will find a way to turn up again like it did after it was lost in the Gladden Fields.

Glorfindel suggests it, Gandalf shoots him down. It's right after they've floated a bunch of alternative solutions -- giving it to Bombadil (he doesn't care enough about it), sending it to Valinor (the gods wouldn't let you, according to Elrond), or hiding it away in Rivendell or Lorien or the Havens (they aren't strong enough to defy Sauron). Gandalf brings up that the lands and seas may change in the future and the ring be brought to light again, which is a pretty fair point honestly. They also make an argument against trying to send it overseas because that's what Sauron will expect them to do (?) and he will try and seize the Ring on the way to the Havens -- not really clear how since the Nazgul don't seem to be about again yet.

Then right after that Boromir wonders why all they can talk about is "hiding and destroying", etc.

My point/joke was not that Gandalf had so many better options because he obviously didn't, but that he left Frodo in a desperately risky situation without even letting him know what was going on. Frodo is understandably pretty upset when he figures out what was going on. In "Shadow of the Past", when Gandalf lets on that Bilbo's ring was a Ring of Power, Frodo asks him how long he's known, and if Bilbo knew. Gandalf evades the first question and answers the second, exonerates Bilbo of blame. Frodo asks again how long he has known about the Ring, and Gandalf gets kind of testy with him:

quote:

‘Known?’ said Gandalf. ‘I have known much that only the Wise know, Frodo. But if you mean “known about this ring”, well, I still do not know, one might say. There is a last test to make. But I no longer doubt my guess.
‘When did I first begin to guess?’ he mused, searching back in memory. ‘Let me see – it was in the year that the White Council drove the Dark Power from Mirkwood, just before the Battle of Five Armies, that Bilbo found his ring. A shadow fell on my heart then, though I did not know yet what I feared. I wondered often how Gollum came by a Great Ring, as plainly it was – that at least was clear from the first.

In other words, he has been at least suspicious about the Ring, and felt certain it was a ring of power, for longer than Frodo has been alive.

He goes on to explain to Frodo a bit about the history of the Ring, how Sauron lost it, Gollum, etc. Frodo is still kind of worried that Gandalf is jerking him around here:

quote:

“But how have you learned all this about the Ring, and about Gollum? Do you really know it all, or are you just guessing still?’
Gandalf looked at Frodo, and his eyes glinted. ‘I knew much and I have learned much,’ he answered. ‘But I am not going to give an account of all my doings to you. The history of Elendil and Isildur and the One Ring is known to all the Wise. Your ring is shown to be that One Ring by the fire-writing alone, apart from any other evidence.’
‘And when did you discover that?’ asked Frodo, interrupting.
‘Just now in this room, of course,’ answered the wizard sharply. ‘But I expected to find it.”

Gandalf is feeling a bit needled here. Frodo's overriding concern seems to be whether Gandalf was aware that he was leaving Frodo ignorantly in keeping of a deadly powerful magical artifact that destroys its owner, or whether he was himself negligent and ignorant about a deadly powerful magical artifact. It seems that there's a bit of both, which doesn't exactly reassure Frodo. Later in their conversation Gandalf tries to give a better accounting of his behavior:

quote:

“All the same,’ said Frodo, ‘even if Bilbo could not kill Gollum, I wish he had not kept the Ring. I wish he had never found it, and that I had not got it! Why did you let me keep it? Why didn’t you make me throw it away, or destroy it?’
‘Let you? Make you?’ said the wizard. ‘Haven’t you been listening to all that I have said? You are not thinking of what you are saying. But as for throwing it away, that was obviously wrong. These Rings have a way of being found. In evil hands it might have done great evil. Worst of all, it might have fallen into the hands of the Enemy. Indeed it certainly would; for this is the One, and he is exerting all his power to find it or draw it to himself.
Of course, my dear Frodo, it was dangerous for you; and that has troubled me deeply. But there was so much at stake that I had to take some risk – though even when I was far away there has never been a day when the Shire has not been guarded by watchful eyes. As long as you never used it, I did not think that the Ring would have any lasting effect on you, not for evil, not at any rate for a very long time. And you must remember that nine years ago, when I last saw you, I still knew little for certain.”

This still doesn't console Frodo very much. He doesn't blame Gandalf for anything because the situation is obviously not Gandalf's fault, and because without him he would still be completely clueless, and because going forward Gandalf's advice is really all he has to go on. But in the course of the conversation it's clear he feels kind of hard done by.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

How long did it take them to get back to running around
? The orcs talk about the flying beasts on the trip to isengard after the fellowship splits. So at least by then, I guess.

Before that Legolas shoots one of their beasts over the eastern bank of Anduin at Sarn Gebir (23 February). Frodo crosses Bruinen on 20 October so it's four months at most. When they're still at Rivendell (Nov/Dec) Elrond sends out scouts including his sons to check for any sign of the Nazgul; they find their horses drowned downstream of the ford and Gandalf concludes that they have fled back to Mordor and that, if they leave now, the Riders will need to track back to Rivendell before they can pick up any trail to follow the Fellowship.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Or just drop it in a loving hole. Worked for one of the Silmarils.

Tbh I never understood this bit: okay it's probably hard to get things out of fiery chasms in the earth even if you're a god, but why couldn't Ulmo just fish out the one that got thrown into the sea? The gods weren't obviously resigned to losing the Silmarils before they got thrown down there, they were actively trying to bring them back to Valinor when Maedhros and Maglor stole them, so why did they just let them sit down at the bottom of the world after the fact? Were they just too dispirited to even bother?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

When The Hobbit was first written and not yet coherently linked to the myths of Beleriand & the Noldor, the Arkenstone was basically a repurposed Silmaril, in the same way as the elvenking of Mirkwood was basically a repurposed Thingol (or the Necromancer a repurposed Thu, or Elrond a repurposed Elrond). When rendering myths from this era into Old English Tolkien even rendered "silmaril" as "eorcanstan" so it's pretty obvious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Radio! posted:

Okay this is actually super cool. Where did you learn that?

It's somewhere in the early books of History of Middle Earth, Lays of Beleriand maybe?

e: real talk though, the Arkenstone isn't consistent with the Silmarils as Tolkien eventually conceived of them. Probably the most obvious magical power of the Silmarils, that they were enchanted by Varda to burn those who try to possess them undeservingly, is totally incompatible with Bilbo blithely stealing one.

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 5, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It was fragrant wild herb. It isn't clear that the Numenoreans cultivated it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You know they'd have wanted it, if they hadn't had it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Numenoreans clearly vaped

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Actual legit question: What kind of livestock do hobbits keep? They must have access to some kind of dairy animal. Goats? Sheep? Can you milk sheep?

Of course you can, have you never had like manchego or anything?

We know hobbits keep ponies for pack-animals and occasionally riding. Given that they have a nonsense-rhyme about the cow jumping over the moon, I presume they keep cattle, and if cattle then why not any other sort of livestock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I can't recall the exact quote but part of the Shirrifs' duties were wrangling and returning strayed farm animals. So they did keep some livestock, but I don't think the species is ever noted.

quote:

The Shirriffs was the name that the Hobbits gave to their police, or the nearest equivalent that they possessed. They had, of course, no uniforms (such things being quite unknown), only a feather in their caps; and they were in practice rather haywards than policemen, more concerned with the strayings of beasts than of people.