Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There's something odd about Bombadil that I only noticed the last time I read it, so it might just be nonsense or the mood I was in or something. But he seemed sinister, with all the talk of him being the 'master' of his ordered garden, even the 'you should not be awake, go back to sleep' thing with Old Man Willow. I'm not saying he's secretly a communist servant of Morgoth (who doesn't have a birth certificate in Middle Earth :tinfoil:) or something, but I definitely thought he seemed more menacing than a jolly man with incredible power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

If you ask me the Noldor reached Peak Elf. The Vanyar were closest to the gods but as a result barely did anything and just hung out on their mountain all day. The Teleri were silly beach elves with seashell houses and doing gently caress knows what, the others like the Sindar and the Nandor never even saw the Light of Aman. I mean what kind of elf is that. poo poo.

0/10 would not sail into the west with

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

I doubt that the Great Goblin would have resisted Sauron once he openly declared himself. Helping Thorin in general was a pretty dubious decision on Gandalf's part though.

The goblins would have toppled to communism the Enemy like dominoes.

Gandalf is the CIA.

Did you know that the illegal trade in pipe weed was started by an itinerant wizard?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

His subservience to the gentry (and by extention the gentry itself) is essential to his catholic proletarian virtue, because it mirrors submission to god :catholic:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

We already had a visual exploration of pre trilogy middle earth with the hobbit. It felt like they were trying to sell warhammer miniatures or something :(

Here comes the dwarf king (150 pts) on his dire boar chariot (+50pts)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think Faramir and the Ithilien Blacksite is sort of still in keeping with his musing about the dead Easterling, but only in ways the movie doesn't have time to go into.

He's still a man of peace born into a kingdom at constant war. The film goes more into how unpleasant his war is, in sequence 1) getting denigrated by dad because the war is being lost, 2) slaughtering unsuspecting men from the bushes, 3) beating """enemy spies""" for information, 4) losing Osgiliath, again.

I dunno if I agree with it but I think I see where they were going?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Some real contempt for local government by the people for the people itt

Centralists :argh:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

More protests today over the presence in the Shire of Captain Peregrin Took, a known special forces officer for the tyrant "King in the West". While he has publically claimed to be visiting family, he has been sighted several times in uniform.

Took is best known for his role in the assassination of the previous king of Angmar alongside horse lord insurgents...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Seven stars and eight stones and one white tree.

Ed: or does being a meteorite class it as a star?

:eyepop:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Guys guess what

most of the characters are aristocrats!

destroy this counterrevolutionary propaganda!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Did someone really just argue 'Frodo isn't written with a strong personality yet Sam is his devoted friend, therefore Sam doesn't actually like him and is no better than a trained animal'.

Like, I get that it's fun to pick apart the old fashioned views of class in the story. But some people seem to elevate that to a total contempt for the books where everything is ironic or propaganda. Who reads this charming, earnest novel about hope and friendship in the world's darkest hour and thinks hmmm yes it would be much better if everyone was actually terrible so that it fits my interpretation of modern politics?

This is how Momentum members actually see the world isn't it :smith:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

^ is on point to be fair, but Momentum doesn't contain all or even most of our left wingers.

My impression is that they lean fairly strongly in the :guillotine: direction. They tend to present the UK as a decaying dystopia, and conservatives as individuals who genuinely want to watch poor people suffer.

I'll shut up about politics now.