Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Yeah same happened to me.

Also, that guy is a webcomic creep.

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

Tolkien's Middle-Earth: Hobbit poo poo

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Imagined posted:

A couple of things I thought about during this reread:

- Aragorn mentions several times how he's a Numenorean of "line unblended", but who is his mom? All the Numenoreans mentioned in the book are men, and rangers who don't have any settlement of their own seemingly. Where is this enclave of Numenorean women so large it could sustain their numbers through the ages without ever once interbreeding with outsiders?

Numenoreans are like dwarves.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Tolkien also gives mixed messages about that because the Numenoreans who were obsessed with racial purity really hosed things up in Gondor and were obviously the bad guys, while those who were willing to intermarry were clearly right. On the other hand, he makes a big deal of Numenoreans being diminished because of blending with “lesser men” and Aragorn and Imrahil being special because they are from “race unmingled”.

I think overall the idea is that mixing of the races is good in concept, but for people with “high destiny” or whatever it’s better to marry within the race. In other words, it’s fine for my friend’s daughter to marry an Italian, but God forbid any of my kids do, and while white people in the newspaper might marry black people, it would be horrifying and shocking if anyone I know actually did.

My Grandfather was a leftist academic in the South in the 50’s who did minor, but noteworthy work in civil rights, but I’m sure you could have heard similar things (though not as bad) from him from time to time.

That said, there’s no two ways about it, Tolkien was racist. His racism was more complex and not nearly as bad as most people think, but it’s absolutely there and he shouldn’t be given a pass for it. He was from a time where he could have known better. He obviously struggled to improve his views on race, but not hard enough. If we enjoy his works, we have to enjoy them in spite of that.

It's not race-mixing in itself that's bad, it's race-mixing with lesser races that's bad in Middle Earth. Both Aragorn and Imrahil had elf blood in them which made them better than other men. And the Tooks might have had some elf blood too, and they were a noble house. Tolkien definitely had a racial hierarchy in his works.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Numenoreans are definitely the “highest” race of men and there are several passages where it’s described as good that they mixed or were willing to mix with “lesser” (though still white, obviously) races. Faramir says that at one point, and of course married Eowyn. There’s also a big thing in the appendices about racial purity assholes loving things up in Gondor, if I recall.

Mixing with elves is generally so rare that it’s a matter of legend and high destiny or whatever and any time elves did marry with mortal heroes it was explicitly good.

The elf dads opposed it.

e: Speaking of elf dads, wasn't 'elf' used for male elves only?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Waiting for Frodo

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RIP.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sweet geek swag posted:

At this point I don't think it is a huge deal though. I think the separation between The Lord of the Rings as a literary work and The Lord of the Rings as a media brand has been established, largely because of the way that Christopher safeguarded the written material. I think that the main threat would have come from the Tolkien estate trying to write or commission a sequel or something, but without Christopher there no one would take such a project as having any real relation to the original book/writings even if it were to get made.

This is my take on it too. All the film, stage, and merchandising rights were sold in the 60s. The only thing the estate can stop is someone writing Lord of the Rings 2, Lordier and Ringier.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

euphronius posted:

Silmarillion movie rights have never been sold afaict.

I’m probably wrong. Obviously no one is allowed to sell licensed fiction.

Quick googling says that they haven't been sold.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

From Wikipedia:

Writing

During mid-1997,[9] Jackson and Walsh began writing with Stephen Sinclair.[8] Sinclair's partner, Philippa Boyens, was a major fan of the book and joined the writing team after reading their treatment.[9] It took 13 to 14 months to write the two film scripts,[9] which were 147 and 144 pages respectively. Sinclair left the project due to theatrical obligations. Amongst their revisions, Sam is caught eavesdropping and forced to go along with Frodo, as occurs in the original novel. In the final treatment, Sam, Merry and Pippin infer the existence of the One Ring and voluntarily go along after confronting Frodo about it. Gandalf's account of his time at Orthanc was pulled out of flashback and Lothlórien was cut, with Galadriel doing what she does in the story at Rivendell. Denethor attends the Council of Elrond with his son. Other changes included having Arwen rescue Frodo, and the action sequence involving the cave troll. The writers also considered having Arwen absorb Éowyn's role entirely by having her kill the Witch-king.[8]

Trouble struck when Marty Katz was sent to New Zealand. Spending four months there, he told Miramax that the films were more likely to cost $150 million; with Miramax unable to finance this, and with $15 million already spent, they decided to merge the two films into one. On 17 June 1998, Bob Weinstein presented a treatment of a single two-hour film version of the book. He suggested cutting Bree and the Battle of Helm's Deep, "losing or using" Saruman, merging Rohan and Gondor with Éowyn as Boromir's sister, shortening Rivendell and Moria as well as having Ents prevent the Uruk-hai from kidnapping Merry and Pippin.

Hah, hadn't heard about this before.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

cheetah7071 posted:

I grew up with these terrible covers

Sky Shadowing posted:

I... I had forgotten these.

I read them until they literally started to fall apart, then got new versions (that have since been replaced with a Kindle version).

E: I distinctly remember the Fellowship of the Ring one, but not the second or third ones.

2E: Oh god, it's all coming back. The second book was purple, in my case.

3E: Bad covers. Bad covers in the deep. They are coming.

They are coming...

ahahaha

Is the first one by the horrible WoT artist?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

It occurs to me that The Studios are run by awful, awful people.

Yeah, Weinstein was also involved in the movies: https://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/peter-jackson-slams-denial-ashley-judd-mira-sorvino-1201908315/

skasion posted:

The estate had no direct connection to those movies though, the rights were held by Saul Zaentz Co./Middle-earth Enterprises/whatever they were called and not the estate

Another big rear end in a top hat, though not on Weinstein's level.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Imagined posted:

The people who insist that the LotR was allegorical or symbolic of WW1 or WW2, or of Tolkien's idealized childhood, generally drive me nuts. That being said, there are definitely some points in the books where I felt like his background as a combat veteran comes out. In particular, the passages in the 'The Two Towers' where the orcs are talking to each other about the progress of the war struck me as something Tolkien might have lifted nearly verbatim from his fellow soldiers during the war.

And we know from other passages and from his letters that Tolkien associated orcs and goblins with modern day warmongers and profiteers.

He didn't associate orcs with warmongers and profiteers, but with cruel and violent people from Industrial Age warfare. Sauron and Saruman would be closer to modern age warmongers. The only profiteers I can think of were Hobbits.

Some of Tolkien's quotes about Orcs:

"...It is not unlikely that they invented some of the machines that have since troubled the world, especially the ingenious devices for killing large numbers of people at once, for wheels and engines and explosions always delighted them..."

“An ultimately evil job. For we are attempting to conquer Sauron with the Ring. And we shall (it seems) succeed. But the penalty is, as you will know, to breed new Saurons, and slowly turn Men and Elves into Orcs. Not that in real life things are as clear cut as in a story, and we started out with a great many Orcs on our side. (letter 66)”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

Hang on, how long's this subforum been called "The Book Bran"?

I think that I saw it last week, or maybe early this week.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think that’s a really cynical take, and I’m not sure if it’s just bait. Obviously Gandalf’s goal was to defeat Sauron while preventing as much suffering to the people of Middle-Earth as possible. That was the whole point of sending the Istari. If the primary goal of the Valar had just been Sauron’s defeat, Eonwe would have just come over with a big army and hosed him up. But that would have resulted in a lot more death and destruction than what Gandalf accomplished.

Where Gandalf differs from Denethor is that Denethor completely takes a “Gondor first” attitude. He primarily cares about the power and prestige of his own country, and his lineage in charge of it and he sees Gondor as the only significant enemy of Sauron when in fact it’s the primary, but not only power opposing Mordor. Gandalf obviously cares about the people of Minas Tirith (otherwise why bother going to the Houses of Healing with the Battle of the Pelennor Fields still raging) but puts the fate and wellbeing of all of Middle-Earth before any single country or individual.

Gandalf absolutely does use people and armies as “pawns”, though. Frodo is the most obvious case of that. There’s no way Gandalf didn’t know that the quest of the Ring could end in any way other than complete ruin for Frodo personally, regardless of whatever else happened, but he still encouraged him on it. Sure he probably was operating on faith that Eru (God) chose Frodo for the quest and would make sure he came out if it okay in the end, but it was still a very cold decision in some ways.

euphronius posted:

Frodo calls him out on it directly

But what can you do, he was chosen by the gods.

Poor Frodo. He didn’t even want to go to Mordor but was literally possessed by the gods in the fateful moment and forced to. At least they sent the eagles so he didn’t die on the side of a volcano and instead died weary and in pain in the west

galagazombie posted:

You have to remember that the last time the forces of heaven decided to dab on the Dark Lord they blew up half of Middle-Earth. After the shitshow that was the War of Wrath they made the right call in trying to act more low-key against Sauron.

If the Valar had wanted to, they could have used the Eagles from the beginning, and saved the Middle Earth without much trouble or great wars. The only thing needed to destroy Sauron was to drop the ring in the volcano, which wasn't the case with Morgoth. But that would have tampered with free will.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Eighties ZomCom posted:

They should've just gone with Boromir's idea to launch Frodo and the Ring into the volcano with a catapult imo.

someone pls post the gif

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sassassin posted:

When you start reading a text around what you perceive to be an author's mistakes you come up with strange readings.

The eagles are not the only group who refuse to commit utterly to Gandalf's crazy scheme, and the war in general. The Fellowship has token representation from a small number of allied forces, but most Men, Elves, Dwarfs and Miscellaneous stay at home until the war is on their doorstep. No one is putting themselves on the line en mass to save "hundreds of thousands of other lives" until they're directly threatened (and sometimes even then a magic spell is required). Only the survivors of Minas Tirith march on the Black Gate. The Eagles, being eagles, are especially safe and secure where they are. Individuals are happy to meddle and do favours, but that's not inconsistent at all. Every other group of people is the same.

If they had tried to fly the ring to Mount Doom they would have failed. It's not a big open top cartoon volcano you can drop something into, the forge is in the heart of a mountain. Mordor is full of troops. They would be seen coming.

Ok, then they could have tied up Bilbo/Frodo, and an Eagle could have landed before the entry of the heart of the volcano with a Rhosgobel rabbit, who would have dropped the ringbearer in.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

And if the rabbits weren't canonical, a mearas could have been used. Gandalf could clearly command his one. And make deals with Eagles.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:tipshat:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A wizard comes precisely when he means to.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Imagined posted:

Tolkien clarified in later writings and letters that Sauron held the nine rings himself, not the Nazgul. I'm inclined to think that the idea of the eagles flying straight to Mount Doom is a dumb idea and I wish it would stop coming up. Do you not think the Eye would see giant loving eagles coming straight at Mordor? Do you not think he would send the winged Nazgul against them the instant he saw them? The only reason the eagles can show up at the battle of the black gates is that the Nazgul have been called away toward Mount Doom with all possible speed. Besides all that, Frodo couldn't drop the ring at the end. It took the intervention of fate/god through Gollum to do it. Even if he were on the back of an eagle, he couldn't do it. Nor would he give it up to somebody else to do it, nor would anyone else be able to do it even if they forced him to give it up.

That's easy to solve. At first attack with some Eagles as a diversion. A diversionary attack worked in the books too. Then when the winged Nazguls are occupied elsewhere, make your move. And since Frodo won't give the Ring, let him keep it, but drop the Frodo + Ring packet in.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

"What if instead of Christopher Tolkien we had Kevin J Anderson"

Or Brian Herbert.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

I know it's not the point, but after a few minutes I'm unimpressed with him as a narrator.

agreed

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

euphronius posted:

Oh I got the wrong part it was a couple liens further as Skaison says

dairedditor

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Trin Tragula posted:

If you're into this sort of thing, you probably also want to check out the 1981 BBC Radio dramatisation.

How does it differ from the audiobooks?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mahoning posted:

Radio dramas have a full cast, with actors playing individual parts.

In that BBC version, Ian Holm plays Frodo.

Is it unabridged?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

skasion posted:

No, it’s rearranged a bit as well. e.g. they show Gollum getting captured and tortured directly rather than just letting you know after the fact

Pity.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mahoning posted:

I believe they also omitted Ho Tom Merry Tom Bombadillo!

That's a crime. The stuff was made for radio.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Imagined posted:

I guess I should say that each of the other movies includes additions and new inventions that piss me off -- the elves showing up at Helms Deep, for ex. The character assassinations of Denethor and Faramir. Where Fellowship differs largely from the book is in leaving things out, which on the whole I'm more sympathetic to.

And Gimli.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gonna really nerd the gently caress out here, hold on tight:

One reason it works is that the movie is very clearly cast with a female gaze. All the men are hunky beautiful bois you can easily sexualize

Yes, even Ian McKellen, who I have on good authority packs absolutely huge dong (a friend saw him do a nude scene on Broadway)

This sort of thought exercise isn't possible with the bare text because Tolkien did not sexualize his characters to anything like the same extent

Gandalf means 'wand-elf'.

From https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm

A typical wand is 6 inches to 12 inches long and about ¼ inch thick, and often weighs no more than 1 ounce. Most wands are wood, but some are bone.

Yeah, the text doesn't support this. Though tbf, it's rather long.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

dwarf74 posted:

Somehow I fell down a rabbit hole into ICE's Middle Earth Role-Playing this weekend, and silly though it's been, I am enjoying this Middle-Earth Extended Universe stuff they have got going on.

I got dragged into it by going back and marveling at how amazing Fenlon's maps are.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9qwm-rNX9YEX0hUYkZDdzY1Tjg

now that's a silly game

paranoia level deathrates for pcs

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Cat_(poem)

The fat cat on the mat
may seem to dream
of nice mice that suffice
for him, or cream;
but he free, maybe,
walks in thought
unbowed, proud, where loud
roared and fought
his kin, lean and slim,
or deep in den
in the East feasted on beasts
and tender men.

The giant lion with iron
claw in paw,
and huge ruthless tooth
in gory jaw;
the pard, dark-starred,
fleet upon feet,
that oft soft from aloft
leaps on his meat
where woods loom in gloom--
far now they be,
fierce and free,
and tamed is he;
but fat cat on the mat
kept as a pet,
he does not forget.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://twitter.com/Megadestructo/status/1264811336329920512

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

Oh look, it's a bingo card for us social workers!

:lmao:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sweet geek swag posted:

On the recommendation of this thread I got the Lord of the Rings audio book. This Inglis guy is really good. It isn't what I expected, but that kind of makes it better. It gives me a new voice to hear the books from, which is refreshing.

Started listening to them, and yeah, Inglis is great.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

He is good, although I think he just dives into the songs with no preparation and it gives me serious fremdschämen. I salute his enormous balls for recording these songs completely unaccompanied, though.

I wonder if Tolkien actually sang all his songs aloud to try them out? Some of them feel a little clunky when I read through, but of course I've got no idea how he intended them to sound.

Hah, I'm just at the beginning, so the only poem I've encountered so far is the one about the Ring. I have a feeling that Bilbo at his birthday was a humorous self-deprecating self-insert:

All the one hundred and forty-four guests expected a pleasant feast; though they rather dreaded the after-dinner speech of their host (an inevitable item). He was liable to drag in bits of what he called poetry; and sometimes, after a glass or two, would allude to the absurd adventures of his mysterious journey.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

The Eärendil poem is even more of an Inklings shoutout, what with all the banter afterwards about the style and voice

Could you post or link it?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Could you elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FBS posted:

It's a thread, click through to read it all.

How about you post it in here instead.