Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Nessus posted:

I think the idea is that the Numenorians were the descendants of Men who threw in with the Elves and Valar and got rewarded for being faithful to good instead of either joining Morgoth or just sitting in the woods with a thumb up their rear end. (Side note: Hypothetical alliance of neutrality between generic Men and the lazy-rear end wood elves...??)

Thanks to this divine favor Numenorians were like Humans Plus, tall and with extended lifespans, not like "forever" but "200-300 years." Presumably they increased on Numenor since it was literally raised from the deeps for their benefit and had no competition, so there were a lot of them. The big fleet that showed up and made Sauron's army desert him was probably all or mostly Numenorians. They had been involved with Middle-Earth well before then.

I think all the Numenoreans had extended lifespan but the battle of the last alliance was probably largely drawn from the guys who lived in what became Gondor, which had been settled by Numenoreans. I don't think Numenoreans had any superpowers beyond an extended lifespan and maybe being tall.

Also, their first king was 6/16ths Man, 9/16ths Elf, and 1/16th Ainu, and as his descendants intermarried with the rest of the Numenoreans, that Elvish and Ainurin blood also spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Blood Boils posted:

Oh drat, I never thought of that, love it!

Thrain: "It took centuries of digging, but at last, we found it!"
Elvish Ambassador: "Found what?"
Thrain: "The Sim-er ah, Arkenstone! Ok good to see ya bye"

There are a few issues with the idea. First, Maedhros was much further west, probably somewhere near modern Lindon, when he took the Silmaril with him into the earth. Second, the Silmarils were hallowed "so that thereafter no mortal flesh [...] might touch them, but it was scorched and withered[,]" and as a mortal Bilbo definitely should've been burned when handling the Arkenstone if it was a Silmaril. Third, the Silmarils are made of some substance said to appear "like the crystal of diamonds [...], and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda." We are told that the Dwarves of Erebor worked facets into the Arkenstone, so it clearly cannot be of the same substance.

The first issue is easily handwaved as an issue of lava flows or perhaps a consequence of Eru's reshaping of the world at the end of the Second Age, but the issue of Bilbo being unburnt and the Dwarves being able to carve facets into unmarrable crystal are not so swiftly dismissed. Therefore, I posit that the Arkenstone is actually an accumulation of mundane crystal that has grown around the Silmaril of Maedhros during the thousands of years between its loss and recovery.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 11, 2020

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

euphronius posted:

Is any elf still bound by Feanors curse.

Maglor, maybe.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

Granted the various elf clans are confusing as hell.

Others have already posted the charts and things, but one last thing I would point out is that the Calaquendi/Moriquendi is an individual trait based on whether or not you personally have seen the light of the living Trees, not an ethnic one. Elu Thingol, king of the Sindar, is Calaquendi because he saw the Trees; Elrond, despite the Noldorin blood from his grandmother Idril, is Moriquendi because the Trees were long dead by the time he was born, and still longer dead by the time he arrived in Aman.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

skasion posted:

The oath and the Doom are different things, and the Doom was for the massacre at Alqualonde as much as for the oath itself. the Doom was specifically targeted at the House of Fëanor and “upon all that will follow them”. Which is susceptible of multiple interpretations, depending on how you take the word “will”.

And "follow," for that matter.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean the precedent for elves with mortaliry had been set by Luthien and Earendil probably would have gotten the same choice as Elrond and Elros but he was turned into an ad-hoc celestial body before thst could happen.

Earendil explicitly did get that choice, and his response was "I'll go with whatever my wife chooses."

Anyway, if Earendil isn't a Noldo then neither is Fingolfin.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I'm just saying, Earendil and Fingolfin have the same number of full-blooded Noldo parents: one.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

There's a reason they say "Be not afraid."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

euphronius posted:

His spirit is still in the world like a horcr...... Phylactery

I agree the little, scarred and burnt remains of Melkor are gone

Stick with horcrux. JK Rowling sucks, but that particular piece of her work doesn't have any unfortunate implications attached to it. Contrast that to the word phylactery, which associates a Jewish religious practice with evil and death.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

Actually you'll find that Faramir beating up Gollum saved middle earth because it let Gollum take over Smeagol again and convince them to betray frodo and therefore when he showed up at Mount Doom and fell into the fire it was all because Faramir acted as the catalyst for it all.

Faramir the true hero.

And thus evil shall be good to have been – yet still evil.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Southpaugh posted:

Uhm sharpened steel blanks are industrial, impersonal and brutal not artisanal and poo poo like wot elves would do. So it's fine.

Nobody is saying that the look of the swords is the problem. The problem is that casting steel as depicted doesn't result in material strong enough to be used as a weapon.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

perc2 posted:

From Ar-P's perspective Sauron is just some rebellious would-be-lord he crushed[;] he has no idea Sauron is a Maia, etc.

Where do you get this idea?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

BigglesSWE posted:

Are there examples of characters influencing dreams like that?

Yes. In the Silmarillion, Ulmo sends identical dreams to two Elf-lords simultaneously to give them an instruction, and I'm almost certain he sends other dreams later on, but I can only think of that one definite example off the top of my head.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Nessus posted:

If I recall, the elves knew when Sauron was about to pull this poo poo and enslave them and took off their rings, and it does not seem unreasonable that they suddenly heard that Annatar dude saying "THREE RINGS FOR ELF ETC." and someone wrote it down. It is even possible they took a minute to realize what was going on and get their rings off.

The "Three rings for the Elven-kings" verse cannot pre-date the creation of the One, nor can it have been part of the spell of the One's creation, because the whole point of Sauron's ring project was to use the rings he'd taught them to make to create a backdoor into the minds of the Elves. His plan was that all the rings would belong to elves. Humans and dwarves didn't come onto his radar until after that plan had failed, and Sauron had slaughtered the ring-makers and recovered the 16 rings made with his direct input.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

VanSandman posted:

Wait. Where are you getting this information?

The Silmarillion, "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age":

quote:

Seeing the desolation of the world, Sauron said in his heart that the Valar,
having overthrown Morgoth, had again forgotten Middle-earth; and his pride
grew apace. [...]

Men he found the easiest to sway of all the peoples of the Earth; but long he
sought to persuade the Elves to his service, for he knew that the Firstborn had
the greater power; and he went far and wide among them, and his hue was still
that of one both fair and wise. [...]

It was in Eregion that the counsels of Sauron were most gladly received, for in
that land the Noldor desired ever to increase the skill and subtlety of their works. [...]
Therefore they hearkened to Sauron, and they learned of him many things, for his knowledge
was great. In those days the smiths of Ost-in-Edhil surpassed all that they had
contrived before; and they took thought, and they made Rings of Power. But
Sauron guided their labours, and he was aware of all that they did; for his desire
was to set a bond upon the Elves and to bring them under his vigilance.

Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule
all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it
and to last only so long as it too should last. And much of the strength and will
of Sauron passed into that One Ring; for the power of the Elven-rings was very
great, and that which should govern them must be a thing of surpassing potency;
and Sauron forged it in the Mountain of Fire in the Land of Shadow. And while
he wore the One Ring he could perceive all the things that were done by means
of the lesser rings, and he could see and govern the very thoughts of those that
wore them.

But the Elves were not so lightly to be caught. As soon as Sauron set the One
Ring upon his finger they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived
that he would be master of them, and of all that they wrought. Then in anger and
fear they took off their rings. But he, finding that he was betrayed and that the
Elves were not deceived, was filled with wrath; and he came against them with
open war, demanding that all the rings should be delivered to him, since the
Elven-smiths could not have attained to their making without his lore and
counsel. But the Elves fled from him; and three of their rings they saved, and
bore them away, and hid them.

Now these were the Three that had last been made, and they possessed the
greatest powers. Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, they were named, the Rings of Fire,
and of Water, and of Air, set with ruby and adamant and sapphire; and of all the
Elven-rings Sauron most desired to possess them, for those who had them in
their keeping could ward off the decays of time and postpone the weariness of
the world. But Sauron could not discover them, for they were given into the
hands of the Wise, who concealed them and never again used them openly while
Sauron kept the Ruling Ring. Therefore the Three remained unsullied, for they
were forged by Celebrimbor alone, and the hand of Sauron had never touched
them; yet they also were subject to the One.

From that time war never ceased between Sauron and the Elves; and Eregion
was laid waste, and Celebrimbor slain, and the doors of Moria were shut. In that
time the stronghold and refuge of Imladris, that Men called Rivendell, was
founded by Elrond Half-elven; and long it endured. But Sauron gathered into his
hands all the remaining Rings of Power; and he dealt them out to the other
peoples of Middle-earth, hoping thus to bring under his sway all those that
desired secret power beyond the measure of their kind. Seven rings he gave to
the Dwarves; but to Men he gave nine, for Men proved in this matter as in others
the readiest to his will. And all those rings that he governed he perverted, the
more easily since he had a part in their making, and they were accursed, and they
betrayed in the end all those that used them.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Pham Nuwen posted:

"Phantom" is an apt word choice, in that we should remember what happened when George Lucas came and filled in some blank spots for a different beloved trilogy... I wouldn't read something set in Middle Earth that wasn't written by Tolkien, it just wouldn't be right and I guarantee you'd feel it from the first page. Either they'd imitate Tolkien, and it would feel like an imitation, or they'd abandon the style and have the Elves saying "gently caress" etc.

Other people's mileage may vary, but I find that the works of the fan author bunn, particularly their Return to Aman series (in which Maglor is pardoned at Elrond's request and allowed to come back across the sea with his foster-son, Galadriel, Gandalf, Bilbo, and Frodo), does an excellent job capturing the feeling of the world without seeming to work at it.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

i dont like the idea of saving maglor because i dont think youre really supposed to read the silmarillion as a literal account of events. maglor is a mythical person and while the silmarillion says he should still be around playing his harp and weeping i don't think he could actually be found if someone were to go looking for him in the third age any more than we could go up olympus and expect to find gods there

I'm not sure what the Silmarillion is supposed to be if not a literal account of events. You say Maglor is a mythical person, but if that's so, then Galadriel, Celeborn, and Cirdan must be equally mythical, with Elrond at least halfway as mythical, and all of them are very physical through the entirety of Third Age. Indeed, the running theme of the Third Age is that it is the last Age in which ancient myth and magic play an active role in the world; after its conclusion, all the remaining Elves and divine emissaries retreat across the sea to Valinor – analogous to going up Olympus in your metaphor – and become inaccessible to mortal men, or else remain and fade into imperceptibility.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

it's an elven source that recounts their own history up to and before their own coming into existence, it must be mythical

i think you're supposed to read the silmarillion more like how ancient historians wrote about history, there are clear falsehoods and impossibilities mixed in with real events in the writings of most ancient historians, but this wasn't contradictory to them and the idea of literal, factual historical writing is relatively new. i think there's a sense that something like the voyage of earendil where he goes through the doors of night and becomes a star is less a literal, physical fact and more like a blending of events and myth. this works well with the idea that all of the stories are framed narratives, the lord of the rings is supposed to be a translation of a book written by a hobbit

this idea appeals to me more because it goes against the sort of recent stuff about "worldbuilding" where you have a fully internally consistent world with a narrator-authority like in derivative fantasy and science fiction

I think I've identified part of the disconnect between us. You're committing an easily-made error by assuming that because The Lord of the Rings was published first, the later-published Silmarillion must be mere prequel or backstory, invented after the fact to expand on the world in which LotR takes place, when in actuality the opposite is true. The stories making up the Silmarillion were Tolkien's life's work long before The Lord of the Rings story was ever conceived; The Lord of the Rings is literally an after-thought.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 19, 2021

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

That is true and absolutely worth keeping in mind; however, everything I've read and heard about how Christopher Tolkien approached that project says that he made as few alterations and additions as possible to what his father wrote, so I think that the main thrust of the work remains, as does the main thrust of my argument.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

skasion posted:

What does it mean that the planet Venus is a man in a boat with a jewel? It means that’s the way elves look at the universe.

This smacks of Tolkien's late life effort to reconcile his stories with the scientific fact of the universe (such as the world always having been round, the sun always having been the source of the world's light, and Venus always having been visible in the sky). Despite being an impulse I understand very well, I am glad he never succeeded in finishing that effort, because it would have lessened his work. If you are approaching the text from that perspective, then I'm not sure there's any profit in us continuing to discuss this.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

no i obviously know all of that, i also don't really see why it would matter? i'm not talking about the sequence in which the books were written, i'm talking about how to best read them

My point was that the events of the Silmarillion were meant to be read as honest descriptions of real events, not as a series of just-so stories.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

euphronius posted:

They weren’t actually that’s absurd.
The Moon and Sun first rose after Galadriel had already arrived in Middle-earth by crossing over the Grinding Ice.

Pham Nuwen posted:

"Venus = a guy in a boat with a jewel" isn't just some kooky idea the Elves came up to explain that extra-bright star. Galadriel was there hanging with the gods when her uncle made the jewel in question. Earendil's son is over in Rivendell if you want to know more.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

euphronius posted:

Thats what the myth says yes. That's the whole issue.

So your assertion is that, if Bilbo goes up to Galadriel on the boat to Valinor and asks her if she saw the Sun rise for the first time, and she says "yes", she will be lying?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

euphronius posted:

We have no idea what she would say.
You're dodging the question. I didn't ask what she would actually say, I asked if she'd be lying if she said she'd seen the first sunrise.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

skasion posted:

Secret Fire or Flame Imperishable is the power of Iluvatar that animates the creation. It’s what was added to the song of the Ainur in order to make it a reality. It’s associated with the command “Eä” that God used to make the music into an actual world.

The flame of Anor is the flame of the sun. It wouldn’t seem to be the same thing since the sun is a lately created object and the secret fire is base-level essence-of-reality type stuff. I don’t think there’s any other references to it anywhere, but it may be a general expression of the idea that the sun is hostile to Morgoth’s servants.

Similarity to “Arnor” is coincidental.

If you accept the theory that Gandalf was himself a fire spirit* before his incarnation into flesh, it could be as simple as him trying to warn the Balrog off: "Man, your fire don't scare me. I was there at God's jam session a few seats down from you, next to our sister who flies the sun through the sky, and unlike you I still have my boss watching out for me, so back off."

*Basically, most Maiar are associated with a single corresponding Vala; Sauron and Saruman both started out as Maia serving Aulë the Craftsman, which you can see in their mechanistic and technological approaches – they were spirits of similar kind, but Aulë was the most powerful, so they worked under him. However, Olorin-who-would-be-Gandalf is associated with four: Manwë (air), Varda (light), Irmo (dreams), and Nienna (grief and compassion), who you can see run a gamut of associations. One possible explanation for this is that, like Arien (who flies the sun), he was a fire spirit who remained faithful to Eru, and thus Melkor's fall left him without a natural liege to follow.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

ChubbyChecker posted:

au contraire, you can flip the table if sauron is about to win

I guess that is sort of analogous to Eru making the world into a sphere...

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

It does seem a much less significant event in comparison.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

knox posted:

Bought The Silmarillion few months back, I might have seen that the Amazon series was going to be a 2nd Age thing and wanted to finally read it. How much of it is an actual like cohesive storyline, and how much are just loosely held together information describing names and how certain things are this-that? And does anyone prefer it over anything else?

There are a few sections that are essentially just lists - in particular the Valaquenta and Of Beleriand And Its Realms, and you can go ahead and skip those and refer back to them later if you want.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Well, the line specifically says it's before the Moon was stained, and the Moon has to be launched before it can be stained, so it still works.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

The Ainulindalë posted:

Then Ilúvatar said to them: 'Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music. And since I have kindled you with the Flame Imperishable, ye shall show forth your powers in adorning this theme, each with his own thoughts and devices, if he will.'

Eru is explicitly fine with improvisation, encouraging even.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Round_World_version_of_the_Silmarillion i didnt know about this actually

i dont really like this "scientific" version of the world, i really like that there's this progress from a mythical into a realistic world in the original version

i also wonder where valinor is supposed to fit into this world, is it america?

I'm finding it difficult to square this post with these statements you made earlier in the thread:

Shibawanko posted:

i dont like the idea of saving maglor because i dont think youre really supposed to read the silmarillion as a literal account of events. maglor is a mythical person and while the silmarillion says he should still be around playing his harp and weeping i don't think he could actually be found if someone were to go looking for him in the third age any more than we could go up olympus and expect to find gods there

Shibawanko posted:

it's an elven source that recounts their own history up to and before their own coming into existence, it must be mythical

i think you're supposed to read the silmarillion more like how ancient historians wrote about history, there are clear falsehoods and impossibilities mixed in with real events in the writings of most ancient historians, but this wasn't contradictory to them and the idea of literal, factual historical writing is relatively new. i think there's a sense that something like the voyage of earendil where he goes through the doors of night and becomes a star is less a literal, physical fact and more like a blending of events and myth. this works well with the idea that all of the stories are framed narratives, the lord of the rings is supposed to be a translation of a book written by a hobbit

this idea appeals to me more because it goes against the sort of recent stuff about "worldbuilding" where you have a fully internally consistent world with a narrator-authority like in derivative fantasy and science fiction

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

why? im saying the same thing in all posts: i prefer the nonrational or mythical version of the story over any version that tries to create a consistent or scientific world. the silmarillion strives to be like homer or virgil, blending myth with "real" events with no clear boundary between the two
Let me see if I can organize and articulate my thoughts clearly...

Shibawanko posted:

Shibawanko posted:

In these posts you express the idea that the Silmarillion is a mythologized account that shouldn't be taken to be literally, physically true. This logically implies that there is a literal, physical truth underlying the mythologized account. In specific, you cite the idea that Earendil is sent through the Doors of Night and becomes the morning and the evening star as a mythologized retelling of a real event. Applying Occam's Razor, we then extrapolate from our knowledge of the physical universe to determine what was physically true in the sub-created universe, and determine that if Earendil did not literally and physically become a new star, then the object we call Venus must always have existed in the sky of Middle-earth; likewise, the Sun; likewise the Moon; likewise the roundness of the world.

Shibawanko posted:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Round_World_version_of_the_Silmarillion i didnt know about this actually

i dont really like this "scientific" version of the world, i really like that there's this progress from a mythical into a realistic world in the original version

i also wonder where valinor is supposed to fit into this world, is it america?
Then you come in and say this and I wonder what the hell you think is going on. Are you advancing the notion that things can be true and not-true simultaneously? If you don't like the idea that Arda was round the entire time, why make such a point of dismissing the literal, physical truthfulness of the Silmarillion? Is your contention that Eru, in sinking Numenor and bending the world, retroactively made it have been round the whole time? I can't deny that would be within his power, but it seems counter to his general attitude of not undoing things already done.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

reignonyourparade posted:

Shibawanko's position is "they're lying or just smiling smuggly and going 'i dunno, do YOU think it's true' if anyone asks."

No, that was euphronius and SHISHKABOB. Shibawanko had already chickened out of the debate before we reached that point last time.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

mind that i'm talking more about the experience of the reader and the relationship between the silmarillion and the kind of literature it draws from than whether or not the events in the book are "true" (which isn't really an interesting question, it's a work of fiction, and we all know that valinor is real and we are going there after we die right?). tolkien was a medievalist so his influences are premodern literature, the silmarillion is written as a premodern historical account, my main point is that it's more similar to the bible or the iliad or petrarch than the more modern fiction that apes it

like premodern historical writing there's an element of irrationality to it, the story gets more fantastical the closer you get to the gods, similar to how in the iliad you get a somewhat plausible description of what was probably a real war in one moment, and paris choosing aphrodite in the next. within the story, the elves inhabit a premodern universe, while the "dominion of man" at the end of lotr is something like modernity. there's a particular scene at the end of lotr where (i think) aragorn and one of the hobbits climbs up the mountain behind minas tirith and sort of surveys the land, looking at it rationally and with modern, scientific eyes instead of the narrative perspective that the characters had up to that point: the world is losing all magical elements with the destruction of the ring and the elves going to valinor. this is also why ar pharazon sailing to aman was such a big deal, it's analogous to someone in ancient greece climbing olympus to check whether zeus is literally, physically sitting there

i didn't really say that the elves don't believe in their myths, i'm saying that they don't really obey the rules of a scientific universe like men do. for elrond or cirdan or something all of the stuff in beleriand really happened, but they themselves have an ambiguous status, i think there's another scene around the council of elrond where frodo says of either glorfindel or elrond that he's like a character from history come to life, they're as it were half real half mythical

I understand all of these words, but I don't understand how it could be someone's primary type of engagement with the text.

Shibawanko posted:

yeah. the silmarillion is not a closed ontology, there's no "just so" narrator who says that things are what they are and asks you to suspend disbelief that way, which is imo the main thing that differentiates it from "fantasy". this is why i enjoy reading it
That's not even what "closed ontology" means, (at least according to a casual google search), and, uh, is there not a narrator who tells us what things are? What, for example, is this passage, if not a narrator describing things to us?

Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin posted:

Now Fingolfin, King of the North, and High King of the Noldor, seeing that his people were become numerous and strong, and that the Men allied to them were many and valiant, pondered once more an assault upon Angband; for he knew that they lived in danger while the circle of the siege was incomplete, and Morgoth was free to labour in his deep mines, devising what evils none could foretell ere he should reveal them. This counsel was wise according to the measure of his knowledge; for the Noldor did not yet comprehend the fullness of the power of Morgoth, nor understand that their unaided war upon him was without final hope, whether they hasted or delayed.

Shibawanko posted:

when we call things "genre fiction" the main part of that accusation is that genre fiction isn't in any kind of dialogue with other works (being trapped only in its own genre), having read other works doesn't add anything to your enjoyment of "a song of ice and fire" because while it has this contrivance of being a "realistic" medieval world with people cutting eachothers heads off it's ultimately a just-so story where the author decided what is real and what isn't, things just happen because the author liked them that way and there's almost no structure to the story, it's a series of "and then this happened, and then that happened, and then that happened" like a kid making up a story on the playground
Now maybe I'm just an ignorant pleb who doesn't understand what the phrase "in dialogue with other works" means, but hasn't GRRM been fairly explicit that ASOIAF is written in reaction to the simplistic good vs. evil narratives that have dominated the fantasy landscape?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

SHISHKABOB posted:

Did I say that? I forget.

Oh I said this.

quote:

I think it's ok for the story to be ambiguous about its mythic status.

Yes you did, in direct response to me asking if Galadriel would be lying about the First Age:

Which in context pretty clearly implies

reignonyourparade posted:

"they're lying or just smiling smuggly and going 'i dunno, do YOU think it's true' if anyone asks."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Data Graham posted:

It seems like there's a lot of possibility in a fantasy world that takes place on a map that the narrative reveals in gradual detail to be precisely our own familiar Earth, just with all the names changed.

There's a David Weber series that plays with this, where naturally occurring portals link alternate Earths to one another, all with the same gross geology, but nearly all of them have no human inhabitants. The plot kicks off when two human civilizations exploring the portal networks stumble across each other on the frontier and end up in a shooting war.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

why not? when i read the silmarillion i feel like im reading a metaphorical version of history from pre-christian theology to christian modernity. again it's not entirely unlike lem where, in solaris, you get a metaphorical history of science and philosophy
As far as I understand what you're doing, it's like reading Herodotus talk about the giant ants that dig up gold, going "what an interesting pre-modern story the ancients believed in" and then completely refusing to engage with the information that actually, there are marmots that really do dig up gold occasionally where the giant ants were supposed to be, and the word for marmot sounds like the word for giant ants, and so Herodotus probably just misheard someone talking about this real animal.

quote:

ontology = how things are
closed ontology means things are fully described and nothing else may be admitted, things are the way they are with no possibility for ambiguity or other interpretations. avoiding this is also the function of tom bombadil in the story, it's supposed to be an unsolved mystery because god is infinite and his work is never complete or fully describable
I knew roughly what "ontology" meant, I just hadn't seen the term "closed ontology" before and wanted to make sure there wasn't some hidden nuance or weird shade of meaning being employed. I actually agree that the Legendarium isn't a closed ontology, but the way you first defined it was "there's no 'just so' narrator who says that things are what they are and asks you to suspend disbelief that way", which isn't an accurate description of closed ontology. It's not sufficient for a narrator to tell us X; to be a closed ontology we must be told "X, and only X".

Shibawanko posted:

that's not really a dialogue with other works, it's just a very limited reaction to a perceived trend within its own genre, with no real motivation as to why it should change except that it's not fashionable. a bit like how sci fi after 9/11 had to be all dark for no real reason other than the unconscious inclinations of the authors at the time
Well then, what is a "dialogue with other works"? Give me an example.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 18, 2021

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

why not? when i read the silmarillion i feel like im reading a metaphorical version of history from pre-christian theology to christian modernity. again it's not entirely unlike lem where, in solaris, you get a metaphorical history of science and philosophy

Anshu posted:

As far as I understand what you're doing, it's like reading Herodotus talk about the giant ants that dig up gold, going "what an interesting pre-modern story the ancients believed in" and then completely refusing to engage with the information that actually, there are marmots that really do dig up gold occasionally where the giant ants were supposed to be, and the word for marmot sounds like the word for giant ants, and so Herodotus probably just misheard someone talking about this real animal.

Actually no, it's like if Herodotus was our only surviving source from that time, and you said, "what an interesting pre-modern story the ancients believed in" and then told both the people who were taking his account at face value and the people who assumed it was all made up that they're Doing It Wrong.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

i dunno what to tell you here, every real work of literature is in dialogue with other works and always has been. shakespeare's sonnets were a revival of a stale genre, postmodern novels reacted to modern novels by fragmenting the subject-protagonist, and so on.

Those both sound a lot like "a reaction to a perceived trend within its own genre" to me. Give me a specific example of what you're talking about that no genre fiction ever has done or ever could do (because if one ever did, literati like you would suddenly find a way to reclassify it as "not genre," exactly as you're doing with Tolkien right here and now). I want "Book A by author Y is in dialogue with Book B by author Z, and we can tell because [reasons]". Go on, educate us feeble-minded plebeians.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What if the same ring-related enchantment that messes with time in Lothlórien also causes the Galadhrim to grow out hair and fingernails really slowly? And then they pass over the Sea to the Undying Lands and they get really unkempt?

If anything, the Undying Lands are likely to experience time even more slowly than Lothlorien does.