Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

James The 1st posted:

I've always loved LoTR and the Hobbit and am now greatly enjoying reading the Silmarillion for the first time. Now I was looking to purchase the Unfinished Tales and the children of Hurin, but some people on Amazon are saying the story in Hurin is also in Unfinished Tales word for word. Is this nonsense?

A story of Hurin is in Unfinished Tales, IIRC, but it's not at all the same as Children of Hurin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

No, anyone sufficiently powerful can wield it. Yes, they will be corrupted, but that doesn't mean they will become subservient to Sauron's will. Gandalf and Galadriel both talk about it.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

The text always implied to me that Evil - or at least a lot of the things that the Elves perceived as evil - was sort of built-in.

quote:

Then Ilúvatar spoke, and he said: 'Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Ilúvatar, those things that ye have sung and played, lo! I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'

quote:

And thou, Melkor, wilt discover all the secret thoughts of thy mind, and wilt perceive that they are but a part of the whole and
tributary to its glory.'

Ilúvatar has some sort of grand plan for the world, and all of what Melkor did was somehow part of it. It's just that all the people telling the story* take those things as Evil and believe they somehow came wholly from Melkor.

*)

quote:

This was made by Rúmil of Túna in the Elder Days.
It is here written as it was spoken in Eressëa
to Ælfwine by Pengoloð the Sage.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

loving iTunes. Is there any way to get that to work in Android?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

skasion posted:

Eragon isn’t even ripping off Tolkien except at a remove, it’s Star Wars dressed up in the rotting hide of Tad Williams

Wasn't Eragon written by like an 11 year old kid?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Grave of the Fëanorians

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Judgment at Númenor

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Balin Does Belfalas

Durin Does Dwarrowdelf

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Helcaraxë or High Water

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Happy Gil-galad

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Finding Dori

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Three Billboards Outside Erebor, Middle Earth

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Felis Catus
is your taxonomic nomenclature
An endothermic quadruped
carnivorous by nature...

:perfect:

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Also they help shield the mind of the wearer from jerks like Sauron, and perhaps like the One Ring possibly aid in reading the minds of others. Galadriel and Elrond seem perceptive, and I believe it's stated that they can perceive Sauron's designs whereas he (lacking the one ring) cannot perceive their own.

In Galadriel's case, I wonder how much of that is really from the ring, and how much is just because she's the oldest, most powerful elf in Middle Earth, who saw the light of the Trees and learned much of perception from Melian.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps one of you can give a better idea, but just where did Ungoliant come from? She seems like she's almost from a different dimension than other beings in Tolkien's writing. She's not a Valar, if she was a Maia she's extremely loving powerful to contend with Melkor, and the only explanation I've seen that sounds possible (but unconfirmed) is that she is the manifestation of the all-consuming void.

Also her song on Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth album (the best Tolkien adaptation, fight me) kicks rear end.

There may be more Valar than the 14 Lords and Queens. (This seems to be a controversial idea, and the text isn't extremely clear about it.) She could be one of them.

Or something related to this:

Ainulindalë posted:

Yet some things there are that they [the Valar] cannot see, neither alone nor taking counsel together; for to none but himself has Iluvatar revealed all that he has in store, and in every age there come forth things that are new and have no foretelling, for they do not proceed from the past.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

webmeister posted:

Related question: I've never actually watched anything on Amazon Prime (it launched pretty late in Australia). Are any of their original shows actually good?

Now that The Expanse is on there...

The Boys was also pretty good.
I liked Electric Sheep on there too.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

William Bear posted:

A beautiful song that never would have existed outside Arda Marred.

:perfect:

Those kinds of passages are the reason Tolkien is the greatest. The ability to state something like that without sounding exaggerated, contrived, or corny is marvelous.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Or put another way,

“See, you gotta have stuff that sucks to have stuff that’s cool.”

— Butt-head

I intended to refer to the written passage, and the superlatives with which it describes Lúthien's song.

But this works too. My quote was clumsy. :effort:

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Just after Frodo takes the Ring off while on Amon Hen, he feels an arm groping away blindly to the north and west above him. Movie should have had a giant cloud-arm shoving out of Barad-dur and reaching away towards him. (As silly and on the nose as it is I actually think it works fairly well as a visual metaphor for the movies well enough.)

Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLKk2_2zQwg

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Kid-friendly, you say?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

same with sci fi: strugatsky, lem and dick is all that was really needed

*Herbert waves from the back*

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

webmeister posted:

Sing all the songs to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel (or Gilligan's Island, if you're into that)

It's Tolkien, not Emily Dickinson!

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Also something else I've wondered WRT the three hosts of the Noldor. They clearly brought their women with them given how Aredhel, Galadriel and Finduilas came over with the hosts. For an event like the First Kinslaying would they have participated and then jump aboard the ships with Fëanor's host, or would Fëanor have left the women behind and those women followed Fingolfin's host across the ice?

Probably some of them were in each host. :shrug:
Galadriel herself crossed the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

If an elf's name starts with F, they're kind of a cock; if their name starts with C, they're a mega-cock, and if their name starts with M, they're relatively cool.

Fingolfin is pretty much the coolest and best elf, so there are definitely exceptions.